scott80109

Favorite training aid?

What is your favorite training aid, and what swing flaw did you get it to help with? I have struggled forever with over swinging, and tried everything to correct it. It has been such a struggle that even a lob wedge could get past parallel. 

I finally found something that has helped tremendously - the Gabe Golf swing trainer. It is a 7 iron with ball bearings in the shaft. You swing it to the top, and pause while the balls loudly slide down, then swing through. It has changed my swing dramatically. Better top position and better tempo. It really helped break my swing into 2 distinct part - the backswing, and the downswing. The pause gives me time to get to the proper top position, then clear my mind and only focus on the downswing. It's like the freezer drill where you freeze at the top, and I suppose that would work if you had a mirror. But with hearing the balls drop, it allows me to focus on the feel more than a visual. 

It's pretty amazing that after a few hundred swings with it, I can hit it farther and straighter from a paused position than I can from a normal swing. It added about 5-10 yards to my 7i carry, which was already at 185. I might have to adopt the Hideki pause in my normal swing!

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with anyone suffering from the same problem, and find out from others if they have any similar stories with training aids that helped them transform their swing. 

• Like 1

Impact ball

I had one and it got so slick and kept slipping out of my forearms. Went to the TourStriker version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

I had one and it got so slick and kept slipping out of my forearms. Went to the TourStriker version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Smart Ball, correct? With the lanyard?

• Like 1

I just received one of the balls on the lanyard in my monthly Mullybox and so far I like it because I can work with it at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, edingc said:

That’s the one. Pretty much the same but the lanyard is a very welcome addition as there are times I am chasing impact ball all over range. 

• Like 3