TESTERS WANTED! ×

Another rules violation

cnosil

I thought this was a pretty well known rule. While we admire a pros playing ability, they sometime fall short with the knowledge of the rules.

https://golfweek.com/2019/11/03/golf-two-players-penalized-lpga-q-series-violating-advice-rule/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This blew my mind when I saw it. I thought that was a basic understanding. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I had no idea this was a rule.  So if I'm playing with my buddies and they ask what I hit they get a 2 stroke penalty or both of us if i tell them.

a. Advice

During a round, a player must not:

• Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,

• Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or

• Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

Just now, THEZIPR23 said:

a. Advice

• Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).

So if I laser the pin on a par 3 and someone asks what I get that is a 2 stroke penalty.  If I answer I get 2 strokes as well.  Good to know if I want to be that guy in my Sunday group.  Here's a question:  if I laser the pin and say it is 156 yards to the group who are sitting in their carts 40 feet away can I get a 2 stroke penalty even if they don't ask for it?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 minute ago, Wedgie said:

So if I laser the pin on a par 3 and someone asks what I get that is a 2 stroke penalty.  If I answer I get 2 strokes as well.  Good to know if I want to be that guy in my Sunday group.  Here's a question:  if I laser the pin and say it is 156 yards to the group who are sitting in their carts 40 feet away can I get a 2 stroke penalty?

Yardage and penalty areas are considered general knowledge so it is permissible to give and ask for this. 

1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

I had no idea this was a rule.  So if I'm playing with my buddies and they ask what I hit they get a 2 stroke penalty or both of us if i tell them.

That's correct, on both questions.  And as someone else answered, yardage isn't advice, its common knowledge.  Now if you were to tell them what the wind was doing, or that it plays longer because its uphill, that becomes advice.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

18 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

a. Advice

I too had no idea this is a rule - don't even want to start counting the strokes over my lifetime 😁.  This... but it's OK to quick step behind your competitions putt to glean some info.  Another one for the "golfs humorous rules" thread.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I too had no idea this is a rule - don't even want to start counting the strokes over my lifetime 😁.  This... but it's OK to quick step behind your competitions putt to glean some info.  Another one for the "golfs humorous rules" thread.  

I always thought that stepping behind someone putting was more of a golf etiquette thing rather than a rules infringement. Am I wrong on that? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I always thought that stepping behind someone putting was more of a golf etiquette thing rather than a rules infringement. Am I wrong on that? 

Well, standing or worse moving behind someone putting is in bad form.  What I'm referring to is players quickly walking up after the putt is made and still rolling in order to see roll-out.  Certainly getting "advice" albeit non verbal. 😄

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, standing or worse moving behind someone putting is in bad form.  What I'm referring to is players quickly walking up after the putt is made and still rolling in order to see roll-out.  Certainly getting "advice" albeit non verbal. 😄

That’s not getting advice. That’s no different than watching a ball in the air. Advice would be asking if they pushed/pulled the putt or if they hit it the right speed/line

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s not getting advice. That’s no different than watching a ball in the air. Advice would be asking if they pushed/pulled the putt or if they hit it the right speed/line

Splitting hairs IMHO, but yea, technically I get where you're coming from.

40 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I agree its a etiquette thing, although walking in after the putt is struck doesn't strike me as a real issue.  But to have your caddie or partner stand there while you set up or play the putt is against the rule, as a form of advice that's not permitted.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

a. Advice

All kinds of subtle things with these rules. While you can’t touch the players bag or clubs, you are free to look into the bag to see what clubs arent there.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

All kinds of subtle things with these rules. While you can’t touch the players bag or clubs, you are free to look into the bag to see what clubs arent there.

That was the (semi)excuse that Dey gave in her tweet.  "I could have walked over and looked at her bag....".  Next time, take the three steps and look, don't ask.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

That was the (semi)excuse that Dey gave in her tweet.  "I could have walked over and looked at her bag....".  Next time, take the three steps and look, don't ask.

Exactly

And the saddest thing about all of this IMO is the grief that Kim is taking over it. As if she had a choice once she saw a rules violation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Exactly

And the saddest thing about all of this IMO is the grief that Kim is taking over it. As if she had a choice once she saw a rules violation.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think she brought that on by how she handled the situation with her tweet. I don’t agree with the grief she is getting but there may have been a better way to handle it all

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

53 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think she brought that on by how she handled the situation with her tweet. I don’t agree with the grief she is getting but there may have been a better way to handle it all

I don't think the tweet was really a poor choice either.  Two young women didn't make the cut, really won't be able to make a living playing professional golf.  I know, they could play the Symetra, but that doesn't pay enough to really make a living. Dye was close, needing an ace on the final hole to make the cut even after the penalty.  Without the two strokes, she needed only a par, so those two strokes may mean the difference between making a living at golf, or working at McDonalds for her.  For Kim to urge players to learn the rules is really good advice.  If Dye had known the rules, she actually might be on the big circuit next year.

Would it have been better to remain completely silent about it?  Its basically a qualifier, its quite possible nobody would ever have heard about it, which means nobody would ever learn anything from it.  I think the response from Dye was the one out of line, calling Kim unprofessional for tweeting what is really very solid advice.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

59 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't think the tweet was really a poor choice either.  Two young women didn't make the cut, really won't be able to make a living playing professional golf.  I know, they could play the Symetra, but that doesn't pay enough to really make a living. Dye was close, needing an ace on the final hole to make the cut even after the penalty.  Without the two strokes, she needed only a par, so those two strokes may mean the difference between making a living at golf, or working at McDonalds for her.  For Kim to urge players to learn the rules is really good advice.  If Dye had known the rules, she actually might be on the big circuit next year.

Would it have been better to remain completely silent about it?  Its basically a qualifier, its quite possible nobody would ever have heard about it, which means nobody would ever learn anything from it.  I think the response from Dye was the one out of line, calling Kim unprofessional for tweeting what is really very solid advice.

She didn’t have to tweet out that she called a penalty on two competitors. She did her job informed everyone and rules committee. Done at that point. She stoked the fire tweeting about it. I like Christina and have no problems with her calling the penalty and it sux for the two ladies who missed out on getting a card but as Kim states in the tweet you gotta know the rules so ignorance isn’t bliss and it’s unfortunate they suffered a monetary setback. 

while the Symmetra tour isn’t financially a great place for aspiring golfers the two aren’t being forced to play, that’s a choice they make in chasing the dream. 

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

She didn’t have to tweet out that she called a penalty on two competitors. She did her job informed everyone and rules committee. Done at that point. She stoked the fire tweeting about it. I like Christina and have no problems with her calling the penalty and it sux for the two ladies who missed out on getting a card but as Kim states in the tweet you gotta know the rules so ignorance isn’t bliss and it’s unfortunate they suffered a monetary setback. 

She didn't tweet anything about any individual.  

That's it, please read and know the rules.  I'm just now paging through the follow-up tweets, and she really avoids talking about any individual player or specific issue.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

She didn't tweet anything about any individual.  

That's it, please read and know the rules.  I'm just now paging through the follow-up tweets, and she really avoids talking about any individual player or specific issue.  

Didn’t say she did but. I’m saying it wasn’t necessary for her to tweet at all.

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Didn’t say she did but. I’m saying it wasn’t necessary for her to tweet at all.

Ah, my misunderstanding of what you meant, but I don't have a problem with her tweet.  I don't know about you, but I've had to require a friend to take this very same penalty.  He walked off the tee on a par 3, and said "Let me give you a bit of advice....the wind is a lot stronger than it feels like here".  This during a stroke play tournament.  I had no choice but to say "Joe (not his real name), you should know that's a penalty for giving advice, sorry but its two strokes". If he had known the rule, he wouldn't have taken the penalty.  I felt like crap for enforcing the rule, but it was the right thing to do.  But I FELT LIKE CRAP, even though I had done exactly the right thing.  I don't like feeling that way, I'm sure Ms. Kim didn't enjoy it either.  If her PSA tweet avoids the situation for someone in the future, she did exactly the right thing by tweeting it out.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia