TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Trip, which one and why?

bens197

My wife knows I turned down a round at Winged Foot and Bethpage last summer. I’m a pretty good dad and have chosen to always put my family ahead of any of my activities.

Recently, we discussed bucket list trips and I had told her about some golf destinations, namely Cabot Links.

We agreed that we should look for some trips where I could golf and we could all still travel as a family. My wife isn’t a golfer but I’d love to see her pick up some clubs and give it a shot.

We’d travel and find some things to do along the way and enjoy several points rather than a single destination.

So, if the choice was yours, which of these would you choose?

Cabot

Whistling Straits

Brandon Dunes

Pinehurst

Pebble Beach (she loved the spa and resort)

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have done Pinehurst and Pebble Beach with my wife (not a golfer) and there was enough at both for her to do while I was on the course. Whistling and abandon are more golf centric trips that I would prefer to do as a guys trip or with my son. We are actually planning a full family trip to Pinehurst in the spring so my son and I can play golf while the girls enjoy all that Carolina has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I'll speak to the two places I have been. Pebble & Bandon.

Bandon offers next to nothing for non-golfer. Nor is there much within driving distance to explore.

Pebble on the other hand has numerous opportunities for the family to enjoy. Not just at the facility but in Carmel/Monterrey are itself. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

We have family in the Bay Area and a trip to Monterey between seeing them is a good reason to visit. Thanks for the tips so far@jmikecpa@thezipr23

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I just got back from a company retreat in Pinehurst.  I highly recommend it as a destination.  It is a beautiful part of the state, there are enough high quality golf courses to make your head spin; coupled with great food and some pretty good beer to boot.  The spa is highly touted by those that have used it.  If your wife likes quaint little towns, then she will have a couple of days worth of exploring within walking or driving distance of the resort. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Go to Orlando.  Drop the kids at Disney and go play any number of courses in and around Orlando that are more than enough to classify as a bucket list trip.  Better yet, just play the Disney courses while the family abuses themselves in long lines at any of the Disney parks.

Frankly, if you punted on rounds at Winged Foot and Bethpage, I'd tell you in person what I've told several friends who like to golf but have children still in the house.  Be a Dad now, and cherish all the time you can with your kids while they are still under your roof.  Golf will still be here once they are gone and don't know you exist anymore, outside of you being an ATM card for every time they need money.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Cabot

Whistling Straits

Brandon Dunes

Pinehurst

Pebble Beach (she loved the spa and resort)

I've been to Kohler and Pinehurst, and had a great time.  I agree with some of the others, there's not a lot to do in Kohler for the family, once they get past the plumbing showroom (which is actually worth an hour or two).  I LOVE Pinehurst, but I'm not sure there's a ton to do there either, although I understand that the spa at the Pinehurst Resort is pretty posh.  I'd suggest something like Kiawah Island or Hilton Head.  Beach for everyone, I'm 99% sure there are spa options, nice historic cities nearby, and obviously a ton of golf options.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, GSwag said:

Frankly, if you punted on rounds at Winged Foot and Bethpage, I'd tell you in person what I've told several friends who like to golf but have children still in the house.  Be a Dad now, and cherish all the time you can with your kids while they are still under your roof.  Golf will still be here once they are gone and don't know you exist anymore, outside of you being an ATM card for every time they need money.

I wish I could love this more. I completely agree and selfishly, I’d rather be home with family and my daughter and dog than be away. It’s true, the time goes quickly. 

Thanks 😊

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've been to Kohler and Pinehurst, and had a great time.  I agree with some of the others, there's not a lot to do in Kohler for the family, once they get past the plumbing showroom (which is actually worth an hour or two).  I LOVE Pinehurst, but I'm not sure there's a ton to do there either, although I understand that the spa at the Pinehurst Resort is pretty posh.  I'd suggest something like Kiawah Island or Hilton Head.  Beach for everyone, I'm 99% sure there are spa options, nice historic cities nearby, and obviously a ton of golf options.

I didn’t even think of Hilton Head Island...and that’s a days drive away. That would be ideal. 

Wife loves the spas and I can’t blame her. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Hilton Head. Tons of courses. The best place in the world. 
If you can get on Haig Pointe. That place is incredible. Bentley Hall is excellent. Old South. Port Royal. RTJ courses. So many great golf courses. Plus the beach For the family. Also Harbour Town. My favorite place to visit 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I second Kiawah.  You can golf at multiple courses and she can hit up Charleston.  That city is gorgeous, the people are friendly and the food scene is to die for.  Look into it, I am sure you wont be disappointed.  I will also say I go to Pinehurst every year, not sure there is too much to do for non golfers.  If you go alone, Pinehurst should be a top contender. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I second Kiawah.  You can golf at multiple courses and she can hit up Charleston.  That city is gorgeous, the people are friendly and the food scene is to die for.  Look into it, I am sure you wont be disappointed.  I will also say I go to Pinehurst every year, not sure there is too much to do for non golfers.  If you go alone, Pinehurst should be a top contender. 

Make that a third. I took my wife there every spring for close to a decade and we always had a blast. I played 36 a day and spent most nights in Charleston.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

5 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Make that a third. I took my wife there every spring for close to a decade and we always had a blast. I played 36 a day and spent most nights in Charleston.

If you go back, make sure you eat at HUSK and The Tattooed Moose for the duck fat fries!!!  So good!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Go to Orlando.  Drop the kids at Disney and go play any number of courses in and around Orlando that are more than enough to classify as a bucket list trip.  Better yet, just play the Disney courses while the family abuses themselves in long lines at any of the Disney parks.

Disney great idea all the family can enjoy but DEFINITELY do Bethpage and or Wing Foot sometime

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Disney great idea all the family can enjoy but DEFINITELY do Bethpage and or Wing Foot sometime

I may know someone that has Bethpage in their back yard that could get him in with no issue.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

If you go back, make sure you eat at HUSK and The Tattooed Moose for the duck fat fries!!!  So good!

Duck Fat Fries!!
Can’t wait to tell the Bacon Boys about that
Road Trip

Rick

Left Hand, 

I may know someone that has Bethpage in their back yard that could get him in with no issue.

That would be a great experience for him. Something to experience at least once.
No friends at WF?
Everyone I knew in that area I’d deceased.

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Watching Sean Brock over the years (prior to his departure), all I can say is that Charleston cuisine looks incredible.   

49 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

I never put 2 + 2 together that they were so close to each other.  I think I can sell this one...

25 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Disney great idea all the family can enjoy but DEFINITELY do Bethpage and or Wing Foot sometimeemoji106.png

It will happen, this was one I hated passing on but it was the right thing at the time.

2 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

Hilton Head. Tons of courses. The best place in the world. 
If you can get on Haig Pointe. That place is incredible. Bentley Hall is excellent. Old South. Port Royal. RTJ courses. So many great golf courses. Plus the beach For the family. Also Harbour Town. My favorite place to visit 

Anything RTJ is always outstanding.  Thanks Kor!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I've done the Pebble Complex, Bandon and Pinehurst. Of those three, with a family I vote Pinehurst. That said, I honestly think your best choice is going to Branson Missouri and Big Cedar Lodge.

3 amazing 18 hope courses (tiger woods first public one in this country which I hear is spectacular) 2 par three courses (one of them actually hosts a Champions tour event, fishing, horses, shooting, boating, etc. And it's less than half the cost of most of the places being talked about above. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

And Anson.  And Jestine's.  Juanita Greenberg's for Mexican-ish.  Fleet's Landing is good for seafood, especially if you have a big group.  Basil for Thai food.  Poe's Tavern on Sullivan's Island for burgers.  Also Home Team BBQ on Sullivan's.  I could go on.  My parents live right outside Charleston in Mt. Pleasant; we love going to visit.

Do a carriage tour, and do a gullah tour.  Cool ghost tours as well.  If you're there between Thanksgiving and New Year's, they have one of the greatest drive-through light displays I've ever seen out on James Island.  We take the kids every year.

And Charleston has good golf in addition to Kiawah.  Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms.  Charleston National, Rivertowne, Patriots Point and Dunes West (my dad's course) in Mt. P.  Try to score an invite to Bulls Bay (Strantz), CC of Charleston (Raynor - site of this year's Women's US Open) or Yeamans Hall (also Raynor).  I'm still working on those.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, Rickp said:

Duck Fat Fries!!
Can’t wait to tell the Bacon Boys about thatemoji16.png
Road Tripemoji106.png

The Tattooed Moose is a small dive bar, we went in there on our trip there as per recommendation from a friend that lived down there.  We were told to order them and they were the most delicious french fries you will ever eat!  That is all we ate when we were there.  Actually, we went back a second night and ordered them again.  No other food, just the fries.  They come in a LARGE basket and they have different flavors, so naturally we had to try them all.  It is a must stop if ever in Charleston!

9 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Bethpage is def my favorite course.  Bucket list item checked off but I would love to play it every year.  It's tough being from out of state though.  

15 hours ago, bens197 said:

Watching Sean Brock over the years (prior to his departure), all I can say is that Charleston cuisine looks incredible.   

I never put 2 + 2 together that they were so close to each other.  I think I can sell this one...

It will happen, this was one I hated passing on but it was the right thing at the time.

Anything RTJ is always outstanding.  Thanks Kor!

Haig pointe, and Bentley Hall are private, but If you can get on them, you will not be disappointed at all.  Haig is the most difficult driving golf course I’ve ever been on, and the views on many of the holes are fantastic. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Bethpage is def my favorite course.  Bucket list item checked off but I would love to play it every year.  It's tough being from out of state though.  

Let me know if you want to play in the spring. After today I have have some free time starting in May.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

21 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Rivertowne

FYI - My dad just told me that Rivertowne is in lousy shape right now.  Dunes West just rebuilt their greens and bunkers.  Should be interesting next month.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Let me know if you want to play in the spring. After today I have have some free time starting in May.

Great generous offer, hope you can do it you won’t regret it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Here you go:

https://www.casadecampo.com.do/golf/golf-courses/teeth-of-the-dog/

Thank me later. Good deals right now. Something for everyone. Multiple courses also for you!!!

IMG_3334.JPG.5220fe33f5465826890b0583661d8cf2.JPGIMG_3333.JPG.cd7f79b1c3832f31ab3d3edb925e38aa.JPGIMG_3332.JPG.c6f4efad8a2076d5855a5e2d86c76dac.JPG

Btw Bethpage Black you gotta walk and it’s nowhere near flat. I didn’t walk all 18 as a spectator never mind as a player. It not total mountain golf so u can walk it but there are plenty of hills involved. Also u will never play tournament level. They put the tees all the way back in the grass for them and cut the grass differently. If you do Red it’s good and can use a cart. If you walk Black good luck going out and doing activities with the family for the next day or so. Gonna be a bit sore imo.

9 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Hell yeah I would love to!  My mother-in-law lives in Clifton NJ so I can stay with her and meet you.  I have only been able to play it once before.  That would be great!

Here you go:

Thank me later. Good deals right now. Something for everyone. Multiple courses also for you!!!

IMG_3334.JPG.5220fe33f5465826890b0583661d8cf2.JPGIMG_3333.JPG.cd7f79b1c3832f31ab3d3edb925e38aa.JPGIMG_3332.JPG.c6f4efad8a2076d5855a5e2d86c76dac.JPG

Btw Bethpage Black you gotta walk and it’s nowhere near flat. I didn’t walk all 18 as a spectator never mind as a player. It not total mountain golf so u can walk it but there are plenty of hills involved. Also u will never play tournament level. They put the tees all the way back in the grass for them and cut the grass differently. If you do Red it’s good and can use a cart. If you walk Black good luck going out and doing activities with the family for the next day or so. Gonna be a bit sore imo.

It is not that bad. I played it right after the PGA this year and was not dead afterwards. Granted I didn’t want to hit the gym but was still pretty good. That being said it is a tough walk and even worse if you elect to carry. If you want to see it at its worst then the year they hold a major is the best year. They keep the course in tournament shape for most of the season. Agree on the other courses, Red and Blue are no slouches on their own.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Here you go:

That course looks gorgeous.

Full disclosure, I walked the Black in 2002. We had a tournament in Port Washington when I was in college and our coach took us to Bethpage to see the course. The staff said we could walk all 18 so long as we didn’t walk on the greens.

Playing it is not a reach; we want to make a family trip to Montauk.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV