Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Wilson Driving Irons

Shankster

The stock shaft is too light. That is my only complaint. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

They have been teasing this for a few weeks. Well, ok more like months with G. Woodland using one. I really hope they bring the 15° to retail. Website is only showing: 18°, 20°, 24°

Beautiful.

IMG_6639.thumb.JPG.f6c98d6997e72ccfa96c311d67693dfc.JPG

15 is not coming to retail. Woodland struggled to get the ball up with it, so they decided against it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

The stock shaft is too light. That is my only complaint. 

They offer evenflow black and blue and hzrdus black 85 as well.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I’m a sucker for 2 irons... gonna need to hit it but as far as looks go its pretty nice.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I’m a sucker for 2 irons... gonna need to hit it but as far as looks go its pretty nice.

Sí, you need one. The best part is, the offset is extremely minimal. The 2 iron is roughly the same as the Blueprint 2 iron... I really hope they bring the 1 iron (15°) to retail. I could go Driver, 1-PW... just like old times. Only more forgiving.

I really like the design trend Wilson is taking with their staff model clubs!  Shame no love for the lefty’s with these hollow bodies.   But, the D7s are lofted at 19,22,25 in the 4-6 irons so they are only a degree weaker than the Staff Model driving irons—so there is a very stretched take for consolation. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 2 weeks later...

looking at this. I feel Wilson kinda missed their mark again with the price. $229 is about $30 to high.

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

looking at this. I feel Wilson kinda missed their mark again with the price. $229 is about $30 to high.

Wilson is in a tough spot. They have the Walmart box set perception to overcome and tend to price somethings high in an effort to shake that image but at the same time when they are priced similar to other brands with more favorable perceptions they get lost in the shuffle.  If they price where they are slightly under the big names and around the price of cobra or Cleveland it doesn’t help with the brand perception.

They make great irons and some like their woods but they haven’t been able to standout as head and shoulders better than other brands. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Wilson is in a tough spot. They have the Walmart box set perception to overcome and tend to price somethings high in an effort to shake that image but at the same time when they are priced similar to other brands with more favorable perceptions they get lost in the shuffle.  If they price where they are slightly under the big names and around the price of cobra or Cleveland it doesn’t help with the brand perception.

They make great irons and some like their woods but they haven’t been able to standout as head and shoulders better than other brands. 

completely agree. The cortex is a prime example. It was a decent driver. Not amazing but decent. We got eight in our store and at the $499 price we sold one. The rest are currently in a 50% off bag waiting to be picked up. 

Edited by Quigleyd

... I played the original Staff FG Tour and found it as good as any and better than some. Nice combination of performance and forgiveness. I absolutely loved the Kuro Kage Black 90hy shaft that was stock in the original and have used it in all my other DI's. Wilson did have a problem with a few faces caving in and they have obviously addressed and fixed that with this new release. I would certainly add this to the must demo list if you are in the market for a DI. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

completely agree. The cortex is a prime example. It was a decent driver. Not amazing but decent. We got eight in our store and at the $499 price we sold one. The rest are currently in a 50% off bag waiting to be picked up. 

Yeah that driver release was interesting. Some places were reporting they were selling out and the reaction was to the driver was impressive and they hadn’t seen sales like that while many other places are like your where they may have sold 1-2.  

In a way I feel bad for brands like Wilson (wish they would have kept the Wilson Staff name and not just the logo), Cobra, Cleveland and to an extent Mizuno (with their words and wedges). These brands are putting out some really good stuff at a perfect price point but they just can’t get enough traction to jump up in market share. There’s definitely been releases from Cobra that were better than the big guys but they just never took off like I think they should have. 

Cleveland has the rep for being a wedge brand, cobra still battles the cheap perception from their days under titleist and Mizuno like Wilson has the “they make great irons” moniker.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah that driver release was interesting. Some places were reporting they were selling out and the reaction was to the driver was impressive and they hadn’t seen sales like that while many other places are like your where they may have sold 1-2.  

In a way I feel bad for brands like Wilson (wish they would have kept the Wilson Staff name and not just the logo), Cobra, Cleveland and to an extent Mizuno (with their words and wedges). These brands are putting out some really good stuff at a perfect price point but they just can’t get enough traction to jump up in market share. There’s definitely been releases from Cobra that were better than the big guys but they just never took off like I think they should have. 

Cleveland has the rep for being a wedge brand, cobra still battles the cheap perception from their days under titleist and Mizuno like Wilson has the “they make great irons” moniker.

Clevelands problem was being bought by Srixon and the decision to make Srixon the quality stuff. Cleveland had a great rep in the US. Srixon makes good stuff but is an asian brand. tough to sell when you do not have your stuff in stores. 

Mizuno and cobra I think are about to break out and become very good brands throughout the bag. 

25 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Clevelands problem was being bought by Srixon and the decision to make Srixon the quality stuff. Cleveland had a great rep in the US. Srixon makes good stuff but is an asian brand. tough to sell when you do not have your stuff in stores. 

Mizuno and cobra I think are about to break out and become very good brands throughout the bag. 

The Srixon stuff has been a good offering and has slowly grown since the x45 release. Initially no one knew what the brand was and didn’t realize it’s one of the top brands overseas. XXIO is technically the premium brand.  It does make it harder when not having in stores. Those who hit it love it. The recently Cleveland release was interesting and using Jamie Sadlowski as the face of that brand. 

Adam said it yesterday when raffling the V6, Wilson is really moving the ticker.

I like their offerings and this is a good look on them.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

18 hours ago, bens197 said:

Adam said it yesterday when raffling the V6, Wilson is really moving the ticker.

I like their offerings and this is a good look on them.

I want Wilson to survive and be successful mainly for one reason. They are the last of the old dogs. Macgregor gone, Hogan, yes revamped but not the same. Wilson needs to stick around. 

3 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I want Wilson to survive and be successful mainly for one reason. They are the last of the old dogs. Macgregor gone, Hogan, yes revamped but not the same. Wilson needs to stick around. 

... Amen! It is probably difficult for young golfers that grow up in the disastrous Wilson foray into discount equipment era, just how much of a player Wilson was in their prime. I was on staff with Wilson and Bob Mandrella bent a set of irons 2* up for me. He had a plywood board with some black markings on it but no numbers. He took each iron and put it in a vice and then whacked the he!! out of it with a splayed copper headed mallet, then put it back against the board. In a lw - 2 iron set he had to re-whack only 2 of the irons. An amazing craftsman that worked on quite a few Hall Of Famer golfers clubs. I too would love to se Wilson return to at least a viable player in todays market.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

11 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Amen! It is probably difficult for young golfers that grow up in the disastrous Wilson foray into discount equipment era, just how much of a player Wilson was in their prime. I was on staff with Wilson and Bob Mandrella bent a set of irons 2* up for me. He had a plywood board with some black markings on it but no numbers. He took each iron and put it in a vice and then whacked the he!! out of it with a splayed copper headed mallet, then put it back against the board. In a lw - 2 iron set he had to re-whack only 2 of the irons. An amazing craftsman that worked on quite a few Hall Of Famer golfers clubs. I too would love to se Wilson return to at least a viable player in todays market.  

Make that 3 of us.  They have produced some good performing equipment lately.  How have their sales been the past couple of years?

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

35 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Make that 3 of us.  They have produced some good performing equipment lately.  How have their sales been the past couple of years?

From what I’ve heard they are in the very low single digit of market share for irons and I would guess their driver, fw,hybrids and wedges are about the same if not even less

edit: saw an interview somewhere where they said if it wasn’t for the boxed sets Wilson golf might not exist anymore. 

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

From what I’ve heard they are in the very low single digit of market share for irons and I would guess their driver, fw,hybrids and wedges are about the same if not even less

edit: saw an interview somewhere where they said if it wasn’t for the boxed sets Wilson golf might not exist anymore. 

I think the boxed sets kept them going during their bad spell of the 90s and early 2000s.  @GolfSpy Barbajo wrote a great series on Wilson a few years back and as of the 2010s, Wilson was back to making a profit on golf equipment again to go along with growing sales.  I hope that has continued and wonder how things have continued as this decade draws to a close.   That resurgence was helped along by good performing products and if looks meant anything, this driving iron should help draw interest.  

Gameday

Classic Bag

21 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

I think the boxed sets kept them going during their bad spell of the 90s and early 2000s.  @GolfSpy Barbajo wrote a great series on Wilson a few years back and as of the 2010s, Wilson was back to making a profit on golf equipment again to go along with growing sales.  I hope that has continued and wonder how things have continued as this decade draws to a close.   That resurgence was helped along by good performing products and if looks meant anything, this driving iron should help draw interest.  

For sure the box sets kept them in the business but at the sametime has given them a reputation as being just boxed sets and none of their products have significantly outperformed other brands and their marketing isn’t anywhere near what TM ir Callaway have and while they are a legit old school brand they don’t garner the same fan base as a titleist or ping. They have a lot to overcome and despite making good to great products they are lagging behind on sales.

the numbers I saw thru September for all iron models had them at less than 1% market share. Now you have the big names either already releasing their new lines like titleist who was up double digit percentages and in 3rd place behind tm and Callaway and just ahead of ping. These 3 were all in double digit percentage of market share. Mizuno who was in 5th has less than half the market share of ping and it goes down from there.

imo until Wilson or brands like Cleveland, cobra, Wilson put out revolutionary products they are going to struggle. Pxg is doing better than everyone but the top 5 mentioned and aren’t that far behind mizuno iron share