TESTERS WANTED! ×

KBS $-Taper

Looking at replacing my KBS C-Taper Lite with the $- Taper Lite, for my Cobra Utility 3 iron.

Currently can only really hit the 3 iron off the tee with any confidence. Had a go with a graphite shaft  but lost distance that made it not worth having the club in the bag. 

Thought would be going for the lighter shaft would improve striking off the tee, and improving consistency overall, and that the steel shaft is more likely to keep the distance.

Anyone thinking this would be the case?

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

Looking at replacing my KBS C-Taper Lite with the $- Taper Lite, for my Cobra Utility 3 iron.
Currently can only really hit the 3 iron off the tee with any confidence. Had a go with a graphite shaft  but lost distance that made it not worth having the club in the bag. 
Thought would be going for the lighter shaft would improve striking off the tee, and improving consistency overall, and that the steel shaft is more likely to keep the distance.

Maybe I’ve read this wrong, but, C-Taper Lite IS a steel shaft...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

3 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

I’m with pmookie in possibly reading this wrong because c taper lite is a steel shaft, so I’ll ask what graphite shaft did/do you have in the club?

As far as c taper lite vs $ taper lite you will be swapping different type of shafts. Iirc c taper lite has a variable wall thickness design where s taper lite doesn’t. They will be similar in the mid/high launch but spin characteristics are different.  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Okay, so to clarify then since I must have been unclear... 

• I had steel shafts for all my irons, including the 3i.
  • I was curious that the shafts I've set up for generally get heavier from Driver to LW, ie 60g to 70g, jumped to 105g for the C-Taper, then down to 95g for Tour 90s, 105g, then 115g.
  • I want to improve the consistency of the 3i in particular. Distance wise, it fits in gapping perfectly, and it's my go to club off the tee at my home course. 4 out of 5 times it's my most accurate and workable club, but that fifth is that kangaroo loose in the top paddock.
  • I was wondering if a lighter shaft would address the inconsistency, as I don't flunk my 4W the same way, so I'm not thinking it's a length issue.
  • I tried a Aldila Rogue Black 85g (Which fits in the low to high curve). Huge loss of distance. Also the Aldila Synergy.
  • Because I'm a brand b*txt, I was looking at the $- Taper Lite at 95g which while not lighter, fits in that light to heavy idea.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

If you're looking for a higher launch and more spin.  Then yes the S -Taper Lt will do that compared to C-Taoer Lt. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, Green Sheep Productions said:

Okay, so to clarify then since I must have been unclear... 

• I had steel shafts for all my irons, including the 3i.
  • I was curious that the shafts I've set up for generally get heavier from Driver to LW, ie 60g to 70g, jumped to 105g for the C-Taper, then down to 95g for Tour 90s, 105g, then 115g.
  • I want to improve the consistency of the 3i in particular. Distance wise, it fits in gapping perfectly, and it's my go to club off the tee at my home course. 4 out of 5 times it's my most accurate and workable club, but that fifth is that kangaroo loose in the top paddock.
  • I was wondering if a lighter shaft would address the inconsistency, as I don't flunk my 4W the same way, so I'm not thinking it's a length issue.
  • I tried a Aldila Rogue Black 85g (Which fits in the low to high curve). Huge loss of distance. Also the Aldila Synergy.
  • Because I'm a brand b*txt, I was looking at the $- Taper Lite at 95g which while not lighter, fits in that light to heavy idea.

The rogue black 85 is a hybrid shaft. Probably not a good fit for an regular iron. Could be a good fit for a utility iron.

if you are hitting well 4/5 times the 5th is probably more swing related than needing a different shaft.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1