Jlender21

Snell golf balls

Ok guys need your help, I am looking for a new ball. I tried the mtb x a couple weeks ago and loved the feel but 10 yards shorter than the prov1 and b RX. My swing speed is 98-105, so not a huge hitter like most guys on here, do you think the black will be a better fit? I never have a problem stopping approach shots. Any info would be great thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snell is a great ball, period.  If anything I've seen increased distance with the Snell ball compared to anything else.  The next balls I buy with my own money will be from Snell.  Several things you may not know about Snell is that the price you see on their website is what you will pay for the balls, including shipping, etc.  $32.99 is $32.99 charged to you.  And when your balls arrive you'll typically get a hand signed invoice receipt from Dean Snell thanking you for your support.

Snell is a great ball, and a great company.  Dean Snell is also a great interview, as he sat down with the folks here at MGS within the past month and gave some great and candid answers to all of their questions.  Bottom line, you can't go wrong with whatever Snell ball you decide to put into play.  

You can also try a trial pack from Snell that has several of their balls in it if you aren't sure what you think might work for you.  The trial pack just might help you decide.  Give them a try.

• Like 1

The only way to know would be to try.  No one on here can tell you which ball will fit you better.  Personally, I like the MTB-X better than that Black and find it performs well and within my own variables with any of the premium balls costing nearly twice as much.  

When I determine what ball I prefer to play, I start from the green and work out.  For me, I prefer to know how it's going to perform on my approach shots, greenside wedge shots, and putter feel over distance off the tee.  

51 minutes ago, Jlender21 said:

My swing speed is 98-105,

Similar to mine

52 minutes ago, Jlender21 said:

not a huge hitter like most guys on here

I think you're thinking of a different forum 😉

I switched from the Pro V1X to the MTB-X with no loss of distance, but that's just me.  Here's how Dean says his balls compare to other famous brands:  https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup

By the way, they're selling two dozen balls at $27.99/dozen right now.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I think you're thinking of a different forum 

Hahaha, was my first thought as well.

I'm also in the 100-105 camp, though I hope to improve that, and pretty much played Snell MTB Black and MTB-X exclusively this past season. For me, the MTB-X was longer off the tee and had more spin on green-side shots, sort of a holy grail. I tend to have a negative attack angle with the driver, so the less spin off the tee worked well for me. The MTB-X definitely seems like a much firmer ball, I know that bothers some with putting, I don't notice it as much.

I'm surprised you lost distance off of the tee, but I suppose that's why everyone really needs to find what's best for them and not just what the Internet says is best...

• Like 4

When Ive tried Snell Ive found them to be longer than my ProV1 by 3-5 yards off the tee. I just didnt like the feel around the greens. Of course this was 2 years ago and I understand the greenside feel is much better. I see a soecial offer from Snell in my inbox so Im buying and trying since I never find them.on the course. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

I see a soecial offer from Snell in my inbox so Im buying and trying since I never find them.on the course. 

Don't sleep on that $27.99/dozen when you buy two offer.  You usually have to buy five dozen to get that price.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Don't sleep on that $27.99/dozen when you buy two offer.  You usually have to buy five dozen to get that price.

Email says 2+ dozen to get that price. False advertising?

11 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Limited time offer.  Not sure how long (I deleted the email, since I have 4 dozen sitting here already)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pulledabill said:

No, not false advertising.  Buy 2 or more dozen and that's the price.  That price also includes shipping and tax, so that's exactly what you'll pay in total.

I've played the Snell Black for a little over a year now.....LOVE IT. For the money....it's probably the best ball I've hit. To answer your question....I tried the X and didn't like it. Felt a little hard and "clicky" to me and definitely wasn't any longer for me over the black. 

Usually will play a ball I find on the course next against the snell (lots of ProV's and V1's, Bridgestone and Taylormades). Never had one out perform it.

• Like 1

I'm in the 105 group as well played bought Black just before X was released (needed balls 2 weeks before they shipped) and then got a sample pack after. I'm sure playing a consistent ball all season was a big improvement but found the X performed a little better especially around the greens. Didn't seem to notice to much different off the tee but being a slicer who puts a lot of backspin probably hides some of the results.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, pulledabill said:

I see a soecial offer from Snell in my inbox so Im buying and trying since I never find them.on the course. 

17 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

All the Snell ad copy calls it a HOLIDAY promo, so I’d expect it to last thru Christmas, but just a guess. This is the low season for golf for about half of us until Spring. And there’s no way you won’t get as good a deal or better on Black Friday-Cyber Monday.

The best price for MTBs used to be $25/dozen, but I think those days are gone. At $27.99/dozen, I know of no better value in tour quality golf balls - none.

After playing Titleist balls almost exclusively for 50 years, I switched to MTBs 3 years ago, and I didn’t lose any distance or approach spin. Great ball - I’m getting low so I’ll  be buying another 4-6 dozen on Black Friday.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Makes sense..I mis-read that originally.

• Like 1

Try it again. It shouldnt be shorter. I had a few issues this year with spin killing my drives. Too low spin dropping drives out of the air. I dont think it was the ball but my delivery, as is most problems. But ive played all the Snell’s since OG MyTourBall and have never found them shorter. MGS tested the MTBX as the longest. However, it may not be the ball for you.

Well tried them again today, both MTB black and the x. Both lost to q star tour and my Bridgestone b rx. Really wanted to like them, they both felt great just didn’t perform like the other 2. I am going to stock up on q star tours esp for $20 per dozen. Thanks guys and hit em straight.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I just ordered another 2 dozen MTB-X in yellow....even though I still have 4 dozen white MTB-X in standby.  They work great for me.  Just goes to show that just because a ball works well for one person, it may not work for the next.  

• Like 3

I've played several of the Snell balls and the MTB-X is,  in my view, the best of the lot. I usually play a Bridgestone 330-RX but find the Snell MTB-X is just as long, spins nicely and just "feels right". I also find it resists cuts and marking as well as any ball.

For the price point, with delivery to your mailbox, it's hard to beat. I just bought two dozen more.

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!

• Like 1

Doesn’t hurt there’s a great Black Friday discount in play. I just ordered 4 dozen MTBB’s at $25.99/doz and saved $28 over the regular low price. Sweet!

Edited by Middler