2019 Maxfli Tour and Tour X Golf Balls

Our Sponsors

10 hours ago, revkev said:

I'm curious - a number of us have found that the Tour x is much shorter off the driver than the Tour and our gamer while others have found it to be about the same.  Interestingly it reports around the same as my gamer on my SC but it is never the same when I get to the ball.  In fact in nearly two months I've yet to have a drive with the Tour X travel as far as my gamer, ever, including when I haven't flushed my gamer and have nutted the Tour X.   I've had the Tour out past my gamer a few times though its clear and to be expected that my gamer is a bit longer as my gamer matches my swing profile better.  I could easily see the Maxfli Tour being a great fit for a faster and higher launch, high spin type than my swing produces.

My question is what swing type is working with the Maxfli Tour x.  It's double digits shorter than either the Tour or my gamer for me - sometimes close to 20 yards on full shots from my gamer.  I'd either have to quit the sport  altogether or move up a set of tees to game it (and at my age I'm running out of tee sets to move up.)  Could those who get the same distance, WITH DRIVER, please let us know what your swing type is?  Swing Speed, aggressive or smooth transition, high spin, low spin, negative/positive AoA.  I think this would help people who are considering these balls with their decision making.

Thanks 

My driver swing speed is about 118-120 and the Tour X goes further than the Tour. I would say it is about 5-7 yards further. Still shorter than the Snell though. 

• Like 4

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ball failed float test.. Went straight to bottom of the pond. Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - It's always amazing to me how equipment will react to different swings differently.  This is exactly why its dangerous whenever someone starts a thread labeled, what should I do (ab

A bit late to the game so far, as my job has had me busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, but here goes...   First, many thanks to the Board and to Maxfli for the opportunity to try

Posted Images

I found the 100 compression of the Tour X simply too hard for my tastes and slower swing speed.  I played the Tour again today for 18 holes and it has yielded the second lowest score since arriving in Yuma.  I'm definitely including them on my short list of balls that work for me and will keep an eye out for them on sale. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I find both the Tour and Tour X so much shorter of the tee that I’m losing as many as four strokes (two a side) per round. If a Par 4 is greater than 380 yards I more often than not end up with a 6 iron or longer into the green. My sweet spot is the 7, 8 and 9 iron trio. Hitting shorter drives takes those clubs out of my hands. The rest of the little nuances of these balls I can adapt to and normalize my scoring. The distance or lack there of is really the killer for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

@fixyourdivots and SteddyGolf could you refresh our memories about your games please - mainly about your SS and type (fast, smooth, etc) with driver?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

@fixyourdivots and SteddyGolf could you refresh our memories about your games please - mainly about your SS and type (fast, smooth, etc) with driver?

Thanks

My driver Swing Speed is in the mid 90s and ball speed is about 136. Total distance on average is 245 total. I use either a Ping G400 or a Taylor Made M4. The shaft is regular in both drivers. My irons are Mizuno MP5 with AMT Black Shafts or Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with Project X Graphite Shafts (S).

I finished the summer at a +.05 handicap.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Thanks

My numbers are very similar to @SteddyGolfexcept I'm hitting the G410 Plus, CB Alta 65 shaft.  My swing is quite compact... Tony Finau-esque.  Swing tempo and transition is on the fast side (something I'm always trying to manage).  Now, if only my handicap matched those two guys, I'd be thrilled 🙂.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Just a Cyber Monday (12/02) heads up, in case anyway wanted more MaxFlis on the cheap -- Dick's is running a sale ... 1 dozen @ $19.98 with free shipping. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

My driver Swing Speed is in the mid 90s and ball speed is about 136. Total distance on average is 245 total. I use either a Ping G400 or a Taylor Made M4. The shaft is regular in both drivers. My irons are Mizuno MP5 with AMT Black Shafts or Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with Project X Graphite Shafts (S).

I finished the summer at a +.05 handicap.

Nice this is right where I was at 10 years ago. Then I got older :(

Thanks

• Like 4

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

So I got out the other day in what will probably be one of the last rounds of the year.  It was only around 40* at the 1st tee.  Wasn't really bad as I prefer the cold temperatures.  

This ball does not like the cold.  Either one.  They were both really short off the tee & the irons.  Not sure if it really was the cold air but they seemed to be like rocks off the clubface.  Especially short pitches around the green ... a more noticeable "click" sound to them.  I couldn't get them to stop at all & the greens were still holding, as I could stop other balls.  But these I just couldn't control the distances at all.  I was able to hit multiple shots on the holes as there were only about 3 other groups out on the course.  With no one in front or behind me, it was a great time for practice.  

Both balls were considerably behind the other two balls I was gaming at the time, ProV1 & Srixon Z-Star XV.  I had to take one club more into the greens & they were about 5 - 8 yards behind off the tee.  Not much mind you, but  still.   They did perform pretty well into the wind though.  Didn't balloon or drop out of the sky.  That was about the only "Good" thing they did that day.  Maybe it wasn't a good test to be out in the cold air?  These balls all start out at room temperature, as I keep all my golf stuff in the corner of the Nut Cave in the house.  I would rotate the balls on each hole ... warm them up as best I could in my pockets.  

Hopefully there is still more golf for me before Old Man Winter finally sets in.  Sure wish I was retired so I could play more.  Oh well. 

Till next time  ...... 

• Like 6

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX

21 hours ago, golfinnut said:

So I got out the other day in what will probably be one of the last rounds of the year.  It was only around 40* at the 1st tee.  Wasn't really bad as I prefer the cold temperatures.  

This ball does not like the cold.  Either one.  They were both really short off the tee & the irons.  Not sure if it really was the cold air but they seemed to be like rocks off the clubface.  Especially short pitches around the green ... a more noticeable "click" sound to them.  I couldn't get them to stop at all & the greens were still holding, as I could stop other balls.  But these I just couldn't control the distances at all.  I was able to hit multiple shots on the holes as there were only about 3 other groups out on the course.  With no one in front or behind me, it was a great time for practice.  

Both balls were considerably behind the other two balls I was gaming at the time, ProV1 & Srixon Z-Star XV.  I had to take one club more into the greens & they were about 5 - 8 yards behind off the tee.  Not much mind you, but  still.   They did perform pretty well into the wind though.  Didn't balloon or drop out of the sky.  That was about the only "Good" thing they did that day.  Maybe it wasn't a good test to be out in the cold air?  These balls all start out at room temperature, as I keep all my golf stuff in the corner of the Nut Cave in the house.  I would rotate the balls on each hole ... warm them up as best I could in my pockets.  

Hopefully there is still more golf for me before Old Man Winter finally sets in.  Sure wish I was retired so I could play more.  Oh well. 

Till next time  ...... 

I'm developing a theory with these balls, particularly the Tour x.  Would you mind telling us a bit about your driver swing speed and swing type again.

Thanks

• Like 3

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

22 hours ago, revkev said:

I'm developing a theory with these balls, particularly the Tour x.  Would you mind telling us a bit about your driver swing speed and swing type again.

Thanks

95 - 100 mph swing speed ... 102 on occasion when I really go after it.  But that's not often because it never really works out.  HA! 

I'm more of a sweeper of the ball.  Even with my irons.  I don't compress the ball as much as I should.  That's why my aOa is so negative ... I seem to increase the loft at impact a bit.  I imagine if I actually took some lessons I could fix it but I'm too lazy & cheap to get them.  It works for me & I can get around any course with it & the ball still gets out there.  So .... I just felt like I was leaving something out there with these balls in the cold air.  Maybe it was me & my perception of it but constantly coming up short with iron shots to the green got frustrating.  Especially when I would drop another ball (my current gamer) from the same place & put it on the green with no problem.  So I don't think it was me.  

I will try & play them again soon just to confirm.  Just hope to get out again before the snow hits & closes the courses for a while.  

• Like 3

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX

On 11/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, revkev said:

Thanks guys -

It's always amazing to me how equipment will react to different swings differently.  This is exactly why its dangerous whenever someone starts a thread labeled, what should I do (about equipment) or what's the best so and so.  There's really no right or wrong answer to that question because it needs more info - just like reviews need more info - you need to know the type of player that the equipment best fits - The guys that I played with on Monday were stunned at the number of woods that I have in my bag but these lofted woods work for me - so much so that I'm longer off the turf with 5 wood than I am with 3 wood (I carry 3 wood because the rules allow for 14 clubs and I do hit it well off the tee).  I had birdie putts inside of 25 feet on the two par 3 threes that required 9 wood - the guys that I played with could not hit their 5 irons or hybrids high enough or straight enough to get the ball on the green while I just carried mine up there between all the traps and it stuck.

But would a 9 wood be the best choice for a guy who swings 117 mph who might also be a digger?  Not a chance.

The same holds true for golf balls - the difference between the Pro VIx and the Maxfli Tour x is stunning to me - I haven't seen that big a difference in distance off the tee with a golf ball since the days of balata and top flites.  But I thought that there might be a swing type that the Tour x worked for.  Beyond a doubt there are lots of swing types where the Tour is a fit - really anyone who hits a Pro VI ball type will like the Tour. 

Just as Top Flite is no longer made by Spalding,  Maxfli is no longer made by Dunlop.

When you get to be my age, you may still be alive but your world isn't. You're living in another generation's world.

My first golf balls, these coming with the clubs handed down by my uncle, were Dunlops, purchased in Bermuda, that were 1.62" in diameter. That was the official R&A size back then.  My first golf ball as a frequent player  was the original non-wound Spalding Top Flite (1.68", of course).  Both models are long buried in history, even deeper than wound Titleists..

Rev mentions nine-woods.  A modern nine-wood is maybe a degree or two weaker than a traditional wooden 5-wood from the sixties.  If I were still playing, I'd carry one, too.   I wouldn't carry a jumbo head driver like Rev does, though. I'd handle tee duties with a mini-driver / driving iron combo.  Modern big drivers come lofted enough--I believe Rev goes with 12º--but you still have to play the ball more forward and tee it higher than I'd be comfortable doing. I like to push tees down almost to the cup. Down to the cup with irons. I usually used a broken tee that I found on the tee box.

Rev hits the Pro V1x.  What might be a good ball for me if I still played?  I'm bigger than Rev (if he goes 165) but older and less flexible. I never played at his level, but I was an eight in my prime with a backswing that never came close to reaching parallel.  I still drove the ball 220 yards or more--with a strong fairway wood-- quite late in my recreational golf career.  

This post is a waste of time--ramblings from my having too much time on my hands.  I'm sure you've all dropped out by now,  but writing it gave me something to do. I'm not in the mood for fighting on the political forums today, so indulge me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Just as Top Flite is no longer made by Spalding,  Maxfli is no longer made by Dunlop.

When you get to be my age, you may still be alive but your world isn't. You're living in another generation's world.

My first golf balls, these coming with the clubs handed down by my uncle, were Dunlops, purchased in Bermuda, that were 1.62" in diameter. That was the official R&A size back then.  My first golf ball as a frequent player  was the original non-wound Spalding Top Flite (1.68", of course).  Both models are long buried in history, even deeper than wound Titleists..

Rev mentions nine-woods.  A modern nine-wood is maybe a degree or two weaker than a traditional wooden 5-wood from the sixties.  If I were still playing, I'd carry one, too.   I wouldn't carry a jumbo head driver like Rev does, though. I'd handle tee duties with a mini-driver / driving iron combo.  Modern big drivers come lofted enough--I believe Rev goes with 12º--but you still have to play the ball more forward and tee it higher than I'd be comfortable doing. I like to push tees down almost to the cup. Down to the cup with irons. I usually used a broken tee that I found on the tee box.

Rev hits the Pro V1x.  What might be a good ball for me if I still played?  I'm bigger than Rev (if he goes 165) but older and less flexible. I never played at his level, but I was an eight in my prime with a backswing that never came close to reaching parallel.  I still drove the ball 220 yards or more--with a strong fairway wood-- quite late in my recreational golf career.  

This post is a waste of time--ramblings from my having too much time on my hands.  I'm sure you've all dropped out by now,  but writing it gave me something to do. I'm not in the mood for fighting on the political forums today, so indulge me.

I liked your post - thanks

When it was wound, two piece, surlyn or balata I often drove with a 3 wood as well.  It took me a while to get used to the big headed drivers but I did - because I was giving up too much of an advantage to those who were playing them.  First it was 225 cc's then it was 275 then 300, then 385.  I'm used to 460 now and don't see what the fuss is but it would have been brutal to go from that old Tommy Armor driver to 460 all at once. 

I played with a young guy last Friday who plays such a different game from what we could have imagined as kids.  Driver, 9 iron into the wind on our 467 yard par 4 from the tips first hole and on and on it went like that all day.

But Nifty had we been a generation older we'd have been moaning about these kids and their steal shafts while pining after the day or hickory and gutta peecha - you're right - live long enough and it's no longer your world anymore.  You may be there and it's almost at that point for me. 

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I liked your post - thanks

When it was wound, two piece, surlyn or balata I often drove with a 3 wood as well.  It took me a while to get used to the big headed drivers but I did - because I was giving up too much of an advantage to those who were playing them.  First it was 225 cc's then it was 275 then 300, then 385.  I'm used to 460 now and don't see what the fuss is but it would have been brutal to go from that old Tommy Armor driver to 460 all at once. 

I played with a young guy last Friday who plays such a different game from what we could have imagined as kids.  Driver, 9 iron into the wind on our 467 yard par 4 from the tips first hole and on and on it went like that all day.

But Nifty had we been a generation older we'd have been moaning about these kids and their steal shafts while pining after the day or hickory and gutta peecha - you're right - live long enough and it's no longer your world anymore.  You may be there and it's almost at that point for me. 

If I’m playing a scramble I’m still taking you guys, short game only gets better with age!

• Like 4

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

Yesterday, I finally had a chance to test and game the MAXFLI golf balls @ Trophy Club's Hogan Course 😀 from the Copper Tees @ approximately 6,650 yards. Fun fact - this is the only golf course Ben Hogan ever designed for a fee and is considered his "singular design" work. He consulted on Colonial and Shady Oaks, but as a favor to his mentor, Marvin Leonard.

Weather was in the mid-60s and the wind wasn't really a factor, maybe only blowing up to 10 mph occasionally. It was cooler, so I think my distance was down maybe 1/2 club length through the bag. My recorded statistics;

Fairways = 57%

GIR = 56%

Putts = 29

Overall, I didn't play that great only scoring a bogey golf 90, with a 46 on the front with the Tour ball and a slight improvement of 44 on the back with the Tour X. I drove the ball pretty straight with both balls, the Tour and Tour X, but the X gave me a little more distance. Maybe because it warmed up in the afternoon? I did hit two really bad shots with each ball - a shank leading to a snowman on a Par 5, Hole #6 with the Tour and a stone topped 7-iron that I splashed into a creek on my approach with the Tour X @ Hole #14 from 150 yards.

Here's an approach shot that I hit on #1 with a 7-iron from 145 yards out of the rough, slightly uphill with the Tour ball. The ball spun well enough, IMO, based on it not releasing more than 12 feet from a flier lie. I missed the birdie, though, much to my chagrin. Greens were running pretty darn fast.

910896148_TC17-iron.thumb.jpg.778338c39663c997a19fecfdc239974c.jpg

Here's a full pitching wedge that I hit from 118 yards on #10 to a front pin with the Tour X ball. 

338558484_TC10PW.thumb.jpg.5be62c74753e34a9adcf638ece39f945.jpg

The pitch mark is only about 3-feet away from where the ball stopped, so that's not bad for a full swing with a 46-degree PW. I like that result. Ball flight was a high draw that I carried 120 yards just past the hole.

1901059636_TC10PWb.thumb.jpg.d1df2028df38c9a514371e5e388ed29d.jpg

In my opinion, the MAXFLI 3-piece Tour felt slightly harder than the 4-piece Tour X, but its ball flight was comparable. The Tour's performance compared favorably to my usual gamer, the 3-piece K-Sigs. My stock shot is a medium-high draw, and MAXFLI Tour X also performed well when compared to most other premium balls I've gamed; ProV1, TPX5, Chrome Soft, etc. The Tour ball didn't appear to fly as far when struck well with my driver nor spin as much as the Tour X. But, I'm basing this opinion only on my observations and results with pitches, chips, and short-iron approaches. Both are good balls and more than adequate for mid-handicappers like me.

If you can spend $35 for a dozen golf balls, I'd recommend saving a few bucks @ DICK's for the 4-piece Tour X rather than dropping $50 for other super-premium offerings. In my limited experience, the 3-piece Tour is comparable to my K-Sigs, IMO, and isn't worth spending the additional money on ($2.92 per ball vs $1.00 each). But, $24 for two dozen, 3-piece urethane balls is hard to beat! Thank you, Costco.

Based on my on-course results, ball flight, and performance, your scores shouldn't drop off much, if at all, with MAXFLI golf balls. Given a choice, I prefer the Tour X ball for its slightly softer feel and its better distance off the tee. I'm actually surprised they're both priced the same @ DICK's

Edited by J.B. TexasEx
* Got the math wrong on Tour X retail price versus K-Sigs
  • Like 6

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Yesterday, I finally had a chance to test and game the MAXFLI golf balls @ Trophy Club's Hogan Course  from the Copper Tees @ approximately 6,650 yards. Fun fact - this is the only golf course Ben Hogan ever designed for a fee and is considered his "singular design" work. He consulted on Colonial and Shady Oaks, but as a favor to his mentor, Marvin Leonard.
Weather was in the mid-60s and the wind wasn't really a factor, maybe only blowing up to 10 mph occasionally. It was cooler, so I think my distance was down maybe 1/2 club length through the bag. My recorded statistics;
Fairways = 57%,
GIR = 56%
Putts = 29

Overall, I didn't play that great only scoring a bogey golf 90, with a 46 on the front with the Tour ball and a slight improvement of 44 on the back with the Tour X. I drove the ball pretty straight with both balls, the Tour and Tour X, but the X gave me a little more distance. I did hit two really bad shots with each ball - a shank leading to a snowman on a Par 5, Hole #6 with the Tour and a stone topped 7-iron that I splashed into a creek on my approach with the Tour X @ Hole #14 from 150 yards.
Here's an approach shot that I hit on #1 with a 7-iron from 145 yards out of the rough, slightly uphill with the Tour ball. The ball spun well enough, IMO, based on it not releasing more than 12 feet from a flier lie. I missed the birdie, though, much to my chagrin. Greens were running pretty darn fast.
910896148_TC17-iron.thumb.jpg.778338c39663c997a19fecfdc239974c.jpg
Here's a full pitching wedge that I hit from 118 yards on #10 with the Tour X ball. 
338558484_TC10PW.thumb.jpg.5be62c74753e34a9adcf638ece39f945.jpg
The pitch mark is only about 3-feet away from where the ball stopped, so that's not bad for a full swing with a 46-degree PW. I like that result. Ball flight was a high draw that I carried 120 yards just past the hole.
1901059636_TC10PWb.thumb.jpg.d1df2028df38c9a514371e5e388ed29d.jpg
In my opinion, the MAXFLI 3-piece Tour felt slightly harder than the 4-piece Tour X, but its ball flight was comparable. The Tour's performance compared favorably to my usual gamer, the 3-piece K-Sigs. My stock shot is a medium-high draw, and MAXFLI Tour X also performed well when compared to most other premium balls I've gamed; ProV1, TPX5, Chrome Soft, etc. The Tour ball didn't appear to fly as far when struck well with my driver nor spin as much as the Tour X. But, I'm basing this opinion only on my observations and results with pitches, chips, and short-iron approaches. Both are good balls and more than adequate for mid-handicappers like me.
If you can spend $35 for a dozen premium golf balls, I'd recommend saving a few bucks @ DICK's for the 4-piece Tour X rather than dropping $50 for other super-premium offerings. In my limited experience, the 3-piece Tour is comparable to my K-Sigs and isn't worth spending and extra $11 for, IMO.
Based on my on-course results, ball flight, and performance, your scores shouldn't drop off much, if at all, with MAXFLI golf balls. Given a choice, I prefer the Tour X ball for its slightly softer feel and its better distance off the tee. I'm actually surprised they're both priced the same @ DICK's

It’s interesting to me how subjective feel is. Both you and I feel the Tour X feels softer, the test group consensus is that it feels firmer.

You are fine with it in regards to performance. I’d quit playing golf if I had to use it. The x - I could game the Tour although I would be giving up something to my gamer with it.

Based on the yardages that you’re reporting we have similar swing speeds and yet I’m 12 yards shorter with the X than my gamer off the driver. 8 yards shorter with it than the Tour. That tells me there’s something different about our swings that produces differing results - unless there’s some difference in our equipment that produced those differing results.

Nice write up and thanks - I hope your weather warms up.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

On 12/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, revkev said:

It’s interesting to me how subjective feel is. Both you and I feel the Tour X feels softer, the test group consensus is that it feels firmer.

You are fine with it in regards to performance. I’d quit playing golf if I had to use it. The x - I could game the Tour although I would be giving up something to my gamer with it.

Based on the yardages that you’re reporting we have similar swing speeds and yet I’m 12 yards shorter with the X than my gamer off the driver. 8 yards shorter with it than the Tour. That tells me there’s something different about our swings that produces differing results - unless there’s some difference in our equipment that produced those differing results.

Nice write up and thanks - I hope your weather warms up.

Hey, I'd purchase and play the super-premium balls if money were no object. I'm convinced the 4-layer offerings give me more pop off the tee and have better control around the greens. I'd get on a Trackman, get fitted for a ball, and choose my gamer based on real data if I were playing competitively. 

My HDCP index is 13.8 and I'm on a budget, so I'm happy with my K-Sigs. The MAXFLI Tour X is a better ball, IMO, but the Tour isn't necessarily an upgrade. I make this assertion only on what I see and "feel". I don't expect to satisfy MGS's engineers with my feedback. Maybe I should submit to a blind test?

Feel is innate. For whatever reason, the more layered balls "feel" softer to me. Although I'm not sure my touch is sensitive enough to delineate between a ProV1 and ProV1x off the clubface. Put it this way - I won't purchase the Golf Pride ALIGN feature in my MCCs again because I don't think it's worth an extra $2 per grip. I don't "feel" the difference nor think ALIGN gives me an advantage over my regular MCCs or UTx grips.

But, then again maybe I'm just a cheap bastard. 😉 

Edited by J.B. TexasEx
  • Like 5

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Played again yesterday in a scramble. Played the TourX for 13 holes. Once again, was hitting the ball very high with mid to short irons. Especially into the wind. They would really balloon and come up quite short. After switching to my preferred ZStar the ball flight came right down into more normal heights. I also think the ZStar are better into the wind. I’ll continue to use them for casual rounds.

The Maxfli are good balls, especially if you need a higher ball flight. Durability is good, on par with other urethane balls. Distance is also good but not tops for me. An especially good ball for the price, and I do appreciate Maxfli, DSG and MGS for the opportunity to try them out and report on them here.

• Like 2

------------------------------

Driver:  :cleveland-small: Classics XL 10.5 - Miyazaki Tour Issue 6 S-flex

Fairway:srixon-small: f65 15* - Miyazaki Kaula Mizo 5 R-flex

Hybrid:Hogan: 18* - Proforce V2 Stff

Irons:Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW - UST Mamiya Recoil 780 F4

Wedges:Hogan: Equalizer 50 Recoil F4, 56 and 60 with KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline - double-bend black steel 34"

I am liking the Tour over the Tour X. The flight is higher and a bit longer. Great feel off my scoring irons(8-PW).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).