Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Need advice for my son

My son has been fitted and ready for new wedges,irons and woods. Going all Callaway except for Titleist wedges. My question is when do 2020 products come out? Should we wait? We are at the end of the yr and I'd hate to buy all new stuff and then immediately new products are out. On the other hand maybe 2019's get discounted at some point? Any advice? Thanks a head of time!

Edited by brgolfman

2020 products if not already released will be out at the pga show for order with most releasing in February. Vokey wedges will be available early March. 2019 products will be discounted soon if not already. I know the vokeys have been discounted and stock in many places is running out...not sure what lead time is for ordering.

if your soon was fit for current products 1) they won’t just stop working when new products come out. They will still perform the same as in the fitting and the chances of 2020 products being significantly better is slim. Most improvements occur on the 3+ year cycle. 2) the design characteristics of what comes out in 2020 may require a new fitting to get the optimal results and depending on what irons he was fit into there may not be a 2020 replacement as Callaway has a 18-24 month cycle so if he was fit into apex irons as an example there isn’t a 2020 release coming

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

New equipment can come out anytime during the year. Some 2020 products are out now; most are released after PGA show in January.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wouldn't sweat it. 2019 clubs are just as good as 2020 clubs. I'd imagine you could save a few bucks by buying 2019 models. New clubs are new clubs. Personally, I'd have no problem buying a set of 2017-2018 clubs. Who cares. You're not going to gain anything performance wise by buying the latest and greatest. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

How old is your son?

When I was in high school I was playing my Dad's hand me down 5 year old set of clubs, with one of his worn out old golf bags.

But don't worry about it.  I bought my PING G irons, thinking that'd do for awhile, and about 30 minutes after I walked out of the store with them PING was releasing another set of "better, further, exceptional" irons and clubs that made my new purchase completely "obsolete".

Honestly, unless you've got the next Tiger Woods there, go to Play it Again Sports and score a great deal on someone else's twice hit cavity back irons that still smell factory fresh for about $300 or less.

Buying golf clubs is like buying iPhones.  Wait 5 minutes and they've released a new one.  Apple and Samsung, like golf club manufacturers think we're printing money they keep scamming the public with their "jailbreak" technology or other such marketing BS.

Golf is supposed to be a fun game to play.  🙄

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends on if you can play through the winter and the $$ situation.  Late November early December discounts can happen that may save you a couple hundred dollars but the tech will always change to bigger, longer straighter... figure out when you will (your son will) be able to get in the practice and play time and get the clubs that fit best, feel best and fit in your budget.

Tour Edge EXS KBS Max 80

Tour Edge C722 3H, 5H Ventus Blue 7-R (great stock shaft)

Callaway Epic Speed 16.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60

Ping G400 UST Helium Proto 5f4

TaylorMade Ghost Manta Putter

If I was "the man" I'd be in the fairway - Bubba Watson

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:00 AM, brgolfman said:

My son has been fitted and ready for new wedges,irons and woods. Going all Callaway except for Titleist wedges. My question is when do 2020 products come out? Should we wait? We are at the end of the yr and I'd hate to buy all new stuff and then immediately new products are out. On the other hand maybe 2019's get discounted at some point? Any advice? Thanks a head of time!

Last I checked, Callaway offered three new Driver models last year. The latest and greatest offering isn't necessarily what's best for your son's game, particularly irons and wedges. The technology doesn't change that much YOY.

FWIW, I purchased my first "new" club since 2007 this past year - a 2017 model Srixon z565 driver on sale for $170. It was rated "best value" by many, including MGS. Do I hit it much further than my old circa 2007 Cleveland HiBore? Not when I hit both on the screws, but my misses are better. Especially off the heel. 

Since it sounds like you don't have my limited budget, just get him what looks, feels, and works best - Callaway, Titleist, whatever. You shouldn't limit him to one brand unless you're getting a hyper deal of some kind. Back in 2007, I got 3-PW Cleveland TA3 irons + said HiBore driver for a budget-conscious $700.

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece