Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

President's Cup Captain's Picks

FrogginBullfish

... This is from Golf Magazine and might clear up the reasons Reed is disliked by some. And this is all before his abrasive behavior towards others once he became a Pro:

Reed played one year of college golf at the University of Georgia before being dismissed from the team. In Shane Ryan’s book, Slaying the Tiger: A Year Inside the Ropes on the New PGA Tour, Ryan brings to light accusations of Reed cheating and stealing from teammates. Reed denied the accusations in a Golf Channel interview, saying he was dismissed for alcohol violations.

Blogger Stephanie Wei obtained a statement from Jason Payne, the assistant golf coach at Georgia during Reed’s year there.

“While getting to know Patrick through the recruiting process as a coach, a few character issues came to light, that we as coaches thought we could help Patrick with,” he said. “Once Patrick was on campus for a few months, it became clear that Patrick was not going to mesh with the make up of the team at that time, and he was dismissed from the team. There is no doubting the ability of Patrick as a golfer, it was Patrick as a person that we chose not to associate with. The story that has been reported by Shane Ryan is an accurate account of his college career at UGA—including the suspicions held by his former teammates.”

Reed transferred to his hometown Augusta State, but the smoke never fully cleared. Wie reported other instances of suspected cheating and a rift with teammates.

That’s too bad. I’ve read about the transfer to his hometown school and that there were growing pains.

I wanted to give Reed the benefit of the doubt and hope that he could acknowledge his shortcomings and learn. Fair to say the bridges are still smoldering.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The stories about his relationship with his parents are incomplete and not really anyone's business but his.

While many of us have good relationships with our parents and family members, others do not and those people shouldn't be expected to maintain relationships with them just because they're their parents.

I think Reed is a well documented jerk. The stories about not talking to his parents, having the removed from events, his cheating, his crying on the course about "Jordan Speith would have gotten a drop". The move back, and I am not going to hit a shot till you leave. I wanted to like this guy. but I cannot. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

You can never really know about these guys unless you actually know them personally - I watch for the golf. Reed is playing better golf than Fowler right now, I’d rather see Reed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

50 minutes ago, revkev said:

You can never really know about these guys unless you actually know them personally - I watch for the golf. Reed is playing better golf than Fowler right now, I’d rather see Reed.

Agree.  That's an aspect about social media that I really dislike.  The same folks who jump on the "trash Patrick wagon" might actually find him to be someone they'd really like to be friends with.  Way too much judgement from behind a keyboard/computer screen IMO.

Go Team USA! smiley-with-us-flag.gif.0baef28fa2b18808b621f587a25f29c4.gif

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Yup. Lots of rocks get thrown from glass houses on the web

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yup. Lots of rocks get thrown from glass houses on the web

You are correct. It is non of mine or anyone else’s business. I simple state it as part of the story as to why he is not well liked. There is more than enough other evidence that this is not even needed. You can look at the Ryder cup, the baseball game where none of the other pros wanted to sit by him. He is not well liked. That is fact. Still you are correct, his personal life and his relationships are his and his alone.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

You are correct. It is non of mine or anyone else’s business. I simple state it as part of the story as to why he is not well liked. There is more than enough other evidence that this is not even needed. You can look at the Ryder cup, the baseball game where none of the other pros wanted to sit by him. He is not well liked. That is fact. Still you are correct, his personal life and his relationships are his and his alone.

... While I would agree personally, his personal life isn't any of my business, his personal life has spilled onto his professional life and as a celebrity it become part of public domain. Kinda like my thread about traffic accidents and so many just have to look, Reed has put himself in that position. I choose to ignore and keep moving but others want to see the accident that is Reed. 

... My only concern about him is he represents the US in Ryder and Presidents Cup matches and constantly trash talks European players and worse their crowds, which are much more polite than Americans and appreciate good play but do not cheer bad play, something drunken Americans sadly do. I think he is a poor representative of this country (although in todays political climate maybe not) and for that reason I was hoping he would not be selected. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... While I would agree personally, his personal life isn't any of my business, his personal life has spilled onto his professional life and as a celebrity it become part of public domain. Kinda like my thread about traffic accidents and so many just have to look, Reed has put himself in that position. I choose to ignore and keep moving but others want to see the accident that is Reed. 

... My only concern about him is he represents the US in Ryder and Presidents Cup matches and constantly trash talks European players and worse their crowds, which are much more polite than Americans and appreciate good play but do not cheer bad play, something drunken Americans sadly do. I think he is a poor representative of this country (although in todays political climate maybe not) and for that reason I was hoping he would not be selected. 

Reed is the the type of guy that tends to thrive on ryder cup and presidents cup events. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and he plays a role. His back and forth with rory is one of the best moments of the Ryder cup. His shhhh is almost iconic at this point. 

Some drunk idiot fans at events aren’t the majority of fans on either side of the pond and that’s a pretty broad brush you are using.

some don’t like the brash, outspoken type and that’s ok but to say he is a bad representation of America is a big stretch. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

... "I think" is not a stretch at all. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 11/8/2019 at 5:58 PM, FrogginBullfish said:

The stories about his relationship with his parents are incomplete and not really anyone's business but his.

I'm just glad to see someone else post this.  Family issues are family issues and if you're not directly involved, it's best to keep your mouth shut.  Even still, it's best to keep your mouth shut because family issues are family issues and really aren't anyone else's business.

With that said, I like the Reed pick over Spieth or Fowler at the moment.  Maybe 2020 can be the year Jordan returns to form and Rickie starts playing well again, but they haven't yet.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised no one has mentioned Jason Day has withdrawn. Back issues.

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Surprised no one has mentioned Jason Day has withdrawn. Back issues.

I'm not surprised - it's been a ongoing problem for him.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I am not surprised by the withdrawal. He is regularly hurt, or at least complaining that he is hurt. More surprised by the lack of conversion around it. But, I guess when it becomes almost scheduled for him to withdraw it becomes a boy who cried wolf scenario. And people lack care.

I'll be honest I hadn't checked Golf Channel between the actual report coming out and your post in here so I had no idea until seeing your post.

I am not surprised by the withdrawal. He is regularly hurt, or at least complaining that he is hurt. More surprised by the lack of conversion around it. But, I guess when it becomes almost scheduled for him to withdraw it becomes a boy who cried wolf scenario. And people lack care.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

3 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I'll be honest I hadn't checked Golf Channel between the actual report coming out and your post in here so I had no idea until seeing your post.

I guess I am glad to be first then. Haha

On 11/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, tony@CIC said:

Yup, he and a couple healthy handfuls of other tour players have one or more body parts that are chronic problems.  I think we sometimes forget just how much these guys (and gals) practice and play.  Golf swings exert stresses that our physiology wasn't inherently designed for.  

I had heard about BK's withdrawal and Ricky stepping into that slot; but had not heard about Jason Day.  Who is taking his place?

Update: (Byeong Hun An)

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yup, he and a couple healthy handfuls of other tour players have one or more body parts that are chronic problems.  I think we sometimes forget just how much these guys (and gals) practice and play.  Golf swings exert stresses that our physiology wasn't inherently designed for.  

I had heard about BK's withdrawal and Ricky stepping into that slot; but had not heard about Jason Day.  Who is taking his place?

Update: (Byeong Hun An)

When I look at the Pro's swing and the contortions they put their bodies through I surprised that they don't quit by the time they're 30 for health reasons. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart