TESTERS WANTED! ×

Two Baggers

fixyurdivot

Multiple Bags  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own and operate more than one set of clubs?

• yes
    • no

I sure hope my recent upgrade hasn't released the "club ho" inside me 😱.  Ever since joining this forum and having just purchased my G410's this summer, I'm noticing an urge growing to test other irons. Oh, I really like the G410's but, having just completed a lengthy process of fittings (two) and downselect leading to their purchase, I find myself with a hankering to test more. Part of that could be because my location did not afford an opportunity to test the breadth of hardware available (i.e., a True Spec experience).

Then I pause and look at the collection of fly rods and reels I have 😄...do I really want to go down this bunny-hole?  I'm thinking along the lines of trying to find a set of used blades that I might be able to play.  This may be more of a personal challenge to myself than anything.  How many of you own and operate more than one set of clubs?  Are you doing so more to quench your lust for shiny metal or for performance under certain playing conditions, etc.?  I know some just collect and refinish for fun but I'm more interested in hearing from those who play multiple bags.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I guess it just depends on how you choose to look at it.  In my house here in the back room, I have 3 full sets of irons, and some assorted wedges that I have accumulated over the years, with about 5 different putters.  I maintain my regular bag, which is the latest and greatest that I put into play with every serious round.  However, I have a Sunday bag, which holds 6 clubs that I took out for a couple of months this time last year when I was walking a local 9-hole muni.

But beyond the Sunday bag, I don't put the other older irons or clubs into play ever.  They are more along the lines of collecting dust, and there is always the part of me that keeps them because "you never know".  Something along the lines of, "if I should need an emergency replacement for my 7 iron should I lose or break it," type of thing.

If anything, I'd buy new clubs before even considering putting the old stuff back into play.  I've tried going backwards from time to time with the older clubs, and I guess it's kind of like driving a new car with the new technology.  Once you get that FOB keyless push button start in your car, you'll never want to go back to actually having to turn a key to start the car.

I mean, why would I go backwards to the old stuff when the new stuff is so much better.  But alas, I keep the Sunday bag on the ready, as I had a buddy want to walk 9 after work on Monday, and that Sunday bag is much easier to carry and handle for a quick 9 walking then my full bag.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

So I'm thinking along the lines of irons that fall into these MPF categories.  The smart play would be to pick up a used 5, 6, or 7i.  

image.png.a5fcc6f93cd192852267c94f93c8b6d8.png

Our very own MGS Hit Squad has put together a great starting point.

https://mygolfspy.com/2017-most-wanted-players-iron/

Which ones would make your top 3 list?  A quick look at the used listings shows lots fewer Wilson V6 available than the JPX900's or TM P770's. Perhaps they just aren't catching on... or perhaps they staying in the bag? 🤔

I've been switching between two sets of irons this year.  I have Wilson C200 irons I play most of the time.  I really like the idea of the one-length irons so I bought a cheap knock-off set from Gigagolf.  I've played full rounds with the one-lengths, full rounds with the Wilsons, and I've even mixed & matched some one-lengths, some Wilsons.  I haven't settled on a specific mix just yet. 

So I guess I am doing the two sets of irons thing partly to test out how each one plays but also partly to satisfy that urge to buy new shiny new toys!

I have four sets plus various and assorted other clubs right now.  My gamer bag is what I have in my sig, the F8s with the TE HL4 iron-wood.  My guest set is my old Mizuno MX200s with various old drivers.  I picked up a nice looking set of 90s era Cobra cavity backs that a co-worker of mine is currently playing.  And then I have my grandfather's old Titleist box blades and persimmon woods up in my attic.  Plus my old Sounder persimmon driver.  Plus my old MacGregor Tommy Armour driver.

Last week at Schoolhouse, I played with a half-set and had an absolute blast.  I think I'm going to regrip the Titleists and bring them out every once in a while for something different.  I still have the old TPA V putter I used in high school, I suppose I could use that, although I'm such a mallet-head now that I think I'd rather putt with a Zebra if I'm going vintage.  Or a B61. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

LOL I wish I had ONLY 2 sets----- But my stuff is old---- My front line set is what is in my signature---- I keep sets put together in bags have at least 6 sets put together now complete with balls tees and gloves. Grab and go. Like I have told guys on here and WRX if you are here and do not have any clubs give me a call. You can grab and go or grab an empty bag and put something together. Mostly I have older blades but I do have lets see 4 sets of CBs and not only do I have a plethora of persimmon woods but quite a selection of somewhat modern metal woods too along with metal fairways and hybrids. Putters I have all kinds at least 100. Yep I am a club ho and will admit I have gotten out of control. I was in the shop yesterday afternoon cleaning up a set of Louisville Golf 50 series persimmon woods I had found on the pile at work the other day. I kinda got overwhelmed at the stuff I have in the little shop not counting what I have in the spare bedroom in the front of the house and in the building across the street. Sometimes my biggest decision of the week is what clubs I will take to the course next. I will say I am more than likely the biggest club ho on MGS but I can not hold a candle to some on WRX.  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

My wife is super cool and has little issue with me buying clubs; so long as it’s a 1:1 swap. One comes in, one has got to go.

I’m not the most impulsive buyer and once I have something I like, I’ll tinker with it but it will also stay in the bag. It works for me as I’ve only played four sets of irons since 1998. Wedges are a whole other thing but once I get something in my hands, it’s there for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

More than one set?! Wow, talk about living the high life. 

I value my manhood and my marriage to ever think about bagging more than one set. My golf inventory is similar to the 'Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark' swapping idol scene...I buy a club, I better sell/remove one quickly before the boulder (my wife) finds out and unleashes the fury. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

More than one set?! Wow, talk about living the high life. 
I value my manhood and my marriage to ever think about bagging more than one set. My golf inventory is similar to the 'Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark' swapping idol scene...I buy a club, I better sell/remove one quickly before the boulder (my wife) finds out and unleashes the fury. 

I’ve had friends poke fun at how I let my wife have say on what clubs I buy and how I choose to spend or not spend.

I’m with you. It’s nice to see more guys speak up and share the same habits. 🤙🏼
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I’ve had friends poke fun at how I let my wife have say on what clubs I buy and how I choose to spend or not spend.

I’m with you. It’s nice to see more guys speak up and share the same habits. 🤙🏼

So, I don't have a wife (yet), but I'm in the same boat, if only because I don't want to be tempted and the value of moving those for new goodies is a good way to offset my costs.

The only clubs I have downstairs is basically the set of clubs I played throughout High School and into college because there are too many good memories to get rid of those.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

So, I don't have a wife (yet), but I'm in the same boat, if only because I don't want to be tempted and the value of moving those for new goodies is a good way to offset my costs.
The only clubs I have downstairs is basically the set of clubs I played throughout High School and into college because there are too many good memories to get rid of those.

All of this RB
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

I sure hope my recent upgrade hasn't released the "club ho" inside me .  Ever since joining this forum and having just purchased my G410's this summer, I'm noticing an urge growing to test other irons. Oh, I really like the G410's but, having just completed a lengthy process of fittings (two) and downselect leading to their purchase, I find myself with a hankering to test more. Part of that could be because my location did not afford an opportunity to test the breadth of hardware available (i.e., a True Spec experience).
Then I pause and look at the collection of fly rods and reels I have ...do I really want to go down this bunny-hole?  I'm thinking along the lines of trying to find a set of used blades that I might be able to play.  This may be more of a personal challenge to myself than anything.  How many of you own and operate more than one set of clubs?  Are you doing so more to quench your lust for shiny metal or for performance under certain playing conditions, etc.?  I know some just collect and refinish for fun but I'm more interested in hearing from those who play multiple bags.

One set is all I ever have. I am of the belief that if one set has been beaten out by another set, why keep the first set around? I sell them immediately and take the money to apply to future golf purchases. The only time I’ve had two sets at a time is when I have tested irons for My Golf Spy, or won a set in a drawing.

Now, have I been on eBay recently looking at MP 25 irons, 785 irons, and Honma irons? Yes, but I won’t be pulling the trigger as there’s no way I’ll find them in the specs I need, but it sure is fun to look at other irons I think I’d like to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I don’t quite have two bags per se but I’ve had and have multiple clubs of same spot in the bag. 

if I have a second or third of something it’s usually a different category. CB irons and something more on GI or players distance. Forgiving driver and low spin driver. Sometimes it’s to have something different to look at or just fun to play something different 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Well my club ho habit really started late in life---- Up until 2001 I had only played 2 different sets of irons since 1977 or so. I did have 3 putters but putted with the same one which was a Ping Zing 2 for over 20 years. Then I got into the golf shop business with a friend of mine in 03. He got me to trying different clubs etc. We closed the shop in 09 due to the recession and had lots of older stuff. He passed away in 2011 and I ended up with all the stuff. Then I went to work for the metal recycling company in 13. That added fuel to the fire. So much stuff comes in and I can not stand to see any classic club destroyed in the shredder. I buy the stuff by the pound usually between .05 and .15 per pound. Most of my putters I have for the sake of being expensive 0.15 each and some full sets like $1.50. I shoot my grips on and off with air. I actually need to sell a lot of stuff--- Some I give away and some stuff I trade to a local shop for store credit. I also go to thrift stores that is where a lot of my bags come from.

My wife bless her does not have any problem with my hoeing habits. Some of the persimmon woods she loves to look at. And she knows I do not spend much money on golf stuff. I even salvage grips from POS clubs I find. I also salvage shafts from the same sources. She knows it can be worse. When she married me I owned 2 18 wheelers and had 2 dirt track race cars and 2 antique Harleys.. If you think golf and boats are bad mess with race cars and antique Harleys. And we ain't even going to go into owning big trucks

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

15 hours ago, BIG STU said:

My wife bless her does not have any problem with my hoeing habits

My wife views my fly fishing and golfing as a much preferred problem than me sitting on various barstools.  Plus, I'm a wee bit ADD in that I need to be active (especially now retired) and both "habits" relieve her of me getting on her nerves. 🙂

23 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Do I own more than one set... yes.  Do I operate more than one set... no.   On occasion I will swap out a club, but not a set of clubs.

I will add that my wife only has one set of clubs.  She's still playing TaylorMade RBZ woods and Burner irons from 2007.  She would probably be better off with L flex irons instead of the Senior flex she has, but she's tried several brands, and doesn't hit any of them better than her Burners.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My most recent gamers are Titleist. before that 2 sets Ping Eyes 2s but sold a set last year. An old set of Wilson Reflexs and a handful of misc hybrids, fairways. and putters. 

My bag is set with the exceptionof driver. I am lovingthe Mizuno blades though so maybe just maybe. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

12 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

both "habits" relieve her of me getting on her nerves

I look forward to the day when I'm home so much that I get on my wife's nerves.  If my daughter didn't play, I'd probably lose at least half of my rounds.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I have three sets that I have used in the last year, I will be taking one set to our vacation house to leave there, it makes it easier than having to load my clubs in the car with the kids and all of their stuff. Also thinking of leaving the third set at my in laws' home to make it easy to sneak out with my father in law when we visit them.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I currently bag Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metals, but I keep my last set (Taylormade SLDR's) in the garage and use them to practice with on my simulator.  I leave my primary clubs in my car, most of the time, so it's pretty much a convenience thing for me.

I don't think I'll ever go back to the Taylormade SLDR's.  The other nice thing about having a 'spare' set of clubs is I let my out of town guests borrow them when they drop in for a short visit.

-- P.J.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

On 11/12/2019 at 11:12 PM, lmh3 said:

I have three sets that I have used in the last year, I will be taking one set to our vacation house to leave there, it makes it easier than having to load my clubs in the car with the kids and all of their stuff. Also thinking of leaving the third set at my in laws' home to make it easy to sneak out with my father in law when we visit them.

That is not too far fetched. I know quite a few people that do that keep a set in their vacation home or condo and a set at their in laws.

G

On 11/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I sure hope my recent upgrade hasn't released the "club ho" inside me 😱.  Ever since joining this forum and having just purchased my G410's this summer, I'm noticing an urge growing to test other irons. Oh, I really like the G410's but, having just completed a lengthy process of fittings (two) and downselect leading to their purchase, I find myself with a hankering to test more. Part of that could be because my location did not afford an opportunity to test the breadth of hardware available (i.e., a True Spec experience).

Then I pause and look at the collection of fly rods and reels I have 😄...do I really want to go down this bunny-hole?  I'm thinking along the lines of trying to find a set of used blades that I might be able to play.  This may be more of a personal challenge to myself than anything.  How many of you own and operate more than one set of clubs?  Are you doing so more to quench your lust for shiny metal or for performance under certain playing conditions, etc.?  I know some just collect and refinish for fun but I'm more interested in hearing from those who play multiple bags.

You and I might just meet up in that "bunny hole" lol. I'm seriously considering getting a second set. In fact I just started a thread asking advice on the Mizuno HMs as opposed to the Apex 19's.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

7 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

You and I might just meet up in that "bunny hole" lol. I'm seriously considering getting a second set. In fact I just started a thread asking advice on the Mizuno HMs as opposed to the Apex 19's.

It can be a dangerous sport 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a set of R9 TP irons that I still play and bought a set of 690.cbs a couple of years ago to tinker with. Consistency wise, the R9s are my go to. But the feel of the 690s when struck perfectly can’t be beat. I’m in the process now of doing some shaft rearranging. The DGs make the 690s very hard for me to get a decent launch angle. I may take one of my KBS Tours from the R9s and do some testing.

I also have a couple of various older wedges that I can stick in a bag to help fill it out. I’ve also been adding to my  Titleist driver “collection”. I have a 983K, 905T, and a 909 D2. None of which I hit particularly well (shaft selection is key) but I love the look and feel when struck well.

I was also given a full set of Titleist Lite 100s, persimmon woods included by someone at my church. Haven’t swung them more than a couple of times but I have them in case I get the itch to play some throwback golf. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an ex clubmaker with the kids grown and gone and too much time on my hands. On top of that, I have a Mizuno blade fetish. Needless to say, I have several sets that are all identically matched and I tend to pull whichever set I feel like playing on any given day. Sounds weird I know, but I've been that way for several years.  Current favorite is the MP5/RIP Tour 115 R set. Others are:

MP4/Matrix Prog 130 S

MP15/RIP Tour 115 R

MP25/Recoil Proto 125 F4

MP69/RIP Tour 115 S (DSS)

MP14 (black chrome)/Fuji Pro 115 S (not shafted yet)

Cobra Amp Cell Pro/RIP Tour 115 R (oldest playing set)

BT

• 2 weeks later...

I have several- my mainline set of Wilson V2s, a guest set of Wilson Ci7s, and a few sets of vintage blades and persimmon woods for kicks...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter