GregB135

Tampa Bay Area Course Reviews

Many of you have followed and read the course review thread I started for my summer league events. Thank you to all who have read along. In order to keep my course review writing chops up  to speed, I've started this thread now to include the local courses in the Tampa (or greater Tampa Bay) area where I play outside the league. I'll keep the same format for the reviews just more from the eye of an individual round rather than part of a large group or tourney. To get a feel for the style check out the league reviews under the Florida League Course Reviews. Chime in if you have a course in mind you'd like a review on and I'll see what I can do to make it happen.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    YEGMillsy

• By GregB135
      I've just started my second season playing in a local Florida amateur league. We average a field of 36 players in two handicapped flights with individual handicaps ranging from low single digits to 30+.

Since I'm offering only course reviews, I will leave the league name out, and say only that we play on West Central Florida area courses. Some of the venues will be more well known than others, but I will do my best to give a fair assessment of the courses as we go. Where possible I will include a link and the rating/slope of the tees played, and a general feeling on the course from that day's players.

I'll use a three tiered price rating:
      Under $50 - $
      $50-75       - $$  
      $75+          - $$$
    • By GregB135
      Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Tampa Bay Golffest event. A really nice though not especially large demo day event hosted by Tampa Bay Downs. Had a chance to hit some of the new offerings out there in the marketplace and some potential GolfSpy test candidates. 
      Hit several drivers. The new Mizuno ST, Ping G410, Wilson Cortex, and Cobra F9 Speedback. Keeping in mind it wasn't full fitting for each, but the reps did ask enough questions to get you close enough spec wise so you were hitting something close to your current gamer. Of the 4, my least favorite was the Mizuno, it just didn't have the same feel as the others. The Ping G410 just felt AWESOME. The Cobra felt good, like the ball was exploding off the face, but the ball flight was a little higher than my preference, and the ball was airborne for.....ever. The Cortex was a surprise. Felt good and solid, sound and ball flight were right there with all the others. I hit a smattering of irons, but wasn't focused enough on those to include data. The latest of the Mizuno JPX forged though was a very solid feeling club. In any case, I didn't put anything back on the rack thinking "boy that sucked" so be encouraged GolfSpy universe, there is some really good equipment coming out this year.
      Also spied some of the new Bridgestone e12 golf balls in the sale tent. I'm sure we are all waiting for the revelation of those testers (my fingers are crossed).
      Last, I got some Trackman style feedback on the effectiveness of the SuperSpeed training system (about to start week 9 for me). Participating in the skills contests, included 4 Trackman assessed shots with driver. With a mis-fit glove, no warm-up, no golf shoes, and a random selection of not my drivers to choose from, I got all 4 swings onto the grid with 3 going past 270 at 100mph. About a 15-20 yard gain from last season!! Still waiting on the promised email with the Trackman video/data and pro comparison.
      A pretty cool afternoon.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!