GolfSpy MPR

Astros and sign-stealing

Stealing signs  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which is closest to you take on the allegations about the Astros? (you can choose more than one)

• Stealing signs is always against the spirit of the game.
    • A runner on second stealing signs is part of baseball; using a camera is not.
    • If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.
    • I don't think they did what they're accused of doing.
    • It looks like they are guilty.

So the hammer dropped today:

• The manager and GM both suspended for a year
  • Team fined $5 million
  • Loss of first two round picks the next two seasons

What do you guys think of the punishment? I think I could be convinced of longer suspensions, but otherwise, this seems about right. For my part, I'm glad that MLB didn't go down the path of vacating wins. That approach never made sense to me, because it never means that the other team is credited with those wins. Those games just (apparently) never happened, although all the stats from them did.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So the hammer dropped today:

• The manager and GM both suspended for a year
  • Team fined $5 million
  • Loss of first two round picks the next two seasons

What do you guys think of the punishment? I think I could be convinced of longer suspensions, but otherwise, this seems about right. For my part, I'm glad that MLB didn't go down the path of vacating wins. That approach never made sense to me, because it never means that the other team is credited with those wins. Those games just (apparently) never happened, although all the stats from them did.

1 year seems excessive but understandable.... Integrity of the game is paramount and MLB probably wanted to send a stern message to other teams.

• Like 2

Thinking it’s a bit much but sends a message.
Now what happens with Cora

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Red Sox are next on the chopping block!  

Breaking Update.

The Astros owner has just fired both the GM and the Linch.    Guess he didn't want to sit around for a year with two lame ducks!

• Like 2

WHOA!
Hard to blame him though....

Also:
Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who was implicated in the schemes, was not disciplined but is expected to receive a similarly harsh penalty upon the completion of an investigation into illicit use of a video replay room by the 2018 Red Sox. Cora was the Astros' bench coach during the 2017 season.

• Like 2

Looks like the Astros are moving on without them already.

Cora’s going to be hit harder, wonder if the Sox will wait around?

• Like 1

Looks like the Astros are moving on without them already.
Cora’s going to be hit harder, wonder if the Sox will wait around?

Saux won’t wait around they’ll move on. Good part is they have new GM who want there in 2018.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Saux won’t wait around they’ll move on. Good part is they have new GM who want there in 2018.

I agree, from what i have been reading, Cora might get more then a year.

• Like 1

I agree, from what i have been reading, Cora might get more then a year.

New GM has no allegiance to Cora from 2018 WS, if it’s a year plus I believe Saux will look elsewhere.
I still believe Varitek is in the wings.

Ron Roenicke (sp) name is out there already.

My thoughts are it really does nothing to the organization. They cheated and won a World Series, ditto for the Sox. If they really wanted to hurt them lower the luxury tax for both teams to $100m for 5 years and cut their international signing money in half. That would be the death penalty for both franchises.

If the Sox have any integrity they should cut bait with Cora now just based on these findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My thoughts are it really does nothing to the organization. They cheated and won a World Series, ditto for the Sox. If they really wanted to hurt them lower the luxury tax for both teams to $100m for 5 years and cut their international signing money in half. That would be the death penalty for both franchises.

If the Sox have any integrity they should cut bait with Cora now just based on these findings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Red Sox “chatter” is he’s “Dead man walking” and Ron Renecke is already lined up. Word is the scheme was Coras brainchild for both Teams.
He gone...

• Like 2

The fine will be recovered by not having to pay slot bonuses for 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021.

The question is, does MLB place show-cause status on everyone involved? If so, for how long? My guess is, Cora will be multiple years if not lifetime.

• Like 1

The fine will be recovered by not having to pay slot bonuses for 1st and 2nd round picks in 2020 and 2021.

The question is, does MLB place show-cause status on everyone involved? If so, for how long? My guess is, Cora will be multiple years if not lifetime.

I don’t see the Death Penalty for Cora, 1 or 2 years and fine and 1st born male child.
I think the 1st born maybe too much.

I don’t see the Death Penalty for Cora, 1 or 2 years and fine and 1st born male child.

I think the 1st born maybe too much.

We’ll see soon enough. You may be right.

I’m basing my opinion on the narrative on social media that Cora’s offenses are equatable to Pete Rose. Not sure I agree but can’t say for sure since I don’t know what evidence they have on him. But what they have seems like enough to some of the guys in the game to warrant a Rose type suspension.

Cora & Red Sox “part ways” immediately.

• Like 1

Cora & Red Sox “part ways” immediately.

Yeah we saw that. My kids are bummed and my wife could couldn’t careless. Then again she’s still pissed about Brady replacing Bledsoe.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Yeah we saw that. My kids are bummed and my wife could couldn’t careless. Then again she’s still pissed about Brady replacing Bledsoe.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

This will be an interesting choice for new Mgr. Ron Reonike or Bochy to settle things or Cpt Varitek which will rally fans for short term. Lots of pressure on me GM Bloom.

• Like 1

Fans and staff within the Dodgers organization have every right to be losing their mind. Cheaters do win when big money is involved.