GolfSpy MPR

2019 Maxfli Tour and Tour X Golf Balls

Our Sponsors

Another playing update from me.  I was able to play two rounds this weekend, one round with the Tour X and one with the Tour.  I will now say, rather definitively, that my game and the Tour X ball are NOT getting along.  While the differences between the two balls aren't as drastic as say a tour level ball vs. a 2 piece, it's enough difference for me not to feel comfortable using the Tour X to play my best.

The Tour X seems to spin too much for my game.  I'm seeing irons back up on the greens, especially with wedges which has become too unpredictable.  I also noticed the flight seemed lower on my driver with the added spin so I'm losing some carry distance.   The Tour ball launches nice and high and has a nice flat flight that carries a long way.  The X launches lower and feels heavier off the driver face (less springy feeling).

One more thing I noticed about the X ball, and I'm going to investigate this further, was that chip shots seemed to really jump off the face of my wedge much more than I'm used to with the Tour ball.  I'm going to do some more chipping with the two balls to confirm but it surprised me a few times in my last round.

• Like 7

My bag is a revolving door!

Ball failed float test.. Went straight to bottom of the pond.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

I was watching Tiger last night and while he aligns his putts with the alignment markers, when driving he actually turns them perpendicular to his club face. I found this interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Tiger uses a different brand and it doesn’t claim to be balanced along an alignment aid.

I’m going to guess he developed the habit of positioning the ball on the tee the way that he does back when you could get “seemed” by the Pro VI. You needed to position the ball as he dies for the first several iterations of that ball.

I haven’t seen a real difference in distance between using the line or not on the tee. At least not yet.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tiger uses a different brand and it doesn’t claim to be balanced along an alignment aid.

I’m going to guess he developed the habit of positioning the ball on the tee the way that he does back when you could get “seemed” by the Pro VI. You needed to position the ball as he dies for the first several iterations of that ball.

I haven’t seen a real difference in distance between using the line or not on the tee. At least not yet.

Rev I’m very much aware that Tiger uses Bridgestone and I’m also aware they do not claim to be CoG. I was just pointing out to the poster that I thought it was a little different. My comment had nothing to do with the ball testing of Maxfli products. Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

Another round of testing in.  This time with just short chips & pitches with both balls around the practice area in varying lies.  I took 10 balls of each, chipped to various pin placements & made note of reactions off the face & how close or not so close it was to the target. 

Deep rough .... the Tour had the best reaction off the face.  It wasn't too clicky off the face.  I seemed to be able to control the spin (or lack there of) with this ball vs the X.  I could predict how it was going to react a lot easier.  As opposed to the X, would just seem to scamper away and never finish near the hole.  I had to adjust where it was going to land to guard against excess roll out.  No real stopping power that I'm used to with either ball.  I even took a few shots with aligning the ball to the target out of the rough to no discernable advantage either way.  

Pitches from fringe ... again the Tour proved to be the better of the two balls.  Easier to predict reactions off the face & the amount of roll out.  

40 - 70 yard pitches .... neither of these balls perform to the high expectations that I have.  There is too much roll out, especially with the X, so it's hard for me to still play my aggressive shots (I tend to fire at all flags regardless of outcome) Even with the seemingly high trajectory, the ball seemed to advance further than I'm used to.  

Seems as though the Tour ball performs best for my game so far.  Hopefully I can get a few more rounds of testing in before the weather turns for the worse.  Ideally, I would love to see the balls performance on the simulator.  I'd like to see the actual numbers being produced vs just gauging by ball flight & feel.  

To be continued .... 

• Like 8

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX

Rev I’m very much aware that Tiger uses Bridgestone and I’m also aware they do not claim to be CoG. I was just pointing out to the poster that I thought it was a little different. My comment had nothing to do with the ball testing of Maxfli products. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the clarification - I still found it interesting because I bet it’s a holdover habit from his early days. Honestly it’s hard for me to position the Maxfli as we’ve been instructed to - thus far I’m really not finding any difference in distance or accuracy off the tee.

I should have thought to try it when putting - I will next time around for certain

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

18 minutes ago, revkev said:

Thanks for the clarification - I still found it interesting because I bet it’s a holdover habit from his early days. Honestly it’s hard for me to position the Maxfli as we’ve been instructed to - thus far I’m really not finding any difference in distance or accuracy off the tee.

I should have thought to try it when putting - I will next time around for certain

I’ve tried using an alignment line based on the high/low of the epsom salt test, and have been rolling them pretty well. I also tested them with the CG line and found good results as well. I expect that is more alignment aid and less “technology” based. I’ll run some stats to see if there’s a statistically significant difference. 

• Like 3

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm late to the party. I want to thank MGS and Maxfli from the bottom of my heart for this opportunity they gave me. Unfortunately my review will have to wait. I was finally getting my game back to where I wanted it this year, I revamped my whole entire bag this year from driver all the way to putter.

I am embarrassed and saddened to tell you this. I will be unable to perform my product testing. I had an MRI on Oct 7th prior to a follow up for my knee 2 year post op meniscus implant surgery, and unfortunately my Dr. had to perform an emergency surgery on me Friday the 11th due to my meniscus implant cracking and moving out of place. I had it repaired and the implant replaced and the surgery was a success. This makes magic surgery number 5 on this knee I'm 36 and way too young for this. I will be out of commission for the next 6-9 months for recovery. I'm sorry that I won't be able to take this journey with you. I have started PT and everything is going well so far. Hopefully this will be my last and final surgery on this knee. If there's a next one I'm just going to have the Doc take my leg from the knee down. I will continue to follow the thread, and try to give as much input from my end as much as possible. This is only a minor set back, and I will be back better than ever.

Regards,

Matt

Post Knee Surgery 5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

•  SUN_MOUNTAIN_LOGO_ORANGE.jpg.a9d08a3a8868c113b375e59d107b307c.jpg C130 USA bag 
  • Driver - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811XF - Tensei Ck Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 3 Wood - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 19*  & 22* Hybrids -  tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 82 G Stiff
  • Irons & Wedges- th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 5-PW, GW, SW, LW 45*. 50*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Elevate Tour 117 G Stiff
  • All wrapped in th6BYKY06U.jpg.498f835a9186e145cfd65f634529351e.jpgStandard Gray/Red Dri-Tacs
  • Putter - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Mustang - 33" - thSW15O8UF.jpg.640464f71a82ecf5f3ea6385b212dea0.jpg 5.0 FATSO
  • Ball - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg TP5
  • Tracked with untitled.png.d513b27db44b0030705a36f1ae5b2a97.pngV2
  • I'm a righty from Mechanicsville, VA (Richmond Area)

You are in my prayers, Matt!

• Like 4

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm late to the party. I want to thank MGS and Maxfli from the bottom of my heart for this opportunity they gave me. Unfortunately my review will have to wait. I was finally getting my game back to where I wanted it this year, I revamped my whole entire bag this year from driver all the way to putter.
I am embarrassed and saddened to tell you this. I will be unable to perform my product testing. I had an MRI on Oct 7th prior to a follow up for my knee 2 year post op meniscus implant surgery, and unfortunately my Dr. had to perform an emergency surgery on me Friday the 11th due to my meniscus implant cracking and moving out of place. I had it repaired and the implant replaced and the surgery was a success. This makes magic surgery number 5 on this knee I'm 36 and way too young for this. I will be out of commission for the next 6-9 months for recovery. I'm sorry that I won't be able to take this journey with you. I have started PT and everything is going well so far. Hopefully this will be my last and final surgery on this knee. If there's a next one I'm just going to have the Doc take my leg from the knee down. I will continue to follow the thread, and try to give as much input from my end as much as possible. This is only a minor set back, and I will be back better than ever.

Regards,

Matt
1677154783_PostKneeSurgery5.thumb.jpg.669be6c445477d1c3197330348cf44d7.jpg

Matt, pretty understandable. Speedy recovery!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Some (near the end) observations.

I was able to impose on a local golf store and use their hitting area to hit some golf balls to make my off the course observations. I used 3 unused ball of each type for 2 rounds with the driver and one round each with 7i and 9i. None showed significant damage, even after a few awful shots with the 7i. The only noticeable scuff come from the Tour X.

1: The longest and best overall  ball I hit was the Titleist Pro v1x.  This was by + 10 yards on average.  I did take the time to line up the ball along its line to do a fullest comparison. AoA was20º with good divergence, usually within 2 yards of line.  While I am not using these for my gamers, I will consider them.  Good not only for driving but with 7i and 9i as well.  There was a much better bite with the 9i than with any other ball. Obviously the biggest concern is cost of a dozen. While I tend not to lose too many golf balls in a given round, it may not be that big of a disadvantage any more.

2. The Maxfli Tour was second longest by 4 yards on average.  My AoA was about 21º with a nice on line flight with a soft fade, usually within 2 yards of line. 7i and 5h were ok, though I could not adjust for the CoG line.  By ok, I saw a slightly weaker loft with the irons and a lot of roll after the flight, even with the 9i.  Not enough to banish these to the shag bag, but something to take into consideration in how I pay them.

3. Bridgestone e12 was only 4 yards behind the Tour, though the spin off of the tee made for good loft (20º) and a very predictable roll.  Again, not marked CoG line from the manufacturer but I was never more than 3 yards off of line, though some were fades some were draws.  I am used to playing these balls and I have made adjustment to the amount of spin I get with my 9i. If I simply took the totality of what I look for and not just the distance, I would have to say this was my #2 ball.  Not sure though how much is familiarity.

4. The Maxfli TourX were, for me the most inconsistent spheres. No significant plus in terms of distance over my gamer and ball tended to fly higher than the others, so that took away some distance as well.  The CoG marking on the three that I used helped me keep a good line, though it was not as predictable as with the Tour, off by 4 yards or so at times.  Way too much spin with the 9i made it tough to have a good bite on landing, tended to run a significant amount. Of the 4 I tried today, it was clearly the #4.

The Titleist, Tour and Bridgestone will all find the way onto a course for me.  I was able to make  predictable shots and consistent results.  That for me makes a gamer.  I am not a deep into the numbers type of golfer.  I use what works well for me; I have the clubs I like and now some solid options for balls.  My goal for now is to get my handicap down by 3-4 strokes and eliminate the swing up and down I have now.  I also want to lower the height in my drives. 

I do not plan on making any full switch away from my gamer, I simply have too many on hand at this time. But, from time to time I may play the Maxfli Tour as a change of pace.  The Tour X will remain a possible, though for now, they might be used in my practice bag more than on the course.

BTW, if you prefer to play a colored ball, as I do, only the Tour is an o0tion.

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 4

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I would love to say I went out and tested the balls some more today, but the local golf course is literally on fire. California allows for year round golf, but these fires are out of control!

I’m going to the local golf shop tomorrow to see if they want to help with some launch monitor data!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

9 hours ago, Maltenator said:

I am embarrassed and saddened to tell you this. I will be unable to perform my product testing.

Do not be embarrassed.  Take care and heal quickly!  We still need that Richmond-area meetup.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, jddaigneault said:

I would love to say I went out and tested the balls some more today, but the local golf course is literally on fire. California allows for year round golf, but these fires are out of control!

I’m going to the local golf shop tomorrow to see if they want to help with some launch monitor data!

Stay safe.  I survived a fire decades ago. and my heart is with all of you in CA.

• Like 3

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 Super Bowl Champions Bag  :  :ping: G410 Plus, Alta Red CB 55 SR Flex, GX-7 14º(acting as a 3 wood),  :ping:   G400 4H, 5H. Sr Flex,   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges graphite SR Shafts (50º, 56º, 60º),  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g :bridgestone: e12 for the items I try to hit on purposematte red, so I can see them. :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Matt, have the wife help set you up for a salt bath test 👍. Hope the recovery is quick and you're back at it soon.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

20 hours ago, Maltenator said:

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Matt

Post Knee Surgery 5.jpg

dammmmmmmmm! So sorry the knee can't stay fixed... Sucks. But really happy to hear your positive and determined outlook!! 

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

The Salt Bath Test

OK.. rainy day golf-nerd project...

* Background 
Earlier this season, based on the MGS ball test, I'd purchased some MaxFli Tour and Tour X to try out ($25/doz @ Dick's when buying 2 or more). Have played both, though have not played/tested them side-by-side in the same round, and at this point I'm with the majority of the testers in that the Tour feels like the better ball of the two for me.

While I understand - in principle - the advantage of the CG Balancing I was not 100% sure of its effect; so I've been reading and following this testing thread with great interest to see others' reactions. And then with all the talk about doing the balance tests I just had to jump in and try it.

FYI - I got the Tour in the hi-vis matte green .. I like the color, though in certain conditions it does not stand out all that well (so it becomes kinda "lo-vis" 😆) and I do *not* like the matte finish on this ball - tho it's durable it retains dirt and moisture.

* Testing
I took one new ball each of...
- Maxfli Tour
- Maxfli Tour X
- Chromesoft Truvis
- Pro V1 (a few years old but kept in the basement)
and..
- a very "experienced" Top Flite Z-Balata I happened to find in my bucket on the practice range the other day.

After preparing the salt bath (ie. continually adding more and more [table, not epsom] salt until finally the ball started to float .. man it needs a lotta salt!) I dunked a ball and waited for it to settle, made sure it was not touching the side of the pot, carefully picked it up and marked the "high" point and then repeated the dunking / waiting / marking 4 more times for a total of 5 marks on each test ball.

(I ended up not testing the Noodle .. who plays those anyway?)

143768809_testsetup.thumb.jpg.fdd9da37194bc7fff28e9ff3bb954422.jpg

* Hypotheses
Pro V1 -- Even though these are a few years old, they're still new/unused and have been kept in the basement within a narrow temp / humidity range. With the vaunted Titleist quality control I would expect these to come out on top - that is: each mark should be at different spots around the ball.

Tour, Tour X -- I expected the marks to be on or very near the equator described by the stamped CG alignment line.

Chromesoft -- Might have a particular hi/lo spot or a circular area with all the marks near each other.

Z-Balata -- clearly this should be the worst; presumably with a repeated hi spot.

* Results
Again, I tested only ONE ball of each model (and noting that, statistics-wise, it is not a valid conclusion to extrapolate single subject results onto a general population), what I saw in this test was...

# Pro V1 -- negative.
Spots were not randomly marked all around the ball, and instead 4/5 marks were actually near each other and fell roughly along a straight line; the fifth mark is just out of sight (top of ball) and also close to this line. Note this "line" does not coincide with the manufacturer side-stamp; nor .. I presume .. is it supposed to.

results--ProV1.thumb.jpg.1ec4d10b88f1e70d143602ff699acd25.jpg

Again, this ball is a few years old and most likely Titleist has further improved their quality and quality control?

# MaxFli Tour -- ok.
Good - 4/5 marks, although near each other, at least are very close to the CG equator indicated by the dashed line; and then not so good - 3 of those 4 are really close together. The fifth (#2) mark is further away from that CG equator on the other side of the ball.

results--Tour.thumb.jpg.0f7891b1ed3db5eec5780b8ecab0a6aa.jpg

# MaxFli Tour X -- not so ok.
5/5 marks were clustered near each other all on one side of the ball and not anywhere near the CG equator.

results--TourX.thumb.jpg.51fb836757360011dc1f6e15037c1914.jpg

# Chromesoft Truvis -- good(-ish).
5/5 marks were separated apart but all the marks fell on one side/hemisphere of the ball; they were not scattered all around the entire ball.

results--Chromesoft.thumb.jpg.a488d0ab0c9acdc0028ae89f0c502806.jpg

# Top Flite Z-Balata -- poor, as expected.
4/4 marks (#4 not marked) were closely clustered together; effectively into a single spot.

results--Z-Balata.thumb.jpg.2cc1173a0e970935fc0b8d9b147a12a5.jpg

Call this one the placebo or "control group" test subject 😆 (ie. the float test works!)

* Conclusions
The MaxFli Tour (not X) at least had its high point nearly along the CG equator, and so when set up using the alignment line (teeing off and putting) it "should" (quote-unquote) perform as advertised; but then the Chromesoft appears to have "won" this test with the float marks the most randomly placed.

So... Unless you're going to both float test and spin balance each and every golf ball you play, and grade and mark them, then IMHO .. at the current state of the CG technology .. you're no better / no worse off just playing the "right" ball for you, the one that best fits your overall game. 

Also considering that each ball manufacturer wants to reduce sidespin, it seems in their interest to continue to refine and improve their production techniques and quality control in order to claim for themselves "CG Balanced".
(Side note - it would be interesting to also test the OnCore Elixr and a newer Chromesoft with graphene that have more perimeter-oriented weighting.)

End Notes:
This was kinda fun and helped me think a little more on just what's inside a golf ball and why it matters. FWIW, I'm going to get some MaxFli Tour in white and try to test those head-to-head vs the Chromesoft Truvis; may also pick up a sleeve of Srixon Q-Star to experiment with, too. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

21 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

The Salt Bath Test

OK.. rainy day golf-nerd project...

* Background 
Earlier this season, based on the MGS ball test, I'd purchased some MaxFli Tour and Tour X to try out ($25/doz @ Dick's when buying 2 or more). Have played both, though have not played/tested them side-by-side in the same round, and at this point I'm with the majority of the testers in that the Tour feels like the better ball of the two for me.

While I understand - in principle - the advantage of the CG Balancing I was not 100% sure of its effect; so I've been reading and following this testing thread with great interest to see others' reactions. And then with all the talk about doing the balance tests I just had to jump in and try it.

FYI - I got the Tour in the hi-vis matte green .. I like the color, though in certain conditions it does not stand out all that well (so it becomes kinda "lo-vis" 😆) and I do *not* like the matte finish on this ball - tho it's durable it retains dirt and moisture.

* Testing
I took one new ball each of...
- Maxfli Tour
- Maxfli Tour X
- Chromesoft Truvis
- Pro V1 (a few years old but kept in the basement)
and..
- a very "experienced" Top Flite Z-Balata I happened to find in my bucket on the practice range the other day.

After preparing the salt bath (ie. continually adding more and more [table, not epsom] salt until finally the ball started to float .. man it needs a lotta salt!) I dunked a ball and waited for it to settle, made sure it was not touching the side of the pot, carefully picked it up and marked the "high" point and then repeated the dunking / waiting / marking 4 more times for a total of 5 marks on each test ball.

(I ended up not testing the Noodle .. who plays those anyway?)

143768809_testsetup.thumb.jpg.fdd9da37194bc7fff28e9ff3bb954422.jpg

* Hypotheses
Pro V1 -- Even though these are a few years old, they're still new/unused and have been kept in the basement within a narrow temp / humidity range. With the vaunted Titleist quality control I would expect these to come out on top - that is: each mark should be at different spots around the ball.

Tour, Tour X -- I expected the marks to be on or very near the equator described by the stamped CG alignment line.

Chromesoft -- Might have a particular hi/lo spot or a circular area with all the marks near each other.

Z-Balata -- clearly this should be the worst; presumably with a repeated hi spot.

* Results
Again, I tested only ONE ball of each model (and noting that, statistics-wise, it is not a valid conclusion to extrapolate single subject results onto a general population), what I saw in this test was...

# Pro V1 -- negative.
Spots were not randomly marked all around the ball, and instead 4/5 marks were actually near each other and fell roughly along a straight line; the fifth mark is just out of sight (top of ball) and also close to this line. Note this "line" does not coincide with the manufacturer side-stamp; nor .. I presume .. is it supposed to.

results--ProV1.thumb.jpg.1ec4d10b88f1e70d143602ff699acd25.jpg

Again, this ball is a few years old and most likely Titleist has further improved their quality and quality control?

# MaxFli Tour -- ok.
Good - 4/5 marks, although near each other, at least are very close to the CG equator indicated by the dashed line; and then not so good - 3 of those 4 are really close together. The fifth (#2) mark is further away from that CG equator on the other side of the ball.

results--Tour.thumb.jpg.0f7891b1ed3db5eec5780b8ecab0a6aa.jpg

# MaxFli Tour X -- not so ok.
5/5 marks were clustered near each other all on one side of the ball and not anywhere near the CG equator.

results--TourX.thumb.jpg.51fb836757360011dc1f6e15037c1914.jpg

# Chromesoft Truvis -- good(-ish).
5/5 marks were separated apart but all the marks fell on one side/hemisphere of the ball; they were not scattered all around the entire ball.

results--Chromesoft.thumb.jpg.a488d0ab0c9acdc0028ae89f0c502806.jpg

# Top Flite Z-Balata -- poor, as expected.
4/4 marks (#4 not marked) were closely clustered together; effectively into a single spot.

results--Z-Balata.thumb.jpg.2cc1173a0e970935fc0b8d9b147a12a5.jpg

Call this one the placebo or "control group" test subject 😆 (ie. the float test works!)

* Conclusions
The MaxFli Tour (not X) at least had its high point nearly along the CG equator, and so when set up using the alignment line (teeing off and putting) it "should" (quote-unquote) perform as advertised; but then the Chromesoft appears to have "won" this test with the float marks the most randomly placed.

So... Unless you're going to both float test and spin balance each and every golf ball you play, and grade and mark them, then IMHO .. at the current state of the CG technology .. you're no better / no worse off just playing the "right" ball for you, the one that best fits your overall game. 

Also considering that each ball manufacturer wants to reduce sidespin, it seems in their interest to continue to refine and improve their production techniques and quality control in order to claim for themselves "CG Balanced".
(Side note - it would be interesting to also test the OnCore Elixr and a newer Chromesoft with graphene that have more perimeter-oriented weighting.)

End Notes:
This was kinda fun and helped me think a little more on just what's inside a golf ball and why it matters. FWIW, I'm going to get some MaxFli Tour in white and try to test those head-to-head vs the Chromesoft Truvis; may also pick up a sleeve of Srixon Q-Star to experiment with, too. 

Wow a Z-Balata, I haven't seen one of those in years. I'm surprised that it hasn't just disintegrated yet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Matt, have the wife help set you up for a salt bath test 👍. Hope the recovery is quick and you're back at it soon.

Well my wife is an RN. I throughouly enjoyed the sponge baths the first two weeks of recovery. lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

•  SUN_MOUNTAIN_LOGO_ORANGE.jpg.a9d08a3a8868c113b375e59d107b307c.jpg C130 USA bag 
  • Driver - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811XF - Tensei Ck Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 3 Wood - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 65 G Stiff
  • 19*  & 22* Hybrids -  tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg M6 - Tensei CK Orange - 82 G Stiff
  • Irons & Wedges- th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 5-PW, GW, SW, LW 45*. 50*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Elevate Tour 117 G Stiff
  • All wrapped in th6BYKY06U.jpg.498f835a9186e145cfd65f634529351e.jpgStandard Gray/Red Dri-Tacs
  • Putter - th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Mustang - 33" - thSW15O8UF.jpg.640464f71a82ecf5f3ea6385b212dea0.jpg 5.0 FATSO
  • Ball - tm.jpg.b933503b8a6713406bcc109c48c76358.jpg TP5
  • Tracked with untitled.png.d513b27db44b0030705a36f1ae5b2a97.pngV2
  • I'm a righty from Mechanicsville, VA (Richmond Area)

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Matt
1677154783_PostKneeSurgery5.thumb.jpg.669be6c445477d1c3197330348cf44d7.jpg
Best of luck to you with your recovery. Keep us posted on how you're doing and hopefully you'll be back to new sooner rather than later.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2