Sign in to follow this  
brgolfman

Need advice for my son

My son has been fitted and ready for new wedges,irons and woods. Going all Callaway except for Titleist wedges. My question is when do 2020 products come out? Should we wait? We are at the end of the yr and I'd hate to buy all new stuff and then immediately new products are out. On the other hand maybe 2019's get discounted at some point? Any advice? Thanks a head of time!

Edited by brgolfman

2020 products if not already released will be out at the pga show for order with most releasing in February. Vokey wedges will be available early March. 2019 products will be discounted soon if not already. I know the vokeys have been discounted and stock in many places is running out...not sure what lead time is for ordering.

if your soon was fit for current products 1) they won’t just stop working when new products come out. They will still perform the same as in the fitting and the chances of 2020 products being significantly better is slim. Most improvements occur on the 3+ year cycle. 2) the design characteristics of what comes out in 2020 may require a new fitting to get the optimal results and depending on what irons he was fit into there may not be a 2020 replacement as Callaway has a 18-24 month cycle so if he was fit into apex irons as an example there isn’t a 2020 release coming

• Like 3

New equipment can come out anytime during the year. Some 2020 products are out now; most are released after PGA show in January.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sweat it. 2019 clubs are just as good as 2020 clubs. I'd imagine you could save a few bucks by buying 2019 models. New clubs are new clubs. Personally, I'd have no problem buying a set of 2017-2018 clubs. Who cares. You're not going to gain anything performance wise by buying the latest and greatest. 

• Like 1

How old is your son?

When I was in high school I was playing my Dad's hand me down 5 year old set of clubs, with one of his worn out old golf bags.

But don't worry about it.  I bought my PING G irons, thinking that'd do for awhile, and about 30 minutes after I walked out of the store with them PING was releasing another set of "better, further, exceptional" irons and clubs that made my new purchase completely "obsolete".

Honestly, unless you've got the next Tiger Woods there, go to Play it Again Sports and score a great deal on someone else's twice hit cavity back irons that still smell factory fresh for about $300 or less.

Buying golf clubs is like buying iPhones.  Wait 5 minutes and they've released a new one.  Apple and Samsung, like golf club manufacturers think we're printing money they keep scamming the public with their "jailbreak" technology or other such marketing BS.

Golf is supposed to be a fun game to play.  🙄

• Like 1

Depends on if you can play through the winter and the $$ situation.  Late November early December discounts can happen that may save you a couple hundred dollars but the tech will always change to bigger, longer straighter... figure out when you will (your son will) be able to get in the practice and play time and get the clubs that fit best, feel best and fit in your budget.