2019 Maxfli Tour and Tour X Golf Balls

Our Sponsors

19 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

John I feel a little like the odd man out because my experience seems to be a little different from the other testers. From a distance stand point compared to the Snell and Taylormade TP 5 the Maxfli in both versions were short by 10 to 15 yards with the driver. Long irons were short by 5 to 10 yards. The weird part was the shorter irons were longer by about 5 yards. Pitching, chipping and putting I found difficult because the Maxfli jumped off the face of these clubs. I found distance control while putting very difficult even in wet soft conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have found similar results so far. Definitely shorter within the long game when compared to the Snell. 

• Sad 1

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ball failed float test.. Went straight to bottom of the pond. Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - It's always amazing to me how equipment will react to different swings differently.  This is exactly why its dangerous whenever someone starts a thread labeled, what should I do (ab

A bit late to the game so far, as my job has had me busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, but here goes...   First, many thanks to the Board and to Maxfli for the opportunity to try

Posted Images

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So in a nutshell, these balls are very well balanced.  Of the 24 balls, all but one floated to a different high point in the salt bath. The one outlier wasn't off that much - just not as random as the others.  I rolled/spun each ball 5x and marked the high spot.  That mark was always in a different place.  That being the case, the OEM mark can essentially be placed anywhere.  I'd love to know if Maxfli does a balancing test on each ball or is simply controlling the mfg. process such that they have statistical confidence that all will be very well balanced.  I say very well because I think it unlikely "perfectly balanced" is attainable.  Also would like to know if Maxfli does any kind of test that does dictate where the "alignment stripe" is positioned.  I'll share more specifics, pictures and video of the salt test later.

I just did my salt test last night, and found the same thing. None were perfectly balanced, always slowly floating to the same spot. One of the balls actually fell on the CG line, but none right on the CG spot (which appears to be Maxfli's claim). All marked up and ready for the course!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

How are the distances comparing across your clubs to your previous gamer?  Are you seeing the distance separation that you normally do between woods/irons/wedges?

As I mentioned, they seem to be a bit shorter. What I've found most interesting (and am curious to see what the other testers experience has been) is that, especially the Tour X, is SO FIRM! It feels like I'm hitting rocks. 

I went so far as to test impact because everything felt so heavy like I was hitting them thin. Dead center impacts, still felt thin. Needless to say, like many of the other testers, I have developed a preference so far. Definitely not a large enough sample size, but who doesn't want to play MORE golf?!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

What I've found most interesting (and am curious to see what the other testers experience has been) is that, especially the Tour X, is SO FIRM! It feels like I'm hitting rocks.

+1 on that.  Definitely feels harder to me as well but I wouldn't go so far as to describe it as hitting a rock.   Then again, I'm not hitting them at 120+ mph 🙂.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Welcome to any and all who are interested in learning about the Maxfli Tour and Tour X golf balls. As always it’s an honor to be selected as a tester so a big shout out to Maxfli and MGS for the opportunity.

I’ve seen some questions pop up already but I wanted to hit on some basic stuff in this first post. While we were originally selected as groups of six to test the Maxfli Tour or Tour X balls we were actually each sent a customized dozen of both ball types and instructed to pick the one that we felt worked best to review.

IMG_1363.thumb.JPG.3a82c1dc6c2e950c97701d4800cc5be7.JPG

I’m an experienced (read north of 60) low handicap golfer with a driver SS in the mid 90’s. I rely on accuracy, consistency and short game to score. My ball needs to fit into those categories and give me the maximum driver distance possible as well. I always play the same urethane ball throughout the season and do my testing, if I’m considering making a switch, in late October for next season’s ball.

As always my ball testing starts on the green so off I went to the local muni around the corner from work for step one.

IMG_1375.thumb.JPG.03e934581f691f46291c13b721bfa3a4.JPG

Both balls felt great around the green and both had good spin. I had little trouble controlling them although at first the x ball seemed to stop quicker even than my current gamer, the Pro VIx.

IMG_1386.thumb.JPG.e6ff3b27e2c8bc5cd045c56b5c4c0ee1.JPG

From the around the green session I determined that either ball fit the bill for short game in regards to spin and that their feel was fine - unlike some I’m not big on feel anyway.

Next up it’s time to move on to the long game at my home club. More about that and answers to some of your questions later as well as a reveal about which ball I’ve decided to focus on reviewing and why.

IMG_1381.thumb.JPG.dc0984a0003f225a644825d507b672d9.JPG

See you out at the Bayou!

• Like 7

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

As I mentioned, they seem to be a bit shorter. What I've found most interesting (and am curious to see what the other testers experience has been) is that, especially the Tour X, is SO FIRM! It feels like I'm hitting rocks. 

I went so far as to test impact because everything felt so heavy like I was hitting them thin. Dead center impacts, still felt thin. Needless to say, like many of the other testers, I have developed a preference so far. Definitely not a large enough sample size, but who doesn't want to play MORE golf?!

Wow - this will show you how feel is subjective. To me the regular Tour “feels” firmer than the Tour X. The Tour X spins better around the green during my times using it. Both balls feel firmer to me than the Pro VIx. However I’ve been using that ball for four years so it’s what I’m used to.

I certainly hit the Tour X significantly shorter than the Tour - close to ten yards off the tee, a larger gap than that with my gamer. But according to my Swing Caddy that shouldn’t be the case. My swing speed was around 95 with each ball, ball speed between 130-135 and distance around 230. It could be that the Tour rolls out better as it clearly flies flatter.

• Like 3

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

10 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

How are the distances comparing across your clubs to your previous gamer?  Are you seeing the distance separation that you normally do between woods/irons/wedges?

So far overall distance is about the same. I do have to say, as I look back over my notes I keep coming back to the ball flight on my wedge shots. I have noticed that there is a bit more POP from the ball. It is not that I am getting more distance but I am getting more height. This is key for me on some shots like if I need to get over a bunker. See the shot below.

This is a 435 par 4 with OB left plus bunker at 250 off the tee. With trees up the right side and a bunked on the right at 100 out I tend to find my self short of this green side bunked a lot. The green is elevated enough where a low chip might go into the bunker or run most the way across the green. The extra height I am getting with both balls has been nice. More testing needed but this has been a nice outcome so far. IMG_4063.JPG.66a83cf48176aba7dfaab57f0a333a64.JPG

• Like 6

Driver:    :taylormade-small:  M2 9.5°

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed

Irons:      :taylormade-small: RocketBallz 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Mill Grind 2 50° - Tour Preferred EF 54° & 60°

Putter:    :taylormade-small: Ghost Tour Black Maranello

Ball :        :titelist-small:  ProV1

38 minutes ago, the_hammer said:

So far overall distance is about the same. I do have to say, as I look back over my notes I keep coming back to the ball flight on my wedge shots. I have noticed that there is a bit more POP from the ball. It is not that I am getting more distance but I am getting more height. This is key for me on some shots like if I need to get over a bunker. See the shot below.

This is a 435 par 4 with OB left plus bunker at 250 off the tee. With trees up the right side and a bunked on the right at 100 out I tend to find my self short of this green side bunked a lot. The green is elevated enough where a low chip might go into the bunker or run most the way across the green. The extra height I am getting with both balls has been nice. More testing needed but this has been a nice outcome so far. IMG_4063.JPG.66a83cf48176aba7dfaab57f0a333a64.JPG

That fairway looks outstanding. 

• Like 2

Gapping is the same thus far but there is a radical difference in driver distance for me. For me, the Tour is significantly longer than the Tour x, close to 10 yards. The Tour X launches higher but when I get to the balls it’s always shorter of the two.

I’m fortunate that I’m a member of a private club that’s in its shoulder season. That means I can go out, take as many balls as I want and play a few holes with them. After nearly 3 weeks there has never been a time where a Maxfli Tour X has been longer than my gamer and rarely a time that’s it’s past the Tour.

I really like the Tour - one of the best feeling balls I’ve ever played off the putter. As an older guy I recall what balata was like - this reminds me a lot of the Ram Tour balata 100’s that I used to swear by (and at.)

BTW as an Old School guy the balls that are called “soft” today feel about as much like Balata as a modern McDonalds burger tastes like real meat.

IMG_1389.thumb.JPG.b465b78b83768841e0f15b9419ff6753.JPG

Thanks

• Like 6

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

10 hours ago, revkev said:

For me, the Tour is significantly longer than the Tour x, close to 10 yards. The Tour X launches higher but when I get to the balls it’s always shorter of the two.

This is what I'm seeing as well, the Tour is longer by about 5-7 yards.  I guess that's significant but not having done any ball testing or fitting, honestly don't know what is considered significant?  Playing 2 ball last week in Bozeman I had several holes where both drives were really solid.  In all cases the Tour was the longer ball.  I didn't notice appreciable difference in ball height.  Can't say for certain, but suspect the lower compression (90 vs. 100) is better suited to my high 90's swing speed; perhaps just not compressing the Tour X enough?

Drives on #10. Tour X in the center left (256), Tour over to the far right (262).

1282867791_driveshole10.jpg.8329971b721469687d5bae7930cf2d21.jpg

Drives on #14. Tour in the center (273), Tour X left side (265). 

1416412884_driveshole14.jpg.cb0401a149a263aa4f876098a8423664.jpg

• Like 4

You know you can hit balls on a launch monitor on the moon dressed in a Mickey Mouse Suit or you can cut them in half, submerge then in acid or even microwave them like Popcorn but until you get these puppies on the course golf you really don’t know if they will work for you. The good news is there are a lot of fantastic testers putting them through their paces. While the reviews and feedback will most definitely be varied with so many testers you are assured a comprehensive review.

• Like 6

@jddaigneault @revkev if you guys still have the specific "Tour x" ball that feels like a rock (JD) and softer than the regular tour ball (rev), would you consider cutting those balls to see if they are indeed the same ball?

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Hmm, I'll be keeping a close eye on this.  A Tour thru 3 rounds.  Both eyebrows are little flaps if lifted.  I haven't seen any of this on my Pro's or ChromeSoft's in like a really long time.  This ball did hit a tree mid way thru round 3 but I looked at it on the green and did not see these... just the spot below the black dot.

2069990287_Tourafter2rounds.jpg.ffbccc729e2abe574497eea5d1df887c.jpg

Durability ranks high on my list, particularly at the price point for the "tour level" balls.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

John I feel a little like the odd man out because my experience seems to be a little different from the other testers. From a distance stand point compared to the Snell and Taylormade TP 5 the Maxfli in both versions were short by 10 to 15 yards with the driver. Long irons were short by 5 to 10 yards. The weird part was the shorter irons with the Maxfli balls were longer by about 5 yards. Pitching, chipping and putting I found difficult because the Maxfli jumped off the face of these clubs. I found distance control while putting very difficult even in wet soft conditions.

They fly much lower than most balls I have played almost as low as the AVX

I'm glad you posted this.  I remember you telling us that in Rock Hill and it was the exact reason why I posed the question.  I hope more testers will get around to answering it.  I am really interested if anyone suffers the same gapping problem you are having.

• Like 1

SkyCaddie SX400

11 hours ago, revkev said:

BTW as an Old School guy the balls that are called “soft” today feel about as much like Balata as a modern McDonalds burger tastes like real meat.

I was very fortunate to find a couple of old Titleist balata balls in my range bag a few weeks back, and this quote couldn't be more accurate.  This needs to be to be etched in stone at MGS headquarters.

SkyCaddie SX400

I'm glad you posted this.  I remember you telling us that in Rock Hill and it was the exact reason why I posed the question.  I hope more testers will get around to answering it.  I am really interested if anyone suffers the same gapping problem you are having.

I’ve been reading everyone’s input and right now most have not had the same issues I experienced.

16 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

@jddaigneault @revkev if you guys still have the specific "Tour x" ball that feels like a rock (JD) and softer than the regular tour ball (rev), would you consider cutting those balls to see if they are indeed the same ball?

Yes and yes. I’ll play a couple more rounds with it and give it the old slice and dice. 

• Like 1

A couple quick observations from some putting practice and 1 golf round.

Putting:

I had a hard time telling the two balls apart initially and was trying to find a good way to describe the difference I felt off the putter.  The X does feel a little firmer overall but it has a more dense or heavy rubber type feel where as the standard Tour ball has more of a denser plastic feel.  Not a great description but they seemed close enough in feel and I didn't have any trouble with distance control on either. I also didn't really prefer either with putting since they were close feeling but I've been playing the Tour ball for a while now so I was already comfortable with the way it feels.

1st Golf Round:

The X is definitely harder/denser feeling off of the driver and you can hear a difference in the driver sound.  I found the X to fly lower and spin more than the Tour off of all my clubs.  I hit two shots with each ball and could see a difference for sure.  I lost just a little distance with the X off of the driver (~5 yards) due to the lower launch and slightly shorter carry but it wasn't drastic.  I much prefer the Tour ball off the driver because it launches high in the air with low spin and carries a long way.  For whatever reason the X ball felt like I had to swing harder and I guess this is due to the harder feel.

Off of the irons I could see the flight much lower with the X and actually spun quite a few balls back where as the Tour ball would come into the green higher and do a one hop and stop.  I don't like balls to land and suck back because it's too unpredictable.  I did like the lower flight on my wedges with the X though.  With the Tour ball the iron shots would launch higher and stop right where they landed on the green.

• Like 4

My bag is a revolving door!

A question to the other testers and other spies who have been playing these balls.  Given that a primary marketing feature of the Maxfli Tour balls is that they are "CG Balanced" and marked at the optimum position how is everyone using (or not) this feature?  For the group doing the Official Test, I think it important that we try and assess this; both in validating the balls balance, and how it performs as an aide off the tee and on the green.

Personally, I have never marked my golf balls or used the OEM alignment line on the tee.  I prefer positioning the name/number on the tee such that, from address, I can see it at about a 45 degree angle.  I do use the factory mark on the green on longer putts - attempting to align it with where I want the ball to roll across a couple feet towards the hole.

For those of you who use these marks off the tee, how do you position the mark?  Straight down Broadway?  Offset to compensate for your typical swing path/ball flight? 

In the case of the Maxfli Tours, their alignment mark is supposed to minimize any loss in distance caused by out of balance.  What we (I) don't know is whether Maxfli performs a "spin balance", "float balance" or some new technology (as suggested by their patent pending statement). 

image.png.fe683029396b4a4dc5adcce30aecac45.png

Simply from a high rate production perspective,  it would stand to reason that these are spin balanced. It will be interesting to see if those within the tester group who have a spin balance device see correlation with the factory mark. Spin vs. float are two different tests - and not necessarily yielding like results. The saltwater float test identifies the lightest point on the ball but that does not necessarily mean the polar opposite point is the heaviest - and the axis whereby the the best spin or roll will happen.

From what I've read about this ball balancing stuff, spin balancing is best for establishing optimum ball flight.  Presuming that's true and the likelihood that the factory uses this method to establish their CG mark, I plan to try and test this off the tee.  I'm going to align straight down Broadway and then at 90 degrees to optimum... and see what happens.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I haven’t pored over the MGS ball test data in awhile but seem to recall the Maxfli ball(s) having some eyebrow raising offline statistical anomalies. Which, with consistent testing protocols, would seem to suggest some serious in-flight spin axis tilt. I believe @artful_golfer put a dozen through the epsom balance test and promptly returned them because almost every ball in the box was wonky.

Considering the reported impacts that MGS is having on the ball industry (read: manufacturing perceptions), I would be very interested to compare balance tests with the potentially “hand picked” products delivered to testers -vs- balls from retail shelves.

• Like 4

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan