Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Go with the big boys or...

DanFuller

So I’ve recently been lucky enough to have the funds to buy a whole new bag. 

My quandary is regarding fitting. There is a Titleist performance centre nearish to me along with a host of smaller fitters with a host of different brands to try. 

I am tall, 6”5 so shaft length is probably my number one priority when trying new clubs. 

When I’ve spoken to the smaller retailers there go to response is the dreaded lie board. When I’ve hit off this in the past it’s glaringly I need shafts 1-1.5 inch longer with around 3/4 inches up. Now Titleist hold these shafts in stock so I can get straight on to trying them.

in my opinion I am not going to get a proper fit if my lie is all wrong which is making me lean to Titleist and just getting a whole bag from them. 

I reached out to Taylor made and they were pretty vanilla in response saying it’s about the fit without answering my question. 

The other question I have is that if I buy from Titleist I’m going to get robbed at full retail prices aren’t I... 

Advice and opinions welcomed. 

I would avoid anywhere that uses a low board. I don’t remember the last time I saw a good fitter use one. If you want to be open to all brands then you will have to pass on the titleist fitting. Most brands will build to the length needed. 

I personally would go to a brands performance center over a multi brand facility unless I had a good knowledge and trust of the fitter. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I didn't have time to listen/watch the entire video above. Their stuff is generally pretty good but too long I think. Anyway...

I don't have a problem with a fitter using a lie board. I also don't believe that fitters should solely rely on electronics. I think the board can be an integral part of any fitting. It's just another tool IMO. I personally wouldn't rely on a fitter that only uses electronics. They can lie as well.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

51 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I didn't have time to listen/watch the entire video above. Their stuff is generally pretty good but too long I think. Anyway...

I don't have a problem with a fitter using a lie board. I also don't believe that fitters should solely rely on electronics. I think the board can be an integral part of any fitting. It's just another tool IMO. I personally wouldn't rely on a fitter that only uses electronics. They can lie as well.

The good fitter use the electronics to ease the customer. The bad ones do everything based off the numbers and don’t watch what the golfer is doing in his swing or they use it to give the customer the info and cause the customer to chase numbers and leads to them not swinging their normal swing.

its why I prefer 1) an outdoor fitting to see ball flight 2) a fitter who uses electronics to confirm what we see rather than to do all adjustment and I prefer they don’t give me numbers. A better lie test imo is the sharpie or dry erase marker on the ball and see the mark on the face. Takes away from the lie board impact fixing the face and hitting a straighter ball or the fear the golfer has of hitting the lie board especially the second time.  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have a little experience with fitting lie angles.  

I agree that using a Lie Board as the only tool for a fitting is a mistake. However, running from a club fitter who uses a lie board as part of his tool box for fitting is also a mistake.  I was always a big believer in getting the ball to go where the customer thought he or she was aiming.  That sometimes meant adjusting the lie a little differently that what the tape might suggest.

I would never personally buy clubs without looking at the ball flight outside. Sure, go ahead and try them indoors, but golf is played outside. 

Ball Flight is king.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I’m in the camp that says there’s nothing wrong with a lie board in conjunction with other tools -

I’m also in the camp of outdoor fitting is a must - ideally outdoors with a ball that’s similar to my gamer - doesn’t have to Bette sane but similar at least.

In fact at this stage I’d fit myself outdoors over having another indoor fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

YES!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

12 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Well said

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I did watch the video and they did say what the consensus advice here has been - “the lie board is a useful tool at times.”

They certainly didn’t say to run from a fitter who uses a lie board.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I did watch the video and they did say what the consensus advice here has been - “the lie board is a useful tool at times.”

They certainly didn’t say to run from a fitter who uses a lie board.

The Fitter I went to said that the Lie Boards can lie. He uses the Lie Board, Line on the ball, Mizuno tool.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I like these guys. They can be quite thorough in their analysis, which can lead to them being a bit lengthy as mentioned earlier. The key to this analysis is when the guy hitting says he's a "handle raiser". We all will do things subconsciously to make the shot go where we want it. He's able to hit his normal shot with the club coming through the ball upright because he's been playing that way for so long. He adapted by delivering the clubhead closed to compensate for the lie angle. Once he adjusts the lie angle, that same delivery now causes the overdraw that we see on the LM. All he has to do now is adjust his grip so that he delivers the clubhead at the proper angle to get his desired ball flight and we're done. BUT.... we are visual players. Making this change will be difficult for him because he has to align the clubface visually and making the needed change for the lie adjustment may take months of practice. He will have to completely re-learn how the club should look when he's aligning it. Considering he plays at a high level now, is that really worth the effort? Obviously not.

Also, it has been proven that hitting actual balls while using a lie board will give a more toe-ward indication than is actual since the impact with the ball forces the clubhead to deflect downward. Hitting a foam ball gives a more accurate indication since there isn't enough mass in the foam ball to deflect the clubhead.

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

[/url]