Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

GolfSpy MPR and BIG STU's Putter Shootout

GolfSpy MPR

Wait... if you traded me for my Stroke Lab, does that mean I have a new putter to put through some paces this winter... 😉

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

LOL you started off with the comment about your "long post"  That is a by product of your regular profession. Now remember this is old Stu just kidding. But you did inspire me to come up with a sorta counter culture idea. Since your putters are new school why don't I do one with some of my vintage putters?. Since we have good weather most of the year and my place is not large enough to do an indoor putting green I will do mine outside. Plus the way I have been putting lately I need all the practice I can get

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL you started off with the comment about your "long post"  That is a by product of your regular profession. Now remember this is old Stu just kidding. But you did inspire me to come up with a sorta counter culture idea. Since your putters are new school why don't I do one with some of my vintage putters?. Since we have good weather most of the year and my place is not large enough to do an indoor putting green I will do mine outside. Plus the way I have been putting lately I need all the practice I can get

I love this idea! I'd definitely be interested in the background of each of the putters in your test, both their own history and their time with you.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Can we place bets? 😜 I’d like to bet on the Stroke Lab...🤣

Kidding aside, I love reading this thread of your’s every year. Your commitment to doing this every year is admirable! I’m really looking forward to seeing the results. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

6 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I love this idea! I'd definitely be interested in the background of each of the putters in your test, both their own history and their time with you.

Seriously a couple of mine do have an interesting background but most of them are scrap pile finds. Since you are good with the computer you could research the MGS archives and look at a thread I did when I first came on here it is called either "An Old Putter Story" or an "Old Ping Putter Story" I can not remember exactly how I titled it now. Wish I could putt with that thing like I could back in the day

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I had my first surprising result last night. I've just finished the first round of testing with 4 of my 6 putters. The current standings:

image.png

So last night I put my EXO Indy (with its DIY shaft and Gravity Grip) through round 1. It scored pretty solidly in every category; the 18 Putt drill score could easily have been higher, as I burned a bunch of edges.

The most impressive and surprising result was in the Straight Putt drill with the PuttOut gate. Not only did I make 8 of 10, but I had one miss left and one right. But contrast, the three putters before the Indy combined for 12 misses out of 30, with every single one being a pull.

A fluke? A pattern? We'll have to see!

Full WITB with pictures

I’m a bit surprised at the MLA scoring the lowest so far. I’ve had success with that putter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I’m a bit surprised at the MLA scoring the lowest so far. I’ve had success with that putter.

For whatever reason, it and I have never gotten on all that well. That said, this is only round one, and so there's a lot of putts left to roll.

Full WITB with pictures

OK I made my selections and here they are along with history
Macgregor IM-5 Ironmaster--- got it around 1972 or so--- A friend of mine named Kenny gave it to me. Kenny is the man who instilled the Love of Macgregor clubs in me. Of course the putter is named "Kenny
Ping Anser 1974 vintage. One of 2 original Ping Anser demos in my old man's shop
Ping Zing 2 around 1990 vintage or so. That is the one I did the story on and posted on here. Trust me that thing ha earned it's keep and I won a lot of money in big money Calcutta matches and on the mini Tours
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe--- Traced it down to 1987 vintage or so. Found on the scrap pile at work really really rusty. I posted it on here. And trust me it is still rough and rusty. Has a name among players in this area as "That Rusty SOB Scotty" yep it has done pretty well
Now my last one is far from new but new to me because I found it last week. Vintage unknown ( I am in the process of tracking it down) Otey Crisman Calamity Jane style with a genuine hickory shaft and leather wrap grip. 
Those are mine I picked some of them because of their past story----- I have over 100 putters and I think the most recent ones Vintage wise may be a Nike Method 003 and a Yes! Dianna

Ping Zing Putters underrated. When I did a big “putter purge” years ago I hung onto a Zing, BE CU.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to GolfSpy MPR and BIG STU's Putter Shootout
4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Macgregor IM-5 Ironmaster--- got it around 1972 or so--- A friend of mine named Kenny gave it to me. Kenny is the man who instilled the Love of Macgregor clubs in me. Of course the putter is named "Kenny

Ping Anser 1974 vintage. One of 2 original Ping Anser demos in my old man's shop

Ping Zing 2 around 1990 vintage or so. That is the one I did the story on and posted on here. Trust me that thing ha earned it's keep and I won a lot of money in big money Calcutta matches and on the mini Tours

Scotty Cameron Santa Fe--- Traced it down to 1987 vintage or so. Found on the scrap pile at work really really rusty. I posted it on here. And trust me it is still rough and rusty. Has a name among players in this area as "That Rusty SOB Scotty" yep it has done pretty well

Now my last one is far from new but new to me because I found it last week. Vintage unknown ( I am in the process of tracking it down) Otey Crisman Calamity Jane style with a genuine hickory shaft and leather wrap grip. 

Those are mine I picked some of them because of their past story----- I have over 100 putters and I think the most recent ones Vintage wise may be a Nike Method 003 and a Yes! Dianna

I'm loving the selections and the history, @BIG STU! What's your testing procedure going to be?

Full WITB with pictures

Finished the first round with all six putters today! Here are the current standings:

image.png

Red is hot; green is cold.

It doesn't take much observation to see that each putter slightly outperformed the one before it. I'll invert the order for the next round, and then likely mix them up again for rounds 3 and 4.

I'm not yet sure if the better results I've gotten here from the latter putters is a function of the putter or a function of a better stroke for me. I'd noted earlier a tendency to pull putts, and that tendency was very much on display early. My first thought was to adjust my ball position (posted about that here). I thought that by moving the ball back a bit in my stance, I'd move the path slightly to the right.

Try moving your ball position an inch or two in your putting setup. Wow, that's hard!

So I tried something else instead 🙂

Starting with my EXO Indianapolis, I had two feels. The first is a feel (not real) of my right forearm parallel to the alignment line of my putter, almost piston-like pushing through the putt. The second feel, with that, is to imagine rolling the ball out of my open right hand on the back of the putter grip.

My putting grip is a version of left-hand low, and my feel is typically controlled in my left hand. By moving everything over to my right, I immediately (provable with results) began starting putts on my intended line.

image.png

Note with the first three putters: 18/30 makes, all 12 misses to the left. After my adjustment, 23/30 makes, 4 misses left and 3 to the right.

So I'm obviously encouraged at the direction things are going, and I'm interested to see if the stroke change that I made shows improvement with the MLA. Cleveland, and Stroke Lab in round 2 and after.

Full WITB with pictures

19 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'm loving the selections and the history, @BIG STU! What's your testing procedure going to be?

I am going to sorta copy what you do (with your blessing of course) but on a natural putting green. Now one thing I will detail on is some of the vintage blade putters Like the IM-5 and the Otey modern balls like the Pro V and the Srixon and even Snell will tend to hop off the face for me. John Smalls knows about that because when he played golf with me he actually found a balata Strata ball on the course. I was putting with a PGA Tommy Armour IM-5 reproduction that day. I showed John and this kid that played with us the difference in balls. Now if say I play the IM-5 a couple of weeks or so and get used to the hop I will compensate for it. But it takes time and right now frankly my putting feel and stroke are not the best. I did mess with the Otey this afternoon using a Pro V and then an old HT-100 balata. Had better results with the balata. Now when I play strictly vintage I will use a modern softer ball usually a lady Brigestone

Edited by BIG STU

G

7 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I am going to sorta copy what you do (with your blessing of course) but on a natural putting green

Perfectly fine with me!

Full WITB with pictures

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Perfectly fine with me!

I added with an edit but you beat me to the punch

G

• 2 weeks later...

Round 2 is complete, with some absolutely interesting results tonight.

The last putter to go in Round 2 was the MLA. For those following along at home, you've seen that for some reason, the MLA and I just have never clicked. It also underperformed the first time I did this putter challenge. I can't put my finger on exactly why.

So I grabbed the MLA, did my normal brief warm-up to get accustomed to the face (I do this with every putter before each test), and then proceeded to putt like total garbage. I made 9/10 four-footers on the PuttOUT, with no perfect putts. I then made a decent 10/18 in that drill, which is right at the average.

But on the PuttOUT gate drill, I hit the gate every single time. A 0/10! I'd never done that before.

I still had a little time left to putt, so I decided to start round 3, and first up for Round 3 was my Odyssey EXO Indy. This made me nervous; the Indy had been performing very well so far, and my fear was that I was just having a bad putting evening and I was about to tank my Indy's numbers.

On the four-footers: I made three perfect putts, but missed one. Even so, with the perfects, my total was 15 points, which is a new high score.

Then on the 18 putt drill, I made the first 13 in a row. I have never done that; my previous total record was 14/18. Unfortunately, the last five (longer putts that break right) is my weakest station, and I made only 1/5. Still, that's 14/18, tying my lifetime best.

The gate drill was still a bit shaky: I only made 5/10, but the misses were distributed left and right, rather than concentrated on the left side.

On the whole, I found those two rounds to be very enlightening. Whether its mental or physical, I cannot fully say. But it was strong proof to me that a putter can work with you or a putter can fight you.

Here are the current standings, with Round 3 just underway (reminder: red is good):

image.png

Full WITB with pictures

Well maybe I have gotten my putting stroke straightened out some. I had been practicing for feel with one of my Bulls Eyes. I had also switched to left hand low. Have sorta gotten my feel back and my stroke was pretty good. Did some work on the Rusty Scotty last week. Pulled off the small SS grip and put on a old school type rubber Lamkin grip. Realized I had a lot of lead tape on the Scotty and now it felt like a sledgehammer in my hands. Pulled off all the lead tape and it felt good. Put it in the bag for a scramble last Saturday. Made 5 out of 6 putts from the 10 to 15 foot range and the one I missed I hung on the lip. Made 5 of 5 from 5 ft in. They were letting me putt first since I stated " I cant putt anyhow" and they knew it. Lag putts were pretty decent even though I do not believe in lagging I run at everything. But I honestly felt if I had been playing my ball I would have not had any 3 putts. The guys were talking about I was back I told them I did not know probably this week I can not hit a washtub

G

So it looks like there is something to the EXO's horizontal stabilizers? 😉  Fun thread, thanks for sharing!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So it looks like there is something to the EXO's horizontal stabilizers? 😉  Fun thread, thanks for sharing!

Yeah, it's hard to say exactly what it is. In my first post, I have them both (the EXO and the MLA) listed with essentially the same amount of toe hang, so that is fascinating: that isn't the difference. The EXO has made homemade Stroke Lab shaft and a Gravity Grip. I'm really tempted to make another couple DIY Stroke Lab shafts after I finish the test, and put them in the MLA and the Cleveland.

Full WITB with pictures

15 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yeah, it's hard to say exactly what it is. In my first post, I have them both (the EXO and the MLA) listed with essentially the same amount of toe hang, so that is fascinating: that isn't the difference. The EXO has made homemade Stroke Lab shaft and a Gravity Grip. I'm really tempted to make another couple DIY Stroke Lab shafts after I finish the test, and put them in the MLA and the Cleveland.

You are going to have to steer me in the direction of how to make a DYI Stroke Lab shaft--- Sounds like fun--- Heck I have plenty of putters to experiment with

G

Do tell @GolfSpy MPR on the DIY strokelab shafts.  I'm living my DIY life vicariously through you right now

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

29 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Do tell @GolfSpy MPR on the DIY strokelab shafts.  I'm living my DIY life vicariously through you right now

I put up a thread about my build here: 

Full WITB with pictures

For whatever reason, it and I have never gotten on all that well. That said, this is only round one, and so there's a lot of putts left to roll.

FYI, I had the original MLA grip replaced with a Superstroke Mid 2.0 and has improved a lot.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I put up a thread about my build here: 
[/url]  

This gas me thinking about a project with one of my putters. Now which putter is the question.
My Tad Moore is my most inconsistent putter and nay be a candidate.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 11/7/2019 at 10:54 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Round 2 is complete, with some absolutely interesting results tonight.

The last putter to go in Round 2 was the MLA. For those following along at home, you've seen that for some reason, the MLA and I just have never clicked. It also underperformed the first time I did this putter challenge. I can't put my finger on exactly why.

So I grabbed the MLA, did my normal brief warm-up to get accustomed to the face (I do this with every putter before each test), and then proceeded to putt like total garbage. I made 9/10 four-footers on the PuttOUT, with no perfect putts. I then made a decent 10/18 in that drill, which is right at the average.

But on the PuttOUT gate drill, I hit the gate every single time. A 0/10! I'd never done that before.

I still had a little time left to putt, so I decided to start round 3, and first up for Round 3 was my Odyssey EXO Indy. This made me nervous; the Indy had been performing very well so far, and my fear was that I was just having a bad putting evening and I was about to tank my Indy's numbers.

On the four-footers: I made three perfect putts, but missed one. Even so, with the perfects, my total was 15 points, which is a new high score.

Then on the 18 putt drill, I made the first 13 in a row. I have never done that; my previous total record was 14/18. Unfortunately, the last five (longer putts that break right) is my weakest station, and I made only 1/5. Still, that's 14/18, tying my lifetime best.

The gate drill was still a bit shaky: I only made 5/10, but the misses were distributed left and right, rather than concentrated on the left side.

On the whole, I found those two rounds to be very enlightening. Whether its mental or physical, I cannot fully say. But it was strong proof to me that a putter can work with you or a putter can fight you.

Here are the current standings, with Round 3 just underway (reminder: red is good):

image.png

This is the first year I've really done much in the way of consistent putting practice, and tracking progress, and I have been so surprised at how streaky I can be.

I'll line up and feel like there's no way I could miss if I wanted to for 5-10 putts in a row, then something will get a little shaky and I'll feel like there's nothing I can do to roll one on line.

I know my putting is nothing remarkable, and my stroke has a ways to go in the way of consistency. But I also wonder how much of putting is the confidence you have standing over the putt as well.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

• 2 weeks later...

Four rounds and 912 putts later (152 with each putter), we have final results!

Screenshot_20191118-213006_Sheets.jpg

Let's break this chart down a bit. The way the scoring works is this: there are three different events. In each event, the highest score that any putter achieved becomes the top score; everything else is calculated as a percentage of that number. So (for instance) if the highest score in one category is a 10, then a putter that scored a 7 would receive a 70%. Each event counts as 33% of the final score, so that if one putter scored the highest in all three categories, it would be rated 99%.

With that, the standings are:

1. Odyssey EXO Indy: 95.2%
  2. [TIE] Frontline Elevado, TaylorMade Spider Tour: 94.8%
  3. Evnroll Tour Stroke Trainer: 94.2%
  4. Odyssey Stroke Lab 1: 79.1%
  5. MLA XDream: 74.8%

There's a clear gap between the top four and the bottom two. In a way, I suppose I'm not totally stunned that the Stroke Lab 1 didn't rank higher: I haven't gamed a simple Anser-style blade in years. I've used a double-wide Nike (now owned by @downlowkey) and an Odyssey Toe Up 1, but not a standard blade. The Stroke Lab 1 performed the worst in the 18 putts drill, where I'm just trying to make putts. That isn't a great sign for its fit for me.

As for the MLA: it's just not meant to be. I've owned it for several years. I would think that the alignment tech and the Flat Cat would make it almost a training-aid, but something about it has never clicked with me. I'm likely going to go list it in the classifieds section here, hoping that it will find a better fit in its next life.

Of the top four, the Tour Stroke Trainer has the most interesting results. By far, it was the putter with the greatest success in the gate drill, putting up an above average score in every single round. In addition, I kept track of the miss tendency with each putter in the gate drill, and the Evnroll not only made the most, but the misses didn't show a prevailing tendency to pulls, which was rare:

Screenshot_20191118-213140_Sheets.jpg

However, the Evnroll TST performed poorly at actually making putts, finishing below average in both in the 18 putt drill and the 4' PuttOut drill. This mirrored my (admittedly limited) experience that I had with it on the course: I struggled with short putts for some reason. My intention is to keep the Evnroll around and use it as a training aid, hoping that I can use it with the gate, switching back and forth between it and the putter I'm gaming to improve the ability to start my gamer on my intended line.

The Cleveland Elevado Frontline finished strong, climbing in the rankings in the final round. I really like the alignment on the Frontline: a simple line on the topline of the putter (with the 2135 feature). As I said in a prior post, I might have to tinker with this putter a bit more. Putting the Flat Cat Slim on here wasn't the best idea, as it is far too light. I am likely to end up building another DIY Stroke Lab shaft for this with a heavy grip (perhaps another Gravity Grip).

The Spider and the EXO Indy were at the top of the leaderboard the entire tournament. I bought the Spider last winter, and I'm not sure if it's ever seen the course yet. The Indy was my main putter last season, and I do wonder if that was a factor in my results here. Even so, having put it up against all these putters and seeing it come out on top is truly confidence-building. It isn't the same as getting a full fitting, but I can go to the course knowing that this is a putter that does work for me.

So what's next? My plan is now to focus on putting practice with the EXO Indy, using (as mentioned) the Evnroll as part of my practice to improve my start line control with the Indy. I'll spend some time in the next week or so creating a series of drills specifically designed primarily to improve (rather than to simply measure) my putting. I'll continue to post here about my progress, and then early into to next season to see if (after the snow melts) the work pays off on the actual course.

Full WITB with pictures

@GolfSpy MPR, are your grips on with tape or just blown on?  I am really curious about that gravity grip on the Frontline. If I recall, isn't that a bit narrower than the Lamkin Sinkfit that comes stock on the Frontline?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

On 10/28/2019 at 2:40 PM, BIG STU said:

It's not me... but dang, I wish it was.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

@GolfSpy MPR, are your grips on with tape or just blown on?  I am really curious about that gravity grip on the Frontline. If I recall, isn't that a bit narrower than the Lamkin Sinkfit that comes stock on the Frontline?

I typically still use tape for mine. And yes, the Gravity Grip is narrower, with a more pronounced flatness to the sides than the stock grip.

Full WITB with pictures