Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Why don't they use artificial turf on greens?

Mr. 82

Serious question.  With all of the advances in artificial turf sources in the last 10 years or so, what is stopping golf courses from investing in an artificial turf for all of their green complexes.  Just think of the advantages...

• perfect rolling surface every day.
  • never have to mow a green again.
  • never have to aerate or top dress a green ever again.
  • never have to water a green ever again.
  • never have to worry about brown patches, bare patches, dirt or losing your green ever again.

I suppose the only reason I can think of why courses haven't considered this yet, is because you need to cut the hole on a regular basis, but I would think that courses would be able to get the turf with 4 or 5 different hole locations, and you just swap out one for the other as you go through the week, at least I would think anyway.

What am I missing here?  I would think that the economics would drive golf courses towards this idea, but apparently I am really missing something as I haven't seen it yet...well, except at miniature golf courses.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

A quick google search reveals that there are some around the world. There’s a fairly recent article in a golf course architectural magazine that extols them as the wave of the future so my guess is that they are coming.

My son told me that the atoll his dive would dock at in the Indian Ocean had a 9 hole par three course that featured artificial tees and greens but he was always either too busy or too drunk to play it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Definitely not 'maintenance free' though, but I imagine requiring noticeably less attention than grass.

Also, from a playing POV, isn't adapting to different green conditions due to weather etc part of the challenge?

I can certainly imagine artificial green (and tees more so) becoming more common over time especially for 'new builds'.  But for an established course to rip its turf greens up to replace them would be a huge financial outlay, so unless it is part of a planned redesign it's probably not practical.

Have you watched a baseball or football bounce off of synthetic turf?  You'd never get a golf ball to stop.  And that stuff doesn't last forever, eventually you'd have to replace it.  Most important, I can't believe the golfing public would accept it.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Have you watched a baseball or football bounce off of synthetic turf?  You'd never get a golf ball to stop.  And that stuff doesn't last forever, eventually you'd have to replace it.  Most important, I can't believe the golfing public would accept it.  

I was going to say the same thing. One of the big gripes in MLS is that some teams don't have real grass in their stadiums. It becomes a challenge that visiting teams need to overcome to learn all the weird ways the ball bounces. If I recall, they get some of those straight up first bounces followed by a second that shoots forward. It is much different than real turf. I can imagine that a golf ball would behave quite differently, too. 

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

A quick google search reveals that there are some around the world. There’s a fairly recent article in a golf course architectural magazine that extols them as the wave of the future so my guess is that they are coming.

My son told me that the atoll his dive would dock at in the Indian Ocean had a 9 hole par three course that featured artificial tees and greens but he was always either too busy or too drunk to play it. :)

I may have played a time or two on that 9 hole course your son described.
Underneath the green and tee areas the surface was crushed shells. So, like mentioned later in the thread, balls landing on the green took some wicked and unpredictable bounces.
At least we got to swing and practice ball striking

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

We have one about an hour from here.  It leaves a lot to be desired to be honest.  Balls react very differently on turf than any natural surface I've ever seen.  If I remember correctly, the one near me has about 5 or 6 preset pin locations on each green.  They simply plug the ones not in use with a plastic tube with the synthetic grass layer on top.

One aside, my kids high school installed a turf football field a few years ago exclaiming the cost benefits due to no (or very low) maintenance requirements.  The school system has found out very quickly, they are not as maintenance free or cheap to maintain as turf companies would have you believe.  Marketing works I guess!

I would think that there is potential for this in the future. Current artificial grasses are just not there yet. One of the biggest hindrances is going to be blade length. There has to be consistent friction created in order to have the ball react anything close to natural grass. As noted reaction to landing is also an issue. As far as maintenance goes, they are not maintenance free by any means but the cost will be significantly less than natural. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I think for a small executive type course that is a bit more of a gimmick and inviting for all types of golfer something with artificial greens and tees could be a lot of fun. With light to play at night, and nothing over say 170 yards. Maybe even less. I don't see anyway for the ball to hold the green past that. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Theres an executive course here in Columbus that has synthetic greens.  I played it once and it was awful.  I dont know what they put under the turf but the greens were so hard that your ball would hit the green and bounce like a superball and they were so stupid fast that it wasnt even fun.  I played about 3 holes and went home because I would 5 putt every green.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 3:10 PM, ZenGolfer said:

Theres an executive course here in Columbus that has synthetic greens.  I played it once and it was awful.  I dont know what they put under the turf but the greens were so hard that your ball would hit the green and bounce like a superball and they were so stupid fast that it wasnt even fun.  I played about 3 holes and went home because I would 5 putt every green.

Exactly what I’d expect from turf greens. I would  imagine they bounce like frozen greens. No bueno and takes the fun out of it. You’d almost have to put a cushion under the Turf to be more accepting. Then who knows how long that would last for 

9 minutes ago, Charli said:

Exactly what I’d expect from turf greens. I would  imagine they bounce like frozen greens. No bueno and takes the fun out of it. You’d almost have to put a cushion under the Turf to be more accepting. Then who knows how long that would last for 

Yeah, I dont know what was under that course's greens but it wasnt fun.  I would think that if you just put the turf on bare ground it wouldnt hold water like grass will and could make the ground dry out and make it really hard.  That would certainly explain what I experience.

Either way, I dont look forward to playing on synthetic greens again any time soon.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'd bet someone could come up with a good way to make artificial turf that worked well for golf instead of football or soccer. I'm just not sure it'd be easy to convince someone to put the time and money into creating such a turf, or find many courses interested in putting them in their play

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

I went to a range one time that had artificial turf in all practice areas. It made for a very different experience when compared to natural grass.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

... We need more nature in our lives, not less. I would never play on plastic greens even if it were free. Being in nature is one of the reasons I play and enjoy golf so the more natural my surroundings the better. Playing on sanctuary courses and/or federally protected wetlands is always a treat.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I talked to our Super about this a couple weeks ago. 
He has heard of some small executive type courses doing it. But said he cant imagine any regular course would ever do so. 

The size of greens (and 18 of them not 9) would be very expensive. 

once they are done they arent maintenance free. They would need to be cleaned/brushed/vacuumed regularly  .  

creating and changing holes could present quality challenges.  Eventually the turf will wear out and need replaced. 

damage can be tough to repair vs grass. 

Where the turf meets grass on the fringes could create some awkward rolls/lies 

plus he said probably a myriad of other things he hadn’t thought  of  

Think about it.  All other synthetic fields are generally 1 large area that arent 18 individual 3,000 SQ Feet fields of their own. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I talked to our Super about this a couple weeks ago. 
He has heard of some small executive type courses doing it. But said he cant imagine any regular course would ever do so. 

The size of greens (and 18 of them not 9) would be very expensive. 

once they are done they arent maintenance free. They would need to be cleaned/brushed/vacuumed regularly  .  

creating and changing holes could present quality challenges.  Eventually the turf will wear out and need replaced. 

damage can be tough to repair vs grass. 

Where the turf meets grass on the fringes could create some awkward rolls/lies 

plus he said probably a myriad of other things he hadn’t thought  of  

Think about it.  All other synthetic fields are generally 1 large area that arent 18 individual 3,000 SQ Feet fields of their own. 

You're forgetting seams. Artificial turf fields aren't one giant piece of fake turf, there are dozens of seems all throughout the turf. Imagine dealing with a seam on a putting green. Oof 

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to a replacement for natural grass greens, but I think the economics of water are going to make lower maintenance alternatives look more attractive.  

One thing I wonder is why courses don't use artifical turf on tees?  Tees take a horrific beating.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

You're forgetting seams. Artificial turf fields aren't one giant piece of fake turf, there are dozens of seems all throughout the turf. Imagine dealing with a seam on a putting green. Oof 

Yep.  I forgot  that. It was part of whst he said when he was talking about the seams on the fringes. 

i know weve all had a minigolf hole in one ruined by a bad seam 😎

54 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to a replacement for natural grass greens, but I think the economics of water are going to make lower maintenance alternatives look more attractive.  

One thing I wonder is why courses don't use artifical turf on tees?  Tees take a horrific beating.

I think for Some of the same reasons.  

They will get worn out even faster than greens would as it's a much smaller space with a lot of traffic.  Grass does regrow And 4 tee boxes to maintain would be a lot as well.  

I had a 50’ x 28’ putting green with four holes installed in my backyard two years ago.  There is room to hit pitch shots from 50 yards.  Most putting greens consist of a carpet over crushed gravel and sand.  When hitting pitch or full shots you will get ball marks which will cause a dent that can not be easily repaired.

The green I had installed has the “grass” over an inch long.  This is then filled with round sand, approximately two pounds per square foot and rolled until it is compacted.  This allows the green to accept pitch and full shots. 

The green was installed to accentuate the natural rolls and a hump in the terrain.  No problem for this since it is not a carpet which also eliminates seams.  Pitch shots do not react exactly like grass but it is acceptable.  A decent shot will still hold the green since the round sand has some give but no pitch marks to fix.  Speed is 10 in one direction and 12 in the other.  Green needs to be blown off on a regular basis and resanded (usually at edges of cups) and rolled once a year.  Over the winter I do not need to cover the green.

Like mentioned earlier there is a distinct transition from the fringe to the putting surface.  The fringe is only OK for some chip shots.  Transition from fringe to grass is much better.  Reading the contours of the green is not the same as a grass green but still acceptable.  With only four hole options it can get a bit boring.  To solve this I bought two Dead Zero putting discs that can be placed anywhere on the green.  Smaller than the hole to replicate a putt made if it is hit and they have enough weight to not move.

Overall, these types of greens are great for a homeowner as they will give you most of what you need.  I would install one of these greens again if room permitted.  Much lower maintenance than real grass that you can hire out or do yourself.  Would I pay a course who uses greens like this, not a chance.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

On 11/24/2019 at 9:50 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Another consideration in hot, sunny areas is that the constant UV exposure will eventually start to break down the plastic itself (at least current tech formulations).

And I agree with the teeing grounds idea - seems to make total sense!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 11/30/2019 at 9:21 PM, cksurfdude said:

Another consideration in hot, sunny areas is that the constant UV exposure will eventually start to break down the plastic itself (at least current tech formulations).

And I agree with the teeing grounds idea - seems to make total sense!

Harvard supposedly found a link between the original turf at the old Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia and the morbidly high glioblastoma rate of those 70's, 80's and 90's Phillies teams.  The astonishingly long list of baseball players who played for the Phillies that died of a rare form or brain cancer is hard to ignore.  Given the Eagles played there as well and have signs of similar outbreak, one can only assume the sun plays a vital role.  After all, football isn't played in the summer months and players aren't exposed virtually every day like baseball.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/sports/baseball/brain-cancer-phillies-daulton.html

Oddly enough, the new issue of Golfer's Journal has an article about a course that was planned to be built completely with artificial turf, and why it didn't get built.  I'm about halfway done, but it was apparently a NIMBY issue rather than anything else.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia