TESTERS WANTED! ×

Billy Mayfair

revkev

Did anybody catch his DQ from a couple of weeks back?

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Read about this today.  Crazy story.  Seems like he lied and covered it up and then denied and then said 'I took ownership' LOL.  Kinda odd.  Seems like very odd behavior for a pro.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

33 minutes ago, B81Smith said:

Read about this today.  Crazy story.  Seems like he lied and covered it up and then denied and then said 'I took ownership' LOL.  Kinda odd.  Seems like very odd behavior for a pro.

He does have a checkered history. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

56 minutes ago, revkev said:

Did anybody catch his DQ from a couple of weeks back?

Wow!

I posted about it in the resurrected "Cheaters On Tour" thread.  I'm too lazy to start a new thread so, thanks for starting this one.  Here is the article.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/11/12/billy-mayfair-disqualification-champions-tour/

I guess there is a reason Tour players call him Willy Playfair.  This isn't going to help that reputation.  Two things from the article stand out to me and, in my opinion, speak to Mayfair's character.  

First, he offered the quote to the press afterward, "I wish this could have been handled more on an on-the-level basis. It could have been handled better."  When asked by whom?  Mayfair replied "by the rules officials.  They see me searching for the ball.  They know how long I'm looking for it.  They have a stopwatch and I don't."

It is incumbent upon the player to police himself during play.  He has nobody to blame but himself!

Second, when asked if he had ever called a penalty on himself in his 30 year career, he replied "Let me try and see, I think I have.  Well, I'll give you a perfect example.  I called that two shot penalty on myself on 17.  Once I saw the ball had moved, I said it moved.  So, yes, I believe I called it on myself."

In no way, shape or form does this remotely reflect what happened in reality!

Amazing the number of incidents about players not knowing the rules that have hit the media recently. Makes you wonder what isn’t being reported

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

26 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I posted about it in the resurrected "Cheaters On Tour" thread.  I'm too lazy to start a new thread so, thanks for starting this one.  Here is the article.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/11/12/billy-mayfair-disqualification-champions-tour/

I guess there is a reason Tour players call him Willy Playfair.  This isn't going to help that reputation.  Two things from the article stand out to me and, in my opinion, speak to Mayfair's character.  

First, he offered the quote to the press afterward, "I wish this could have been handled more on an on-the-level basis. It could have been handled better."  When asked by whom?  Mayfair replied "by the rules officials.  They see me searching for the ball.  They know how long I'm looking for it.  They have a stopwatch and I don't."

It is incumbent upon the player to police himself during play.  He has nobody to blame but himself!

Second, when asked if he had ever called a penalty on himself in his 30 year career, he replied "Let me try and see, I think I have.  Well, I'll give you a perfect example.  I called that two shot penalty on myself on 17.  Once I saw the ball had moved, I said it moved.  So, yes, I believe I called it on myself."

In no way, shape or form does this remotely reflect what happened in reality!

Yeah I'm sorry to have jumped you on that thread - I didn't think to look at the regular tour column because he's now on the Champions Tour. 

Regardless it's very sad.  He blames everyone for his rules violations but himself.  @Csnoil - it is frightening to me how many rules are being broken supposedly unwittingly - I'm kind of dumb founded by it actually.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Biggest takeaway from the article. He married a women named Tammy and lost a ton of money in a messy divorce. So he doubled down and married his second wife...Tami. There is a country song in there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

5 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Biggest takeaway from the article. He married a women named Tammy and lost a ton of money in a messy divorce. So he doubled down and married his second wife...Tami. There is a country song in there somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good thing about the 2nd wife having the same fist name as the first, he didn't have to change the names on the bank accounts 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ya know, all I could think about after reading this article was this clip from Caddyshack...

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Yeah I'm sorry to have jumped you on that thread - I didn't think to look at the regular tour column because he's now on the Champions Tour. 

Regardless it's very sad.  He blames everyone for his rules violations but himself.  @Csnoil - it is frightening to me how many rules are being broken supposedly unwittingly - I'm kind of dumb founded by it actually.

I'm afraid, given the amount of money being played for nowadays on all Tours, this behavior will become more commonplace.  It's much more difficult for aging players to maintain playing privileges and for young players to gain status of any kind and keep that status long enough to gain a footing.

I hope not but the stage is certainly set. 

I'm surprised to read this about Billy Mayfair. Not that I know him at all, but here's a story that might make you feel a little differently about him.

Back when Bethpage Black held its first US Open, I was standing behind the first green the morning of the Wednesday practice round. If you've ever played the Black, you know you walk off the green and down into a tunnel which takes you to the other side of Round Swamp Rd.

Well Mayfair and his playing partners sign a few items after they finished putting, and proceed toward the tunnel. Billy's caddy is handing him a bottle of water and we hear a young kid call out "can you sign my hat?" Now all Mayfair has to do is take one more step and he's gone from view. Instead, he stopped, put down the water bottle, and walked back 20 yards to sign the kid's hat. He didn't have to do that, but he did, and I always remembered and followed his career because of that incident.

BTW All the players seemed very nice, especially Faldo, Cink, and Sergio, who was super nice, which made me a fan of his also. (that was the Open where the NY fans rode him mercilessly for milking the grip of his club.)

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

All this coming out lately on cheating has floored me. Maybe I lived in a shell most of my life. My old man who was a pro taught me integrity and always remain above reproach in golf as well as life. He also taught me to "square my actions" before doing anything with my opponents especially in big money matches. Really I have never seen the opportunity to call a penalty on an opponent during my Mini Tour days. Everyone I played with was straight up as far as I saw. 

As far as the Sergio deal at Bethpage I sided with Sergio on that one. The fans were simply rude to him and were an embarrassment to the State of NY as well as America. Had I been in his position I would have told those guys. After this round see me and we will find an open course and play for 100 grand a hole and how many do you need up a side? Further more at the time had I been in charge no pro golf events would have been played in NY state for at least 5 years or how ever much time it took to get people under control. Of course sadly to say worse than that goes on at events everywhere now days. Ryder Cup events I have trouble getting geared up for. I mean I am an American true blue but I like and respect players on both sides after all I am a golf fan. On that hand I always stood up for Colin Montgomerie for some reason liked and respected him. Met him in real life a few years ago in Florida. Told him I was one American that stood up for him and I would be honored to buy him a Johnnie Walker Scotch. He took me up on that. found him to be a likable guy. As usual in his form he proposed a toast to " the only American who likes me" Got to chat with him some 15 minutes or so. For some reason I have always stood up for the person everyone picks on  

I can't like this post enough.  Having been born in New Jersey, I recognize the snobbery and arrogance oozing from that part of the world.  It's a fake privilege that says to the rest of the world, "We not only think we are better than you, but we KNOW we are."

At least, that's how they think up there, and anyone who doesn't totally agree with them gets treated like a 2nd or 3rd class person.

I would also venture to say that with extremely rare exception, most tour pros are the nicest, kindest people you will ever meet, no matter where they are from.  Sure, everyone has a bad day in life, and tour pros are no exception, but my personal experience in meeting them has always been very positive.

Thanks for posting your experiences @BIG STU

Edited by GSwag
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

4 hours ago, GSwag said:

I can't like this post enough.  Having been born in New Jersey, I recognize the snobbery and arrogance oozing from that part of the world.  It's a fake privilege that says to the rest of the world, "We not only think we are better than you, but we KNOW we are."

At least, that's how they think up there, and anyone who doesn't totally agree with them gets treated like a 2nd or 3rd class person.

I would also venture to say that with extremely rare exception, most tour pros are the nicest, kindest people you will ever meet, no matter where they are from.  Sure, everyone has a bad day in life, and tour pros are no exception, but my personal experience in meeting them has always been very positive.

Thanks for posting your experiences @BIG STU

I know for a fact not everyone from NJ acts like their poop does not smell but a majority do. I do have a couple of friends from NJ that are decent folk. But yes I have put up with them from my trucking days and now my days living in a tourist mecca world. I am easy going and get along with anyone as long as they act like human beings. But on another hand do not get me riled. I will not put up with their mess ( or anyone's for that matter) and will fly back hard and fast in a heartbeat. It throws them off that someone will fly back on them. I will tell them in a heartbeat that I am a Southern Born and bred redneck from North Charlotte NC and can be their worst nightmare. That usually stops them in their tracks. Like I say I do not relish acting like that but can turn it on in a flash

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 11/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, cnosil said:

Amazing the number of incidents about players not knowing the rules that have hit the media recently. Makes you wonder what isn’t being reported

I wonder if players in the Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus eras got away with things today's players, with seemingly cameras on them 24/7, do not - intentional or unintentional? 🤔

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I wonder if players in the Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus eras got away with things today's players, with seemingly cameras on them 24/7, do not - intentional or unintentional? 🤔

I never saw it first hand but it has been said that the gallery back in those days were known to throw some of the popular players errant shots back into play. Now this part is bad and I heard it first hand from Charlie Sifford and Lee Elder that in those days the gallery was prone to step on and try to bury an errant ball of the African American players. As far as outright deliberate cheating by the players themselves I would say no. Because the world and golf then had some scruples and integrity

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Sam Snead was not a pleasant person.  At least not in his later years when I was around him a few times professionally.  I will leave it at that!

22 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I never saw it first hand but it has been said that the gallery back in those days were known to throw some of the popular players errant shots back into play. Now this part is bad and I heard it first hand from Charlie Sifford and Lee Elder that in those days the gallery was prone to step on and try to bury an errant ball of the African American players. As far as outright deliberate cheating by the players themselves I would say no. Because the world and golf then had some scruples and integrity

I have heard similar stories of fans hindering or helping players.  One thing for sure if you happened to be among the less popular players back then is that you had lots of motivation to keep everything in the short grass and in plain sight 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

That’s bad but I believe what they said.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have heard similar stories of fans hindering or helping players.  One thing for sure if you happened to be among the less popular players back then is that you had lots of motivation to keep everything in the short grass and in plain sight 🙂

LOL and I am going to quote this from one good friend of mine who said it tongue in cheek. This guy's name was James Black and he is African American. He said "back in those days if you were black you better learn to keep the ball in the middle of the fairway" Told me he learned "pretty damn fast"

G

• 2 years later...