TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway Super Hybrid

Quigleyd

I was able to hit the new super hybrid and I am completely impressed. I know that manufacturers like to make claims. We have all heard them 15 yards more this, and straighter that. But callaway's claims that this can replace fairway woods is true. I was able with the 17 degree hybrid set minus one to 16 to get ball speeds up to 168 MPH. Thats with a smaller head, and shorter shaft. It is also the least hook biased hybrid I have tried. 

It has great feel, and the ball comes off hot. I think from the fairway it would be much easier to hit than most fairway woods and you really are not giving anything up but gaining control. The $320 dollar price tag is pretty steep, but I think many will be able to find a way to justify it. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

7 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

I was able to hit the new super hybrid and I am completely impressed. I know that manufacturers like to make claims. We have all heard them 15 yards more this, and straighter that. But callaway's claims that this can replace fairway woods is true. I was able with the 17 degree hybrid set minus one to 16 to get ball speeds up to 168 MPH. Thats with a smaller head, and shorter shaft. It is also the least hook biased hybrid I have tried. 

It has great feel, and the ball comes off hot. I think from the fairway it would be much easier to hit than most fairway woods and you really are not giving anything up but gaining control. The $320 dollar price tag is pretty steep, but I think many will be able to find a way to justify it. 

What is your average Driver swing speed? 168 has you around 110+ mph with a hybrid. Seems high, but good on you. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

9 hours ago, BMart519 said:

What is your average Driver swing speed? 168 has you around 110+ mph with a hybrid. Seems high, but good on you. 

I am around 122-123 driver swing speed. 

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I'm likely asking a silly question, but in looking at this club in comparison to my G400 3w (or most other modern fairway woods), what is the significant difference?  I'm in the market for a club that will fit between my G410 4i and my the G400 3w.  Several have suggested testing hybrids in addition to the crossover irons.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/hybrids-2020-super.html?msclkid=690b60f638f11089f54d3d37ba874e6b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SN - Hybrids&utm_term=callaway super hybrid&utm_content=Hybrids - Current - Super Hybrid - Exact

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

you need to evaluate your game to determine the proper club for the bag to fit between the 4i and 3w. Meaning a lot of golfers that tend to hit the fairways well struggle with hybrids, at least most of them. where the opposite can also be true. A golfer that stripes a hybrid could most certainly fail with a fairway wood, I am in that category.

If you a FW golfer then try a 7w if not then give the 3 or 4 hybrid a try. Again in most cases the hybrids with the same number on it as the iron tend to go further than the iron by design.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:40 PM, McGolf said:

you need to evaluate your game to determine the proper club for the bag to fit between the 4i and 3w. Meaning a lot of golfers that tend to hit the fairways well struggle with hybrids, at least most of them. where the opposite can also be true. A golfer that stripes a hybrid could most certainly fail with a fairway wood, I am in that category.

If you a FW golfer then try a 7w if not then give the 3 or 4 hybrid a try. Again in most cases the hybrids with the same number on it as the iron tend to go further than the iron by design.

I agree, it all depends on how you want to play and what you need out of a club. I think these super hybrids could fit that gap decently. I also think that G410 7 wood is pretty awesome. I have considered putting one of those in my bag. 

On 11/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I'm likely asking a silly question, but in looking at this club in comparison to my G400 3w (or most other modern fairway woods), what is the significant difference?  I'm in the market for a club that will fit between my G410 4i and my the G400 3w.  Several have suggested testing hybrids in addition to the crossover irons.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/hybrids-2020-super.html?msclkid=690b60f638f11089f54d3d37ba874e6b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SN - Hybrids&utm_term=callaway super hybrid&utm_content=Hybrids - Current - Super Hybrid - Exact

It’s a similar concept to a mini driver. The head size is between a fw and hybrib. They are using materials that are lightweight and fast to produce higher ball speeds and launch characteristics to achieve distance. They have added 1/2” in length in the 17* version to help aid in distance from what I have seen in other hybrids. 

like any club finding the distance gap you need and the club type, loft and length you need to get that gap. I’ve been fit to a ping 5w with 3w length shaft to fit a need and then the next release a hybrid of less loft fit the bill.

Some like fw better than hybrids because of the added size/forgiveness and launch. Others like lower lofted hybrids for use from multiple lies 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s a similar concept to a mini driver. The head size is between a fw and hybrib. They are using materials that are lightweight and fast to produce higher ball speeds and launch characteristics to achieve distance. They have added 1/2” in length in the 17* version to help aid in distance from what I have seen in other hybrids. 

like any club finding the distance gap you need and the club type, loft and length you need to get that gap. I’ve been fit to a ping 5w with 3w length shaft to fit a need and then the next release a hybrid of less loft fit the bill.

Some like fw better than hybrids because of the added size/forgiveness and launch. Others like lower lofted hybrids for use from multiple lies 

I've not spent any time testing hybrids, crossovers, or high loft woods. @PING Apologist #9let me hit his G400 5w a couple of times at our NW Meetup and it felt pretty good. It will be interesting to see what works the best.  One of the courses in Yuma has a rough area to the sides of the driving range and I'll want to test any from the short list on that too. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Hit one of these last night and the distance was impressive but not any longer than my Rogue SZ five wood and the head size was about the same. I can see where these fit for certain players but not anything I would consider adding to my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

• 1 month later...

Agree with Mike above, it is basically the size of a FW head after seeing a demo in person next to an EPIC flash. I did not study the bulge and roll, but assume it would be a bit flatter and more draw biased. As big or larger than my 15* adams super xtd 1 hybrid which I also consider more of a FW than hybrid. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0