Jump to content

Another rules violation


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I thought this was a pretty well known rule. While we admire a pros playing ability, they sometime fall short with the knowledge of the rules.

 

https://golfweek.com/2019/11/03/golf-two-players-penalized-lpga-q-series-violating-advice-rule/

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This blew my mind when I saw it. I thought that was a basic understanding. 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I had no idea this was a rule.  So if I'm playing with my buddies and they ask what I hit they get a 2 stroke penalty or both of us if i tell them.

  • Like 1

Wedgie

 

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

 I had no idea this was a rule.  So if I'm playing with my buddies and they ask what I hit they get a 2 stroke penalty or both of us if i tell them.

a. Advice

During a round, a player must not:

  • Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,

  • Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or

  • Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).

  • Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, THEZIPR23 said:

a. Advice

During a round, a player must not:

  • Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,

  • Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or

  • Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).

So if I laser the pin on a par 3 and someone asks what I get that is a 2 stroke penalty.  If I answer I get 2 strokes as well.  Good to know if I want to be that guy in my Sunday group.  Here's a question:  if I laser the pin and say it is 156 yards to the group who are sitting in their carts 40 feet away can I get a 2 stroke penalty even if they don't ask for it?

Wedgie

 

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wedgie said:

So if I laser the pin on a par 3 and someone asks what I get that is a 2 stroke penalty.  If I answer I get 2 strokes as well.  Good to know if I want to be that guy in my Sunday group.  Here's a question:  if I laser the pin and say it is 156 yards to the group who are sitting in their carts 40 feet away can I get a 2 stroke penalty?

Yardage and penalty areas are considered general knowledge so it is permissible to give and ask for this. 

  • Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

 

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

 I had no idea this was a rule.  So if I'm playing with my buddies and they ask what I hit they get a 2 stroke penalty or both of us if i tell them.

That's correct, on both questions.  And as someone else answered, yardage isn't advice, its common knowledge.  Now if you were to tell them what the wind was doing, or that it plays longer because its uphill, that becomes advice.

  • Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

a. Advice

During a round, a player must not:

  • Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,

  • Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or

  • Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).

I too had no idea this is a rule - don't even want to start counting the strokes over my lifetime 😁.  This... but it's OK to quick step behind your competitions putt to glean some info.  Another one for the "golfs humorous rules" thread.  

 

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I too had no idea this is a rule - don't even want to start counting the strokes over my lifetime 😁.  This... but it's OK to quick step behind your competitions putt to glean some info.  Another one for the "golfs humorous rules" thread.  

 

I always thought that stepping behind someone putting was more of a golf etiquette thing rather than a rules infringement. Am I wrong on that? 

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I always thought that stepping behind someone putting was more of a golf etiquette thing rather than a rules infringement. Am I wrong on that? 

Well, standing or worse moving behind someone putting is in bad form.  What I'm referring to is players quickly walking up after the putt is made and still rolling in order to see roll-out.  Certainly getting "advice" albeit non verbal. 😄

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, standing or worse moving behind someone putting is in bad form.  What I'm referring to is players quickly walking up after the putt is made and still rolling in order to see roll-out.  Certainly getting "advice" albeit non verbal. 😄

That’s not getting advice. That’s no different than watching a ball in the air. Advice would be asking if they pushed/pulled the putt or if they hit it the right speed/line

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s not getting advice. That’s no different than watching a ball in the air. Advice would be asking if they pushed/pulled the putt or if they hit it the right speed/line

Splitting hairs IMHO, but yea, technically I get where you're coming from.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I always thought that stepping behind someone putting was more of a golf etiquette thing rather than a rules infringement. Am I wrong on that? 

I agree its a etiquette thing, although walking in after the putt is struck doesn't strike me as a real issue.  But to have your caddie or partner stand there while you set up or play the putt is against the rule, as a form of advice that's not permitted.

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post
Share on other sites

a. Advice

During a round, a player must not:

  • Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,

  • Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or

  • Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).



All kinds of subtle things with these rules. While you can’t touch the players bag or clubs, you are free to look into the bag to see what clubs arent there.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cnosil said:

All kinds of subtle things with these rules. While you can’t touch the players bag or clubs, you are free to look into the bag to see what clubs arent there.

 

That was the (semi)excuse that Dey gave in her tweet.  "I could have walked over and looked at her bag....".  Next time, take the three steps and look, don't ask.

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post
Share on other sites
That was the (semi)excuse that Dey gave in her tweet.  "I could have walked over and looked at her bag....".  Next time, take the three steps and look, don't ask.


Exactly

And the saddest thing about all of this IMO is the grief that Kim is taking over it. As if she had a choice once she saw a rules violation.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, revkev said:

 


Exactly

And the saddest thing about all of this IMO is the grief that Kim is taking over it. As if she had a choice once she saw a rules violation.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

I think she brought that on by how she handled the situation with her tweet. I don’t agree with the grief she is getting but there may have been a better way to handle it all

  • Like 3

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think she brought that on by how she handled the situation with her tweet. I don’t agree with the grief she is getting but there may have been a better way to handle it all

I don't think the tweet was really a poor choice either.  Two young women didn't make the cut, really won't be able to make a living playing professional golf.  I know, they could play the Symetra, but that doesn't pay enough to really make a living. Dye was close, needing an ace on the final hole to make the cut even after the penalty.  Without the two strokes, she needed only a par, so those two strokes may mean the difference between making a living at golf, or working at McDonalds for her.  For Kim to urge players to learn the rules is really good advice.  If Dye had known the rules, she actually might be on the big circuit next year.

Would it have been better to remain completely silent about it?  Its basically a qualifier, its quite possible nobody would ever have heard about it, which means nobody would ever learn anything from it.  I think the response from Dye was the one out of line, calling Kim unprofessional for tweeting what is really very solid advice.

 

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't think the tweet was really a poor choice either.  Two young women didn't make the cut, really won't be able to make a living playing professional golf.  I know, they could play the Symetra, but that doesn't pay enough to really make a living. Dye was close, needing an ace on the final hole to make the cut even after the penalty.  Without the two strokes, she needed only a par, so those two strokes may mean the difference between making a living at golf, or working at McDonalds for her.  For Kim to urge players to learn the rules is really good advice.  If Dye had known the rules, she actually might be on the big circuit next year.

Would it have been better to remain completely silent about it?  Its basically a qualifier, its quite possible nobody would ever have heard about it, which means nobody would ever learn anything from it.  I think the response from Dye was the one out of line, calling Kim unprofessional for tweeting what is really very solid advice.

 

She didn’t have to tweet out that she called a penalty on two competitors. She did her job informed everyone and rules committee. Done at that point. She stoked the fire tweeting about it. I like Christina and have no problems with her calling the penalty and it sux for the two ladies who missed out on getting a card but as Kim states in the tweet you gotta know the rules so ignorance isn’t bliss and it’s unfortunate they suffered a monetary setback. 
 

while the Symmetra tour isn’t financially a great place for aspiring golfers the two aren’t being forced to play, that’s a choice they make in chasing the dream. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

She didn’t have to tweet out that she called a penalty on two competitors. She did her job informed everyone and rules committee. Done at that point. She stoked the fire tweeting about it. I like Christina and have no problems with her calling the penalty and it sux for the two ladies who missed out on getting a card but as Kim states in the tweet you gotta know the rules so ignorance isn’t bliss and it’s unfortunate they suffered a monetary setback. 

She didn't tweet anything about any individual.  

That's it, please read and know the rules.  I'm just now paging through the follow-up tweets, and she really avoids talking about any individual player or specific issue.  

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...