DeChambeau Getting Swole

Our Sponsors

4 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Watching his performance live at Royal Melbourne... can't say it worked too well for my boy. Too much change in too short a period of time, so looked pretty rusty.

Hadwin was keeping up with the distance no problem.

Given that DeChambeau was already one of the longer players on tour, I would have thought his gains would have been for more control (Since able to hit at 80% rather than 90%)

He states in the interview that chipping and putting has been his weakness - getting bulked up wouldn't seem to help that part of the game.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Muscle is heavier than fat. Thought the thread heading was about a tubby Bryson, glad to see its about a fitter one. I had a PT for 6 months (before I got Married) and put on weight but looked sl

I suspect you've already seen Bryson's announcement that he wanted to bulk up in two months. According to him, he's right on schedule: That's huge weight gain. Alright, start with the e

Unless his pecs get SO big that he can't bring his arms together to putt lol. Yeah, seemed like he was giving up strokes on & around the green yesterday, but isn't the point in any tournament to b

Posted Images

There are many things I really really like about Bryson. That I find encouraging about the game of golf. I like that he is a hard worker. I like that he is not cookie cutter tour pro. I like that he has energy and emotion. I like that he is willing to take risks like this to see if it will help him improve. 

I am not a fan of the scientist moniker. I am not a fan of his constant attempts to sound smart or maybe smarter than he is. I am not a fan of slow play in the slightest. 

If swing speed and ball speed are what he is after. It looks like it is working. I don't know yet if it will translate into success on the course, but I hope it does. 

Now we just need him to play faster and not hold up the groups behind him. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 2:21 PM, Quigleyd said:

There are many things I really really like about Bryson. That I find encouraging about the game of golf. I like that he is a hard worker. I like that he is not cookie cutter tour pro. I like that he has energy and emotion. I like that he is willing to take risks like this to see if it will help him improve. 

I am not a fan of the scientist moniker. I am not a fan of his constant attempts to sound smart or maybe smarter than he is. I am not a fan of slow play in the slightest. 

If swing speed and ball speed are what he is after. It looks like it is working. I don't know yet if it will translate into success on the course, but I hope it does. 

Now we just need him to play faster and not hold up the groups behind him. 

They were just talking about this on the WM.  I think I heard correctly that he had a drive ball speed yesterday over 200 mph.  

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

They were just talking about this on the WM.  I think I heard correctly that he had a drive ball speed yesterday over 200 mph.  

I saw one at at 187. So he has gained speed. So far not really turning into success but he did accomplish getting more distance.

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

10 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I saw one at at 187. So he has gained speed. So far not really turning into success but he did accomplish getting more distance.

He’s definitely gained speed, but I’m not sure it’s helping other portions of his game. I hope he can turn the rest of his game around and get back to winning tournaments again.

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• 1 month later...

He's good (obviously) but I think the dude thinks too much. I mean switching up clubs, changing putting styles, bulking up. The guy's a science project that's for sure.

:cobra-small: F7 Driver

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3 and 5 wood

:cobra-small: F9 irons 5 thru GW

:cobra-small: King Black Wedges 52/56/60

I was following him on Twitch yesterday, said he would like to get as big as The Rock, as long as he can (And he thinks he could) maintain the flexibility.

:cobra-small:King LTD 9*, Accra FX100 M3 45"/ King F8 9*, Accra FX200 M4 44" + 15g
,:cobra-small:King LTD 13*, Accra FX100 M3 42.5"
:cobra-small:F9+ 17.5*, Accra FX100 M3 40.5"
:cobra-small:King F8 OL 4-PW, Rogue Pro Iron 75 Regular 36"
:cobra-small:
King F8 OL GW-LW Rogue Pro Iron 85 Regular 36"
Lajosi-White2.jpg.2c9fd63a6e850be7bbf7177771c5ed8e.jpg Custom DD201WB Armlock (450g, 8*, 72* Upright, 40"), BGT Stability Shaft
:bridgestone-small: 2020 Tour B RX

• 4 weeks later...

Well it seems to be working out he is definitely hitting bombs!  Doesn't seem like its had any bad effects on the rest of his game!  I think I need to put on some muscle

• 1 month later...

It is super interesting to see different golfers approaches to fitness, and the varied success that comes with it.

Tiger has obviously been known to keep a very high fitness level, and that's given a lot of credit to his success. Rory now seems to be tracking a similar disposition to augmenting his game by staying fit.

But Phil has been actively chasing more speed the last few years and his performance has struggled. He's getting up there in age too, so it's tough to isolate the variables but it doesn't seem to be working for him.

Brooks and Woodland both have other athletic backgrounds, and are (relatively) big strong guys. Brooks losing weight seemed to negatively impact his game.

Thought it was interesting yesterday on the Charles Schwab coverage, it was mentioned that Colin Morikawa has the distance to keep up with the likes of Brooks and some of the "big" boys. And certainly no offense to Colin, but he's tiny. Cam Champ is another example; he's not bulging veins or physically imposing, he's pretty lean but can absolutely crush it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess?

Right Handed

Driver (9.5°): :taylormade-small: R9 SupterTri (Fujikura MotoreF1 65 Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-3) :ping-small: Eye 2's

Wedges (52° & 60°): :callaway-logo-1: Mack Daddy 2's

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour

2 hours ago, ncwoz said:

It is super interesting to see different golfers approaches to fitness, and the varied success that comes with it.

Tiger has obviously been known to keep a very high fitness level, and that's given a lot of credit to his success. Rory now seems to be tracking a similar disposition to augmenting his game by staying fit.

But Phil has been actively chasing more speed the last few years and his performance has struggled. He's getting up there in age too, so it's tough to isolate the variables but it doesn't seem to be working for him.

Brooks and Woodland both have other athletic backgrounds, and are (relatively) big strong guys. Brooks losing weight seemed to negatively impact his game.

Thought it was interesting yesterday on the Charles Schwab coverage, it was mentioned that Colin Morikawa has the distance to keep up with the likes of Brooks and some of the "big" boys. And certainly no offense to Colin, but he's tiny. Cam Champ is another example; he's not bulging veins or physically imposing, he's pretty lean but can absolutely crush it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess?

Yeah, at some point there's some genetic and athletic ability playing into that. Rory is definitely fit, but not hulked-up Bryson size. As my coach points out, Rory is able to get into positions that others can't, and that helps him generate more club speed. Bryson right now seems to be taking the approach of Force=Mass*Acceleration, with emphasis on mass.

Jamie Sadlowski generates a ton of club speed and isn't huge by any means. Kyle Berkshire is equally impressive with club speed but is definitely larger than Sadlowski.

I'm sure most of us have seen this in our own athletic endeavors. I was a reasonably big teenager, and played baseball around 220-230 pounds. Never was much more than a singles hitter. Our second baseman was scrawny but could hit balls out of the park one-handed. Frustrated me to no end, but that's the hand I was dealt.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

90F7084E-DF53-4F3D-9486-D60172C92943.jpeg

E5DF1285-0FE8-4E59-BE18-EBBF502F57AB.jpeg

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Bryson looks like he hit the dirty bulk pretty hard. Guess its working out for him.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

He's been quoted saying that he wants to lead the tour in average driving distance and thus far the bulking up is moving the needle - and, most importantly, not at the expense of other parts of his game.

I think he looks just "FAT" The only way he put on muscle that fast is with enhancement drugs. I'm not sure how often the PGA drug test but I would bet money he is tested after his next win. Look at Rory the dude can pound drives and he weights what? 165lbs soaking wet? Rory has overall fitness, Dechambeau just has mass and I would think his flexibility has suffered. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

I think he looks just "FAT" The only way he put on muscle that fast is with enhancement drugs. I'm not sure how often the PGA drug test but I would bet money he is tested after his next win. Look at Rory the dude can pound drives and he weights what? 165lbs soaking wet? Rory has overall fitness, Dechambeau just has mass and I would think his flexibility has suffered. 
He released a 15 minute video on Instagram the other day in which he appears shirtless a few times. He is not fat. Not by any measure of the word. Maintaining his flexibility has been a key portion of his regime. He wants to get as big and strong as he can but without sacrificing range of motion or flexibility. His fitness regime is built around that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Obviously his ability to stay healthy is huge but Justin Rose came out and said he smoked the ball 40 yards past him today. In today's golf distance is king and if he has figured it out and wins then kudos. Dude is far smarter than me so gonna leave those decisions to him Haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3