Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

DeChambeau Getting Swole

GolfSpy MPR

I watched Bryson play a few holes yesterady and my God, what did he do to himself?  I know he's not but he looks fat!  Hey, Bryson, all the muscle in the world doesnt mean a thing if you cant hit a fairway, cant hit a green and decel on your bunker shots.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

48 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

I watched Bryson play a few holes yesterady and my God, what did he do to himself?  I know he's not but he looks fat!  Hey, Bryson, all the muscle in the world doesnt mean a thing if you cant hit a fairway, cant hit a green and decel on your bunker shots.

He stated he wanted to be the longest driver on tour and he is accomplishing that. Colonial is a course where he can’t unleash the driver like he wants. 

Being 4 shots off the lead in the first tournament back isn’t too bad. The commentators noted on Friday that even with his new approach he has been able to maintain his ability to hit wedge shots.

Its hard to put 4 low rounds together each week so one round of even par yesterday.

im not a Bryson fan and some fo the stuff he has said when he started this bulking journey made no sense things seem to be working 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 6/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, StrawberryShortCake said:

I think he looks just "FAT" The only way he put on muscle that fast is with enhancement drugs. I'm not sure how often the PGA drug test but I would bet money he is tested after his next win. Look at Rory the dude can pound drives and he weights what? 165lbs soaking wet? Rory has overall fitness, Dechambeau just has mass and I would think his flexibility has suffered. 

Don't make him hangry. You wouldn't like him when hes...hangry.

IncredbleBULKDECHAM.jpg

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

He is leading the field this week in SG: OTT. He is third in SG:T2G. He is 3 shots back heading into the final round at a course that doesn’t favor long hitters with a field that is almost as strong as majors. I think he is doing ok. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

22 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

He is leading the field this week in SG: OTT. He is third in SG:T2G. He is 3 shots back heading into the final round at a course that doesn’t favor long hitters with a field that is almost as strong as majors. I think he is doing ok. 

From what little I watched yesterday he missed a lot of birdie chances and that has nothing to do with his bulking. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

From what little I watched yesterday he missed a lot of birdie chances and that has nothing to do with his bulking. 

Unless his pecs get SO big that he can't bring his arms together to putt lol. Yeah, seemed like he was giving up strokes on & around the green yesterday, but isn't the point in any tournament to be within 2 or 3 strokes going into Sunday? Certainly a small sample size, but I haven't seen remotely enough to say it's not working.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

I'll be interested to see how he does in the majors when he actually does face the best players in the world.  All that power is great but he's going to have to learn how to hit fairways and greens and to control that power.

Youd think that after seeing what bulking up did to Tiger, Rory and Brooks that players would finally learn that if they want to have a long career and avoid injury, bulking up isnt what you want to do.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

9 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Id agree that he's doing OK but talk to me when he wins a major.

Edited by ZenGolfer

16 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I'll be interested to see how he does in the majors when he actually does face the best players in the world.  All that power is great but he's going to have to learn how to hit fairways and greens and to control that power.

Youd think that after seeing what bulking up did to Tiger, Rory and Brooks that players would finally learn that if they want to have a long career and avoid injury, bulking up isnt what you want to do.

I think Tiger's injuries have less to do with bulking up than it does specifically with how he went about it - and he himself has admitted as much (at least in part).

Rory put on muscle because he was already suffering from back pain and needed to increase strength to stabilize and support what he was already doing with his body.

Did Brooks bulk? Pretty sure he's about the same build as he was when he came on tour a handful of years ago - not sure what he looked like when he was playing on The Challenge Tour.

I'd also add that with the exception of Brooks (I don't know when he started in golf), these guys have been swinging golf clubs since before they were fully potty-trained. I think it's fair to say they've already had long careers.

While I do believe there are limits to the amount of bulking that is beneficial (and Bryson is near that limit IMO) and that it is completely player dependent based on their frame and individual needs, fitness is prevalent in golf today because of the success that Tiger and other players since have had.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I'll be most interested in seeing how he handles the extra weight after a couple of tournaments in a row... as someone who carried around too much weight I know that I would breakdown getting later into rounds

He's a joke to me... telling everyone that he was working out 3 times a day and drinking 5 protein shakes... 

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

17 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

Id agree that he's doing OK but talk to me when he wins a major.

So now he has to win a major??

17 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

You might want to pay attention to what's happening not only on the Tour but golf in general. Strength and "bulking up" is becoming normal and will only increase in the future. 

And if there were 3 guys who I would be ok with mimicking my game after I would chose the 3 you stated and laugh at you all the way to the bank and golf hall of fame. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

14 minutes ago, Jwhite86 said:

I'll be most interested in seeing how he handles the extra weight after a couple of tournaments in a row... as someone who carried around too much weight I know that I would breakdown getting later into rounds

He's a joke to me... telling everyone that he was working out 3 times a day and drinking 5 protein shakes... 

What’s hard to believe about working out 3x a day. It’s not that hard to do when your a professional athlete and your job revolves around a sport and training for it not to mention he said he didnt play any 18 hole rounds coming into this week. Not to mention his outside responsibilities are also minimal especially during the quarantine. He wasn’t having to do sponsor events and shoots. He probably ha people handling his work around the house. So it’s easy to get up early do a workout for an hour or so, work on your game, get in another training session in the afternoon working on a different aspect of lifting...compound lifts in the morning with volume work in the afternoon and some form of mobility or explosive training in the evening or any variation of those during the day.

5 protein shakes a day isn’t hard to do and is an easy way to get 1) protein intake in 2) consume calories. A protein shake after every workout is 3 easy ways, drink one in between as a snack.

Do I think he actually lifted weights especially heavy every day? No because that would beat him or anyone up over a few months. Do I think he exercised in some manner 3x/day? For sure.

As much as he’s into the science behind it and he really dived into with Chris Cuomo on one of his swing expedition shows I’m sure he knows what his body can handle weight wise so that he isn’t carrying too much

29 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What’s hard to believe about working out 3x a day. It’s not that hard to do when your a professional athlete and your job revolves around a sport and training for it not to mention he said he didnt play any 18 hole rounds coming into this week. Not to mention his outside responsibilities are also minimal especially during the quarantine. He wasn’t having to do sponsor events and shoots. He probably ha people handling his work around the house. So it’s easy to get up early do a workout for an hour or so, work on your game, get in another training session in the afternoon working on a different aspect of lifting...compound lifts in the morning with volume work in the afternoon and some form of mobility or explosive training in the evening or any variation of those during the day.

5 protein shakes a day isn’t hard to do and is an easy way to get 1) protein intake in 2) consume calories. A protein shake after every workout is 3 easy ways, drink one in between as a snack.

Do I think he actually lifted weights especially heavy every day? No because that would beat him or anyone up over a few months. Do I think he exercised in some manner 3x/day? For sure.

As much as he’s into the science behind it and he really dived into with Chris Cuomo on one of his swing expedition shows I’m sure he knows what his body can handle weight wise so that he isn’t carrying too much

First it seems like overkill... Get a solid workout in and call it a day... it's the fact that he's telling everyone and their mom that he's working out 3 times a day and drinking the shakes... you can do it, just shut up about it... Most guys get 1 really good workout in and that's all you need... 3 times seems excessive... although that seems to be his personality and that's what I don't like about him.

If it works for him in the long run, good for him 

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

If I question anything about what Bryson is doing, it's longevity - not in his game, but actually how long can he keep up with the workouts and food intake. 

The online ranting on Bryson (predominantly Twitter) is rather amusing. He got big, so now he can't chip and putt? You mean the part of the game that requires the least physical ability... Hmm OK.

"He missed a bunch of birdie putts, needs to hit fairways, etc." Being stronger makes your body more resistant to injury and the forces of the golf swing. What if he approached this whole PGA season like a body builder - bulked up to 230 knowing he will be down to 215-220 by season's end when he isn't working out 3X a day. There is literature out there showing most of these guys lose swing speed over the year from fatigue and reduced training.

So you're saying he played bad and finished T3 1 shot out of a playoff... Sounds like he will crush if the putter gets hot and be in contention most weeks especially on courses that favor bombers... I can see hating his perceived attitude, choice of hat,  or pace of play issues, but his approach to trying anything new to improve is something most people would benefit from. Especially that if you do some strength/speed work you can gain 20-30 yards of distance with minimal improvement to your "golf" skills. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

12 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

The online ranting on Bryson (predominantly Twitter) is rather amusing. He got big, so now he can't chip and putt? You mean the part of the game that requires the least physical ability... Hmm OK.

"He missed a bunch of birdie putts, needs to hit fairways, etc." Being stronger makes your body more resistant to injury and the forces of the golf swing. What if he approached this whole PGA season like a body builder - bulked up to 230 knowing he will be down to 215-220 by season's end when he isn't working out 3X a day. There is literature out there showing most of these guys lose swing speed over the year from fatigue and reduced training.

So you're saying he played bad and finished T3 1 shot out of a playoff... Sounds like he will crush if the putter gets hot and be in contention most weeks especially on courses that favor bombers... I can see hating his perceived attitude, choice of hat,  or pace of play issues, but his approach to trying anything new to improve is something most people would benefit from. Especially that if you do some strength/speed work you can gain 20-30 yards of distance with minimal improvement to your "golf" skills. 

Watching him on the first day, I was actually quite impressed with his iron and wedge game. It doesn't seem like he's really lost his touch. What was the expectation? That he'd come out and win every tournament he enters? First impressions suggest that what Bryson is doing works - at least for him. I can't wait to see what he does on a longer course and I am not a Bryson fan. Gotta admit that this transformation makes him an entertaining watch though.

43 minutes ago, Jwhite86 said:

First it seems like overkill... Get a solid workout in and call it a day... it's the fact that he's telling everyone and their mom that he's working out 3 times a day and drinking the shakes... you can do it, just shut up about it... Most guys get 1 really good workout in and that's all you need... 3 times seems excessive... although that seems to be his personality and that's what I don't like about him.

How does 3x seem excessive? Curious what your training and or training background is. 

I broke down for you how he could be breaking down his workouts. There are athletes of all kind from various sports that workout 2x a day and there are normal every day people that do it as well because they don’t have time to be in the gym for more than a short period of time and will lift in the morning to get a portion of their workout done and and then lift in the evening to get the rest done.  

Hes using a trainer so I’m pretty sure if he’s working out 3x a day it’s being done for a reason and with a plan and not just so he can say he’s doing it.

He was asked about it and he answered. He's not going around just randomly telling everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Anyone who thinks he is jacked is delusional, after watching him this weekend his midsection is really bloated. He is more rocking the dad bod now! 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

You could not be more wrong. Go watch the video he posted on Instagram of his quarantine workouts. He's shirtless several times. He is about as far from a Dadbod as it gets. He's bulking up and growing his core muscles too so his midsection is going to get bigger, but suggesting it's cause he's fat is the delusional part.

Anyone who thinks he is jacked is delusional, after watching him this weekend his midsection is really bloated. He is more rocking the dad bod now! 

20 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

You could not be more wrong. Go watch the video he posted on Instagram of his quarantine workouts. He's shirtless several times. He is about as far from a Dadbod as it gets. He's bulking up and growing his core muscles too so his midsection is going to get bigger, but suggesting it's cause he's fat is the delusional part.

I'm sorry I have to disagree, there is no way he could put on that much lean muscle in 3 months. Absolutely impossible! In the first picture I posted is from one day ago. His face isn't even the same shape he is hiding a big old belly under that shirt. In the second picture you can see the extra weight he is carrying in his midsection. 

mh-6-17-dechambeau-1592420990.jpg

29626290-0-image-a-16_1592223814133.jpg

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

When tested for steroids, I hope he passes.... just saying

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

3 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

When tested for steroids, I hope he passes.... just saying

I guess that is one way you could possibly put on that much mass in 3 months and would explain the extra water weight he is carrying. Short ester steroids prob won't show in drug testing its how baseball players get away with PED's. I would imagine all the other sports are doing the same thing. 

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

Muscle is heavier than fat. Thought the thread heading was about a tubby Bryson, glad to see its about a fitter one.
I had a PT for 6 months (before I got Married) and put on weight but looked slimmer and healthier- muscle.
The good thing about marriage is you can stop looking after yourself and eat anything you want..............
Well said about marriage!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Cobra Speedzone 9° default_cobra-small.jpg.bf0039c0fa211a003217e70e184035fa.jpg

Woods- Sub70 Pro 5-Wood   08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg  

Utility- Titleist 718 T-MB 4 Utility  default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg

Irons- Sub70 649 MB Tour 5-PW, 699 Pro 2U  08e84065c69a5a06ed8fec52d91a.jpg.08662cdc8041ba1124fe725b926a5e95.jpg

Wedges- Cleveland Zipcore RTX 52°,56°, 60°  default_cleveland-small.jpg.0615c53919b7f92c3524630e353b33bb.jpg

Putter- Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 default_cameron-small.gif.dd99234f0267bb38c40c23053034a445.gif

Ball- Titleist ProV1x default_titelist-small.jpg.d620943db19c6c6f477d78c3e6dcfb1b.jpg  

1 hour ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

I guess that is one way you could possibly put on that much mass in 3 months and would explain the extra water weight he is carrying. Short ester steroids prob won't show in drug testing its how baseball players get away with PED's. I would imagine all the other sports are doing the same thing. 

It’s easy to put on mass in a few months and with that it’s going to typically be more fat than muscle and usually at best a 50/50 split. Really who cares how much fat or muscle he put on, or if he has a 5 pack or maybe some fluff around the mid section.

he had a goal and a plan to achieve it. Based on his numbers so far the plan is working. Even Rory was impressed with how far he was hitting it which btw is his goal

Having a bulky midsection is part of what he's trying to accomplish but it is very much not the same as a Dadbod gut. It's called the power gut, and it's something you'll see is quite common amongst Olympic lifters and Strongman competitors. Core strength is a key facet of the golf swing just like it is in a lot of the lifts Olympic lifters undertake and the events Strongman competitors take part in. The power gut is tightly packed fat and muscle.

Bryson is trying to get as strong as he can. That does not, nor will it ever mean, having a shredded 8 pack like Mr Olympia type bodybuilders who are starved and dehydrated during their competitions. What they're doing is more about aesthetic than functional strength. What Bryson is going for is all about being as functionally strong as he can possibly be. That's going to mean having a bulky midsection.

I'm sorry I have to disagree, there is no way he could put on that much lean muscle in 3 months. Absolutely impossible! In the first picture I posted is from one day ago. His face isn't even the same shape he is hiding a big old belly under that shirt. In the second picture you can see the extra weight he is carrying in his midsection. 
mh-6-17-dechambeau-1592420990.jpg.ed3e8bc834bb6ec0282587d1719adfe2.jpg
29626290-0-image-a-16_1592223814133.jpg.1ffd80a421e191d0c34a3345ded6751c.jpg

20200623_132600.jpeg