Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Astros and sign-stealing

GolfSpy MPR

Stealing signs  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is closest to you take on the allegations about the Astros? (you can choose more than one)

• Stealing signs is always against the spirit of the game.
    • A runner on second stealing signs is part of baseball; using a camera is not.
    • If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.
    • I don't think they did what they're accused of doing.
    • It looks like they are guilty.

What's your guys' takes on the controversy surrounding the Astros and stealing signs?

I come at this as a second-hand Astros fan. The Tigers are my team, but they're terrible, so I've been reduced to merely rooting for Verlander the past few seasons. The evidence that the Astros have been using a camera to steal signs from the catcher, relaying those signs to the dugout, and signaling to their hitters seems pretty strong. The evidence (language alert):

[The video is far more convincing if you're watching on a computer with speakers with a little bass; the bangs aren't clearly audible on tiny phone speakers.]

At the moment, I think it looks likely that they are guilty of what they're being accused of. My opinion is that on-field stealing of signs is a legitimate part of baseball's gamesmanship: I've got no issue with this. Using a camera, though, it totally outside the spirit of the game.

Rewriting history is always a dumb penalty (forfeiting games and such). It might be harsh, but I think I could be convinced that those in management (including coaches) who put this system in place should receive a lifetime ban from the game.

What's your take?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

58 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

What's your take?

I agree, a runner on base trying to steal signs has been a part of baseball since the dawn of signs.  Use of a camera by one of the teams is cheating.  Its interesting that the Astros have said that they'll investigate themselves.  I'd think that MLB should be the ones to investigate, and the ones to determine what, if any, punishment should be applied.  If MLB really wants this to stop, they may need to suspend some management personnel for a good long time.  I've heard it suggested that MLB could lower the threshhold for the luxury tax for the Astros for a while, potentially costing them 10s of millions, or limiting their payroll significantly.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

This supposedly happen a full year ago. Listening to the bang, bang it is possible. However, can it be proven where the “bang was coming from? 
also there are players and coaches that watch film and study pitchers and figure out particular pitching sequencing for certain batter. I’ve watched games where guys like Kirk Gibson will call a pitch based on situation, and he wasn't ever wrong. It is possible that someone in the dugout was tracking and watching Pitches, and figured out the tell on The catcher or pitcher. Because of the speed at which the “bang” happened after the sign it is likely video was used, but there are other ways as well. I guess that’s what they  need to figure out. 

Edited by Kor.A.Door

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The thing about stealing signs from the field/dugout is that offense is policed by the other team when caught, as it should be.  What the 'Stros did takes sign stealing to a new level.  So the question arises, what form of sign stealing is okay? 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Sign stealing from dugout, base paths has been around forever and I don’t get upset over it. What the Astros are alleged to do is a different level. I hope it’s not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Former baseball player here, ALL sign stealing is part of the game.  Without getting into specifics, there’s extreme levels teams go to to steal signs. The Astros use of technology is the next logical step but I just see it as part of the home field advantage that they’ve got infrastructure in place to do it. 

In the poll, I voted for “if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying” but I really don’t see it as cheating at all. If teams didn’t want their signs stolen, don’t make them so easy to steal. 

Baseball is a funny game with those unwritten rules 🤷🏻‍♂️

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Former baseball player here, ALL sign stealing is part of the game.  Without getting into specifics, there’s extreme levels teams go to to steal signs. The Astros use of technology is the next logical step but I just see it as part of the home field advantage that they’ve got infrastructure in place to do it. 
In the poll, I voted for “if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying” but I really don’t see it as cheating at all. If teams didn’t want their signs stolen, don’t make them so easy to steal. 

Hmmm gotcha. Maybe I got a little PC
We’ll have to see what MLB comes up with.
Good Thread.

Rick

Left Hand, 

That bang bang is so suspect in the video, I don’t think there’s anyway a noise from a dugout gets captured on a general microphone that is meant for the sounds of the ball park. How do we hear the bang bang but you can’t hear commentary out of the dugout, around the dugout, from on the field, etc.? Yeah, totally bogus.

Now to the question at hand, what should be done? How about exactly the same thing that was done to the New England Patriots when they were using video to steal information leading up to their Super Bowl win. There is precedent set, it’s in major sports, just follow what happened there. Belichick is still coaching, the team is still winning Super Bowls, I say just follow what happened with the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

2 minutes ago, PMookie said:

That bang bang is so suspect in the video, I don’t think there’s anyway a noise from a dugout gets captured on a general microphone that is meant for the sounds of the ball park. How do we hear the bang bang but you can’t hear commentary out of the dugout, around the dugout, from on the field, etc.? Yeah, totally bogus.

Now to the question at hand, what should be done? How about exactly the same thing that was done to the New England Patriots when they were using video to steal information leading up to their Super Bowl win. There is precedent set, it’s in major sports, just follow what happened there. Belichick is still coaching, the team is still winning Super Bowls, I say just follow what happened with the NFL.

Yeah but that’s different. The Patriots were stealing practice info. The practice field is supposed to be a safe space. This is in a live game where all bets are off. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

From what I've read, this type of sign stealing is against the written rules, not the unwritten ones, much as the pine tar stuff is, much as throwing spitballs and using other foreign substances is, much as corking bats is.  The difference I see is that only the home team has the advantage, and that the level of effort requires the active participation of some levels of management.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Baseball is a funny game with those unwritten rules

The best part of those unwritten rules is the unwritten love that gets applied with hard tags, inside pitches, etc.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Yeah but that’s different. The Patriots were stealing practice info. The practice field is supposed to be a safe space. This is in a live game where all bets are off. 

Hmm. Video, unwritten rule...
Ok. To each their own.

It’s my way of saying, “Who cares? Move along.”
“Rubbin is racin’!”

My ex-FIL actually began his MLB career on the mound in Houston, and we had some interesting conversations comparing the way cheating is viewed in professional baseball -vs- professional golf.

His genuine take on the diamond: If you’re not cheating then you’re not trying hard enough for your team. And the only way to be sure you’re trying hard enough is getting caught once in awhile.

But he was also voted the meanest pitcher in the league (3 years in a row) by his peers.

Like it or not, professional sport has become big business, built upon notching wins... any way you can get them. And with the exception of targeted violence, I personally think any justice meted out in these situations really only serves to buoy the false notion that cheating is isolated.

The caveat to all of the aforementioned - I am a lifelong Astros fan 😬

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

One other thing not mentioned is that this is an issue for multiple teams according to reports, but they are singling out Houston because of the teams success. Since this is an issue attributed to multiple teams, they need to also name the other teams as well. I am not sure either way on the banging in the video, that can be doctored in a video before sending it in. Since there are a multitude of cameras at the games, and there are some pointed at the dugouts, and someone is banging a wall loud enough for the batter hear it is there video showing a guy banging the wall. That would be difficult to miss in the dugout. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

28 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

One other thing not mentioned is that this is an issue for multiple teams according to reports, but they are singling out Houston because of the teams success. Since this is an issue attributed to multiple teams, they need to also name the other teams as well. I am not sure either way on the banging in the video, that can be doctored in a video before sending it in. Since there are a multitude of cameras at the games, and there are some pointed at the dugouts, and someone is banging a wall loud enough for the batter hear it is there video showing a guy banging the wall. That would be difficult to miss in the dugout. 

They way I read it, someone was watching the video in the tunnel behind the dugout, and banging a trashcan like a drum.  I don't think a camera is likely to pick that up, but noise being directed out of the tunnel would be focused towards the field.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

22 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Extremely well said Stud ⚾

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

My ex-FIL actually began his MLB career on the mound in Houston, and we had some interesting conversations comparing the way cheating is viewed in professional baseball -vs- professional golf.
His genuine take on the diamond: If you’re not cheating then you’re not trying hard enough for your team. And the only way to be sure you’re trying hard enough is getting caught once in awhile.
But he was also voted the meanest pitcher in the league (3 years in a row) by his peers.
Like it or not, professional sport has become big business, built upon notching wins... any way you can get them. And with the exception of targeted violence, I personally think any justice meted out in these situations really only serves to buoy the false notion that cheating is isolated.
The caveat to all of the aforementioned - I am a lifelong Astros fan

Is his name Al Hrabosky?!

Or Sam McDowell!

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

Negative

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Or Sam McDowell!

I’ll give you guys a hint - his nickname was “The Texas Tiger”

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

Nolan Ryan?

Rick

Left Hand, 

27 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Nolan Ryan?

Lol - nope... unfortunately

If you want to keep guessing, he also pitched for the Padres and the Cardinals (1970s)

35 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Negative

Bill Greif?

1972-topps-astros-rookies-greif-richard-

I played everything growing up (not very well), and I'd never have thought to admit that I missed a tag or jumped offsides or traveled.  

I love how golf requires you to referee yourself, and there are some very different questions that you're asked (ahem, Billy Mayfair).  I used to play quite a bit of beach volleyball in college and right after graduation.  That's another sport (at least at the recreational level), where without some honor calls, it's basically unplayable.    

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Bill Greif?
1972-topps-astros-rookies-greif-richard-busse.jpg?w=598&h=412
I played everything growing up (not very well), and I'd never have thought to admit that I missed a tag or jumped offsides or traveled.  
I love how golf requires you to referee yourself, and there are some very different questions that you're asked (ahem, Billy Mayfair).  I used to play quite a bit of beach volleyball in college and right after graduation.  That's another sport (at least at the recreational level), where without some honor calls, it's basically unplayable.    

Never would have got that.

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Never would have got that.

Had to ask the Goog.  I was one when he was a rookie.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

11 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Bill Greif?

1972-topps-astros-rookies-greif-richard-

Bingo - Winner, winner!

We both had a bunch of stories about guys trying to break the rules. But in my golf stories, the offenders were present day “persona non grata” and in his baseball stories they were wily heroes.

Like your sand volleyball experience, I’ve definitely gravitated toward the gentleman’s games that include a social contract where honor calls for/from your opponents are expected.

12 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Bingo - Winner, winner!

We both had a bunch of stories about guys trying to break the rules. But in my golf stories, the offenders were present day “persona non grata” and in his baseball stories they were wily heroes.

Like your sand volleyball experience, I’ve definitely gravitated toward the gentleman’s games that include a social contract where honor calls for/from your opponents are expected.

The beers afterward taste better when you don't hate your opponents.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The beers afterward taste better when you don't hate your opponents.

Yup

Rick

Left Hand, 

IMG_0221.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Im in the, "if you aint cheatin', you aint tryin'" camp.  It seems like especially in baseball, cheating is part of the game.  Being it pine tar, sign stealing, steroids/HGH, etc, etc; its part of the game.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X