bens197

Golf Trip, which one and why?

9 hours ago, Rickp said:

Duck Fat Fries!!
Can’t wait to tell the Bacon Boys about thatemoji16.png
Road Tripemoji106.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The Tattooed Moose is a small dive bar, we went in there on our trip there as per recommendation from a friend that lived down there.  We were told to order them and they were the most delicious french fries you will ever eat!  That is all we ate when we were there.  Actually, we went back a second night and ordered them again.  No other food, just the fries.  They come in a LARGE basket and they have different flavors, so naturally we had to try them all.  It is a must stop if ever in Charleston!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I may know someone that has Bethpage in their back yard that could get him in with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bethpage is def my favorite course.  Bucket list item checked off but I would love to play it every year.  It's tough being from out of state though.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bens197 said:

Watching Sean Brock over the years (prior to his departure), all I can say is that Charleston cuisine looks incredible.   

I never put 2 + 2 together that they were so close to each other.  I think I can sell this one...

It will happen, this was one I hated passing on but it was the right thing at the time.

Anything RTJ is always outstanding.  Thanks Kor!

Haig pointe, and Bentley Hall are private, but If you can get on them, you will not be disappointed at all.  Haig is the most difficult driving golf course I’ve ever been on, and the views on many of the holes are fantastic. 

• Like 1

Bethpage is def my favorite course.  Bucket list item checked off but I would love to play it every year.  It's tough being from out of state though.  

Let me know if you want to play in the spring. After today I have have some free time starting in May.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Rivertowne

FYI - My dad just told me that Rivertowne is in lousy shape right now.  Dunes West just rebuilt their greens and bunkers.  Should be interesting next month.

• Like 1

Let me know if you want to play in the spring. After today I have have some free time starting in May.

Great generous offer, hope you can do it you won’t regret it.

• Like 1

Here you go:

https://www.casadecampo.com.do/golf/golf-courses/teeth-of-the-dog/

Thank me later. Good deals right now. Something for everyone. Multiple courses also for you!!!

IMG_3334.JPG.5220fe33f5465826890b0583661d8cf2.JPGIMG_3333.JPG.cd7f79b1c3832f31ab3d3edb925e38aa.JPGIMG_3332.JPG.c6f4efad8a2076d5855a5e2d86c76dac.JPG

Btw Bethpage Black you gotta walk and it’s nowhere near flat. I didn’t walk all 18 as a spectator never mind as a player. It not total mountain golf so u can walk it but there are plenty of hills involved. Also u will never play tournament level. They put the tees all the way back in the grass for them and cut the grass differently. If you do Red it’s good and can use a cart. If you walk Black good luck going out and doing activities with the family for the next day or so. Gonna be a bit sore imo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Hell yeah I would love to!  My mother-in-law lives in Clifton NJ so I can stay with her and meet you.  I have only been able to play it once before.  That would be great!

• Like 2

Here you go:

Thank me later. Good deals right now. Something for everyone. Multiple courses also for you!!!

IMG_3334.JPG.5220fe33f5465826890b0583661d8cf2.JPGIMG_3333.JPG.cd7f79b1c3832f31ab3d3edb925e38aa.JPGIMG_3332.JPG.c6f4efad8a2076d5855a5e2d86c76dac.JPG

Btw Bethpage Black you gotta walk and it’s nowhere near flat. I didn’t walk all 18 as a spectator never mind as a player. It not total mountain golf so u can walk it but there are plenty of hills involved. Also u will never play tournament level. They put the tees all the way back in the grass for them and cut the grass differently. If you do Red it’s good and can use a cart. If you walk Black good luck going out and doing activities with the family for the next day or so. Gonna be a bit sore imo.

It is not that bad. I played it right after the PGA this year and was not dead afterwards. Granted I didn’t want to hit the gym but was still pretty good. That being said it is a tough walk and even worse if you elect to carry. If you want to see it at its worst then the year they hold a major is the best year. They keep the course in tournament shape for most of the season. Agree on the other courses, Red and Blue are no slouches on their own.

• Like 3

Here you go:

That course looks gorgeous.

Full disclosure, I walked the Black in 2002. We had a tournament in Port Washington when I was in college and our coach took us to Bethpage to see the course. The staff said we could walk all 18 so long as we didn’t walk on the greens.

Playing it is not a reach; we want to make a family trip to Montauk.
  • Like 1

That course looks gorgeous.

Full disclosure, I walked the Black in 2002. We had a tournament in Port Washington when I was in college and our coach took us to Bethpage to see the course. The staff said we could walk all 18 so long as we didn’t walk on the greens.

Playing it is not a reach; we want to make a family trip to Montauk.

Sounds like Bethpage for you then! Those others aren’t anywhere near Montauk. Should be great time. Post some pics if u get a chance to take some. :)

If you ever travel outside of US check out the link i posted. You won’t be disappointed. My buddy just came back from there a couple days ago and said the courses are in great shape right now.
  • Like 1

Sounds like Bethpage for you then! Those others aren’t anywhere near Montauk. Should be great time. Post some pics if u get a chance to take some. :)

If you ever travel outside of US check out the link i posted. You won’t be disappointed. My buddy just came back from there a couple days ago and said the courses are in great shape right now.

That’s just one option since it’d be on the way out East

You guys have been incredibly helpful!

I had a lot of fun browsing that link...it looks incredible.

• Like 1

I read through all the post and almost lost track of what the original post asked. haha. So many good courses I want to at some point play. 

Based on your original question, my answer is Pebble Beach. There is soo much other cool stuff in the Monterrey area that the kids will be happy. My wife will be happy and I will be happy. 

Plus there are some other awesome courses in the area. Bayonet and black horse, some course up in Carmel etc etc etc. 

• Like 2

My wife knows I turned down a round at Winged Foot and Bethpage last summer. I’m a pretty good dad and have chosen to always put my family ahead of any of my activities.

Recently, we discussed bucket list trips and I had told her about some golf destinations, namely Cabot Links.

We agreed that we should look for some trips where I could golf and we could all still travel as a family. My wife isn’t a golfer but I’d love to see her pick up some clubs and give it a shot.

We’d travel and find some things to do along the way and enjoy several points rather than a single destination.

So, if the choice was yours, which of these would you choose?

Cabot
Whistling Straits
Brandon Dunes
Pinehurst
Pebble Beach (she loved the spa and resort)

Last year I played the Robert Trent Jones Trail in Alabama. I started in Huntsville and worked my way down to Mobile. I stayed in AirBnbs at each stop and met some truly incredible people. This was a two week 14 round trip. While that type of fast and furious travel may not be for everyone.......I wouldn’t trade the experience.

• Like 3

I have a similar family situation to yours. I'm the only semi-serious golfer, but prioritize family time. We have planned several of our family vacations, just as you suggest, around finding a round of golf for me mixed in to other family  time. Many of the locations you mentioned seem like golf only destinations though. We have done trips to Sea Island, GA, Hilton Head, SC, and Hammock Beach, FL that all had a myriad of family activities and resort/spa amenities away from the golf course. I highly recommend any of all of those. 

• Like 1

I work with a father of two girls and nobody in his family plays golf.

They travel to Sea Island every other year during the early summer months. Based upon the commentary here, I think Sea Island would be a wise choice.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and feedback

• Like 1

I’m from the east coast and played Cabot a handful of times. 
the golf is unreal. Spa items for your wife are not there but the beach for the family is right off the courses and they can actually watch you play from certain points of you on the course. Speaking from experience they took photos of me and waved to me while I played a handful of holes while they played. Pretty cool experience. Small town charm will capture you also!

• Like 2

I’m from the east coast and played Cabot a handful of times. 
the golf is unreal. Spa items for your wife are not there but the beach for the family is right off the courses and they can actually watch you play from certain points of you on the course. Speaking from experience they took photos of me and waved to me while I played a handful of holes while they played. Pretty cool experience. Small town charm will capture you also!

Their instagram does a great job capturing the beauty of the region. Maybe someday I’ll make it there. I hope.