golfpinseeker

How often do you use a golf range finder?

Seems not many discuss about rangefinder in this forum. 

Is it convenient to use a rangefinder during play?

Every shot, and also to gauge distances to traps/trees/etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I use my @PrecisionProGolf Nexus range finder on every hole that ends with a green and a hole on it.  Best gift ever!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GSwag said:

I use my @PrecisionProGolf Nexus range finder on every hole that ends with a green and a hole on it.  Best gift ever!

Same here. Love my NX7 Pro. 

• Like 2

Never, I use GPS - with front, center, back yardages it’s plenty accurate. And distance to hazards can be handy - can rangefinders always do that?

Guys I play with who have rangefinders seem to always use them on par 3’s, and only sporadically on approach shots FWIW.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Middler said:

Never, I use GPS - with front, center, back yardages it’s plenty accurate. And distance to hazards can be handy - can rangefinders always do that?

Only if you can see the hazard.  Hidden lakes and other assorted bunkers not seen won't help you get the distance from a range finder.

• Like 1

I use my rangefinder on every shot (except for most par 4 & 5 tee shots), but there are instances where GPS is the superior choice and I will revert to using SkyDroid on my iPhone. I'd really like to get a nice GPS watch or possibly even a handheld unit to accompany my Bushnell rangefinder. Especially since I just moved and will have to learn a whole bunch of new golf courses.

• Like 1

I prefer using a laser rangefinder over any GPS unit.  I carry mine with me and use it any shot where I can feasibly hit the green or layup to a specific area.  I happen to use a Bushnell rangefinder.  

• Like 2

2-3 times a hole unless it’s a par 3. I like to shoot hazards and trees that might be in my way to better plan my shot

• Like 2

Playing at my home course, maybe a dozen times a round.  Playing away, every shot to a green, and probably a dozen times more.  I'm also aware of distance markers, and will use those once I've checked enough of them to believe in their accuracy.  I'm not one of those people who will ALWAYS reach for the laser before every single shot as some kind of comfort blanket.  

• Like 2

I have used a range finder for years.  This year I added in a basic GPS that gives front, middle and back distances to the green.  My home course is hilly so there can be a number of shots where one can't laser the pin.  I still use the laser but not nearly as often as I used to.  

I've played my home course enough that I can generally pull the club for my second shot before leaving the tee.  It's nice to have the distances when I get out of position, however.  

• Like 1

Bought my first LRF last spring and use it on every hole.   Realy love it for layups, yardage to hazards and doglegs. 

Best golf purchase ever.

• Like 1

If I'm playing some where that doesnt have a gps in the cart or I am walking, I would say every par 3, and at least once each par 4, and maybe twice on par 5s. Basically every hole it is used at least once. 

• Like 1

Every pin that I can reach unless the shot is a chip, then I dont shoot it. 

• Like 2

When playing my home course I will only use it if I'm in an unfamiliar place. When I play new courses or ones that I don't play often I will use it on every hole.

The one I use is a hunting range finder so I always shoot the front of the green.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I’m kinda poaching here but I’m not a Range Finder guy, Golfbuddy has been my choice .IMG_0289.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I’m kinda poaching here but I’m not a Range Finder guy, Golfbuddy has been my choice .IMG_0289.PNG

My wife and I use both.  She carries the laser, and I use my 7 year old Golfbuddy.  Many times a round she will ask me how far is it to the front.  Some holes we can't visually tell where the front is exactly.  With the gps I pull clubs based on whether it's a red, yellow/white or blue flag.  A red flag... I split the difference between front and middle distance; a blue flag... I split the difference between middle and back distance. She does give me the laser distance on par 3's and my Golfbuddy method usually agrees close enough for my abilities.  

• Like 2

I formerly used GPS. Still have one but haven't used it in forever.

I use the laser on every hole, sometimes multiple times. I ride and use a Frogger Latch-It that attaches to the cart. Makes accessing it even quicker.

I may fire up the GPS again but can't see me ever abandoning the laser for it.

• Like 2

One of our guys bought a Laser Range Finder few weeks ago. The grumbling has started about how slow he’s gotten checking, dbl checking distances. He was a little slow to begin with.

• Like 1