Jump to content
Quigleyd

Callaway Super Hybrid

Recommended Posts

I was able to hit the new super hybrid and I am completely impressed. I know that manufacturers like to make claims. We have all heard them 15 yards more this, and straighter that. But callaway's claims that this can replace fairway woods is true. I was able with the 17 degree hybrid set minus one to 16 to get ball speeds up to 168 MPH. Thats with a smaller head, and shorter shaft. It is also the least hook biased hybrid I have tried. 

It has great feel, and the ball comes off hot. I think from the fairway it would be much easier to hit than most fairway woods and you really are not giving anything up but gaining control. The $320 dollar price tag is pretty steep, but I think many will be able to find a way to justify it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I was able to hit the new super hybrid and I am completely impressed. I know that manufacturers like to make claims. We have all heard them 15 yards more this, and straighter that. But callaway's claims that this can replace fairway woods is true. I was able with the 17 degree hybrid set minus one to 16 to get ball speeds up to 168 MPH. Thats with a smaller head, and shorter shaft. It is also the least hook biased hybrid I have tried. 

It has great feel, and the ball comes off hot. I think from the fairway it would be much easier to hit than most fairway woods and you really are not giving anything up but gaining control. The $320 dollar price tag is pretty steep, but I think many will be able to find a way to justify it. 

What is your average Driver swing speed? 168 has you around 110+ mph with a hybrid. Seems high, but good on you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BMart519 said:

What is your average Driver swing speed? 168 has you around 110+ mph with a hybrid. Seems high, but good on you. 

I am around 122-123 driver swing speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm likely asking a silly question, but in looking at this club in comparison to my G400 3w (or most other modern fairway woods), what is the significant difference?  I'm in the market for a club that will fit between my G410 4i and my the G400 3w.  Several have suggested testing hybrids in addition to the crossover irons.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/hybrids-2020-super.html?msclkid=690b60f638f11089f54d3d37ba874e6b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SN - Hybrids&utm_term=callaway super hybrid&utm_content=Hybrids - Current - Super Hybrid - Exact

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you need to evaluate your game to determine the proper club for the bag to fit between the 4i and 3w. Meaning a lot of golfers that tend to hit the fairways well struggle with hybrids, at least most of them. where the opposite can also be true. A golfer that stripes a hybrid could most certainly fail with a fairway wood, I am in that category.

If you a FW golfer then try a 7w if not then give the 3 or 4 hybrid a try. Again in most cases the hybrids with the same number on it as the iron tend to go further than the iron by design.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 7:40 PM, McGolf said:

you need to evaluate your game to determine the proper club for the bag to fit between the 4i and 3w. Meaning a lot of golfers that tend to hit the fairways well struggle with hybrids, at least most of them. where the opposite can also be true. A golfer that stripes a hybrid could most certainly fail with a fairway wood, I am in that category.

If you a FW golfer then try a 7w if not then give the 3 or 4 hybrid a try. Again in most cases the hybrids with the same number on it as the iron tend to go further than the iron by design.

I agree, it all depends on how you want to play and what you need out of a club. I think these super hybrids could fit that gap decently. I also think that G410 7 wood is pretty awesome. I have considered putting one of those in my bag. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I'm likely asking a silly question, but in looking at this club in comparison to my G400 3w (or most other modern fairway woods), what is the significant difference?  I'm in the market for a club that will fit between my G410 4i and my the G400 3w.  Several have suggested testing hybrids in addition to the crossover irons.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/hybrids-2020-super.html?msclkid=690b60f638f11089f54d3d37ba874e6b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SN - Hybrids&utm_term=callaway super hybrid&utm_content=Hybrids - Current - Super Hybrid - Exact

It’s a similar concept to a mini driver. The head size is between a fw and hybrib. They are using materials that are lightweight and fast to produce higher ball speeds and launch characteristics to achieve distance. They have added 1/2” in length in the 17* version to help aid in distance from what I have seen in other hybrids. 
 

like any club finding the distance gap you need and the club type, loft and length you need to get that gap. I’ve been fit to a ping 5w with 3w length shaft to fit a need and then the next release a hybrid of less loft fit the bill.

Some like fw better than hybrids because of the added size/forgiveness and launch. Others like lower lofted hybrids for use from multiple lies 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s a similar concept to a mini driver. The head size is between a fw and hybrib. They are using materials that are lightweight and fast to produce higher ball speeds and launch characteristics to achieve distance. They have added 1/2” in length in the 17* version to help aid in distance from what I have seen in other hybrids. 
 

like any club finding the distance gap you need and the club type, loft and length you need to get that gap. I’ve been fit to a ping 5w with 3w length shaft to fit a need and then the next release a hybrid of less loft fit the bill.

Some like fw better than hybrids because of the added size/forgiveness and launch. Others like lower lofted hybrids for use from multiple lies 

I've not spent any time testing hybrids, crossovers, or high loft woods. @PING Apologist #9let me hit his G400 5w a couple of times at our NW Meetup and it felt pretty good. It will be interesting to see what works the best.  One of the courses in Yuma has a rough area to the sides of the driving range and I'll want to test any from the short list on that too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit one of these last night and the distance was impressive but not any longer than my Rogue SZ five wood and the head size was about the same. I can see where these fit for certain players but not anything I would consider adding to my bag.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...