Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

DeChambeau Getting Swole

GolfSpy MPR

On 10/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, TR1PTIK said:

though he could use it as an excuse to try and hit the ball further

^ That's what I was thinking, also ... *IF* he can drive it both further AND accurately then that _should_ positively impact his scoring average.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

^ That's what I was thinking, also ... *IF* he can drive it both further AND accurately then that _should_ positively impact his scoring average.

Thats a big if.  Making serious changes to your body can have really negative effects on your swing.  Just look at what it did to David Duval.  He went from being one of the best golfers in the world when he was heavy to not even being able to make the cut.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I don't think it's that big an if with Bryson. His swing has so few moving parts that he should be able to adjust to changes to his body better than most.

Thats a big if.  Making serious changes to your body can have really negative effects on your swing.  Just look at what it did to David Duval.  He went from being one of the best golfers in the world when he was heavy to not even being able to make the cut.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

Duval also suffered from a serious battle with vertigo 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Duval also suffered from a serious battle with vertigo 
True but it seems like most golfers who start out heavy and decide to lose the weight and get into the best shape of their life end up having to relearn their swing.
Tiger did it and got better and so did Koepka but those are the only ones I can think of.
Rory did it and his game kind of went to heck but I think that was more because he was hurt all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

True but it seems like most golfers who start out heavy and decide to lose the weight and get into the best shape of their life end up having to relearn their swing.
Tiger did it and got better and so did Koepka but those are the only ones I can think of.
Rory did it and his game kind of went to heck but I think that was more because he was hurt all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rory was training to help with a back condition he has which is what his injuries outside of the soccer one come from. Tiger changed his swing multiple times for various reasons and I don’t think brooks has changed his. 

duval was trying to hang with tiger and while he lost a bit of his swing it was the vertigo that took him out of the game before he could get things back on track.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Putting on that much muscle weight in such a short amount of time is crazy.  He better hope the PGA doesn't come knocking with PED testing.  He is not putting on 25 lbs of muscle in a few weeks.  If so, the NFL players and all other pro athletes and most of us would all be doing it as well.  I smell something cooking in his lab.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

• 1 month later...

I watched Feherty's interview with Bryson yesterday.  He sure gets lots of negative flak for the mad scientist thing, shaft length, attire, etc., but I find him to be a pretty good guy.  Not sure when it was aired, but he seemed pretty stout. 

The next episode was Tony Finau... another great storyline and and even cooler cat.  He and his brother "Gipper" smacking balls into an old mattress in the garage with clubs purchased from the local thrift stores.  It's great learning about the background on tour players and Feherty does a really entertaining job doing it.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I watched Feherty's interview with Bryson yesterday.  He sure gets lots of negative flak for the mad scientist thing, shaft length, attire, etc., but I find him to be a pretty good guy.  Not sure when it was aired, but he seemed pretty stout. 
The next episode was Tony Finau... another great storyline and and even cooler cat.  He and his brother "Gipper" smacking balls into an old mattress in the garage with clubs purchased from the local thrift stores.  It's great learning about the background on tour players and Feherty does a really entertaining job doing it.
That one was back in March. I've always been fascinated by Bryson's approach to the game and I like him quite a bit. Yeah, he could stand to play a bit faster but he's far from the only slow guy on tour.

I've been a huge fan of Tony Finau for awhile now and his episode of Feherty only made me like him more. He's one of my favourite guys on tour. Easily in my top 5, if not top 3 favourite players.

Watching his performance live at Royal Melbourne... can't say it worked too well for my boy. Too much change in too short a period of time, so looked pretty rusty.

Hadwin was keeping up with the distance no problem.

Given that DeChambeau was already one of the longer players on tour, I would have thought his gains would have been for more control (Since able to hit at 80% rather than 90%)

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

4 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Watching his performance live at Royal Melbourne... can't say it worked too well for my boy. Too much change in too short a period of time, so looked pretty rusty.

Hadwin was keeping up with the distance no problem.

Given that DeChambeau was already one of the longer players on tour, I would have thought his gains would have been for more control (Since able to hit at 80% rather than 90%)

He states in the interview that chipping and putting has been his weakness - getting bulked up wouldn't seem to help that part of the game.

There are many things I really really like about Bryson. That I find encouraging about the game of golf. I like that he is a hard worker. I like that he is not cookie cutter tour pro. I like that he has energy and emotion. I like that he is willing to take risks like this to see if it will help him improve. 

I am not a fan of the scientist moniker. I am not a fan of his constant attempts to sound smart or maybe smarter than he is. I am not a fan of slow play in the slightest. 

If swing speed and ball speed are what he is after. It looks like it is working. I don't know yet if it will translate into success on the course, but I hope it does. 

Now we just need him to play faster and not hold up the groups behind him. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 2:21 PM, Quigleyd said:

There are many things I really really like about Bryson. That I find encouraging about the game of golf. I like that he is a hard worker. I like that he is not cookie cutter tour pro. I like that he has energy and emotion. I like that he is willing to take risks like this to see if it will help him improve. 

I am not a fan of the scientist moniker. I am not a fan of his constant attempts to sound smart or maybe smarter than he is. I am not a fan of slow play in the slightest. 

If swing speed and ball speed are what he is after. It looks like it is working. I don't know yet if it will translate into success on the course, but I hope it does. 

Now we just need him to play faster and not hold up the groups behind him. 

They were just talking about this on the WM.  I think I heard correctly that he had a drive ball speed yesterday over 200 mph.  

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

They were just talking about this on the WM.  I think I heard correctly that he had a drive ball speed yesterday over 200 mph.  

I saw one at at 187. So he has gained speed. So far not really turning into success but he did accomplish getting more distance.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

10 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I saw one at at 187. So he has gained speed. So far not really turning into success but he did accomplish getting more distance.

He’s definitely gained speed, but I’m not sure it’s helping other portions of his game. I hope he can turn the rest of his game around and get back to winning tournaments again.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• 1 month later...

How do you plan to keep the weight in season with the amount of walking you do? Could lose distant and weight throughout the year, no

I was following him on Twitch yesterday, said he would like to get as big as The Rock, as long as he can (And he thinks he could) maintain the flexibility.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

5 under 65 in his first round back averaging 345 off the tee. Gained 2 strokes on the field off the tee. He's certainly achieved the initial parts of his fitness goals.

It is super interesting to see different golfers approaches to fitness, and the varied success that comes with it.

Tiger has obviously been known to keep a very high fitness level, and that's given a lot of credit to his success. Rory now seems to be tracking a similar disposition to augmenting his game by staying fit.

But Phil has been actively chasing more speed the last few years and his performance has struggled. He's getting up there in age too, so it's tough to isolate the variables but it doesn't seem to be working for him.

Brooks and Woodland both have other athletic backgrounds, and are (relatively) big strong guys. Brooks losing weight seemed to negatively impact his game.

Thought it was interesting yesterday on the Charles Schwab coverage, it was mentioned that Colin Morikawa has the distance to keep up with the likes of Brooks and some of the "big" boys. And certainly no offense to Colin, but he's tiny. Cam Champ is another example; he's not bulging veins or physically imposing, he's pretty lean but can absolutely crush it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess?

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

2 hours ago, ncwoz said:

It is super interesting to see different golfers approaches to fitness, and the varied success that comes with it.

Tiger has obviously been known to keep a very high fitness level, and that's given a lot of credit to his success. Rory now seems to be tracking a similar disposition to augmenting his game by staying fit.

But Phil has been actively chasing more speed the last few years and his performance has struggled. He's getting up there in age too, so it's tough to isolate the variables but it doesn't seem to be working for him.

Brooks and Woodland both have other athletic backgrounds, and are (relatively) big strong guys. Brooks losing weight seemed to negatively impact his game.

Thought it was interesting yesterday on the Charles Schwab coverage, it was mentioned that Colin Morikawa has the distance to keep up with the likes of Brooks and some of the "big" boys. And certainly no offense to Colin, but he's tiny. Cam Champ is another example; he's not bulging veins or physically imposing, he's pretty lean but can absolutely crush it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess?

Yeah, at some point there's some genetic and athletic ability playing into that. Rory is definitely fit, but not hulked-up Bryson size. As my coach points out, Rory is able to get into positions that others can't, and that helps him generate more club speed. Bryson right now seems to be taking the approach of Force=Mass*Acceleration, with emphasis on mass.

Jamie Sadlowski generates a ton of club speed and isn't huge by any means. Kyle Berkshire is equally impressive with club speed but is definitely larger than Sadlowski.

I'm sure most of us have seen this in our own athletic endeavors. I was a reasonably big teenager, and played baseball around 220-230 pounds. Never was much more than a singles hitter. Our second baseman was scrawny but could hit balls out of the park one-handed. Frustrated me to no end, but that's the hand I was dealt.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

90F7084E-DF53-4F3D-9486-D60172C92943.jpeg

E5DF1285-0FE8-4E59-BE18-EBBF502F57AB.jpeg

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Bryson looks like he hit the dirty bulk pretty hard. Guess its working out for him.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

He's been quoted saying that he wants to lead the tour in average driving distance and thus far the bulking up is moving the needle - and, most importantly, not at the expense of other parts of his game.

I think he looks just "FAT" The only way he put on muscle that fast is with enhancement drugs. I'm not sure how often the PGA drug test but I would bet money he is tested after his next win. Look at Rory the dude can pound drives and he weights what? 165lbs soaking wet? Rory has overall fitness, Dechambeau just has mass and I would think his flexibility has suffered. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I think he looks just "FAT" The only way he put on muscle that fast is with enhancement drugs. I'm not sure how often the PGA drug test but I would bet money he is tested after his next win. Look at Rory the dude can pound drives and he weights what? 165lbs soaking wet? Rory has overall fitness, Dechambeau just has mass and I would think his flexibility has suffered. 
He released a 15 minute video on Instagram the other day in which he appears shirtless a few times. He is not fat. Not by any measure of the word. Maintaining his flexibility has been a key portion of his regime. He wants to get as big and strong as he can but without sacrificing range of motion or flexibility. His fitness regime is built around that.

Obviously his ability to stay healthy is huge but Justin Rose came out and said he smoked the ball 40 yards past him today. In today's golf distance is king and if he has figured it out and wins then kudos. Dude is far smarter than me so gonna leave those decisions to him Haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app