Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2019 Maxfli Tour and Tour X Golf Balls

GolfSpy MPR

21 hours ago, golfinnut said:

So I got out the other day in what will probably be one of the last rounds of the year.  It was only around 40* at the 1st tee.  Wasn't really bad as I prefer the cold temperatures.  

This ball does not like the cold.  Either one.  They were both really short off the tee & the irons.  Not sure if it really was the cold air but they seemed to be like rocks off the clubface.  Especially short pitches around the green ... a more noticeable "click" sound to them.  I couldn't get them to stop at all & the greens were still holding, as I could stop other balls.  But these I just couldn't control the distances at all.  I was able to hit multiple shots on the holes as there were only about 3 other groups out on the course.  With no one in front or behind me, it was a great time for practice.  

Both balls were considerably behind the other two balls I was gaming at the time, ProV1 & Srixon Z-Star XV.  I had to take one club more into the greens & they were about 5 - 8 yards behind off the tee.  Not much mind you, but  still.   They did perform pretty well into the wind though.  Didn't balloon or drop out of the sky.  That was about the only "Good" thing they did that day.  Maybe it wasn't a good test to be out in the cold air?  These balls all start out at room temperature, as I keep all my golf stuff in the corner of the Nut Cave in the house.  I would rotate the balls on each hole ... warm them up as best I could in my pockets.  

Hopefully there is still more golf for me before Old Man Winter finally sets in.  Sure wish I was retired so I could play more.  Oh well. 

Till next time  ...... 

I'm developing a theory with these balls, particularly the Tour x.  Would you mind telling us a bit about your driver swing speed and swing type again.

Thanks

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

22 hours ago, revkev said:

I'm developing a theory with these balls, particularly the Tour x.  Would you mind telling us a bit about your driver swing speed and swing type again.

Thanks

95 - 100 mph swing speed ... 102 on occasion when I really go after it.  But that's not often because it never really works out.  HA! 

I'm more of a sweeper of the ball.  Even with my irons.  I don't compress the ball as much as I should.  That's why my aOa is so negative ... I seem to increase the loft at impact a bit.  I imagine if I actually took some lessons I could fix it but I'm too lazy & cheap to get them.  It works for me & I can get around any course with it & the ball still gets out there.  So .... I just felt like I was leaving something out there with these balls in the cold air.  Maybe it was me & my perception of it but constantly coming up short with iron shots to the green got frustrating.  Especially when I would drop another ball (my current gamer) from the same place & put it on the green with no problem.  So I don't think it was me.  

I will try & play them again soon just to confirm.  Just hope to get out again before the snow hits & closes the courses for a while.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

On 11/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, revkev said:

Thanks guys -

It's always amazing to me how equipment will react to different swings differently.  This is exactly why its dangerous whenever someone starts a thread labeled, what should I do (about equipment) or what's the best so and so.  There's really no right or wrong answer to that question because it needs more info - just like reviews need more info - you need to know the type of player that the equipment best fits - The guys that I played with on Monday were stunned at the number of woods that I have in my bag but these lofted woods work for me - so much so that I'm longer off the turf with 5 wood than I am with 3 wood (I carry 3 wood because the rules allow for 14 clubs and I do hit it well off the tee).  I had birdie putts inside of 25 feet on the two par 3 threes that required 9 wood - the guys that I played with could not hit their 5 irons or hybrids high enough or straight enough to get the ball on the green while I just carried mine up there between all the traps and it stuck.

But would a 9 wood be the best choice for a guy who swings 117 mph who might also be a digger?  Not a chance.

The same holds true for golf balls - the difference between the Pro VIx and the Maxfli Tour x is stunning to me - I haven't seen that big a difference in distance off the tee with a golf ball since the days of balata and top flites.  But I thought that there might be a swing type that the Tour x worked for.  Beyond a doubt there are lots of swing types where the Tour is a fit - really anyone who hits a Pro VI ball type will like the Tour. 

Just as Top Flite is no longer made by Spalding,  Maxfli is no longer made by Dunlop.

When you get to be my age, you may still be alive but your world isn't. You're living in another generation's world.

My first golf balls, these coming with the clubs handed down by my uncle, were Dunlops, purchased in Bermuda, that were 1.62" in diameter. That was the official R&A size back then.  My first golf ball as a frequent player  was the original non-wound Spalding Top Flite (1.68", of course).  Both models are long buried in history, even deeper than wound Titleists..

Rev mentions nine-woods.  A modern nine-wood is maybe a degree or two weaker than a traditional wooden 5-wood from the sixties.  If I were still playing, I'd carry one, too.   I wouldn't carry a jumbo head driver like Rev does, though. I'd handle tee duties with a mini-driver / driving iron combo.  Modern big drivers come lofted enough--I believe Rev goes with 12º--but you still have to play the ball more forward and tee it higher than I'd be comfortable doing. I like to push tees down almost to the cup. Down to the cup with irons. I usually used a broken tee that I found on the tee box.

Rev hits the Pro V1x.  What might be a good ball for me if I still played?  I'm bigger than Rev (if he goes 165) but older and less flexible. I never played at his level, but I was an eight in my prime with a backswing that never came close to reaching parallel.  I still drove the ball 220 yards or more--with a strong fairway wood-- quite late in my recreational golf career.  

This post is a waste of time--ramblings from my having too much time on my hands.  I'm sure you've all dropped out by now,  but writing it gave me something to do. I'm not in the mood for fighting on the political forums today, so indulge me.

4 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Just as Top Flite is no longer made by Spalding,  Maxfli is no longer made by Dunlop.

When you get to be my age, you may still be alive but your world isn't. You're living in another generation's world.

My first golf balls, these coming with the clubs handed down by my uncle, were Dunlops, purchased in Bermuda, that were 1.62" in diameter. That was the official R&A size back then.  My first golf ball as a frequent player  was the original non-wound Spalding Top Flite (1.68", of course).  Both models are long buried in history, even deeper than wound Titleists..

Rev mentions nine-woods.  A modern nine-wood is maybe a degree or two weaker than a traditional wooden 5-wood from the sixties.  If I were still playing, I'd carry one, too.   I wouldn't carry a jumbo head driver like Rev does, though. I'd handle tee duties with a mini-driver / driving iron combo.  Modern big drivers come lofted enough--I believe Rev goes with 12º--but you still have to play the ball more forward and tee it higher than I'd be comfortable doing. I like to push tees down almost to the cup. Down to the cup with irons. I usually used a broken tee that I found on the tee box.

Rev hits the Pro V1x.  What might be a good ball for me if I still played?  I'm bigger than Rev (if he goes 165) but older and less flexible. I never played at his level, but I was an eight in my prime with a backswing that never came close to reaching parallel.  I still drove the ball 220 yards or more--with a strong fairway wood-- quite late in my recreational golf career.  

This post is a waste of time--ramblings from my having too much time on my hands.  I'm sure you've all dropped out by now,  but writing it gave me something to do. I'm not in the mood for fighting on the political forums today, so indulge me.

I liked your post - thanks

When it was wound, two piece, surlyn or balata I often drove with a 3 wood as well.  It took me a while to get used to the big headed drivers but I did - because I was giving up too much of an advantage to those who were playing them.  First it was 225 cc's then it was 275 then 300, then 385.  I'm used to 460 now and don't see what the fuss is but it would have been brutal to go from that old Tommy Armor driver to 460 all at once. 

I played with a young guy last Friday who plays such a different game from what we could have imagined as kids.  Driver, 9 iron into the wind on our 467 yard par 4 from the tips first hole and on and on it went like that all day.

But Nifty had we been a generation older we'd have been moaning about these kids and their steal shafts while pining after the day or hickory and gutta peecha - you're right - live long enough and it's no longer your world anymore.  You may be there and it's almost at that point for me. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I liked your post - thanks

When it was wound, two piece, surlyn or balata I often drove with a 3 wood as well.  It took me a while to get used to the big headed drivers but I did - because I was giving up too much of an advantage to those who were playing them.  First it was 225 cc's then it was 275 then 300, then 385.  I'm used to 460 now and don't see what the fuss is but it would have been brutal to go from that old Tommy Armor driver to 460 all at once. 

I played with a young guy last Friday who plays such a different game from what we could have imagined as kids.  Driver, 9 iron into the wind on our 467 yard par 4 from the tips first hole and on and on it went like that all day.

But Nifty had we been a generation older we'd have been moaning about these kids and their steal shafts while pining after the day or hickory and gutta peecha - you're right - live long enough and it's no longer your world anymore.  You may be there and it's almost at that point for me. 

If I’m playing a scramble I’m still taking you guys, short game only gets better with age!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Yesterday, I finally had a chance to test and game the MAXFLI golf balls @ Trophy Club's Hogan Course 😀 from the Copper Tees @ approximately 6,650 yards. Fun fact - this is the only golf course Ben Hogan ever designed for a fee and is considered his "singular design" work. He consulted on Colonial and Shady Oaks, but as a favor to his mentor, Marvin Leonard.

Weather was in the mid-60s and the wind wasn't really a factor, maybe only blowing up to 10 mph occasionally. It was cooler, so I think my distance was down maybe 1/2 club length through the bag. My recorded statistics;

Fairways = 57%

GIR = 56%

Putts = 29

Overall, I didn't play that great only scoring a bogey golf 90, with a 46 on the front with the Tour ball and a slight improvement of 44 on the back with the Tour X. I drove the ball pretty straight with both balls, the Tour and Tour X, but the X gave me a little more distance. Maybe because it warmed up in the afternoon? I did hit two really bad shots with each ball - a shank leading to a snowman on a Par 5, Hole #6 with the Tour and a stone topped 7-iron that I splashed into a creek on my approach with the Tour X @ Hole #14 from 150 yards.

Here's an approach shot that I hit on #1 with a 7-iron from 145 yards out of the rough, slightly uphill with the Tour ball. The ball spun well enough, IMO, based on it not releasing more than 12 feet from a flier lie. I missed the birdie, though, much to my chagrin. Greens were running pretty darn fast.

910896148_TC17-iron.thumb.jpg.778338c39663c997a19fecfdc239974c.jpg

Here's a full pitching wedge that I hit from 118 yards on #10 to a front pin with the Tour X ball. 

338558484_TC10PW.thumb.jpg.5be62c74753e34a9adcf638ece39f945.jpg

The pitch mark is only about 3-feet away from where the ball stopped, so that's not bad for a full swing with a 46-degree PW. I like that result. Ball flight was a high draw that I carried 120 yards just past the hole.

1901059636_TC10PWb.thumb.jpg.d1df2028df38c9a514371e5e388ed29d.jpg

In my opinion, the MAXFLI 3-piece Tour felt slightly harder than the 4-piece Tour X, but its ball flight was comparable. The Tour's performance compared favorably to my usual gamer, the 3-piece K-Sigs. My stock shot is a medium-high draw, and MAXFLI Tour X also performed well when compared to most other premium balls I've gamed; ProV1, TPX5, Chrome Soft, etc. The Tour ball didn't appear to fly as far when struck well with my driver nor spin as much as the Tour X. But, I'm basing this opinion only on my observations and results with pitches, chips, and short-iron approaches. Both are good balls and more than adequate for mid-handicappers like me.

If you can spend $35 for a dozen golf balls, I'd recommend saving a few bucks @ DICK's for the 4-piece Tour X rather than dropping $50 for other super-premium offerings. In my limited experience, the 3-piece Tour is comparable to my K-Sigs, IMO, and isn't worth spending the additional money on ($2.92 per ball vs $1.00 each). But, $24 for two dozen, 3-piece urethane balls is hard to beat! Thank you, Costco.

Based on my on-course results, ball flight, and performance, your scores shouldn't drop off much, if at all, with MAXFLI golf balls. Given a choice, I prefer the Tour X ball for its slightly softer feel and its better distance off the tee. I'm actually surprised they're both priced the same @ DICK's

Edited by J.B. TexasEx
* Got the math wrong on Tour X retail price versus K-Sigs

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Yesterday, I finally had a chance to test and game the MAXFLI golf balls @ Trophy Club's Hogan Course  from the Copper Tees @ approximately 6,650 yards. Fun fact - this is the only golf course Ben Hogan ever designed for a fee and is considered his "singular design" work. He consulted on Colonial and Shady Oaks, but as a favor to his mentor, Marvin Leonard.
Weather was in the mid-60s and the wind wasn't really a factor, maybe only blowing up to 10 mph occasionally. It was cooler, so I think my distance was down maybe 1/2 club length through the bag. My recorded statistics;
Fairways = 57%,
GIR = 56%
Putts = 29

Overall, I didn't play that great only scoring a bogey golf 90, with a 46 on the front with the Tour ball and a slight improvement of 44 on the back with the Tour X. I drove the ball pretty straight with both balls, the Tour and Tour X, but the X gave me a little more distance. I did hit two really bad shots with each ball - a shank leading to a snowman on a Par 5, Hole #6 with the Tour and a stone topped 7-iron that I splashed into a creek on my approach with the Tour X @ Hole #14 from 150 yards.
Here's an approach shot that I hit on #1 with a 7-iron from 145 yards out of the rough, slightly uphill with the Tour ball. The ball spun well enough, IMO, based on it not releasing more than 12 feet from a flier lie. I missed the birdie, though, much to my chagrin. Greens were running pretty darn fast.
910896148_TC17-iron.thumb.jpg.778338c39663c997a19fecfdc239974c.jpg
Here's a full pitching wedge that I hit from 118 yards on #10 with the Tour X ball. 
338558484_TC10PW.thumb.jpg.5be62c74753e34a9adcf638ece39f945.jpg
The pitch mark is only about 3-feet away from where the ball stopped, so that's not bad for a full swing with a 46-degree PW. I like that result. Ball flight was a high draw that I carried 120 yards just past the hole.
1901059636_TC10PWb.thumb.jpg.d1df2028df38c9a514371e5e388ed29d.jpg
In my opinion, the MAXFLI 3-piece Tour felt slightly harder than the 4-piece Tour X, but its ball flight was comparable. The Tour's performance compared favorably to my usual gamer, the 3-piece K-Sigs. My stock shot is a medium-high draw, and MAXFLI Tour X also performed well when compared to most other premium balls I've gamed; ProV1, TPX5, Chrome Soft, etc. The Tour ball didn't appear to fly as far when struck well with my driver nor spin as much as the Tour X. But, I'm basing this opinion only on my observations and results with pitches, chips, and short-iron approaches. Both are good balls and more than adequate for mid-handicappers like me.
If you can spend $35 for a dozen premium golf balls, I'd recommend saving a few bucks @ DICK's for the 4-piece Tour X rather than dropping $50 for other super-premium offerings. In my limited experience, the 3-piece Tour is comparable to my K-Sigs and isn't worth spending and extra $11 for, IMO.
Based on my on-course results, ball flight, and performance, your scores shouldn't drop off much, if at all, with MAXFLI golf balls. Given a choice, I prefer the Tour X ball for its slightly softer feel and its better distance off the tee. I'm actually surprised they're both priced the same @ DICK's

It’s interesting to me how subjective feel is. Both you and I feel the Tour X feels softer, the test group consensus is that it feels firmer.

You are fine with it in regards to performance. I’d quit playing golf if I had to use it. The x - I could game the Tour although I would be giving up something to my gamer with it.

Based on the yardages that you’re reporting we have similar swing speeds and yet I’m 12 yards shorter with the X than my gamer off the driver. 8 yards shorter with it than the Tour. That tells me there’s something different about our swings that produces differing results - unless there’s some difference in our equipment that produced those differing results.

Nice write up and thanks - I hope your weather warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 12/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, revkev said:

It’s interesting to me how subjective feel is. Both you and I feel the Tour X feels softer, the test group consensus is that it feels firmer.

You are fine with it in regards to performance. I’d quit playing golf if I had to use it. The x - I could game the Tour although I would be giving up something to my gamer with it.

Based on the yardages that you’re reporting we have similar swing speeds and yet I’m 12 yards shorter with the X than my gamer off the driver. 8 yards shorter with it than the Tour. That tells me there’s something different about our swings that produces differing results - unless there’s some difference in our equipment that produced those differing results.

Nice write up and thanks - I hope your weather warms up.

Hey, I'd purchase and play the super-premium balls if money were no object. I'm convinced the 4-layer offerings give me more pop off the tee and have better control around the greens. I'd get on a Trackman, get fitted for a ball, and choose my gamer based on real data if I were playing competitively. 

My HDCP index is 13.8 and I'm on a budget, so I'm happy with my K-Sigs. The MAXFLI Tour X is a better ball, IMO, but the Tour isn't necessarily an upgrade. I make this assertion only on what I see and "feel". I don't expect to satisfy MGS's engineers with my feedback. Maybe I should submit to a blind test?

Feel is innate. For whatever reason, the more layered balls "feel" softer to me. Although I'm not sure my touch is sensitive enough to delineate between a ProV1 and ProV1x off the clubface. Put it this way - I won't purchase the Golf Pride ALIGN feature in my MCCs again because I don't think it's worth an extra $2 per grip. I don't "feel" the difference nor think ALIGN gives me an advantage over my regular MCCs or UTx grips.

But, then again maybe I'm just a cheap bastard. 😉 

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Played again yesterday in a scramble. Played the TourX for 13 holes. Once again, was hitting the ball very high with mid to short irons. Especially into the wind. They would really balloon and come up quite short. After switching to my preferred ZStar the ball flight came right down into more normal heights. I also think the ZStar are better into the wind. I’ll continue to use them for casual rounds.

The Maxfli are good balls, especially if you need a higher ball flight. Durability is good, on par with other urethane balls. Distance is also good but not tops for me. An especially good ball for the price, and I do appreciate Maxfli, DSG and MGS for the opportunity to try them out and report on them here.

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

I am liking the Tour over the Tour X. The flight is higher and a bit longer. Great feel off my scoring irons(8-PW).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I am liking the Tour over the Tour X. The flight is higher and a bit longer. Great feel off my scoring irons(8-PW).

Played the Tour X yesterday shooting a 40/41:81......I may have to revise my statement. Will play the X again on Friday at Plantation Palms.

Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

On 12/9/2019 at 6:43 AM, fozcycle said:

As most of my posts have indicated, me too.

My bag is a revolving door!

On 12/3/2019 at 10:26 AM, revkev said:

Thanks

What's your theory so far?

My bag is a revolving door!

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

What's your theory so far?

Although many credible sources including Titleist state that compression is a meaningless number in regards to performance the higher compression x ball will only work well for extremely fast clubhead speeds.  So are it seems as if that's the player profile that does well with it.

Sadly for Dick's Trackman SS's over 110 make up about 1 percent of all golfers. 

The tour however is a better across the board performer and in fact could be a very good choice for a large swath of swing types especially higher launch players looking to control their trajectory. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

17 hours ago, revkev said:

Although many credible sources including Titleist state that compression is a meaningless number in regards to performance the higher compression x ball will only work well for extremely fast clubhead speeds.  So are it seems as if that's the player profile that does well with it.

The tour however is a better across the board performer and in fact could be a very good choice for a large swath of swing types especially higher launch players looking to control their trajectory. 

I just played a Callaway Superhot (neon yellow) yesterday and it was as long as any ball I've played. I play the Chromesoft regularly but this is the first time using the Superhot.  Based on the name, I suspected it was a high compression ball but it's only a 70. 

We need only look to MGS archives to get the scoop on this debate.  https://mygolfspy.com/the-truth-myths-about-soft-feel-golf-balls/

My results in the Tour vs. Tour X were that the Tour yielded slightly better distances off the tee and long irons.  Not much difference in the short game but I did like the softer feel of the 3 piece ball.  The Maxfli Tour, at a 90 compression, is similar to the ProV1 I also frequently play.  But based on yesterday's experience with the Superhot, it certainly matches the findings of the MGS testing - compression does not play a significant factor in performance.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

20 hours ago, revkev said:

Agreed!! In my own haphazard, informal and decidedly incomplete testing of the Tour and the Tour X, I also (a very average swing speed player) prefer the Tour all around.

To the compression discussion, I'd also suggest that.. IMO .. swing speed alone is not the sole determinant of how you perceive the ball's performance - it seems to me that getting the max performance out of a 4- or more multi-layer ball is probably also tied to how you actually deliver the clubhead to the ball ... ie. I'm thinking smash factor here. 

For example, do you always hit the ball at, or nearly at, 1.5 with your woods? Or 1.4+ (or whatever the tour pro level is) with your irons? etc..

The Superhot example is a good one - a good player, with a good swing, is able to get the max performance out of *that* ball. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 11/7/2019 at 7:12 AM, fozcycle said:

I apologize to the Spy Community for being so tardy on this review.  My Cousin passed away recently with no children or siblings, so I stepped up to take charge of him and his estate.  I have been in KY for several weeks, after being appointed estate administrator, cleaning out his apt and settling his affairs.  That said, I am a long term Spy and have reviewed several items, such as, Cobra Bio Cell irons, Cobra F6 irons, Cobra F8 full bag challenge, Bridgestone B330RXS balls, Vice Pro Soft balls and lately, the Tour Edge CBX119 hybrid.

Here is my story:

In 1959, the City of Frankfort, Kentucky opened a new park called Juniper Hills,  located just west of the city.  Juniper Hills included a Par 72, 18 Hole rolling terrain golf course and an Olympic size swimming pool.  My Grandfather and his buddies joined the club and began playing every week.  I was only 8 yrs old, but my Grandfather decided I was old enough to be his caddy.  So I began my golfing career pulling a Bagboy pull-cart filled with Powerbilt golf clubs up and down the rolling terrain of Juniper Hills.  As a caddy, I learned the rules of golf and how the game was played.  My first set of clubs were a hodgepodge set of old hickory shafted clubs, leftovers from my Grandfather’s old clubs.  Ones that he took to Africa when he was building a sawmill to harvest mahogany wood for office furniture in 1948-49.  He was a Civil Engineer.  They carved out some land in the jungles of the Gold Coast(now Ghana) for a 9 hole course and played it for their recreation. Sadly, today I only have the putter left, so it hangs on the wall above my desk at home.  I progressed from the hickory sticks to used Powerbilts that were my Grandfather’s.  At age 10, I got my first set of cleats(steel spikes of course).  I felt like I was king of the world when I walked around the clubhouse area going clickety-clack, clickety-clack.  I spent my summers at Juniper Hills, just a mile from my home, caddying in the mornings then either hawking lost balls, putting for pennies or playing in the hot Summer afternoons.  I witnessed a Hole in one at age 13 when one of my friends aced the 140 yard Par 3 #6.  For my High School Graduation, my Grandfather gave me a new set of Powerbilt irons. I got my Ace in August, 1985 at Pine Ridge Country Club in Winnfield, LA.  When I moved to Florida in 1987, I was a 10 Handicap, gaming Nicklaus Muirfield irons.  Unfortunately, I was either working, or playing with my 4yr old daughter so I did not get much time to retain my handicap and watched it slip to an 18.  Fast forward through the years to now, I have been playing with a 6” steel plate, 13 screws & an inch of my left hip bone in my left wrist (ice skating accident in 1998).  The inch of my left hip was to make both arms the same length again.  Because of the injury, my handicap ballooned to the mid 20’s for several years, so I moved to graphite irons to reduce as much vibration as possible.  I was able to get my handicap back down to 13 for a few months in 2011, but that did not last.  For the past several years, I have been bouncing between 17 and 22.  I also have two Ligaments damaged in my Left Ankle(too many ankle sprains).  The Dr’s offered surgery but I declined because I was not ready to stay off of it for 4 months.  I am an Accountant(Ky State Univ. 1977) that retired in Jan 2017 and played 4 days a week wearing an ankle brace.  I got tired of the brace and decided to play without it.  I joined a 16 week nutrition class at the V.A., watched my intake and began excercising, losing 22 lbs this year.  Now I can walk around the neighborhood without pain and ride a stationary recumbent bike.  If I can lose another 15 lbs, I will be very happy.  My drives usually range from 185 to 205, with an occasional 220 and my 6i is my 150 yard club.  I am 68 years old, with an 15 Handicap, and play golf 3 to 4 times every week.

I play at Pebble Creek Golf Club, located in New Tampa, just 7 miles from my home.  Been playing there for 10 years.  Now retired, I Ranger there 2 mornings a week and play 3 times. The course plays 6436 from the Blues(71.1/127), 6032 from the Whites(69.1/122) & 5516 from the Gold(Senior Tees 66.3/111).  I now play the Gold Tees.  I have been running the Saturday Game at Pebble Creek for 10 years.  We average between 30 - 50 players each week in our Stableford Points game.  Twice a year we have a 2 day tourney.  Annually, I book a 12 to 24 man Buddy Trip to the Kissimmee FL area. It’s a lot of work, but a lot of fun.

My Bag is as follows:  Cobra Ultralight Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver), F8 Driver(10.5*) & F8 3-4(14.5*) Fairway & 5-6(18.5*) Fairway w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue regular shafts, F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6 - LW w/Mamiya Recoil 460 ES graphite regular shafts.  The irons are all 2* Flat .  All clubs have the Cobra Connect Lamkin Grip with Across Tracking Sensors. Currently not using Arccos our to issues with the iWatch.

I waffle between an a Evnroll E6 and the Tommy Armou4 Impact No. 3.  Both provide excellent balance for a smooth swing.

My current ball has been the Srixon Q Star Tour.  It performs well for a medium speed mid handicapper(15.0) such as myself.

I have played Maxflis most of my life.  That was my Grandfather's ball of choice and so it became mine.  In recent years, Maxfli has introduced several "tour" like balls.  The most recent is the Tour CG and the Tour X CG.  Both of which I had before this review.  I have mostly played the Tour CG but this week put a Tour X CG in play and shot an 81, with 10 pars.  I must say, even though th flight path was lower than usual, I got the yardage I wanted and the ball would stick on the green.

I have not performed a salt test.....yet, but intend to try it.  I have a check-go and will examine the balls with it.  Hopefully, more to come ....

This is a box that my Mother gave my Grandfather for Christmas one year(1950's).  It contained 6 individually wrapped Maxfli Dunlop golf balls.  My Grandfather kept the box, then my Mother kept it.  They are no longer with us so now I keep the box, using it to store golf items.  Maybe that's why I like Maxfli.

TIMG_0693-dsqz.jpeg.ec6ea3b8f84b4a9865541c5f557045a9.jpeg

Fozcycle-

What in the heck were you doing at Pine Ridge in Winnfield? (My old home course), Did you ace #3 or #6 Or big dog drive #4for a hole in one? Just curious?

:ping-small:  PING G-400 LST 8.5 degree driver/ TOUR 65 Stiff

default_titelist-small.jpg   Titleist TS 2 15 degree Fairway Wood w/ Tensei Blue 65 stiff shaft

default_titelist-small.jpg   Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid 19 & 23 degree w/ Tensei Blue 80 Hy stiff shafts

:mizuno-small:    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro irons with Dynamic gold 105 stiff shafts

:cleveland-small:       Cleveland Zip Core  54 degree Sand wedge  

:cleveland-small:        Cleveland Zip Core  58 degree Sand Wedge

:mizuno-small:    Mizuno M Craft IV Blue 36" putter, :scotty-cameron-1: Squareback 1.5

918457628_PrecisionPro.png       Precision Pro NX7 range finder/  Blue Tees Max 3 Rangefinder/  Bushnell Ion2 watch

Member of US Am Tour, Amateur Players Tour, & Houston Amateur Golf Association

Yesterday I grabbed a sleeve of my Tour X balls for play.  I had offered them up to a couple of the better players in our group here in Yuma, but they are die-hard ProVer's.  In summary, the one I played the round with performed great.  I had stated earlier that as compared to the Tour, they X felt too hard on the putter... but I honestly did not notice that yesterday.  Off the tee distance seemed about usual on really well struck drives as did fairway woods and irons.  Sometimes these side by side comparisons are difficult.  I think I have made the "better" choice for my game... but maybe not? 🤔  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Hey guys.
Just checking to see if the discount code for MGS has been sorted out with Dicks?

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

1 hour ago, BigtazzGolf said:

Hey guys.
Just checking to see if the discount code for MGS has been sorted out with Dicks?

That was a 24 hour flash sale and is over I believe 

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

That was a 24 hour flash sale and is over I believe 

Right but it didn't work during the 24 hour period.

Tazz
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

1 hour ago, BigtazzGolf said:

Tazz

I guess you'll have to take that up with GG, but I was able to get 5 dz Tour balls.  Had to make 5 single store pickup orders.  Sounds like they really only wanted people to get a single dz.  I managed to get 2 dz at 9.99 with 2 $10 off coupons.

It's easy to say they screwed it up, but sometime you don't have time for that, you just have to figure out how to make it work.  And single store orders was the way.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

Fozcycle-
What in the heck were you doing at Pine Ridge in Winnfield? (My old home course), Did you ace #3 or #6 Or big dog drive #4for a hole in one? Just curious?

I lived there from 1980 though 1986. I was the CFO of the Humana Hospital. And yes, the Hole in One was on #6......when were you a member of Pine Ridge CC?

Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Tazz

Right. I tried twice but never worked. Ended up going to Dick’s today and getting the 2 for $50.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to get out this weekend for an unexpected January round.  I need to clarify my thoughts on the X again.  I'm leaning towards that ball as the best between the two for my game.  

It's a great ball for the price point for sure.  Not unlike the Kirkland, I expect to find a lot of these in the woods in the coming months.  They seem to be selling quite a bit at my local DSG. 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

• 5 weeks later...

Used the special deal that Adam sent out to subscribers today to get a real good bargain on the Tour model.... 

great price on a urethane ball - curious how it works out - reading all 8 pages of the thread there seem to be various opinions....seemed like the X version was in the minority and most guys like the Tour better... especially @revkev who would consider quitting (!!!!) the game if the only ball in the world was the X.  😆

I was using the Bridgestone last year but those got a little steep in price and I'm not paying 48 for a dozen Titleist.  

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Used the special deal that Adam sent out to subscribers today to get a real good bargain on the Tour model.... 
great price on a urethane ball - curious how it works out - reading all 8 pages of the thread there seem to be various opinions....seemed like the X version was in the minority and most guys like the Tour better... especially [mention=16651]revkev[/mention] who would consider quitting (!!!!) the game if the only ball in the world was the X.  
I was using the Bridgestone last year but those got a little steep in price and I'm not paying 48 for a dozen Titleist.  

I truly would - Great buy on those Tours - enjoy. I ordered my annual by 3 get one free of another brand and am waiting for them to come in

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 2/7/2020 at 5:17 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Same here! How can you pass up that deal??

I've played them before and liked them. This time I went for the white, tho, not the matte green; tho a cool color, the hi vis does not always stand out plus the matte seems to trap more dirt and moisture vs "shiny" finishes.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Picked up another two dozen white Maxfli Tour CG’s this weekend as MGS sent out a new code for $20/dozen.......