bzielinski

Possible Counterfeit Golf Balls

Recently purchased some 5A Titleist balls on Ebay.

Ordered 48 yellow AVX, every ball looked like they were fresh from package, no player marks, not even the slightest nick or scuff. Every Ball had the same number. When i questioned the vendor he said if I was nervous I could return the balls. Wwhich I did .

Bought some of the new Yellow Prov 1X from another vendor. Again every ball looked just like brand new, No player marks or any evidence that had ever  been hit.

Cut one open and tweeted image it to #finditcutit and also to @titleist.

Both vendors claim THEY do not repaint or rebrand either of these orders. It is my suspicion that they are buying new yellow unbranded balls and having the Titleist logo and info applied. Both vendors have over 1000 positive feedback.

I have emailed Titleist with the vendor info for them to investigate.

Bud

Titleist Yellow Pro V1X.jpg

eBay is probably the last place I'd by golf balls 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Right? Especially if buying something like refurbished/found balls. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

just curious who were the ebay sellers

Have given Titleist the names and will post them after they have a chance to look into this

4 minutes ago, bzielinski said:

Have given Titleist the names and will post them after they have a chance to look into this

Why not post save others from potentially making same mistake 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bzielinski said:

OK the vendors were "clearchoice"  and "lostgolfballsretail"

Interesting - I  order 5A Titleist balls direct  from Lostgolfballs.com. Not sure if this is the same as Lostgolfballsretail on ebay. Your post and their having the same number on them intrigued me so I went ahead and cut one of the ProV1X's that I just ordered from them. You can see in the pic that it conforms to the quality of what I'd expect a ProV1X to look like.  Note I order the 2019 version @$27/doz which is more expensive than the ones on ebay that I looked at. 

IMG_6342.JPG

• Like 1

looks like it's the same company. Did any of the balls you rec'd looked they had ever been hit or have any player marks ?

note the reply from the vendor in one place it says lostgolfballsretail and at the end lostgolfballs

New message from: lostgolfballsretail Top Rated Seller(89,825PurpleShooting Star)

Bud,
Thank you for reaching out to me about this. You are correct, by law Refinished/Refurbished golf ball must have that written on the golf ball. I can confirm that these golf balls have not been refinished, as we do not refinish AVX Yellow golf balls, and all of our refinished golf balls have Refinished written on them. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Thank You For Using LostGolfBalls!

and in the return authorization

Mr. Zxxx

The attachment to this email is a prepaid return shipping label. If you could please print it out, attach it to the box and drop it off at your nearest FedEx facility, that will complete the return process. Please let me know if you have any questions or need anything further. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Matthew Campbell
E-Commerce Customer Relations Supervisor
866.639.4819 Ext.276
MatthewC@LostGolfBalls.com

12505 Reed Rd Ste150~Sugar Land TX, 77478

No marks on them - they were in pristine condition. Note I have bought refinished balls in the past from another source and after 18 holes they were pretty beat up. The ones i bought (2019 Pro V1x's) had no marks even after playing multiple rounds. You can also  see from my pic that they were of better quality than the pic you had in your original post. 

I think their response about returns speaks volumes as to their credibility. 

On 11/4/2019 at 8:55 AM, tony@CIC said:

No marks on them - they were in pristine condition. Note I have bought refinished balls in the past from another source and after 18 holes they were pretty beat up. The ones i bought (2019 Pro V1x's) had no marks even after playing multiple rounds. You can also  see from my pic that they were of better quality than the pic you had in your original post. 

I think their response about returns speaks volumes as to their credibility. 

like you the 48 balls I rec'd were pristine, just like they just fell out of the sleeve.

So how many people do you think it would take to find 48 totally unmarked YELLOW Prov V1x (remember they just started making the yellow ones this this year).

Isn't it more plausible that these are brand new balls from some manufacturer that are branded as Pro V1x ???

The return policy works in their favor to hold complaints. Everyones happy, the customer gets their money back and they get the balls back to sell to some other unsuspecting golfer.

Thought provoking question especially since there are a number of resellers of used golf balls. I would think the more reputable places probably get many of their balls from the Tour. I know when I was at an LPGA event and watched the ladies play they had stacks and stacks of golf balls. Are those sold later sold to those retailers? Plus think about all the golfers and the number of balls they buy that are then lost. For instance just last week I found 3 brand spanking new AVX balls - 2 white and 1 yellow. If I was patient, I could probably fish through our ponds every week and find an entire summer supply of golf balls. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Thought provoking question especially since there are a number of resellers of used golf balls. I would think the more reputable places probably get many of their balls from the Tour. I know when I was at an LPGA event and watched the ladies play they had stacks and stacks of golf balls. Are those sold later sold to those retailers? Plus think about all the golfers and the number of balls they buy that are then lost. For instance just last week I found 3 brand spanking new AVX balls - 2 white and 1 yellow. If I was patient, I could probably fish through our ponds every week and find an entire summer supply of golf balls. 

Doubt they come from the tour.  When I volunteered at a Symetra event they took the balls from event to event.   LPGA and PGA probably donate to youth golf.   The resellers probably get the balls from the companies that are contracted to clean out the lakes or they have their own staff that dives the ponds.  

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/divers-make-living-diving-used-golf-balls-golf-courses

• Like 1

Doubt they come from the tour.  When I volunteered at a Symetra event they took the balls from event to event.   LPGA and PGA probably donate to youth golf.   The resellers probably get the balls from the companies that are contracted to clean out the lakes or he they have their own staff that dives the ponds.  
https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/divers-make-living-diving-used-golf-balls-golf-courses

I read about the guy that does this - diving and pulling thousands of balls out in a days time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I read about the guy that does this - diving and pulling thousands of balls out in a days time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Read a few stories about the guys that make pretty good money diving for balls.  They are probably the exception in the business and there are lots of hazards depending on where you are doing the diving....gators, snakes, snapping turtles, etc. 

• Like 2

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment.  Wouldn't it be worth spending a little extra on new balls to avoid this sort of thing?  In my opinion it is.  That way you only need to worry about quality control at the factory.  I understand the desire to save money on golf balls by buying used/refurbished especially if you lose them really fast (we've all had THOSE rounds).  I've done bought refurbished ProV1s from Walmart a couple times.  I played a few rounds with them but just use them for short game practice now.  Stocking up during good sales like the buy 3 get one free sales that have become a mainstay still gets you a pretty good price all things considered.  Those are my thoughts.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:35 AM, jlukes said:

... I have bought golf balls on eBay but only new balls from reputable sources with plenty of feedback. That said, I would never buy used balls, especially on eBay. As always, if a deal seems too good to be true it almost assuredly is. 

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    YEGMillsy

• By Golfspy_CG2
      So today culminated my couple day visit to Carlsbad, and what a way to wrap it up.  I spent over 1/2 the day at TPI getting fit then meeting with some of the Titleist brand people.
      It was simply the best fitting experience I've ever had, and some of you know I've had some pretty darn good ones before.  But from the expanse of the facility, over 30 acres of hitting areas from a 400 yard hole with actual fairway bunkers and lining it to replicate the actual teeing off on a hole, to multiple putting greens, a couple short game areas, it was incredible to take in.  That's not even mentioning the full fledged fitness center inside where the performance evaluation is done. 
      I was met at the entry by Joey, who knew my name and welcomed me and showed me to the locker room, where a locker with my name awaited.  After dropping a few things off in the locker we made our way through the tour.   In addition to the above, i was able to watch a bit of some ball testing that was going  on...and guess what they were using a robot just like the MGS Study did.   I can't say much about that testing but it was pretty cool to see the high arching perfectly struck 5 irons going 200 yards down range right at the target.    Needless to say, I didn't see any more of those type  shots during the day. 
      After I got warmed up by hitting some shots with my clubs we began getting some trackman numbers.  I had my usual pedestrian numbers that were as follows
      IRONS
      My current Irons   G700 with Alta CB Sr Flx  1/2 over and 3 degrees up.
      SS 73.6 ball speed 94 mph for a 1.29 smash 😞  Spin was low at 4182 carry of 134 peak height of 68 and landing angle of 43.  As has been discussed in some threads here, we amateurs often say we hit the ball too high or at the very least, high enough.  Then when at times we will see numbers like that 68 feet and realize we aren't hitting it high enough.
      We started with the T300 and also tried the CNCPT 01.  There wasn't a huge number difference in the number between the two and my contact with the T300 was much more consistent as the CNCPT has an even wider sole than the T300 and that works against me. 
      The overall numbers for the T300 were
      SS 71.3 ball speed 95.1 for a smash factor of 1.33.  Spin was up to 5790 carry of 136 height was 72 and landing angle of 44.5.   So not a huge difference except for one area, the smash factor.    If you noticed my swing speed dropped but ball  speed went up a bit due to the better contact.  
      There was a reason for the decreased ball speed.   The specs of the T300 are standard length and standard lie.  The 1/2 over was causing too inconsistent of a strike and i hit some shots fat, leaving them 10 or more yards short.   With the stock length I was hitting it much more flush.   The 2 degrees upright was causing the heel to hit the turf first on some shots, causing the face to shut down and result in a smothered pull hook.   I had wondered where that shot came from on occasions..ha  Glen feels as I get more confident with the T300 I might regain that 1mph or so in club speed, he sensed I was trying to be too precise in my strike with the T300.   He was probably right.
      Going  with a stock lie, again allowed for much cleaner and more consistent contact. We even flirted with a 1/2 inch SHORT shaft and 1 degree Flat.  But the shaft felt a bit heavy--unbeknownst to me he had put a heavier shaft in to account for the shorter length, and there was a bit too much fade for both of our liking,  So I'm now stock/stock/stock...Yee haw, that make buying selling much easier...LOL
      DRIVER 
      Current Driver TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Sr. Flex.
      Most know I've loved this driver since getting it in June.   I'll save all the details, It's the right driver for me, but I did better with a 9.5 loft and changed the setting from A3 to  B3, which is a bit more closed.   My spin in the original setup was in the mid 4500's.  and too much fade.   The changes lowered the spin to 2700 and was a straight to very slight cut shot.   I picked up 8 yards of carry and 17 yards total.   Here's the part that blew me away.   Glen said to me, "You just bought a driver this summer, I don't want to  tell you to turn around and buy another new one.   If you will  leave this driver with me, I'll  find a home for it, and send you a new 9.5 out with the same shaft."   He looked to see if he had a new 9.5 on hand and he didn't only the fitting ones.    How awesome is that.
      Fairway Wood  & Hybrids
      Current Setup G410 3,7 and 9 and 5 hybrid.
      Again anyone who followed my posts or progress in the PING Long Game Testing, knows how much these have helped my game this year and how confident I am in them.
      Well to make this section short and sweet, after gathering numbers from my 7 and 9 woods, Glen had me hit a Titleist 7 wood just for  Sh$%^and Giggles, as I was getting 1.49 smash factor consistently with the 7w and my ball speed had stayed within 1.5 mph on each shot, the perfect consistency he said.   So after hitting a few good shots with the TS2 7W that had pretty much identical  numbers, he  told me the only reason for me to get that would be if I wanted a Titleist, but said my current set up was as good as I could  get.   How's that for honesty, no  trying  to  spin the numbers or tweak anything to show the Titliest is better.  He just commented that I am a very good  FW player and what currently have works for me. 
      WEDGES 
      Current SM7 54 and 58, and PING Glide 50
      This one was fun and interesting.  He had determined my  pitching wedge distance was probably right at 100 to 105 yards based on my iron data.   So we went to a different teeing area across the complex and set up on a tee box 100 yards from a flag on the front  part of a green.   I hit 3 very solid  shots with my set PW and  he was impressed.   He gave me the PW to the T300 and I hit two pin high within 5 to 10 feet and pulled the third one a bit.   He said enough there. ha
      Then we moved up about 15 yards to 85 and he gave me the GW and more of the same.  I was feeling  it with these wedges.   
      Then this part was interesting.  He gave me a ball told to walk up to a spot short of the green and drop the ball at a distance I  get a lot of.   I waked to  a shot I eyed balled that I have a lot and dropped the ball.   He asked what club I would hit with this shot, I said the 54 and he gave it to me, lasered it at 45 yards.  He asked how  I  would play it, I said probably fly it 3/4 of the way and let it hit stop and release the last few yards.  
      I hit the first two practically perfect but  then I hit 3 in a row fat...egads!!   He said, ok we can fix that. 
      Then he asked me other than bunker or flop shots over  a bunker what do  I use the 58 for.   I told him when I'm about 10 yards off the green and there is a front pin about 5 yards or so.   So I like to hit a little 15 or 20 yard hit and stop shot.   He  said, OK I want to  see that.  
      When I hit the first two exactly as I  described to  2 feet.  He turned  to Josh and Corey who were watching and said..."Looks whose teaching the short game clinic"   
      So the only change we made with the  wedges is he felt  my 54 with the M grind and 8 degrees bounce wasn''t  forgiving enough.   He said to quote Bob Vokey's favorite saying..."Bounce is our friend"   He said we need to go  F grind and 12 degrees bounce.   I hit that from the 40 yard shot and it felt much better and I didn't have  any fat shots. 
      So that concluded it.  And I was pretty spent after hitting shots for going on 3 hours.   But the time literally flew.  We chatted a bit, then Josh and Corey took me out to what they said was a well earned lunch
      Best Day Ever!
      Here's a bunch of random shots.   One thing that I failed at and anyone who has done a fitting can probably relate, and that was getting photos during the fitting. I got so  wrapped up in hitting the  shots then listening to  Glen dissect them, I just didn't think about it. 

Don't know who the other two are, but that's ok, they probably had no  idea who I was 🙂

One of the fairways getting some early morning acquaintance 
      An indoor hitting bay that hits out to the fairways, only used on the rare days the weather doesn't permit. 
      A recently over-seeded fairway,  they will  alternate fairways to keep them all pristine. 
      This is where they will do the 4D motion capture as part of the Performance Evaluation Fitting, 27 high speed cameras capture everything you do and the ball does 
      These are some members of the player testing panel.  Much like our Most Wanted Testing, local area guys who  have signed up to come in and test new and prototype equipment and balls to give them real world  feedback.   So when MGS tells the doubters that they use real golfers for club tests as do most of the OEM's they meant  what they say. 
      The nicest boardroom I've ever seen.  How  does anyone concentrate on the meeting in a room like this...ha
      The most pristine putting and practice bunker green I've ever  seen. 
      The area where my fitting will be done   
      My first target...easy eough 🙂
      This is taken from a balcony on top of the clubhouse area where they will  entertain or just generally hang out and realize it doesn't get much better than this. 

My new best friend...Josh Talge VP of Marketing for Clubs
      Glen Mahler...the man is a legend at Titleist

The obligatory Ocean View Selfie!!
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      So my two favorite golf destinations are Whistling Straits and Pinehurst.   I've been lucky enough to visit both multiple times.   I was doubly lucky that one of the trips to Pinehurst in 2016 was as part of the Team Titleist event, which I chronicled here, right after I joined the site.
      Well I'll complete the TeamTitleist DoubePlay....if you will,  this week.  On Wednesday I'll be headed to Kohler to spend three days and nights with some great TeamTitleist members that I have met over the years at the events, and several members of Titleist staff.   They are litteraly among the best people in the industry that I've met and put on a great event for the attendees. 

Highlights this year will include:
      Playing Blackwolf Run--Home of a couple of Women's US Opens Playing WS Straits course, site of the 202 Ryder Cup and has hosted the PGA Championship three times!  An afternoon demo/fitting session of the entire Titleist line, including the new T Series irons and TS FW's and Hybrids Titleist Ball Fitting and Demo A hands on instructional clinic from Cameron McCormick Based on previous events..A huge bag full of Titleist and Team Titleist swag And best of all three days of meals and great memories with other passionate golfers!  And probably unfortunately spending more money than I need to in the pro shop on 2020 Ryder Cup merchandise 🙄 I'll be filling this thread as much as I can with pictures throughout the three days starting tomorrow.  
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      Press Release from Titleist
      Tour-Proven Design Sets Tone for 2020 Jet Black Collection
        FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Aug. 13, 2019) – The introduction of the new Titleist Tour Bag – making its debut for the FedExCup Playoffs – signals a distinct and modern upgrade on the fairways of the PGA Tour and professional tours around the world.
          Styled and designed based on feedback from tour players and their caddies, in addition to input from PGA golf professionals, the new Tour Bag offers a glimpse into Titleist’s forthcoming 2020 Jet Black Collection that will feature products ranging from stand bags and cart bags to leather headcovers and umbrellas.
        Representing a perfect blend of performance elements and refined detail, the key features of the Jet Black Collection are inspired by the new Tour Bag and incorporated into the entire line – including velour top cuff materials, premium ball pocket panels and luxurious quilted hip pads – reimagined in the Titleist brand colors of black, red, and white.
        “I’m absolutely pumped for the new tour bag,” said Justin Thomas. “We’ve been asking for a fresh, new look and the designers came through big. I love the blacked-out design with the red zippers – and that white Titleist script just pops. You can tell they’ve taken our feedback and thought about every little detail. It’s really slick.”     Thomas is one of more than 150 players that have used a Titleist Tour Bag this year on the PGA Tour, with more Titleist Tour Bags in play each week than any other brand.

NEW TITLEIST TOUR BAG FEATURES
      • Hero product of the Jet Black Collection
      • Tour proven 3-point single shoulder strap
      • Durable materials and quilted highlights
      • Premium metal hardware
      • 5 Way top cuff with integrated handles
      • Magnetic, velour lined valuables pocket
      • New Interior organization in apparel pockets
        AVAILABILITY
      The Titleist Tour Bag ($550) is available in golf shops worldwide beginning Sept. 1, with the complete Jet Black Collection coming in early 2020.
        ON THE WEB
      https://www.titleist.com/golf-gear/golf-bags

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Is it fair to call them the No. 1 iron, driver, wedge in golf? 
      Some notes below from a press release on just how domimate Titleist is on tour this year. 

PGA:  It was a Titleist Brand Ambassador 1-2-3 finish at the regular season-ending Wyndham Championship, where Titleist Brand Ambassador J.T. Poston earned his first career PGA TOUR victory … Poston finished one shot clear of Webb Simpson and two better than Ben An … Viktor Hovland (Pro V1), finished solo 4th, another shot back … Closing with a career-best eight-under par 62 en route to a tournament record-tying 22-under 258 victory total, Poston became the first player since 1974 to win a 72-hole stroke-play event on tour without any bogeys or worse … Simpson fired a final round 65 to secure his runner-up finish for the second straight week, while An, who held or shared the lead after each of the first three rounds, closed with a 67.
      >Eleven of the 12 players who finished among the top 10 and ties trusted Titleist golf balls for their success, and so did every other player who finished in the top 35 … That’s 34 of the top 35 finishers teed up a Pro V1 or Pro V1x with so much on the line at the PGA TOUR’s regular season finale.
      > Poston’s win advances the 2018-19 PGA TOUR victory total for Titleist golf ball players to 23, nearly four times the nearest competitor (6) and more than all other golf balls combined … A total of 120 (77%) players teed up a Titleist at the Wyndham Championship, more than eight times the nearest competitor with 14. 
      > What’s in the Titleist Bags of the top three finishers at the Wyndham Championship:
      J.T. Poston: Pro V1x, TS3 (9.5) driver, TS2 (15) fairway metal, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 718 AP2 (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (46), gap (50), sand (55) and lob (60) wedges, Scotty Cameron GoLo putter.

Webb Simpson: Pro V1, TS3 (10.5) driver, TS2 (15) and 913Fd (18) fairway metals, 913Hd (20) and 915Hd (23.5) hybrids, New 620 MB (5-PW) irons, Vokey Design SM7 gap (54) and prototype lob (60) wedges.

Ben An: Pro V1x, TS3 (8.5) driver, U-500 2-iron, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 620 MB (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (48), gap (52), sand (56) and prototype (60) lob wedges, Scotty Cameron TNP putter.

> For the second time this season, the Titleist brand swept all eight major equipment categories on both the PGA TOUR and Korn Ferry Tour in the same week ... It is an achievement that had never been accomplished until Titleist made history by sweeping the Travelers Championship and Wichita Open in June ... The eight major tee-through-green equipment categories include golf balls, drivers, fairway metals, hybrids, utility irons, irons, wedges and putters ... The recently introduced T100 irons were the most played single model at the event with 15 sets in play, while the TS3 driver was the field favorite with 34.
      > At the Wyndham Championship, Titleist was the top choice across every category for the 11th time this year ... The other tournaments in which Titleist has topped every major equipment category include: 3M Open, Rocket Mortgage Classic, Travelers Championship, AT&T Byron Nelson, Wells Fargo Championship, Corales Puntacana Championship, Valspar Championship, Honda Classic, Farmers Insurance Open and Sony Open in Hawaii ... This marks the fourth time on the Korn Ferry Tour that Titleist has swept the counts.

• By GrtflRed
      I'm listing a MINT TS2 with a brand-new Accra TZ5, 75g M5 shaft, standard length. The  original driver was $499 and I added the shaft for $310. 
      I estimate the driver head has launched ~25 tee shots. I had some pro-shop money expire end of 2018, so I picked up the TS2 head. I got fit for the Accra shaft about a month ago and it's been collecting dust on the TS2 since. Decided to stick with my trust 915d2 from college. This thing is sick. Please feel free to shoot me any questions. 
      $525 - Looking to sell full set-up. 

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!