Something old, something new...

Our Sponsors

52 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Huh? Scotty Cameron's entire Phantom line has both face balanced and toe hang putters for just about every model in the lineup.

The Taylormade Spider comes in both face balanced and toe hang options.

Odyssey makes both face balanced and toe hang putters.

There are plenty of options for all types of strokes out there.

Thanks for the correction, jlukes.  As an active player,  I'm sure that your awareness of these things is more acute than mine. My more casual observations didn't reveal many face balanced putters.

57 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Huh? Scotty Cameron's entire Phantom line has both face balanced and toe hang putters for just about every model in the lineup.

The Taylormade Spider comes in both face balanced and toe hang options.

Odyssey makes aboth face balanced and toe hang putters.

There are plenty of options for all types of strokes out there.

The select line has several that have toe hang and face balanced as well

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Thanks for the correction, jlukes.  As an active player,  I'm sure that your awareness of these things is more acute than mine. My more casual observations didn't reveal many face balanced putters.

Nah, I get it. Why look into something further when you can just make false statements and then claim ignorance? 

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

On 12/8/2019 at 12:48 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

I had heard that there were some runs of cast Muirfields.  It'll be interesting to see if I can tell the difference.

I've also heard about your Muirfields with Apex shafts.  That's a true meeting of the minds.

On face value it is easy to tell--- The forged ones like yours have "Tour Forged" stamped in the hosel the cast ones do not. As far as feel some can tell and some can not. Me I was blessed with an uncanny sense of feel and I can tell. The Muirfields were built as a back up set to my VIPs which are in my signature. Like I said that is not my invention that wa a Carolinas thing back in the day

• Like 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

On 12/9/2019 at 10:57 AM, NiftyNiblick said:

Here's something old AND new, in a manner of speaking.

Straight back and through putting strokes are not in vogue today, but some still do exist.  What barely exist at all in today's marketplace are faced balance putters to accommodate those strokes.

An old favorite was the Ram Zebra mallet.  Original Zebras--the good ones--are now literally older than presidential candidate Mayor Pete. Good luck trying to find a Zebra putter with a face that isn't worn or, more likely, dinged.

A friend of mine found a suitable alternate face-balanced mallet, however--the Louisville Golf "Willie Dunn" putter.  Reproductions of an early 20th century model, these brand new putters have persimmon mallet heads, brass face plates, and hickory shafts.  And, allegedly, despite a more centered shaft, they putt very similarly to the Ram Zebra.  I, of course, cannot confirm this with personal experience. Were I still playing, however, I'd certainly try one.

Well you do know the Tommy Armour company somewhere the late 90s did a reproduction of the old Zebra putter and called it the Teardrop. But stock it was heavier than the old Zebra but the sole plate did not come off. The old Ram Zebras the sole plate came off and had washers mounted on a stud that you could take some off or put some on depending on what you wanted

Now I heard this from non other than Tad Moore himself ( yep that one) that back in the day on tour he used to modify Zebra putters by pulling the sole plate off and filling the hollow cavity with epoxy and lead powder mix. It adds weight and makes them hit more solid. The stock ones with the weights always felt tinny or hollow (which they were) to me. I have also heard the rumor back in my Mini Tour days in Florida that a many Zebra putter was filled with an illegal white substance and sent to the Carolinas and beyond. I never saw or participated in that endeavor but have heard the "urban legends". 

As far as putting stroke back in the day I was an arc putter did it for years. Was told by quite a few of those supposedly in the know that I had a "flaw" in my stroke. In the last few years my hand eye coordination is not what it used to be and I had a tendency to fan or keep the face open or steroid jerk it and shut it down. I have went to a left hand low stroke which is SBST and helps me quite a bit. One of my buds on WRX is from across the big pond and he calls it "Cack handed" which is what the old timers called cross handed. I learned the cross hand stroke messing with my old Bulls Eye putters and it works excellent with the Scotty Santa Fe for me

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

On 12/8/2019 at 3:48 AM, BIG STU said:

I did not invent the "bastardization" That was a Carolina's thing back in the 70s and 80s. I thought it was a thing in the Piedmont area of NC but found out differently about 5 years or so ago that it was also popular in the Triad region of NC too. It had to be popular in a lot more areas too because it prompted a letter from Mr Hogan himself to Hogan dealers condemning the practice of installing Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs. He threatened to pull the franchise of any dealer caught doing so. My old man was not a Hogan dealer for some reason he despised Mr Hogan but would never say why which was his way. His bud in Eastern NC was a Hogan dealer and he got his shafts there. When his bud got the letter he copied it and sent one to my old man who got a kick out of that. It did not stop the hustlers who just bought whole sets and had shafts pulled. I have wondered lately how many sets of never hit heads from that era were in Harold Dale's shop in Charlotte when he closed up shop in around 90 or so. My old man never liked the conversion on Macgregor clubs and often said " he did not know why in the hell someone would put an inferior ( Apex) shaft in a Macgregor club? He was a Pro Pel man period. Someone who knew my old man said one night they bet he rolled in his grave 2 times when I built those 2 sets. I told them yeah maybe but he rolled back over when he saw how good I hit them. I had thought of doing the conversion on the one set of FCs that were his that he got new in 62 but was scared that may be the final straw and he would come back and haunt me for the rest of my days. I know he got most of the pull out shafts from Harold's shop for free and when Macgregor started using Brunswick shafts in the 80s he called someone at the Mac factory in GA and got like 2 barrel fulls of new Pro Pel shafts. I do not know what happened to all those shafts when he retired

Wound up doing a similar thing with my MacGregors, @BIG STU - pulled the Project X 5.0's from the VIP 1025 CB/MB set (I'm guessing circa 2000, 2001?) and put in a set of Apex #4 shafts a couple of years ago. A fitter/builder I know in Minnesota bought a ton of Apex shafts as Callaway was mothballing Hogan back in the day - he absolutely LOVES those shafts as do I. 

And the MacGregors are out of mothballs - played them for the last part of the season up here in New England, and they made the traveling team to Streamsong. Damn those are some sweet feeling sticks, and remarkably easy to hit. Am heading to  Palm Springs this weekend, fully expect them to be on the plane with me once again....either them or the '93 Hogan Edge GCD's....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

8 hours ago, BIG STU said:

have also heard the rumor back in my Mini Tour days in Florida that a many Zebra putter was filled with an illegal white substance and sent to the Carolinas and beyond. I never saw or participated in that endeavor but have heard the "urban legends". 

@BIG STU - You need to write a book.  We need these stories to live on. 

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

23 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Wound up doing a similar thing with my MacGregors, @BIG STU - pulled the Project X 5.0's from the VIP 1025 CB/MB set (I'm guessing circa 2000, 2001?) and put in a set of Apex #4 shafts a couple of years ago. A fitter/builder I know in Minnesota bought a ton of Apex shafts as Callaway was mothballing Hogan back in the day - he absolutely LOVES those shafts as do I. 

And the MacGregors are out of mothballs - played them for the last part of the season up here in New England, and they made the traveling team to Streamsong. Damn those are some sweet feeling sticks, and remarkably easy to hit. Am heading to  Palm Springs this weekend, fully expect them to be on the plane with me once again....either them or the '93 Hogan Edge GCD's....

You do know also the 1025s are rumored to be Miura forged too like the Pro 82s. Imho any Mac blade feels good and the Apex shafts enhance them------ So the guys in the Land of 10,000 Lakes know about MacHogans too!!!!  Yep so you have a set of "Bastardized Macs" or Machogans too!!!!

• Like 1

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

You do know also the 1025s are rumored to be Miura forged too like the Pro 82s. Imho any Mac blade feels good and the Apex shafts enhance them------ So the guys in the Land of 10,000 Lakes know about MacHogans too!!!!  Yep so you have a set of "Bastardized Macs" or Machogans too!!!!

I did not know that, but it wouldn't be a surprise. When I took them out of mothballs just for fun, I just couldn't stop hitting them. From there it was easy to put them back in the bag. Next step is to get them refinished...

• Like 2

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

IMG_9818.JPG

“MacHogans” getting a workout today at Indian Wells. I’m in love

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Love 2

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

4 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

IMG_9818.JPG

“MacHogans” getting a workout today at Indian Wells. I’m in love emoji173.pngemoji173.pngemoji173.pngemoji173.png

That has to be the Indian Wells in California right? I know it ain't the Indian Wells here which is my home course because the sun is shining in your photo and it is cold and raining here. And BTW next Saturday is the last day for my Indian Wells because it is closing to put yet more condos on.  You can tell your irons are soft forged because of the chatter marks which IMHO adds character

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

IMG_9818.thumb.JPG.efaa4105cb9fbf501d53a0e94b54a30d.JPG

Gee, thanks for posting those. I have a set saved in my cart on my eBay page that I continue to gawk.

One of the legit top 5 blades ever made that nobody talks about.
  • Like 2
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Gee, thanks for posting those. I have a set saved in my cart on my eBay page that I continue to gawk.

One of the legit top 5 blades ever made that nobody talks about.

IMHO as far as pro line Macgregors there was never but 2 sets of blades NOT talking about and that was the split sole MTs and the Syncrolites

• Like 2

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

IMHO as far as pro line Macgregors there was never but 2 sets of blades NOT talking about and that was the split sole MTs and the Syncrolites

Hahaha, let’s say that those were the writers block years!

The 1025’s were so beautiful and kept some nostalgia in an era where blades were trying to balance modern looks and smoother rounded lines.
  • Like 1
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

IMG_9818.thumb.JPG.efaa4105cb9fbf501d53a0e94b54a30d.JPG

I have a 7 iron in the MB, and a 6 in the CB, same as pictured, and what surprises me the most is the amount of offset those have. I LOVE hitting the 7 iron. The feel is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I gamed Nicklaus Muirfield Blades for 12 years......which were McGregors.

Loved them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

On 12/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, fozcycle said:

I gamed Nicklaus Muirfield Blades for 12 years......which were McGregors.

Loved them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

LOL I have 3 sets of them no joke--- One set will send someone into a frenzy after I pass. That set has been Hoganized too with a catch--- I kept the original Hogan ferules complete with Hogan SNs---- Yep a set of Muirfields with Hogan Director SNs

• Like 3

4 wood Adams Tight Lies