TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver Recommendation

How's it going. I am looking at getting a new driver (used one) but cannot get a fitting. Was hoping someone here might be able to give me a recommendation. 

Deciding between a Cobra F 8+ and a TaylorMade M2 (2nd generation). Both under $200 which is my price range. My handicap is a 6, and my speed swing is somewhere in the 105-115 range. Currently playing an M6 fairway wood but would like to add a driver to the bag. Was hoping someone on here might have played either the Cobra or the M2-- or perhaps something else. Any kind of help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

M2 abd it’s not even close. 2016 if you could get one is even better 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Sounds like you need a stiff flex shaft with that swing speed.

You'll probably opt for the M2, but I'd try hitting both (if you can) and pick the one that you like the most.  I am a feel player, so I'd have to hit both to make a decision.  I am also slightly biased, because if I was on Tour I'd have a PING hat, bag, and logo plastered all over me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
41 minutes ago, GSwag said:

You'll probably opt for the M2, but I'd try hitting both (if you can) and pick the one that you like the most.  I am a feel player, so I'd have to hit both to make a decision.  I am also slightly biased, because if I was on Tour I'd have a PING hat, bag, and logo plastered all over me.

Swing speed is only one aspect to shaft flex. He’s between a stiff and x. The way he loads and delivers the club will play a roll. As you mentioned hitting them will help determine what’s better for from a head as they are His numbers will determine what’s a better.  F8+ is going to be a lower spinning head especially compared to the m2.  The m2 paired with the right shaft especially the 2016 version is a head that has for a wide variety of golfers and is still one of the best drivers available. A better comparison to f8+ would be the m1 and again 2016 version one of the best drivers on the market for those looking to drop spin

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

You’ll fit comfortably into the stiff flex window.

As far as head to head, the M2 hands down.

The good news is if it doesn’t work out, it’s already depreciated enough that you could recoup most of your cost.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

You're only $49 away from a brand new Tour Exotics EXS. These drivers are overlooked by most players of any caliper. IMO they are very good looking and have all the latest tech you'd want in a driver. Yes, I play one and i'm slightly biased. It's been a winner for me.

https://shop.touredge.com/collections/exotics/products/exotics-exs-driver

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

18 hours ago, GSwag said:

Any thoughts on the G400 Ping? Was turned off by the original one because of all the hype about the MAX and LST. Thanks. 

Any thoughts on the G400 Ping? Was turned off by the original one because of all the hype about the MAX and LST. Thanks. 

It’s not hype, they’re true performers.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 hours ago, BirdieSpy said:

Unlike other drivers that have hype and that hype leads to success for some and not so much for others the ping g400 Max, lst and regular heads are the real deal. Golfers that would benefit from the Max were fit into the g400 regular head. The LST is one of the dominant heads on the market that many I’ve read aren’t upgrading to the g410.

imo the g400 line is the second best driver line out right behind the m1 and m2.  I think the g410 line probably comes in third 

5 hours ago, BirdieSpy said:

I'm pretty happy with it, and I've stopped counting the number of guys who are gaming it.  It's everywhere and it's very popular.  That said, I had the chance to hit the Callaway Epic Flash driver, with a 45 gram shaft in it, and I was really liking that bad boy, but unfortunately I won't be ponying up over $500 for that thing.  I'll find it used on the secondary market in a couple of years or something.

The prices for new drivers have gone insane IMHO.  Even over $300 for a golf club is nuts.  That's why I wait so long to replace a club I buy, because they cost so much.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Unlike other drivers that have hype and that hype leads to success for some and not so much for others the ping g400 Max, lst and regular heads are the real deal. Golfers that would benefit from the Max were fit into the g400 regular head. The LST is one of the dominant heads on the market that many I’ve read aren’t upgrading to the g410.

imo the g400 line is the second best driver line out right behind the m1 and m2.  I think the g410 line probably comes in third 

Thanks. Didn't enjoy what the M3 felt like, so I've looked past the M4. Enjoy the M2. Need to go to a shop and try out the Ping I guess. 

Just now, BirdieSpy said:

Thanks. Didn't enjoy what the M3 felt like, so I've looked past the M4. Enjoy the M2. Need to go to a shop and try out the Ping I guess. 

I didn’t see much improvement in the m3/4 over either version of m1/2. M5/6 was better than m3/4 but I couldn’t get m6 in play and I couldn’t find a combo with m5 that gave me playable spin. Had good numbers but spin was a few hundred lower than I would like for the days when swing is off.

i played a few drivers after 2016 m2 and g400 regular head was first one I found that matched what I saw from 16 m2. G410 fitting was good but I had inconsistencies in my swing early in the summer and wasn’t comfortable buying something and it being off when I got my swing back and the fitter that day was terrible...didn’t go back and get fit with my guy or the ping rep or try any other drivers. G410 lst has the potential to beat my g400.