GolfSpy MPR

Sharks on the Golf Course

Literally: https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/animals/australias-shark-infested-golf-course.aspx

Despite the snow, I'm still pretty happy to live in a place where most of the wildlife isn't likely to eat or poison me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

... Haha, I will take Bull Sharks in the lake I will never enter, on a course I can play in warm weather, over snow every time. 

• Like 8

Snakes, ticks, and poison ivy are a far worse threat than sharks.

• Like 7

Those sharks won’t be coming on land, unlike snakes, and gators that we have here! Pretty crazy though!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Gators, snakes, and (snapping) turtles scare me something fierce in these parts.  I don't even go near any of the three of those.  I had a playing partner years ago who saw a gator by a lake near the fairway of a hole we were on.  He started to drive towards to gator sitting on the bank of the lake, and I just jumped out of the cart without him even slowing down.  I told him he can do whatever he wants, but I ain't getting within 50 yards of that bugger.  I'd skip a hole before I got close to any of the above three creatures.  They have their space, and I give it to them with plenty of room to spare.

• Like 3

That’s a cool story. Really adds to the course in my opinion 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Literally: https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/animals/australias-shark-infested-golf-course.aspx

Despite the snow, I'm still pretty happy to live in a place where most of the wildlife isn't likely to eat or poison me.

Wuss. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We have the occasional bear, cougar, bobcat, coyote or snake but it's rare to actually see them.  We have had several verified sightings and reports of some mountain lions migrating back into the area but I haven't seen anything myself.  

Most of these animals are pretty shy creatures and avoid human interaction unless provoked.  I imagine that's the case with most wildlife.

• Like 2

Crazy story. We only have to content with insects; mosquitoes and may flies. But I wouldn't mind the gators or snakes if I could play year round. 

• Like 1

We see Coyotes, Javalina, and the occasional Rattlesnake here in Southern Arizona...but the lakes are usually safe!  🙂

• Like 1

We see Coyotes, Javalina, and the occasional Rattlesnake here in Southern Arizona...but the lakes are usually safe! 
Don't forget about the most dangerous AZ predator of them all...

The Cholla cactus.

Cactus-fan_Feature1.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

... Last winter I also ran across some scorpions at several courses and a Bobcat at Whirlwind. Bobcat sauntered across the green, then sat down in the shade under a tree next to the green and watched us putt. We were told rattlesnakes had just given birth and to absolutely stay out of any rough. Here is a picture of a bunker at AK Chin Southern Dunes :

956902476_AKChin5.thumb.jpg.08a9120084ce9a845932d2ec7df022de.jpg

• Like 5

More cute than dangerous but one time I walked up to a green and saw a small red fox there checking out my golf ball, as if maybe it was a treat I had put there for him!

• Like 3

More cute than dangerous but one time I walked up to a green and saw a small red fox there checking out my golf ball, as if maybe it was a treat I had put there for him!

I don't see them on the course but occasionally this young pup saunters around our deck
IMG_5010.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Don't forget about the most dangerous AZ predator of them all...

The Cholla cactus.

Cactus-fan_Feature1.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Amen to that..I don't get anywhere near that Cholla..I swear that it jumps or flies.

With snakes and gators it’s the ones that you don’t see that can get you. That and we currently have venomous caterpillars in season - they are a barrel of laughs!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

we currently have venomous caterpillars in season - they are a barrel of laughs!
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Until you touch them

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

My whole life, I have been told large cats aren't found in the mountains of southwest Virginia, east Tennessee and northwest North Carolina.  This picture was taken near the Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia border at dusk yesterday afternoon by someone I grew up with.

Cougars.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

My whole life, I have been told large cats aren't found in the mountains of southwest Virginia, east Tennessee and northwest North Carolina.  This picture was taken near the Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia border at dusk yesterday afternoon by someone I grew up with.

Cougars.jpg

Bobcats?

17 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Bobcats?

Cougars!  Bobcats are commonly found all over this area.  Nobody disputes that.  But bobcats are rather small by comparison.  They aren't much bigger than a domestic house cat.  Adult bobcats weigh about 20 pounds.  Cougars weigh as much as 220 pounds.