TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping G400LST Cracked!!!

DannyDips

I nearly broke into tears Monday when after three swings on the driving range (the last sounding a little funny) and on the third hole I pulled the headcover off my G400 LST to see this on the top of the crown. 

Good news: PING already has me a replacement on the way but they are OUT of G400 LST so they are sending me a G410 LST.

Which is pretty awesome but I'm curious if anyone who played the 400 and switched to the 410 what changes they might have seen or felt. Just curious what some of you spies might have noticed between the two models.

Also, you might be able to see from the picture but that top crown is insanely thin. They say it's the width of two pieces of paper. Pretty impressive engineering to move the weight around like that in the head. 

ping crack.jpg

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

That's not the first G400 driver I've seen crack somewhere.  And yeah, PING is really good at making good on something like this.

Funny you mentioned it, but I've had friends hand me their G410 driver and let me hit it, and honestly, I'm not a fan of the 410, compared to my G400 clubs.  The feel of it is a lot harder, and I just hit the G400 a lot better.  Granted, both 410s that I hit were stiff shaft, which does not work for me, but the feel was way off for my tastes.

I would imagine though that with the proper shaft in your replacement that you'll be fine.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Wowzers.  Dial back the swing speed from 200 MPH to 124mph. LOL.  Wow.  Crazy how thin that is.  Incredible.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Not surprised, Ping has great Customer Service like many of the top OEM’s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I haven't seen any of the 400's do that. I have the M6 and that has happened once already. I think this is the nature of the CF crowns now. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Dang, that is a serious crack!  I think you'll love the G410 and would bet that if you speak with PING they'll switch you back to a G400 if it does not work out and they have them back in stock.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 3 weeks later...

Odd that the factory is out of the 400’s. I know a few guys that preferred their 400 over the 410. The 400 LST is a 440 I think, and I wonder if the 410 LST is a 460?

I don’t think the 400 LST will be going out of style for a long time... it’s just one of those clubs they got right the first time...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

17 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Odd that the factory is out of the 400’s. I know a few guys that preferred their 400 over the 410. The 400 LST is a 440 I think, and I wonder if the 410 LST is a 460?

I don’t think the 400 LST will be going out of style for a long time... it’s just one of those clubs they got right the first time...

Not surprising that Ping is out of the G400 LST given that the G410 line replaced it 10 months ago (even though the G410 LST was released later) and the likelihood that they probably produced less of the LST vs the other two versions. It is better for Ping to cut production earlier rather than stock up in case of warranty replacement because A) less older inventory to potentially get stuck with and B) most people are fine with receiving a newer version as a replacement anyways. 

Worst case scenario for the OP is to sell the G410 LST if he doesn't like it and buy a used/NOS G400 LST (and likely have a little $ left over). 

Size difference between the two LST versions is negligible:

400 LST = 445cc vs 410 LST = 450cc

Edited by storm319

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Grand Finauly said:

Mine cracked in exactly the same spot... I don’t want the 410 personally. Plus I have an upgraded GD Ad shaft. Ugh! I’ve broken more pings than any other manufacturer, but ping has always made good on it.. this will be tough since they changed their tip in the 410.

If the give you a new G410 as a replacement, sell it and buy another G400.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 1:40 AM, Rickp said:

Not surprised, Ping has great Customer Service like many of the top OEM’s.

Yeah they do have great customer service and what makes this great is ping return policy for 30 days for easy return and refund to save money and benefit. 

Edited by bayslarry

Wow sorry to hear about the crack but great that they replace it and with a newer model. Not so good that a few people here have the same experience of cracking but good it is always replaced with a newer model.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

I should probably circle back and say PING took great care of the situation. Brand new G410LST. I will have to say first two weeks with the new driver, I missed the G400 badly but now after a few months (hitting it almost every day on my skytrak in the garage), I'm super happy with the G410LST. I can't honestly tell much difference forgiveness or distance but it does have quite a bit of ability to tweek the weights and lofts over the G400. Excellent club, excellent company, I couldn't be happier. 

I should probably circle back and say PING took great care of the situation. Brand new G410LST. I will have to say first two weeks with the new driver, I missed the G400 badly but now after a few months (hitting it almost every day on my skytrak in the garage), I'm super happy with the G410LST. I can't honestly tell much difference forgiveness or distance but it does have quite a bit of ability to tweek the weights and lofts over the G400. Excellent club, excellent company, I couldn't be happier. 

Good companies have good customer service
I have the 410 plus and still happy.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...

I had the face crack on a G400 LST.  I "luvvvvved" that driver.  Ping replaced it with a new G410 LST (great customer service!).  I am still trying to get it dialed in, but it looks promising.  The distance seems comparable or even a little better at times, but I feel like I have to swing more aggressive to get the results that I was getting from my G400 LST.  I feel like the MOI is lower, as I hit this head higher, but that could just be in my head.  LOL  It is probably all about confidence.  

:ping-small:       Driver:  G410 LST 9 +1 Flat w/Tour AD DI 6X Orange

:taylormade-small:  3 Metal:   M2 13 degree w/Tour AD DJ 7X Orange

:titelist-small:          Hybrid:  818 21 

:mizuno-small:        4-PW:  MP 20  w/Dynamic Gold X100

:mizuno-small:        Wedges: 50-54-58: Mizuno MP T20 w/DG S400

:whitlam-golf-1:    Putter:  Joseph SS303 w/Super Stroke Fatso 5.0

:Snell:  Ball:  MTB Black

:1590477705_SunMountain: C130 S    🇺🇸    :skycaddie:

7 hours ago, Gman24 said:

I had the face crack on a G400 LST.  I "luvvvvved" that driver.  Ping replaced it with a new G410 LST (great customer service!).  I am still trying to get it dialed in, but it looks promising.  The distance seems comparable or even a little better at times, but I feel like I have to swing more aggressive to get the results that I was getting from my G400 LST.  I feel like the MOI is lower, as I hit this head higher, but that could just be in my head.  LOL  It is probably all about confidence.  

I have only tested both on sims and I have to agree, the G400 just felt easier to bomb vs the G410. No idea why but just the same experience. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I went for a club fitting (my irons are 14 years old) yesterday, the Trackman readings showed me losing 20 MPH of ball speed vs. expected ball speed using swing speed, smash factor, etc.  We are going to retest it in a couple weeks and try it against one of the test heads.    I'll report back then.  

On 5/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, Gman24 said:

I thought the same thing at first. I believe it is 5 cc bigger and while that might seem strange to be able to tell, I did feel like there was a difference. After 6 months with the G410 LST I actually prefer it to the G400 LST. I'd say at this point the cons are non existent and the pros are slight, which you can expect from a generation newer driver. 

• 2 months later...

I have an issue with my club face having a hairline crack on the face of the club, toe side of center.  I play the normal G400 9degree.  Been working with driver a lot lately trying to shot shape, but never thought the face would break.  I played the g10 for almost ten years with no problem.  but decided to replace it so I could get more distance off the tee.  Has anyone else had this problem?

On 8/7/2020 at 9:42 PM, Sherm said:

I have an issue with my club face having a hairline crack on the face of the club, toe side of center.  I play the normal G400 9degree.  Been working with driver a lot lately trying to shot shape, but never thought the face would break.  I played the g10 for almost ten years with no problem.  but decided to replace it so I could get more distance off the tee.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I did with the G30. Call PING. They'll tell you to take it to a Golf Galaxy (or similar) for inspection and then they'll replace it.

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2020 at 2:42 AM, Sherm said:

I’ve had the same thing, twice. I have the g400 lst and Ping replaced it last year as I had 3 hairline fractures in the toe. This week I’ve noticed the exact same thing happen the the replacement head so sending it back today.

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 10:10 AM, JeffJeff said:

I’ve had the same thing, twice. I have the g400 lst and Ping replaced it last year as I had 3 hairline fractures in the toe. This week I’ve noticed the exact same thing happen the the replacement head so sending it back today.

I had two G400 LSTs crack and the G410 LST that Ping sent just got a hairline fracture on the toe side of the face.  They have been good about replacing, but it is a bit concerning.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:55 AM, DannyDips said:

I nearly broke into tears Monday when after three swings on the driving range (the last sounding a little funny) and on the third hole I pulled the headcover off my G400 LST to see this on the top of the crown. 

Good news: PING already has me a replacement on the way but they are OUT of G400 LST so they are sending me a G410 LST.

Which is pretty awesome but I'm curious if anyone who played the 400 and switched to the 410 what changes they might have seen or felt. Just curious what some of you spies might have noticed between the two models.

Also, you might be able to see from the picture but that top crown is insanely thin. They say it's the width of two pieces of paper. Pretty impressive engineering to move the weight around like that in the head. 

ping crack.jpg

What ball do you game? What is your swing speed? What flex shaft do you use?

Curiosity has me

On 12/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, Gman24 said:

I had two G400 LSTs crack and the G410 LST that Ping sent just got a hairline fracture on the toe side of the face.  They have been good about replacing, but it is a bit concerning.

What ball do you game? What is your swing speed? What flex shaft do you use?

I'm curious

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 1/1/2021 at 12:13 PM, Buffly said:

Curiosity has me

I'm curious

I prefer the Snell MTB Black.  I have tried the Bridgestone Tour BX.  My typical "game" swing speed is about 108-110.  The driver that just cracked sounded and "acted" weird from the first ball.  I am thinking that I just had a "luck of the draw" bad head with that one.  Ping is sending a replacement.

26 minutes ago, Gman24 said:

I prefer the Snell MTB Black.  I have tried the Bridgestone Tour BX.  My typical "game" swing speed is about 108-110.  The driver that just cracked sounded and "acted" weird from the first ball.  I am thinking that I just had a "luck of the draw" bad head with that one.  Ping is sending a replacement.

Glad to hear Ping is replacing it!

You definitely have a good swing speed and are gaming good quality balls. 

You're probably right that it was just a defective head. 

I have known friends who have cracked heads with their 125-130mph swing speed and a friend that is around 90mph so it isn't always speed. Off-center strikes were usually the culprit. 

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

On 1/1/2021 at 11:13 AM, Buffly said:

Curiosity has me

I'm curious

When I cracked it I was using Srixion XV or Pro V1. Swing Speed with Driver is about 110-115 mph. X Stiff shafts tyipcally.

Sorry for the long span between replies. 

Just an update on the Driver. I've had the G410 plus for almost a year now. Pretty sure I'm going to be trying to swap it out for a G410 LST. 

9 hours ago, DannyDips said:

When I cracked it I was using Srixion XV or Pro V1. Swing Speed with Driver is about 110-115 mph. X Stiff shafts tyipcally.

Sorry for the long span between replies. 

Interesting. Definitely a higher speed player problem more than me, 😉

12 hours ago, Buffly said:

Interesting. Definitely a higher speed player problem more than me, 😉

Ha Ha. I'd love to think I actually did something to crack it but its honestly probably a minor defect in the crown. You can see from the pic that crown is paper thin. I really miss that G400 LST, They sent a G410 Plus as a replacement but to be honest after using it for a little over a year I'd rather have the 400 back. I'll probably talk to the Golf Pro that fit me and see if he has any left over head or perhaps hunt on the eBay. I loved the shaft but the head just doesn't feel that same.