TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee Height

fixyurdivot

I have a question for you guys that are way more knowledgeable about the swing than I am.

With the driver...how do you make the "correct" sweeping swing that is supposed to catch the ball as the club starts an upward path, in the middle of the face, if the ball is teed low?

51 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

I've tried plastic tees before and I haven't really been impressed.  My wife got me some kind of boxed set off Amazon for Father's Day that included 4 Callaway Par Tees.  Nothing spectacular happened with ball performance off of them and they aren't as indestructible as claimed.  I believe I threw away the one that got a significant tear in the yellow rubber, but I tried to get a couple pictures of the other one that tore vs one that isn't torn.  Two of the pictures may be hard to see, but if I got good lighting, my phone would go out of focus.

I normally use these tees (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BTQYCF2/?coliid=I3HUQT97GZJN93&colid=2QZL1H8X0DBAK&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1) and have had good luck with them. They last much longer than wooden tees on average. However, no tee is indestructible despite manufacturer claims. Some just last longer than others and plastic tends to hold up better than wood in this case. That said, when the ground is firm, I have broken some of these on the first swing, but I wouldn't expect anything different with any other tee.

Currently, I am out of plastic tees and trying to work my way through a collection of wooden tees. I've been using a slightly shorter length wooden tee that is just barely long enough to be placed into the ground and used with my driver. It can be a touch unstable in some conditions (longer grass or high wind), but it usually works well and will fly right up out of the ground which enables it to be used multiple times before breaking.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I have a question for you guys that are way more knowledgeable about the swing than I am.

With the driver...how do you make the "correct" sweeping swing that is supposed to catch the ball as the club starts an upward path, in the middle of the face, if the ball is teed low?

Generalization:

As you manipulate tee height it influences your swing which impacts ball flight.

Also, How low is low and what are you trying to do? I use a low tee for lower ball flight. Same swing more off bottom of the face which launches lower. Other than that normal tee height is used.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Generalization:

As you manipulate tee height it influences your swing which impacts ball flight.

Also, How low is low and what are you trying to do? I use a low tee for lower ball flight. Same swing more off bottom of the face which launches lower. Other than that normal tee height is used.

That's what I was getting at. Without swinging down on the ball, I couldn't see any way not to hit off the bottom of the club. I do use a lower tee height in the wind and keep the flight lower, but I always hit off the bottom of the club.

30 minutes ago, silver & black said:

Come from the inside. The lower tee will lower the aoa so someone with a higher aoa will lose a couple degrees in aoa and my even be at level. The tendency will be to have a higher spinning shot due to lower strike on the face with the lower tee and slightly up swing.

i have a buddy who played a lower tee up until a year or two ago. He likes the old school ball flight of low launch and watching the ball climb. He had a slightly positive aoa

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

13 minutes ago, silver & black said:

That's what I was getting at. Without swinging down on the ball, I couldn't see any way not to hit off the bottom of the club. I do use a lower tee height in the wind and keep the flight lower, but I always hit off the bottom of the club.

Guessing your ball kind of gets hung up in the wind when you play it lower? 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Just putting this here for information since I know everyone is different. I use evolve epoch tees and on their website they provide a recommendation on how to set the ball height for you particular driver. And for the record, I do not use this recommendation to set my tee height.

https://evolvegolf.com/sweetspotsystem/

Just looked at it. A couple of points; The connector settings are incorrect for the Ping 410. Second is that the tee height is higher probably by at least 1/4" than my normal height. Since everyone's swing is a bit different not sure how they can create an ideal position. Maybe it ought to read 'starting point' and then adjust accordingly. I believe ball position plays an important part in this as well. 

I have set my tee height based on my driver performance off the tee in the past and got reasonably good results although I'm not taking advantage of the gearing effect - hitting in the middle or slightly higher. I'm going to the driving range and will use either foot spray or impact tape to determine optimum height. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

I think it is all dependent on AOA. I see guys teeing up the ball so low it resembles my tee for a short iron. The have an entirely different swing then I do (high AOA) At least one of the guy's in our group who tees it up low has almost a  lateral back swing. . 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I use 3 1/4 tees. I've had 2 pros tell me to tee it up high.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

42 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I think it is all dependent on AOA. I see guys teeing up the ball so low it resembles my tee for a short iron. The have an entirely different swing then I do (high AOA) At least one of the guy's in our group who tees it up low has almost a  lateral back swing. . 

I know. I have a friend that tees his driver like that. Other than actually hitting down on the ball like an iron, I don't see how you could ever hit the center of the face. His drives take off and balloon way up and then fall out the sky. 

• 2 months later...

Towards the end of my round today, I was already wore down and having a bad day with my driver.  I decided to try a 2 3/4" tee for a tee shot.  I placed it to where it was barely in the ground and ended up hitting a drive that was straight as could be.  Problem was, it was a bad hole to straight and I had to watch my ball play pinball in the trees.  I tested the results by teeing up a second ball the same way and got another straight ball flight.  Different result as the ball hit a little more to the right on the first tree and went for a swim in the river.  I think I may be a shorter tee convert.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

Towards the end of my round today, I was already wore down and having a bad day with my driver.  I decided to try a 2 3/4" tee for a tee shot.  I placed it to where it was barely in the ground and ended up hitting a drive that was straight as could be.  Problem was, it was a bad hole to straight and I had to watch my ball play pinball in the trees.  I tested the results by teeing up a second ball the same way and got another straight ball flight.  Different result as the ball hit a little more to the right on the first tree and went for a swim in the river.  I think I may be a shorter tee convert.

Interesting to see how tee height affects driver performance. An approach I used on the range with impact tape was to see the result ( impact position) by raising/lowering tee height

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

X2. One of the drills I do to try and place my clubs at "perfect" location. A reminder I need to do that again soon....

Interesting to see how tee height affects driver performance. An approach I used on the range with impact tape was to see the result ( impact position) by raising/lowering tee height

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I need to wipe my driver off. One of the benefits of the Cobra face is visible ball marks on every shot.  I plan on going to the range Friday morning and that would be a good time for a test.  I also wish I had a clue where the tees went.  I've noticed Western Birch tees are really sturdy and I wanted to see what a driver impact would do.  I have yet to snap one.  Hybrids and irons have produced minor damage at worst.

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

I've noticed Western Birch tees are really sturdy and I wanted to see what a driver impact would do.  I have yet to snap one.

Western birch vs. Other wood tees....

Ok Bryson....

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

On 5/12/2020 at 1:32 PM, silver & black said:

I know. I have a friend that tees his driver like that. Other than actually hitting down on the ball like an iron, I don't see how you could ever hit the center of the face. His drives take off and balloon way up and then fall out the sky. 

Sounds like he’s hitting down on it.

i have a friend that played his low because of a preferred ball flight but he wasn’t really hitting down on his and he hit it pretty far with a little draw

37 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I've noticed Western Birch tees are really sturdy and I wanted to see what a driver impact would do.  I have yet to snap one.

Western birch vs. Other wood tees....

Ok Bryson....emoji12.png

Take Dead Aim

Regular tees from Walmart break no matter what club I use.  Just saying that if I haven't broken one with an iron, a driver might not break one.  Or it might if I ever get my driver swing back under control.  And I do feel like Bryson when a ball goes 250 instead of 200 lol.

I snap all my tees all the time. I buy them by the pound. Neon Pink for my baby girl.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

15 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I snap all my tees all the time. I buy them by the pound. Neon Pink for my baby girl.

Take Dead Aim

I broke a plastic tee today.  First plastic tee I've broken since last winter when the ground was nearly frozen.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I broke a plastic tee today.  First plastic tee I've broken since last winter when the ground was nearly frozen.
Everything here gets so dry after July 4, everything snaps because of the firm ground

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Everything here gets so dry after July 4, everything snaps because of the firm ground

Take Dead Aim

Our ground is firm all year long.  110º all last week; 90's this week.  We only get 7 inches of rain a year.

The course I played today is not my normal course.  Most tee boxes were weeds, so not a nice grass root system.  Dried dirt.  I don't like playing there, but the guys that asked me to play are great guys and it's free with a cart.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Our ground is firm all year long.  110º all last week; 90's this week.  We only get 7 inches of rain a year.
The course I played today is not my normal course.  Most tee boxes were weeds, so not a nice grass root system.  Dried dirt.  I don't like playing there, but the guys that asked me to play are great guys and it's free with a cart.
Free sounds good. I like hot but whew that could be a lot for me

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I use to break wood tees all the time, most times after one drive. Switched to plastic a couple of years ago. Don't break any now but occasionally lose them.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I set about a third of the ball above the crown.  I used to do half but every once it a while I'd come in steep on the approach and sky one.  I use whatever tee will get that setup for me.  For irons I use a short white tee so I actually carry two different tees heights.  

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I use the 2 3/4 inch step tees.  They get me a consistent height every time.  One less variable as I’m trying to improve my game.  

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/pride-sports-2-75-step-golf-tees-50-pack-234steppts50tees/234steppts50tees 

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Well, @tony@CIC, I am officially a shorter tee convert with my driver.  I dont have specific numbers, but I hit some darn good shots.  Thank you again for sharing the information you did earlier in the year.  Hopefully this will lead to a lot more drives in the fairway.

I try to tee it the height that puts the ball in the middle of the club face (vertically) the most often. Basically fitting tee height to your particular swing.

I found I was hitting it a bit low on the club face, so I got longer tees. Cheapest equipment change ever that actually worked! 

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

• 2 weeks later...

When I started I used the blue 4 more yards tee. This was because it has a section where the plastic has a ring around it and that gave me a consistent height every time. Now with a regular tee,  I tee it up where the half the ball is above the top line of the driver. The line that the balls use for putting can be used as a measuring line as that is the half mark on the ball. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Whenever I am not focused and tee the ball higher than my norm, I end up skying it. Usually down the middle of the fairway, but only like 180 yards.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4