Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kevin Na sets new record at Valero

Pickerjohn

After thinking he's carded a 15, he reviewed it before signing his card and

found out it was a 16, a new record for a par 4 hole on the PGA Tour.

An errant drive into the right woods, unplayble, back to the tee, only to hit

into the same spot again, and attempt to punch it out resulted in the

ball hitting a limb and bouncing back into him (add 2), 5 more shots to get it

out and a smooth 16 on the card, To his credit he shot 3 under on the back

for an 80.

BTW, John Daly's 18 on the Par 5 6th at Bay Hills a few years ago is the record

for highest score period, he's had 10 scores in double digits on a hole on the PGATour.

Adams 9064LS 10.5 R.I.P. Reg. gold eye

Cleveland DST 3 wood (17) Redboard Reg.

Clevelamd DST 7 wood Redboard Reg.

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW Nippon Pro 950 R + 1/2"

Scratch 53* DS

Scratch 60* SS

Cleveland Classic 2 Putter 35

Ping Anser Putter

Scotty Studio Select Newport ( for trade )

Kinda looking for some Srixon 701 Tour heads

Addias Stand bag

Ping USA Staff bag

Srixon TriSpeed Tour & Titleist Pro V1X & Srixon Z Star X

here is a full article I just read...

I gotta say though scoring an 80 after that is impressive...

Kevin Na had just had a struggle from underneath a tree at the par-5 8th hole, when he arrived at the tee of the par-4 9th hole at the TPC San Antonio in the opening round of the Valero Texas Open. Little did he know what was about to happen.

Na hits his tee shot well to the right. Way right. It goes into the woods – deep brush, filled with thorny branches and dense, small trees. Miraculously, Na and his caddie find the ball, but decide there's no way that they can properly play the ball to get it out of the forest. So they head back to the tee.

Then Na hits his second tee shot. It may as well have been an instant replay of the first. He drops his club to the ground instantly in disgust (which disgusted me). It's deep right again.

Just for good measure – in case of a lost ball, not an unplayable lie when he finds the second tee shot – Na hits a half-decent provisional, although that went left.

Na and his caddie find the ball in the woods. He lies three, hitting four. He and his caddie assess that there's a “50/50 chance” of getting out with a pitched 7 or 8-iron. Na decides he's gonna hit.

Whack. The ball hits a tree in front of Na, then something else, and lands behind him. That something else was Na's pant leg.

“Unless that was a branch that came up,” Na said to his caddie, “that was the ball.”

The two bring in a rules official to explain. Over the radio, a Tour official tells Na, “It appears from television the ball did strike you.”

That's a penalty stroke. Now, he's hitting six. But from there, he can't hit the ball. So he takes an unplayable lie and moves back two club lengths. Up to eight.

He hits his eighth. The ball goes forward, but deeper into the woods on the right. Na walks up to the ball quickly, takes a left-handed stance, and whacks at it again for nine. That moves about four feet. Then he hits his tenth shot from the right side. It goes forward, but still about the same depth in the woods.

Na is pacing quickly now. He finds his 10th shot and whacks at it. This time is goes backward as Na yells, “Oh, come on!” to the ball.

Finally, with his 12th shot, Na gets out of the Woods to somewhat relieved, somewhat sarcastic applause.

With prickly thorn in his clothing and likely some tears (not crying, but rips) in his shirt, Na gets green side from 108 yards. He gets up-and-down for 15.

At that point, what can you do but smile? Withdraw?

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

This post really needs accompanying video.

And so here it is:

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This post really needs accompanying video.

And so here it is:

Why in world would you ever choose to play out of that stuff?

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I could totally see myself shooting that or worse :blink:

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

I could totally see myself shooting that or worse :blink:

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

At some points in the video I thought David Attenborough should be narrating... Looked like a nature documentary...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Na managed to keep his tee shot in play today on the 9th. He hit it into the right hand rough, which I'm sure caused a momentary flashback as he saw the ball moving right. He made par, but his 77 didn't get him anywhere near making the cut.

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

I saw the whole video on TV a couple of times but he was laughing through it all. I can have symphaty for him. I once made a 11 on a par 5 in a pro mini tour event. To be honest you could have fried a egg on my head but I maintained somehow. My dad once told me that if you hit one ob and retee do not hit that driver on that next shot. I wish I had taken his advice on that hole when I made the 11. Live and learn

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I think we can all have sympathy for the poor guy he made it through a pretty rough ordeal where i'm sure a lot of people would have thought about snapping a club over their knee but he took it will stride and ended up with an 80 for the day not bad.

I got all kinds of sympathy for him. I think we have all been there, just in our case we drop a ball and keep playing. On the same side though this is why I love the game. Even pro's have bad days just as we do.

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

Archived