Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

8 iron surprise, you?

revkev

Until I had a tracking device there were three things that I thought about my game that were untrue.

1. I was good with my wedges.

False - but I’ve worked on them and gotten much better throughout this past season.

2. I thought I was good with hybrids.

False - I carried 6 iron, 5 hybrid and 4 hybrid approximately the same distance. When its dry out I appear to be good with those clubs - I’m really not.

I now game no hybrids. I’m actually good with 7 and 9 wood. The only thing that I miss is having a hybrid to chip with. 7 iron works fine.

3. I stink with 8 iron.

False - My average distance with 8 iron is 141 and proximity to the hole is a very respectable 26 feet - I hit them on the green nearly 70 percent of the time from that distance. I’m even better with 9 iron and PW - 21 feet from the hole.

What have you learned about your game from your tracking device and has it changed the way that you play and/or practice?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great stats! I’m both excited and scared to learn these stats about myself next season as I just got Arccos, but the 0 degree wind chill yesterday suggests I might have to wait until spring to get started with them.

I expect I’ll have both a few positive surprises and a few eye openers as you did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I’m also not as good a chipper as I thought. It just seems that I’m a good chipper. I actually get up and down a reasonable amount of time because I’m a better putter than I thought.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I’m also not as good a chipper as I thought. It just seems that I’m a good chipper. I actually get up and down a reasonable amount of time because I’m a better putter than I thought.

I don’t want to know what it says about my short game. Haha I’ve made some really good shots but suffered a good bit early this year with bladed wedges.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The stats in general did not surprise me however the gap between them opened my eyes. I knew I was a great driver of the ball and a very good putter. My irons were and always have been the issue. What opened my eyes was the fact that after using arccos for a short time according the their stats there was a 6-8 stroke difference on their handicaps between approach and driving. I have focused more on my irons this year and the gap is now closer to 2-4 strokes. One other thing that stood out was the my good shots were better than I thought and the bad ones were worse.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I thought I was a decent chipper and putter until I played with a guy last weekend down from Spokane.  He's played my course before, but only a couple of times.  I'm guessing he was scratch or thereabouts and played from the tips.  Great guy!!

He chipped much closer to the hole than I did, and he never missed a putt inside 6 feet.  He showed me a new perspective on the short game that I don't see at my course and that I have a lot more work to do!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am better from 95-110 yards with a PW than any other club. 100% GIR with it.

I hit my 2 hybrid way further than I thought.

I’m not good with my 56° wedge at all... which I though was my best club.

I am a faaaarrrrr better putter than I thought. In fact Arccos is telling me it is my best asset... go figure.

Here’s a GIR report.

IMG_6664.JPG

I always thought I was a serviceable putter until I started tracking with Arccos, not great, but I always thought it was decent. Looking at the stats, I average 39 putts a round.

I also thought I was good chipping the ball, but I only have a chip and down percentage of 10.3 and an average distance to the hole of 25 feet. I guess that might play into the amount of putts per round.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great thread, Rev!

The biggest "lie" Arccos has uncovered for my game (and I can't really say ShotScope identified the same issue since it does not break down facets of the game as well, imo): My iron game is a relative strength

Truth: It is a pretty big weakness, not much better than off the tee.

My Arccos handicaps are:

Driving - 27.2
Approach - 21.0
Chipping - 12.4
Sand - 8.3
Putting - 6.0

My struggles off the tee have been pretty well documented here and I'm really hoping to be able to do Golftec (or similar) and break down my swing this winter/early spring. But why would I always have the perception that irons are a strength? I think it boils down to the fact that I tend to hit them solid much of the time, but either end up with a straight pull or fading push resulting in way too many missed greens. I don't usually miss the greens by a ton, just enough that requires a chip and a putt or two.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

On 11/14/2019 at 10:38 AM, THEZIPR23 said:

The stats in general did not surprise me however the gap between them opened my eyes. I knew I was a great driver of the ball and a very good putter. My irons were and always have been the issue. What opened my eyes was the fact that after using arccos for a short time according the their stats there was a 6-8 stroke difference on their handicaps between approach and driving. I have focused more on my irons this year and the gap is now closer to 2-4 strokes. One other thing that stood out was the my good shots were better than I thought and the bad ones were worse.  

This would definitely sum up my experience with Game Golf - almost exactly. Driving and putting are often near scratch (slightly better a small handful of times) while approach shots and short game are significantly worse. I've been putting in lots of work though and the short game has improved quite a bit. I really just need to figure out how to hit more greens. It has to be some sort of mental hiccup caused by putting too much pressure on myself because I can absolutely stripe it on the range and often don't miss by much - it's always either a slight pull or push or just a hair fat kinda thing. 

After having experimented with the big three stat trackers over the past few years, I think I'm ready to go back to Arccos. The inclusion of Arccos Link is a big deal that I think will remedy the issues I had before. Just trying to decide if I get it now or wait until Spring (obviously I'll have to wait for Link since it's not available for purchase yet). 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I’ve learned that I only average 230-240 off of the tee, and not 250-260. Getting old sucks.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I’ve learned that I only average 230-240 off of the tee, and not 250-260. Getting old sucks.

I’ve also learned that there’s a huge difference in driving distance stats here depending on the season of the year. I used a different driver tag for January through May and June through October - it was 20 yards shorter in the rainy season.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I’ve also learned that there’s a huge difference in driving distance stats here depending on the season of the year. I used a different driver tag for January through May and June through October - it was 20 yards shorter in the rainy season.

yes, and cold weather affects distance as well.  The warmer it is the further ball flies, in theory anyway.  My distance has sucked all year long.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've always had a great relationship with my 8i.  My PE2 8i was a trusted friend, a "go to club" that rarely let me down.  I'm now finding my G410 8i to be steady and true as well; though it's distance is now what my PE2 7i was.  I'm not sure what it is about 8 irons, but they fit me well... so no, no surprise.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I've learned that:

• I'm an awful driver of the golf ball.  On days I can hit driver and keep it on the golf course, I can play pretty well and challenge my personal best.
  • I hit my 4 iron and 5 iron the same distance.  Except when I hit my 4 iron shorter.  I intended the HL4 18* to replace the 4 iron, but I have a big gap between it and the 5i, so I think there's another HL4 in my future.
  • My iron game could use some work, but it's not terrible.
  • I'm a pretty good putter.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I've learned that:
  • I'm an awful driver of the golf ball.  On days I can hit driver and keep it on the golf course, I can play pretty well and challenge my personal best.
  • I hit my 4 iron and 5 iron the same distance.  Except when I hit my 4 iron shorter.  I intended the HL4 18* to replace the 4 iron, but I have a big gap between it and the 5i, so I think there's another HL4 in my future.
  • My iron game could use some work, but it's not terrible.
  • I'm a pretty good putter.

How about the gap between 5 iron and 6 iron? If it’s not right maybe 5 hybrid, 4 hybrid are in order or 9 wood, 7 wood even.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

36 minutes ago, revkev said:

How about the gap between 5 iron and 6 iron? If it’s not right maybe 5 hybrid, 4 hybrid are in order or 9 wood, 7 wood even.

Surprisingly, my 5i - 6i gap is OK.  I just need something a little longer than a 5i that I don't hook off the planet.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 11/24/2019 at 1:04 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

I intended the HL4 18* to replace the 4 iron, but I have a big gap between it and the 5i, so I think there's another HL4 in my future.

Not related to shot tracking, but .... I tried .. and kept .. an HL4 iron-wood. Really happy with it and I'm thinking I may add another (or maybe a set) to my bag, also!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Coming at the OP question from a high-handicapper perspective -- I tried ShotScope earlier this year and honestly, for me, there were no surprises. I totally get Rev's points about learning your true distances and using it to help map out/set up your bag, etc. ... so I may revisit a shot tracking gadget in the future. But for me for now I will gain a lot more from continued lessons coupled with focused practice.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

Coming at the OP question from a high-handicapper perspective -- I tried ShotScope earlier this year and honestly, for me, there were no surprises. I totally get Rev's points about learning your true distances and using it to help map out/set up your bag, etc. ... so I may revisit a shot tracking gadget in the future. But for me for now I will gain a lot more from continued lessons coupled with focused practice.

Same is true for this medium-handicapper.  I've not tried ShotScope.  There won't be any surprises if I did.  I know my game and my limitations, and ShotScope would just confirm it.  

I am a 9 handicap, but only because I have been practicing my short game.  If I spent less time practicing it, my handicap would be about a 14.  I can reasonably play to a 14, but it's extremely difficult for me to play to a 9.  Here's why...

I am not a great ball striker.  More likely than not, I will mess up one of two or three shots on a hole.  I can mess up a drive, or if I hit a good drive, I'll thin/chunk my second shot.  I know my distances for each club, but I mishit enough that it doesn't really matter that I know them.  Couple that with not reaching some par 5's in 3 shots or par 4's in two shots, and I'm scrambling... it's what I do.

What really surprises me is when I play a hole exactly like I think I should play it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up Arccos again during their Black Friday sale and logged my first round with it yesterday. Granted, yesterday was quite windy and required me to work the ball a lot more than I normally do, I was very surprised to see how my handicaps turned out.

Driving: 8.5

Approach: 20.9

Chipping: 6.3

Putting: 9.7

This is the first time I can recall (with Arccos or Game Golf) that my chipping score was lower than driving AND putting. Though I'm sure it is somewhat of an anomaly - my struggles with driving and approach shots were heavily impacted by the wind - it is nice to have a fair indication of just how much my work on the short game has paid off!

EDIT:

To throw some numbers up for comparison, I still have one of my two sub 80 rounds saved on Arccos and my handicap breakdown on that particular day looks like this:

Driving: +2.6

Approach: 16.5

Chipping: 30+  😬

Putting: +0.1

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag