Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Different golfer strategy

Charli

So from the beginning started golfing before I was married. Had range time putt time before the round. Played my round and practiced some more without worry. Got married range time and putt time stayed but practice stopped after. Had a kid now it’s just play 18 without anything. I walk out of the truck and head to first tee. So my question is how do I approach the first couple holes without ruining my round? I was 49/39 last week. Any tips on how to stay somewhat consistent starting my rounds? 

Pretty sure you already know the answer to that question .... stepping onto the tee box cold isn't your best way to start a round.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

yes Why I’m looking for tips or what other guys do who can’t hit the range before anymore. 

For me going to the range before playing actually screws up my swing for several holes. What I do is just loosen up with my Sklz swing trainer. Take a few swings with it to get my timing down and then tee off.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Get a practice donut to throw on the club to loosen up a bit.   Is there a net to hit into? Thats just a couple minutes.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Stretch out your limbs at the very least for at least 5 minutes.  I take a club and stretch my arms and legs to loosen them up a bit.  I have a bad back now, so it's a must for me to stretch out a bit.  And if you are not going to hit range balls, simulate your driver swing about 30 times as fast as you can after stretching.  The key for me in situations like this is to warm up without hitting a ball the same way I would if I had hit a small bucket or even just a handful of balls.

Do you have at least 5 minutes to practice putt?  By all means, if nothing else, test the speed of the greens by hitting a handful of practice putts at the very least.  I mean, I can hit 3 crappy shots on the first hole and still walk off with par if I can make the putt.

Another thing to try is having a "go to cold club" that isn't necessarily driver.  A lot of first holes are the easiest holes on the golf course, because the architect knows that every player needs at least one hole to get going, so they typically start you off easy.  Hit a club off of that tee that will get you in the fairway, even if it's like a 7 iron.  I'm less concerned with how far I hit my first tee shot as I am of just finding the fairway.  That first tee shot sets the tone for the entire round.  If you are cold and had no warm up and then you hit a bad tee shot right away, you will probably already be defeated before you've even hit your 2nd shot.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

8 minutes ago, GSwag said:

Stretch out your limbs at the very least for at least 5 minutes.  I take a club and stretch my arms and legs to loosen them up a bit.  I have a bad back now, so it's a must for me to stretch out a bit.  And if you are not going to hit range balls, simulate your driver swing about 30 times as fast as you can after stretching.  The key for me in situations like this is to warm up without hitting a ball the same way I would if I had hit a small bucket or even just a handful of balls.

Do you have at least 5 minutes to practice putt?  By all means, if nothing else, test the speed of the greens by hitting a handful of practice putts at the very least.  I mean, I can hit 3 crappy shots on the first hole and still walk off with par if I can make the putt.

Another thing to try is having a "go to cold club" that isn't necessarily driver.  A lot of first holes are the easiest holes on the golf course, because the architect knows that every player needs at least one hole to get going, so they typically start you off easy.  Hit a club off of that tee that will get you in the fairway, even if it's like a 7 iron.  I'm less concerned with how far I hit my first tee shot as I am of just finding the fairway.  That first tee shot sets the tone for the entire round.  If you are cold and had no warm up and then you hit a bad tee shot right away, you will probably already be defeated before you've even hit your 2nd shot.

Yeah I can test the greens which I usually putt a couple balls but it’s more the tee shots and approaches on the first couple/9 holes 

2 hours ago, tehuti said:

For me going to the range before playing actually screws up my swing for several holes. What I do is just loosen up with my Sklz swing trainer. Take a few swings with it to get my timing down and then tee off.

I second using the Skilz swing trainer.  I will always stretch out my hips, back and shoulders, then make 10 swings both right and left-handed with the Skilz.  It may take you a few rounds but if you stick with the same routine, the first tee shot becomes fairly routine.

I'm 72 and very rarely hit the range before playing.  At my age if I hit a good shot on the range, it's one I wasted not hitting it on the course. lol  I will spend as much time as I can before I play putting and chipping.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

yes Why I’m looking for tips or what other guys do who can’t hit the range before anymore. 

I’ve come full circle with this - when i started playing very few courses had ranges - you showed up, put your ball on the rack, waited your turn and tee’d off when the starter called you up to the tee.

As newer courses were built ranges were included and pre-children (early 80’s) I started warming up. Once I had children I went through a transitional period where I learned to just show up and play again. You need to develop a simple stretching routine to get loose from the truck to the first tee, 3 or 4 chips and putts would be helpful (way more important than hurt balls.)

You could actually practice this on the range if you find sone practice time - Stretch and hit driver first - you’ll find it works fine. I can hit balls before I play or not now - it makes no difference to my score.

You will get the hang of it and wonder why you ever needed to hit balls before playing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 4 weeks later...

If you can, do a little bit of yoga before you leave the house.  You don't need to do a ton; I do maybe ten minutes or so.

When you get to the course and get to the first tee, do the following:

1.  Front-to-back leg kicks, about 30 seconds with each leg.

2.  Side-to-side leg kicks in front of your body, about 30 seconds with each leg.  Really swing your hips when you do this.

3.  Forward arm circles, about 30 seconds.  Start small, finish with big windmills.

4.  Reverse arm circles, about 30 seconds.  Again, start small, finish with big windmills.

So in about 2 minutes, you should be warm enough to hit that opening tee shot.  I've taken this from a couple different teaching pros whom I trust.  I play a fair amount of after-work golf where I just roll up to the first tee straight from the parking lot.  I've found now that I really don't like to hit a bunch of balls before I play.  10 shots or so will tell me what direction the ball is going, and I'll do that two minute warmup before hitting balls.

I also tend to play the first few holes pretty conservatively as @GSwag suggests.  I'm not going to hit a driver on a tight hole with trouble on both sides if you have to start on a tough hole.  All I want to do is keep the ball on the golf course and give myself a chance to see what direction the ball is going.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If you can, do a little bit of yoga before you leave the house.  You don't need to do a ton; I do maybe ten minutes or so.
When you get to the course and get to the first tee, do the following:
1.  Front-to-back leg kicks, about 30 seconds with each leg.
2.  Side-to-side leg kicks in front of your body, about 30 seconds with each leg.  Really swing your hips when you do this.
3.  Forward arm circles, about 30 seconds.  Start small, finish with big windmills.
4.  Reverse arm circles, about 30 seconds.  Again, start small, finish with big windmills.
So in about 2 minutes, you should be warm enough to hit that opening tee shot.  I've taken this from a couple different teaching pros whom I trust.  I play a fair amount of after-work golf where I just roll up to the first tee straight from the parking lot.  I've found now that I really don't like to hit a bunch of balls before I play.  10 shots or so will tell me what direction the ball is going, and I'll do that two minute warmup before hitting balls.
I also tend to play the first few holes pretty conservatively as [mention=71158]GSwag[/mention] suggests.  I'm not going to hit a driver on a tight hole with trouble on both sides if you have to start on a tough hole.  All I want to do is keep the ball on the golf course and give myself a chance to see what direction the ball is going.  

Great advice. As I look back on 2019, the days I played well I did a bunch of stretches at home (I'm only 10 min away from our #1) and played conservatively on our #1 which has water and bunkers to temp an aggressive shot.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

So from the beginning started golfing before I was married. Had range time putt time before the round. Played my round and practiced some more without worry. Got married range time and putt time stayed but practice stopped after. Had a kid now it’s just play 18 without anything. I walk out of the truck and head to first tee. So my question is how do I approach the first couple holes without ruining my round? I was 49/39 last week. Any tips on how to stay somewhat consistent starting my rounds? 

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

Thanks @SteddyGolf. I will definitely add side bends. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

A lot of good advice here For me, I work 2nd shift so I don't get to bed until about 2 a.m. I play a morning league so any kind of warm up is out of he question. What I have found that works for me is hit the putting green if there's time. Usually there's not.  While everyone's on the first tee, chatting while waiting for the fairway to clear I'm gently swinging the club in big arcs off to the side. My first tee shot is only about 50%  of what I got. My focus on the first tee is the short grass, not so much the distance. Same for the approach shot. With each hole I turn up the juice a bit until usually by the 4th hole, then it's game on !!!!It gets easier the warmer it gets here in Michigan

This seems to work for me....

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX