GolfSpy MPR

2019 Maxfli Tour and Tour X Golf Balls

Our Sponsors

I am liking the Tour over the Tour X. The flight is higher and a bit longer. Great feel off my scoring irons(8-PW).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Played the Tour X yesterday shooting a 40/41:81......I may have to revise my statement. Will play the X again on Friday at Plantation Palms.

Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).
  • Like 4

On 12/9/2019 at 6:43 AM, fozcycle said:

I am liking the Tour over the Tour X. The flight is higher and a bit longer. Great feel off my scoring irons(8-PW).

As most of my posts have indicated, me too.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:26 AM, revkev said:

I'm developing a theory with these balls, particularly the Tour x.  Would you mind telling us a bit about your driver swing speed and swing type again.

Thanks

What's your theory so far?

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

What's your theory so far?

Although many credible sources including Titleist state that compression is a meaningless number in regards to performance the higher compression x ball will only work well for extremely fast clubhead speeds.  So are it seems as if that's the player profile that does well with it.

Sadly for Dick's Trackman SS's over 110 make up about 1 percent of all golfers. 

The tour however is a better across the board performer and in fact could be a very good choice for a large swath of swing types especially higher launch players looking to control their trajectory. 

• Like 7

The X and Tour are only 5 compression points apart which is probably why I couldn't feel as much difference when I was putting them both. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, revkev said:

Although many credible sources including Titleist state that compression is a meaningless number in regards to performance the higher compression x ball will only work well for extremely fast clubhead speeds.  So are it seems as if that's the player profile that does well with it.

The tour however is a better across the board performer and in fact could be a very good choice for a large swath of swing types especially higher launch players looking to control their trajectory. 

I just played a Callaway Superhot (neon yellow) yesterday and it was as long as any ball I've played. I play the Chromesoft regularly but this is the first time using the Superhot.  Based on the name, I suspected it was a high compression ball but it's only a 70. 

We need only look to MGS archives to get the scoop on this debate.  https://mygolfspy.com/the-truth-myths-about-soft-feel-golf-balls/

My results in the Tour vs. Tour X were that the Tour yielded slightly better distances off the tee and long irons.  Not much difference in the short game but I did like the softer feel of the 3 piece ball.  The Maxfli Tour, at a 90 compression, is similar to the ProV1 I also frequently play.  But based on yesterday's experience with the Superhot, it certainly matches the findings of the MGS testing - compression does not play a significant factor in performance.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, revkev said:

Agreed!! In my own haphazard, informal and decidedly incomplete testing of the Tour and the Tour X, I also (a very average swing speed player) prefer the Tour all around.

To the compression discussion, I'd also suggest that.. IMO .. swing speed alone is not the sole determinant of how you perceive the ball's performance - it seems to me that getting the max performance out of a 4- or more multi-layer ball is probably also tied to how you actually deliver the clubhead to the ball ... ie. I'm thinking smash factor here. 

For example, do you always hit the ball at, or nearly at, 1.5 with your woods? Or 1.4+ (or whatever the tour pro level is) with your irons? etc..

The Superhot example is a good one - a good player, with a good swing, is able to get the max performance out of *that* ball. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2019 at 7:12 AM, fozcycle said:

I apologize to the Spy Community for being so tardy on this review.  My Cousin passed away recently with no children or siblings, so I stepped up to take charge of him and his estate.  I have been in KY for several weeks, after being appointed estate administrator, cleaning out his apt and settling his affairs.  That said, I am a long term Spy and have reviewed several items, such as, Cobra Bio Cell irons, Cobra F6 irons, Cobra F8 full bag challenge, Bridgestone B330RXS balls, Vice Pro Soft balls and lately, the Tour Edge CBX119 hybrid.

Here is my story:

In 1959, the City of Frankfort, Kentucky opened a new park called Juniper Hills,  located just west of the city.  Juniper Hills included a Par 72, 18 Hole rolling terrain golf course and an Olympic size swimming pool.  My Grandfather and his buddies joined the club and began playing every week.  I was only 8 yrs old, but my Grandfather decided I was old enough to be his caddy.  So I began my golfing career pulling a Bagboy pull-cart filled with Powerbilt golf clubs up and down the rolling terrain of Juniper Hills.  As a caddy, I learned the rules of golf and how the game was played.  My first set of clubs were a hodgepodge set of old hickory shafted clubs, leftovers from my Grandfather’s old clubs.  Ones that he took to Africa when he was building a sawmill to harvest mahogany wood for office furniture in 1948-49.  He was a Civil Engineer.  They carved out some land in the jungles of the Gold Coast(now Ghana) for a 9 hole course and played it for their recreation. Sadly, today I only have the putter left, so it hangs on the wall above my desk at home.  I progressed from the hickory sticks to used Powerbilts that were my Grandfather’s.  At age 10, I got my first set of cleats(steel spikes of course).  I felt like I was king of the world when I walked around the clubhouse area going clickety-clack, clickety-clack.  I spent my summers at Juniper Hills, just a mile from my home, caddying in the mornings then either hawking lost balls, putting for pennies or playing in the hot Summer afternoons.  I witnessed a Hole in one at age 13 when one of my friends aced the 140 yard Par 3 #6.  For my High School Graduation, my Grandfather gave me a new set of Powerbilt irons. I got my Ace in August, 1985 at Pine Ridge Country Club in Winnfield, LA.  When I moved to Florida in 1987, I was a 10 Handicap, gaming Nicklaus Muirfield irons.  Unfortunately, I was either working, or playing with my 4yr old daughter so I did not get much time to retain my handicap and watched it slip to an 18.  Fast forward through the years to now, I have been playing with a 6” steel plate, 13 screws & an inch of my left hip bone in my left wrist (ice skating accident in 1998).  The inch of my left hip was to make both arms the same length again.  Because of the injury, my handicap ballooned to the mid 20’s for several years, so I moved to graphite irons to reduce as much vibration as possible.  I was able to get my handicap back down to 13 for a few months in 2011, but that did not last.  For the past several years, I have been bouncing between 17 and 22.  I also have two Ligaments damaged in my Left Ankle(too many ankle sprains).  The Dr’s offered surgery but I declined because I was not ready to stay off of it for 4 months.  I am an Accountant(Ky State Univ. 1977) that retired in Jan 2017 and played 4 days a week wearing an ankle brace.  I got tired of the brace and decided to play without it.  I joined a 16 week nutrition class at the V.A., watched my intake and began excercising, losing 22 lbs this year.  Now I can walk around the neighborhood without pain and ride a stationary recumbent bike.  If I can lose another 15 lbs, I will be very happy.  My drives usually range from 185 to 205, with an occasional 220 and my 6i is my 150 yard club.  I am 68 years old, with an 15 Handicap, and play golf 3 to 4 times every week.

I play at Pebble Creek Golf Club, located in New Tampa, just 7 miles from my home.  Been playing there for 10 years.  Now retired, I Ranger there 2 mornings a week and play 3 times. The course plays 6436 from the Blues(71.1/127), 6032 from the Whites(69.1/122) & 5516 from the Gold(Senior Tees 66.3/111).  I now play the Gold Tees.  I have been running the Saturday Game at Pebble Creek for 10 years.  We average between 30 - 50 players each week in our Stableford Points game.  Twice a year we have a 2 day tourney.  Annually, I book a 12 to 24 man Buddy Trip to the Kissimmee FL area. It’s a lot of work, but a lot of fun.

My Bag is as follows:  Cobra Ultralight Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver), F8 Driver(10.5*) & F8 3-4(14.5*) Fairway & 5-6(18.5*) Fairway w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue regular shafts, F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6 - LW w/Mamiya Recoil 460 ES graphite regular shafts.  The irons are all 2* Flat .  All clubs have the Cobra Connect Lamkin Grip with Across Tracking Sensors. Currently not using Arccos our to issues with the iWatch.

I waffle between an a Evnroll E6 and the Tommy Armou4 Impact No. 3.  Both provide excellent balance for a smooth swing.

My current ball has been the Srixon Q Star Tour.  It performs well for a medium speed mid handicapper(15.0) such as myself.

I have played Maxflis most of my life.  That was my Grandfather's ball of choice and so it became mine.  In recent years, Maxfli has introduced several "tour" like balls.  The most recent is the Tour CG and the Tour X CG.  Both of which I had before this review.  I have mostly played the Tour CG but this week put a Tour X CG in play and shot an 81, with 10 pars.  I must say, even though th flight path was lower than usual, I got the yardage I wanted and the ball would stick on the green.

I have not performed a salt test.....yet, but intend to try it.  I have a check-go and will examine the balls with it.  Hopefully, more to come ....

This is a box that my Mother gave my Grandfather for Christmas one year(1950's).  It contained 6 individually wrapped Maxfli Dunlop golf balls.  My Grandfather kept the box, then my Mother kept it.  They are no longer with us so now I keep the box, using it to store golf items.  Maybe that's why I like Maxfli.

TIMG_0693-dsqz.jpeg.ec6ea3b8f84b4a9865541c5f557045a9.jpeg

Fozcycle-

What in the heck were you doing at Pine Ridge in Winnfield? (My old home course), Did you ace #3 or #6 Or big dog drive #4for a hole in one? Just curious?

Yesterday I grabbed a sleeve of my Tour X balls for play.  I had offered them up to a couple of the better players in our group here in Yuma, but they are die-hard ProVer's.  In summary, the one I played the round with performed great.  I had stated earlier that as compared to the Tour, they X felt too hard on the putter... but I honestly did not notice that yesterday.  Off the tee distance seemed about usual on really well struck drives as did fairway woods and irons.  Sometimes these side by side comparisons are difficult.  I think I have made the "better" choice for my game... but maybe not? 🤔  

• Like 2

Hey guys.
Just checking to see if the discount code for MGS has been sorted out with Dicks?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, BigtazzGolf said:

Hey guys.
Just checking to see if the discount code for MGS has been sorted out with Dicks?

That was a 24 hour flash sale and is over I believe 

That was a 24 hour flash sale and is over I believe 

Right but it didn't work during the 24 hour period.

Tazz

1 hour ago, BigtazzGolf said:

Tazz

I guess you'll have to take that up with GG, but I was able to get 5 dz Tour balls.  Had to make 5 single store pickup orders.  Sounds like they really only wanted people to get a single dz.  I managed to get 2 dz at 9.99 with 2 $10 off coupons.

It's easy to say they screwed it up, but sometime you don't have time for that, you just have to figure out how to make it work.  And single store orders was the way.

Fozcycle-
What in the heck were you doing at Pine Ridge in Winnfield? (My old home course), Did you ace #3 or #6 Or big dog drive #4for a hole in one? Just curious?

I lived there from 1980 though 1986. I was the CFO of the Humana Hospital. And yes, the Hole in One was on #6......when were you a member of Pine Ridge CC?

Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).
  • Like 1

Tazz

Right. I tried twice but never worked. Ended up going to Dick’s today and getting the 2 for $50.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend for an unexpected January round.  I need to clarify my thoughts on the X again.  I'm leaning towards that ball as the best between the two for my game.  

It's a great ball for the price point for sure.  Not unlike the Kirkland, I expect to find a lot of these in the woods in the coming months.  They seem to be selling quite a bit at my local DSG. 

• Like 3

Used the special deal that Adam sent out to subscribers today to get a real good bargain on the Tour model.... 

great price on a urethane ball - curious how it works out - reading all 8 pages of the thread there seem to be various opinions....seemed like the X version was in the minority and most guys like the Tour better... especially @revkev who would consider quitting (!!!!) the game if the only ball in the world was the X.  😆

I was using the Bridgestone last year but those got a little steep in price and I'm not paying 48 for a dozen Titleist.  

• Like 3

Used the special deal that Adam sent out to subscribers today to get a real good bargain on the Tour model.... 
great price on a urethane ball - curious how it works out - reading all 8 pages of the thread there seem to be various opinions....seemed like the X version was in the minority and most guys like the Tour better... especially [mention=16651]revkev[/mention] who would consider quitting (!!!!) the game if the only ball in the world was the X.  
I was using the Bridgestone last year but those got a little steep in price and I'm not paying 48 for a dozen Titleist.  

I truly would - Great buy on those Tours - enjoy. I ordered my annual by 3 get one free of another brand and am waiting for them to come in

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:17 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Same here! How can you pass up that deal??

I've played them before and liked them. This time I went for the white, tho, not the matte green; tho a cool color, the hi vis does not always stand out plus the matte seems to trap more dirt and moisture vs "shiny" finishes.

• Like 1

Picked up another two dozen white Maxfli Tour CG’s this weekend as MGS sent out a new code for $20/dozen.......

• Like 1