Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

ClubCorp PlayAway Membership

HardcoreLooper

Hey there spies, are there any other PlayAway members here in the forum?  Another member just asked me about it.  

I've found it to be a pretty good value at $50/month.  I travel quite a bit for work, frequently by car so I have my clubs with me.  So far this year, I've played:

• Danville (VA) Country Club - A great little Donald Ross course that was incredibly fun to play.  Basically had the course to myself on a Tuesday evening.  I paid $15 (cart fees).  Not open to the public, no idea what guest fees are.
  • Pinehurst #9 - It's not #2 or #4, but it's not a bad course.  It's in good shape, and my buddies and I had fun.  I've played it twice for $35 (cart fees) and brought three guests who paid $85.  The rack rate was $275 the first time I played and $235 the second time.  If you include what I saved my pals, it basically paid for itself right here.
  • Greenbrier Country Club (Chesapeake, VA) - It's a Rees Jones course in a housing development.  That said, Allie (my daughter) and I had a good time.  I paid $40 on a Sunday afternoon for the two of us (Allie is considered a member as well).  Not open to the public, no idea what guest fees are.

Upcoming plays:

• Currituck Club (Corolla, NC) - Haven't played here in ages, but I remember it being a great course.  I'll be paying $50 for Allie and myself to play.  My buddy and his son will be paying $50 each.  Rack rate for a Friday in November is $60.  I'm looking forward to playing this place during their high season when they're up over $100.
  • Dunes West / Rivertowne / Charleston National / Snee Farm / Seabrook Island (Charleston, SC) - I doubt I'll be playing all of these, but we'll be down in Charleston for a week at Christmas.  At the very least, Allie and I will be playing Dunes West with my dad.  
  • Nags Head Links (Nags Head, NC) - We go to the Outer Banks every year for Allie's spring break, and we usually play all of our golf at SeaScape (where we have our timeshare).  Now I'll get to mix in Nags Head Links and Currituck Club.  It'll be nice to play far better courses for the same price we pay at SeaScape.

So what else should I check out?  If you're a member of a ClubCorp course that we should check out, let me know as well.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Thanks for the heads up @HardcoreLooper. In my area, I could play 3 different courses a month, including Firestone, on a rotating basis within the confines of the membership, which is a great deal. $65 a month and they waive the $1,000 initiation fee.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Recently joined Firestone - even though I live in New Hampshire. Ohio is part of my territory for the Day Job and non-resident membership, including ClubCorp, was surprisingly affordable. Hope to get out there enough to make it worth it - and host some customers so they feel the love. 

Closer to home, the Ipswich CC is only 40 minutes away, so I've played that three times so far. The Ridge Club on Cape Cod is supposed to be magnificent, and I've played Ledgemont in Seekonk, MA once and really enjoyed it. 

Also get discounted greens fees to the International in Bolton, MA.

Travels have brought me to the Green Bay CC in Wisconsin - an absolute gem, and the East Lake Woodlands CC in Tampa, also a very good course, as is Bay Oaks in Houston. May head to either LA or Phoenix in mid-December, we'll see what's available out there.

Love to hear from other Club Corp'ers with recommendations!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

13 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

The Ridge Club on Cape Cod is supposed to be magnificent

I've heard the same.  Can't wait to play it at some point.  I've finally gotten my wife to see the logic of getting out of the South for summer vacation.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Well, that's out. Reading the fine print, it's for travelling only and you can't play any course within a 100 miles radius of your residence or workplace. Still thinking about a Firestone membership after next year though.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

On 11/14/2019 at 7:22 AM, MattF said:

Well, that's out. Reading the fine print, it's for travelling only and you can't play any course within a 100 miles radius of your residence or workplace. Still thinking about a Firestone membership after next year though.

Yeah, it's really nice if you travel, either as a standalone membership or as an add-on if you belong to a ClubCorp course.  There's a ClubCorp club around the corner from me, but I don't really like the course much.  

It's a very niche thing, but it really works well with some decent courses in locations I visit frequently.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I have been a happy member for almost two years now.  I travel a lot for work and vacation so I have had the opportunity to play a lot of nice tracks and enjoy a number of complimentary meals along the way. 

This year alone I have played Las Colinas in Dallas, Alamance CC (Donald Ross course) in Burlington NC, Firestone CC (North and South), the Ridge Club on the Cape, Engineers CC on Long Island, and Norbeck CC (Alfred Tull course) outside of Washington DC in Maryland.  I may have one round left in me as I will probably travel to Arizona.

A comment to Barbajo.  The Ridge Club is very nice, treat yourself to a caddie or forecaddie the first time you play.  Not my favorite track as I felt some of the holes did not fit the land or there was too much mounding.  But a fun round.  I do spend some time up in Boston but have not played Ipswich.  Would like to hear your thoughts on it as I do need to play it next time I am up.   Ledgemont  (Alfred Tull course) in Seekonk is a very fine course and I have played that twice.  If you like the classic courses like Ledgemont, try Norbeck CC outside of Maryland.  Same architect and the back nine is simply awesome.  Please note that we have two Tull courses at my home club (not Clubcorp) so I am a bit biased.

One important point to make to newer Travel Away members; play the affiliated courses that you desire as soon as you can as they may leave the network.  Last year I wanted to play Omni Bedford Springs and as I was making the tee time they left the network.  They seem to come and go.  Engineers was may favorite course this year and they are affiliated.  If you like the classic courses they way I do, get out there to Engineers, one of the best.

I know we focus on golf here but one of the best aspects to the Travel Away program is the complimentary dining.  Take advantage of this and visit the dining/city clubs.   Have not had a bad meal yet at any of the ClubCorp facilities, and I have visited 14 of them. 

Haven’t taken advantage of any of the dining clubs yet - hope to knock off a few in the coming months.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed Cannongate in Atlanta. (Really close to the airport and the people are very friendly and the course was fun)

Bishops Bay in Madison, Wi is another great track.

Gleneagles in Dallas...love the bar in the men’s locker room but the Kings course was very difficult.

Stonebriar in Dallas was a ton of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Got to play Indian Wells and Mission Hills in Palm Springs - both were fun. The 9th at the Classic Course at Indian Wells is kind of silly - a large part of the fairway is actually in a drainage culvert (that's not why I double-bogeyed it, but still a silly hole) - but the overall course is very nice. 

Played the Dinah Shore course at Mission Hills and loved it - parring 18 is an achievement. 

Question for other Club Corp types - they're offering a free 3 months worth of Founders Club membership. Anyone have it? Is it worth doing?

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 8 months later...

After leaving a clubcorp affiliated CC, we joined the Play Away program only to find out that 2 of the 3 places we like to play near Orange County, CA (we have family there) are no longer on the list of clubs we can play (Coto de Caza and Old Ranch).   When did this happen?  

Are those courses not owned/run by ClubCorp?  I've noticed that the non-affiliated clubs move in and out of the program with some frequency.  

The membership has been a complete bust for me this year, since I'm not traveling for work.  However, there are two nice courses on the Outer Banks (NC) that are in the program, so I'm sticking it out for now.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking into it based on this thread. I'm checking with ClubCorp to see if the Palm Desert and San Diego clubs are playable as complementary rounds for me. If they are, it would seem like a great deal for me as I can always sneak out for a Sunday afternoon round twice a month (even if it is a 1.5 hour drive) and that would wind up only being $30 a round. If my family could use the club facilities while I play (like the pool) that would be even better.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

@Cory O - Sounds like it would be a good deal for you.  Not sure if your family can use the facilities, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could.  I'm sure ClubCorp would be happy to let you know.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 1 month later...

Play away has change the rules. Now you can only play twice in one month. It use to be twice per club per month. Now you can only play before 12 o’clock on Fridays, Saturdays you can’t play at all, on Sundays you can’t play until after 12 and only play Monday through Thursday throughout the day.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:50 PM, DaveGolf said:

Play away has change the rules. Now you can only play twice in one month. It use to be twice per club per month. Now you can only play before 12 o’clock on Fridays, Saturdays you can’t play at all, on Sundays you can’t play until after 12 and only play Monday through Thursday throughout the day.

Wow.  When did they announce this?  Since I'm not traveling for work now, the one thing keeping me in the program is the courses they have in the Outer Banks of NC, and the fact that I'd be able to play four times in a week.  With all these restrictions, I don't see much reason to keep my membership.  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Man I would have joined pre covid when I was on the road 60% of the year. Too late now. 

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 2 years later...

A friend of mine joined this when his club was temporarily shut down during Covid. He lives in NJ and I am from Ohio originally and now live in Michigan. WE have played Firestone a number of times and all of the clubs in the Cleveland/Akron Area. All have been good and each comes with something extra (except Firestone) when you bring a guest. One had 2 drinks each and another came with lunch. In Michigan, there are only 3 on the list. TPC Michigan, which is good and Oakhurst are good as well. There are some exceptions. We were not able to play Firestone -South (Where the tour played) unless we stayed on property. During a trip to Pinehurst we also were able to play some of those as well, but we were with a member, so we had gotten better pricing

Carry Bag - :titleist-small: Hybrid 14

Cart Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 (Bought in Apr '23)

Driver - :callaway-small: Epic Flash equipped with a Mitsubishi TENSEI AV 65 Stiff shaft

3w - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft 

Hybrid (3 high loft) - :taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 equipped with :taylormade-small:Matrix Ozik Rul 80h shaft

Irons - :callaway-small: X-Hot Pro 4-W equipped with Rifle ProjectX95 6.5 shaft

Wedges - :titleist-small: :vokey-small: 48*, 52*, 56* equipped with True Temper shafts

Putter - :titleist-small: :scotty-small: Fastback Select 1.5 equipped with mid size super stroke grip. Weighted 15g in toe and heel

Ball - :titleist-small: Pro V1

All other clubs are gripped with Golf Pride mid size tour wrap grips with 2 layers of tape