Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Snell golf balls

Jlender21

Ok guys need your help, I am looking for a new ball. I tried the mtb x a couple weeks ago and loved the feel but 10 yards shorter than the prov1 and b RX. My swing speed is 98-105, so not a huge hitter like most guys on here, do you think the black will be a better fit? I never have a problem stopping approach shots. Any info would be great thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Lender

Snell is a great ball, period.  If anything I've seen increased distance with the Snell ball compared to anything else.  The next balls I buy with my own money will be from Snell.  Several things you may not know about Snell is that the price you see on their website is what you will pay for the balls, including shipping, etc.  $32.99 is $32.99 charged to you.  And when your balls arrive you'll typically get a hand signed invoice receipt from Dean Snell thanking you for your support.

Snell is a great ball, and a great company.  Dean Snell is also a great interview, as he sat down with the folks here at MGS within the past month and gave some great and candid answers to all of their questions.  Bottom line, you can't go wrong with whatever Snell ball you decide to put into play.  

You can also try a trial pack from Snell that has several of their balls in it if you aren't sure what you think might work for you.  The trial pack just might help you decide.  Give them a try.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

The only way to know would be to try.  No one on here can tell you which ball will fit you better.  Personally, I like the MTB-X better than that Black and find it performs well and within my own variables with any of the premium balls costing nearly twice as much.  

When I determine what ball I prefer to play, I start from the green and work out.  For me, I prefer to know how it's going to perform on my approach shots, greenside wedge shots, and putter feel over distance off the tee.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

51 minutes ago, Jlender21 said:

My swing speed is 98-105,

Similar to mine

52 minutes ago, Jlender21 said:

not a huge hitter like most guys on here

I think you're thinking of a different forum 😉

I switched from the Pro V1X to the MTB-X with no loss of distance, but that's just me.  Here's how Dean says his balls compare to other famous brands:  https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup

By the way, they're selling two dozen balls at $27.99/dozen right now.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I think you're thinking of a different forum 

Hahaha, was my first thought as well.

I'm also in the 100-105 camp, though I hope to improve that, and pretty much played Snell MTB Black and MTB-X exclusively this past season. For me, the MTB-X was longer off the tee and had more spin on green-side shots, sort of a holy grail. I tend to have a negative attack angle with the driver, so the less spin off the tee worked well for me. The MTB-X definitely seems like a much firmer ball, I know that bothers some with putting, I don't notice it as much.

I'm surprised you lost distance off of the tee, but I suppose that's why everyone really needs to find what's best for them and not just what the Internet says is best...

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

When Ive tried Snell Ive found them to be longer than my ProV1 by 3-5 yards off the tee. I just didnt like the feel around the greens. Of course this was 2 years ago and I understand the greenside feel is much better. I see a soecial offer from Snell in my inbox so Im buying and trying since I never find them.on the course. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

53 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

I see a soecial offer from Snell in my inbox so Im buying and trying since I never find them.on the course. 

Don't sleep on that $27.99/dozen when you buy two offer.  You usually have to buy five dozen to get that price.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

5 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Don't sleep on that $27.99/dozen when you buy two offer.  You usually have to buy five dozen to get that price.

Email says 2+ dozen to get that price. False advertising?

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

image.png.62f9593bd900a46360a574679fb69b25.png

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

11 hours ago, pulledabill said:

Limited time offer.  Not sure how long (I deleted the email, since I have 4 dozen sitting here already)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

11 hours ago, pulledabill said:

No, not false advertising.  Buy 2 or more dozen and that's the price.  That price also includes shipping and tax, so that's exactly what you'll pay in total.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've played the Snell Black for a little over a year now.....LOVE IT. For the money....it's probably the best ball I've hit. To answer your question....I tried the X and didn't like it. Felt a little hard and "clicky" to me and definitely wasn't any longer for me over the black. 

Usually will play a ball I find on the course next against the snell (lots of ProV's and V1's, Bridgestone and Taylormades). Never had one out perform it.

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

I'm in the 105 group as well played bought Black just before X was released (needed balls 2 weeks before they shipped) and then got a sample pack after. I'm sure playing a consistent ball all season was a big improvement but found the X performed a little better especially around the greens. Didn't seem to notice to much different off the tee but being a slicer who puts a lot of backspin probably hides some of the results.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 11/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Makes sense..I mis-read that originally.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Try it again. It shouldnt be shorter. I had a few issues this year with spin killing my drives. Too low spin dropping drives out of the air. I dont think it was the ball but my delivery, as is most problems. But ive played all the Snell’s since OG MyTourBall and have never found them shorter. MGS tested the MTBX as the longest. However, it may not be the ball for you.

Well tried them again today, both MTB black and the x. Both lost to q star tour and my Bridgestone b rx. Really wanted to like them, they both felt great just didn’t perform like the other 2. I am going to stock up on q star tours esp for $20 per dozen. Thanks guys and hit em straight.

Jonathan Lender

Meanwhile, I just ordered another 2 dozen MTB-X in yellow....even though I still have 4 dozen white MTB-X in standby.  They work great for me.  Just goes to show that just because a ball works well for one person, it may not work for the next.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've played several of the Snell balls and the MTB-X is,  in my view, the best of the lot. I usually play a Bridgestone 330-RX but find the Snell MTB-X is just as long, spins nicely and just "feels right". I also find it resists cuts and marking as well as any ball.

For the price point, with delivery to your mailbox, it's hard to beat. I just bought two dozen more.

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!

Driver - Taylormade M6; 10.5 Degrees - Diamana BF50R shaft.

Fairway Woods - Tour Exotics (3 Wood) CBX119 EvenFlow Project X 5.5R Tour Exotics (4 Wood) XCG7; Fujikura 50R shaft.

Hybrids - PING G (19,22 and 26 Degree lofts.)

Irons - Mizuno MX300 (7-GW)

Wedges - Cleveland RTX4 (54 and 58 degree)

Putter - Pyramid Altec Series AZ-11

Ball - Bridgestone 330-RTX or Calloway Tour iz

I played Snell MTB Blacks earlier this year and theyre a very good ball.  Theyre long off the driver, they spin well off the wedge, they feel soft off the putter and the cover on them seems pretty durable for what they are.

My only real beef with Snell is that they arent convenient.  You have to plan ahead when you will need balls, instead of just going to a big box store.  Even then, sometimes the MTBs are out of stock.  Granted, you can buy them on Amazon and get them in 2 days but then you arent really saving any money.

Also, unless you are buying the MTBs, you really arent saving much money.  I looked into the Get Sum after I used up all of the MTBs that I had but they really arent any cheaper than Pinnacles (and Pinnacles are made in the USA).

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

10 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

My only real beef with Snell is that they arent convenient.  You have to plan ahead when you will need balls, instead of just going to a big box store. 

They're only inconvenient if you're only buying a dozen at a time.  Maximum savings is by buying 5 dozen at a time (although the holiday savings going on right now are even better).  When you see you're running low, you buy more.  Always have balls sitting in your golf locker (garage, house, etc).  How is that not convenient?    Yes, if you're not playing premium golf balls, it's another story with regards to savings and I can understand how buying locally might make more sense.  But, if you're paying $45 a dozen at the big box store rather than planning ahead, well....  😄 

They're only inconvenient if you're only buying a dozen at a time.  Maximum savings is by buying 5 dozen at a time (although the holiday savings going on right now are even better).  When you see you're running low, you buy more.  Always have balls sitting in your golf locker (garage, house, etc).  How is that not convenient?    Yes, if you're not playing premium golf balls, it's another story with regards to savings and I can understand how buying locally might make more sense.  But, if you're paying $45 a dozen at the big box store rather than planning ahead, well....   
Well the main question is how often do you golf can you wait 2 days to get it delivered? This may be much more convenient depending on your proximity to a big box.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

2 hours ago, pozzit said:

Well the main question is how often do you golf can you wait 2 days to get it delivered? This may be much more convenient depending on your proximity to a big box.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How many golf balls do you lose a day that you can't order new ones before you run out?  😄 😄 😄 

I jumped on the Black Friday deal and got both the MTB and the MTB-X (puts them at Maxfli cost). Played nine today, able to hit one of each type through the round. Lost two of the MTB-X and still have the Black. Makes me go 🤔

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Was one of the Snell MTB X testers. Liked the golf ball very much. Had a feel issue around the green, real or imagined doesn't matter. It was there for me. Liked the ball, wanted to love it, just couldn't. Played the Titleist Tour soft, like them didn't love them. Played the last month or so of our season with Pro V's. Liked better, I guess, still not in love. Was a Bridgestone E guy for a bit. Thought they progressively got stone like. From the original E6's to the newer ones. Played the E12's........no go for  me.......Think either I'm getting fussier or senile in my old age........but I ain't giving up !!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

• 4 months later...

I've been playing Snell MTB, then MTB Blacks exclusively for at least three years, my favorite ball at any price. And things like this reaction (from MGS front page) to the Covid-19 shutdown make me all the more loyal.

Dean Snell: “That first week, we saw orders slow down a decent amount,” he says. “I told my employees the other day that everybody has a job and will have a job. I’m not laying anybody off. I’ll take two or three months of no pay to keep our people. They work hard and have done a great job building this company. For me, that loyalty is important.”

I have 3+ dozen on hand, so I assume they'll be available when I'm ready to order another 4 dozen.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I saw the great reviews on here and other places, bought a dozen and got a nice signed letter from Dean Snell with my MTB-X balls.  I un-boxed and played a few, but I noticed some balls had a visible seam across them.  On some balls it was more noticeable than others.  I dumped them into my shag bag and went back to my old standbys.  Was hoping this would be a cheaper alternative but after seeing the seam, I just lost confidence in them.  I didn't play them enough to tell you if it caused any issue but I cannot imagine it wouldn't to some degree.

image.png.e1deea1c4c3f4b9896f9d14f81e7a4e7.png TS2 8.5 driver

image.png.93b75925490f7a0eb5b400f474d8df4e.png XR Fwy 4wd

image.png.7b10aa274daf923f1627ae25fa277109.png Hybrids 3i, 4i

image.png.ec21a99109a9b6ec7da534bb04e53057.png Irons 4-PW

image.png.b0e8ffea281016fe33e729f05a9a3865.pngWedges 52, 58

image.png.7288864ba335873cacc3836b6773c75d.png White Hot #5

image.png

I normally play ProVx and tried a few dozen Snell MTBx.   These balls are extremely similar for me.  Both launch a bit higher, especially on the 5-8 irons.   

Over the past three months,  I have slipped out for nine holes by myself and played four balls; two ProVx and two MTBx.   I cannot tell  the different off the tee, full shots into greens or touch shots around the green .   

By the way, both the ProVx and MTBx feel a bit hard for me for chipping and putting..

I think the Snell balls present a great value with top performance.

TS2 Driver 16.5 degree fairway metal

918 19/23 hybrid

Apex 21 Irons Nippon NS Pro Modus3

Vokey Wedges 54/58

Cameron Newport Select mallet

MyGolfSpy junkie since 2017

3 hours ago, TC-KS Golfer said:

I saw the great reviews on here and other places, bought a dozen and got a nice signed letter from Dean Snell with my MTB-X balls.  I un-boxed and played a few, but I noticed some balls had a visible seam across them.  On some balls it was more noticeable than others.  I dumped them into my shag bag and went back to my old standbys.  Was hoping this would be a cheaper alternative but after seeing the seam, I just lost confidence in them.  I didn't play them enough to tell you if it caused any issue but I cannot imagine it wouldn't to some degree.

You might be interested to read what Dean Snell has to say about the seam here:

https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/golf-ball-seams-do-they-change-performance

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia