Jump to content
Shankster

Wilson Driving Irons

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

They have been teasing this for a few weeks. Well, ok more like months with G. Woodland using one. I really hope they bring the 15° to retail. Website is only showing: 18°, 20°, 24°

 

Beautiful.

 

IMG_6639.JPG

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stock shaft is too light. That is my only complaint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have been teasing this for a few weeks. Well, ok more like months with G. Woodland using one. I really hope they bring the 15° to retail. Website is only showing: 18°, 20°, 24°
 
Beautiful.
 
IMG_6639.thumb.JPG.f6c98d6997e72ccfa96c311d67693dfc.JPG

15 is not coming to retail. Woodland struggled to get the ball up with it, so they decided against it.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The stock shaft is too light. That is my only complaint. 

They offer evenflow black and blue and hzrdus black 85 as well.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a sucker for 2 irons... gonna need to hit it but as far as looks go its pretty nice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m a sucker for 2 irons... gonna need to hit it but as far as looks go its pretty nice.


Sí, you need one. The best part is, the offset is extremely minimal. The 2 iron is roughly the same as the Blueprint 2 iron... I really hope they bring the 1 iron (15°) to retail. I could go Driver, 1-PW... just like old times. Only more forgiving.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the design trend Wilson is taking with their staff model clubs!  Shame no love for the lefty’s with these hollow bodies.   But, the D7s are lofted at 19,22,25 in the 4-6 irons so they are only a degree weaker than the Staff Model driving irons—so there is a very stretched take for consolation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looking at this. I feel Wilson kinda missed their mark again with the price. $229 is about $30 to high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

looking at this. I feel Wilson kinda missed their mark again with the price. $229 is about $30 to high.

Wilson is in a tough spot. They have the Walmart box set perception to overcome and tend to price somethings high in an effort to shake that image but at the same time when they are priced similar to other brands with more favorable perceptions they get lost in the shuffle.  If they price where they are slightly under the big names and around the price of cobra or Cleveland it doesn’t help with the brand perception.

They make great irons and some like their woods but they haven’t been able to standout as head and shoulders better than other brands. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Wilson is in a tough spot. They have the Walmart box set perception to overcome and tend to price somethings high in an effort to shake that image but at the same time when they are priced similar to other brands with more favorable perceptions they get lost in the shuffle.  If they price where they are slightly under the big names and around the price of cobra or Cleveland it doesn’t help with the brand perception.

They make great irons and some like their woods but they haven’t been able to standout as head and shoulders better than other brands. 

completely agree. The cortex is a prime example. It was a decent driver. Not amazing but decent. We got eight in our store and at the $499 price we sold one. The rest are currently in a 50% off bag waiting to be picked up. 

Edited by Quigleyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... I played the original Staff FG Tour and found it as good as any and better than some. Nice combination of performance and forgiveness. I absolutely loved the Kuro Kage Black 90hy shaft that was stock in the original and have used it in all my other DI's. Wilson did have a problem with a few faces caving in and they have obviously addressed and fixed that with this new release. I would certainly add this to the must demo list if you are in the market for a DI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

completely agree. The cortex is a prime example. It was a decent driver. Not amazing but decent. We got eight in our store and at the $499 price we sold one. The rest are currently in a 50% off bag waiting to be picked up. 

Yeah that driver release was interesting. Some places were reporting they were selling out and the reaction was to the driver was impressive and they hadn’t seen sales like that while many other places are like your where they may have sold 1-2.  
 

In a way I feel bad for brands like Wilson (wish they would have kept the Wilson Staff name and not just the logo), Cobra, Cleveland and to an extent Mizuno (with their words and wedges). These brands are putting out some really good stuff at a perfect price point but they just can’t get enough traction to jump up in market share. There’s definitely been releases from Cobra that were better than the big guys but they just never took off like I think they should have. 
 

Cleveland has the rep for being a wedge brand, cobra still battles the cheap perception from their days under titleist and Mizuno like Wilson has the “they make great irons” moniker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah that driver release was interesting. Some places were reporting they were selling out and the reaction was to the driver was impressive and they hadn’t seen sales like that while many other places are like your where they may have sold 1-2.  
 

In a way I feel bad for brands like Wilson (wish they would have kept the Wilson Staff name and not just the logo), Cobra, Cleveland and to an extent Mizuno (with their words and wedges). These brands are putting out some really good stuff at a perfect price point but they just can’t get enough traction to jump up in market share. There’s definitely been releases from Cobra that were better than the big guys but they just never took off like I think they should have. 
 

Cleveland has the rep for being a wedge brand, cobra still battles the cheap perception from their days under titleist and Mizuno like Wilson has the “they make great irons” moniker.

Clevelands problem was being bought by Srixon and the decision to make Srixon the quality stuff. Cleveland had a great rep in the US. Srixon makes good stuff but is an asian brand. tough to sell when you do not have your stuff in stores. 

 

Mizuno and cobra I think are about to break out and become very good brands throughout the bag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Clevelands problem was being bought by Srixon and the decision to make Srixon the quality stuff. Cleveland had a great rep in the US. Srixon makes good stuff but is an asian brand. tough to sell when you do not have your stuff in stores. 

 

Mizuno and cobra I think are about to break out and become very good brands throughout the bag. 

The Srixon stuff has been a good offering and has slowly grown since the x45 release. Initially no one knew what the brand was and didn’t realize it’s one of the top brands overseas. XXIO is technically the premium brand.  It does make it harder when not having in stores. Those who hit it love it. The recently Cleveland release was interesting and using Jamie Sadlowski as the face of that brand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam said it yesterday when raffling the V6, Wilson is really moving the ticker.

I like their offerings and this is a good look on them.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bens197 said:

Adam said it yesterday when raffling the V6, Wilson is really moving the ticker.

I like their offerings and this is a good look on them.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I want Wilson to survive and be successful mainly for one reason. They are the last of the old dogs. Macgregor gone, Hogan, yes revamped but not the same. Wilson needs to stick around. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I want Wilson to survive and be successful mainly for one reason. They are the last of the old dogs. Macgregor gone, Hogan, yes revamped but not the same. Wilson needs to stick around. 

 

... Amen! It is probably difficult for young golfers that grow up in the disastrous Wilson foray into discount equipment era, just how much of a player Wilson was in their prime. I was on staff with Wilson and Bob Mandrella bent a set of irons 2* up for me. He had a plywood board with some black markings on it but no numbers. He took each iron and put it in a vice and then whacked the he!! out of it with a splayed copper headed mallet, then put it back against the board. In a lw - 2 iron set he had to re-whack only 2 of the irons. An amazing craftsman that worked on quite a few Hall Of Famer golfers clubs. I too would love to se Wilson return to at least a viable player in todays market.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I want Wilson to survive and be successful mainly for one reason. They are the last of the old dogs. Macgregor gone, Hogan, yes revamped but not the same. Wilson needs to stick around. 

 

1 minute ago, chisag said:

 

... Amen! It is probably difficult for young golfers that grow up in the disastrous Wilson foray into discount equipment era, just how much of a player Wilson was in their prime. I was on staff with Wilson and Bob Mandrella bent a set of irons 2* up for me. He had a plywood board with some black markings on it but no numbers. He took each iron and put it in a vice and then whacked the he!! out of it with a splayed copper headed mallet, then put it back against the board. In a lw - 2 iron set he had to re-whack only 2 of the irons. An amazing craftsman that worked on quite a few Hall Of Famer golfers clubs. I too would love to se Wilson return to at least a viable player in todays market.  

Make that 3 of us.  They have produced some good performing equipment lately.  How have their sales been the past couple of years?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

 

Make that 3 of us.  They have produced some good performing equipment lately.  How have their sales been the past couple of years?

From what I’ve heard they are in the very low single digit of market share for irons and I would guess their driver, fw,hybrids and wedges are about the same if not even less

edit: saw an interview somewhere where they said if it wasn’t for the boxed sets Wilson golf might not exist anymore. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

From what I’ve heard they are in the very low single digit of market share for irons and I would guess their driver, fw,hybrids and wedges are about the same if not even less

edit: saw an interview somewhere where they said if it wasn’t for the boxed sets Wilson golf might not exist anymore. 

I think the boxed sets kept them going during their bad spell of the 90s and early 2000s.  @GolfSpy Barbajo wrote a great series on Wilson a few years back and as of the 2010s, Wilson was back to making a profit on golf equipment again to go along with growing sales.  I hope that has continued and wonder how things have continued as this decade draws to a close.   That resurgence was helped along by good performing products and if looks meant anything, this driving iron should help draw interest.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...