TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 sucked

PMookie

So sorry PMookie - there are some years like that. The good news is that you are young enough that a change in life circumstance will give you that chance to bounce back.

When I guy my age has that kind of down year it’s often a sign of decline do to age

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hang in there buddy.  I'm hoping the changes in home and job were good things, and that as life settles down you get more time to practice and play.  I went up a shot this year myself; I know how you feel.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I only shot in the 70's 4 times the whole season. I attribute that to work schedule, no practice and too much beer while playing. I had a great time this year on the course. Maybe 2020 will be better scoring wise, but if not, I bet I'll still have a great time playing golf. 

Disclaimer: I'm just not as consumed with my score as I have been in the past.

I only shot in the 70's 4 times the whole season. I attribute that to work schedule, no practice and too much beer while playing. I had a great time this year on the course. Maybe 2020 will be better scoring wise, but if not, I bet I'll still have a great time playing golf. 
Disclaimer: I'm just not as consumed with my score as I have been in the past.

Maybe I ought to drink....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Don't know what to tell you.  Wasn't too happy with my year; just felt like I could play better than I have been.   Who knows,  trying too hard,  over compensating,  just a downward trend in the game, too much wrong practice,  too little practice,  too much instruction,  too little instruction.....etc.     Been getting frustrated over the last month or so since my iron play has been so poor.    I think scaling back to a single instructor is probably a good idea.   you may also be trying to force things and not letting your swing happen.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I get you're frustrated, but switching equipment and coaches a lot are not a recipe for success. Talented pros struggle with the smallest equipment changes and swing changes, so I'd imagine even they would struggle if asked to switch coaches 3 times and change equipment throughout the season. 

I get you're frustrated, but switching equipment and coaches a lot are not a recipe for success. Talented pros struggle with the smallest equipment changes and swing changes, so I'd imagine even they would struggle if asked to switch coaches 3 times and change equipment throughout the season. 

I think I mentioned the coaching? Changing equipment is what we do on here, isn’t it? Maybe one day I’ll get lucky and get a top-notch fitting and can buy the build of a lifetime... Until then, one coach!

It felt like 2019 sucked for me until this summer.  I switched to Monte Scheinblum as an online coach and attended one of his clinics this summer.  It was a struggle for awhile, but I'm making better contact with my irons and I have gained a little distance... not much, but a little.  At my age every little bit helps.  Now I have to get back on the SuperSpeed training starting in December.

I checked my GHIN for last November and I was a 9.6 when we quit posting for the year and a year later I'm an 8.2 on The Grint.  I'm happy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

All-in-all, the biggest component of keeping a handicap is practice. I went from a 7 into the fives changing equipment numerous times, even multiple times a year, even testing for MGS. I had lessons from a coach in Louisiana and Texas in the same year on my journey to sub-6.... The reason I got there, and was there for a couple seasons, was because I was at the range twice a week, and playing just about every Friday.
Simply, practice-time, and number of rounds are the major components missing this year.

I did get to play some of the best tracks ever this year, though!!! Valhalla?! Sandpiper in Santa Barbara on the Pacific?! Barton Creek again?! I played in 6 different states, and got to play some incredible courses. I played all of those courses better than my home course as they were all actually kept in good shape and had grass in the fairways!
The game sucked, but where I played was incredible! I even got in a round with a fellow MGS’er, which was awesome!!!!

I’ll get it back.... Probably with a different set of irons, though.....

Sticking to one coach is a key imo. There are a lot of great coaches out there but they all teach in their own language and with their own ideas. Practice is overrated if you ask me but being able to put a peg in the ground consistently is a huge help. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Hang in there. I broke 90 for the first time earlier this year And thought consistent 80s were in my sight. Alas, work taking lot more time and family first takes away golf time. Seasons for every time. I have had to tell myself to enjoy being out with friends and the golf will drop where it will

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

Regardless of the score if you enjoyed your time on the course then it’s a good day and a good year. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'd have to say 2019 so far has been a successful year all around. IOW - it didn't suck. As far as golf is concerned I played well and consistent. I went through a few short slumps but they didn't last more than a week or two it seemed. (but they felt longer - LOL) I had dreams of grandeur of shooting under par a few times but each time I couldn't get out of my way and let it happen. (picture two trains colliding) But overall I'm pleased. I'll turn 65 in February and my health is good and I remain injury and ailment free. 🙏

Looking forward to 2020. 😎🏌️‍♂️👍

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You are lucky to share your life with those gorgeous ladies@dhartmann34

Look at that beautiful red hair

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Hang in there@PMookie. It sounds like you had a lot of variables that can wreak havoc on your game. With moving, the three different coaches, and didn't you have surgery? Dealing with pain has a way of negatively affecting how you swing. You start slowly making compensations to avoid pain and that can wreck a swing. Hopefully things will settle down for you in 2020 and you can play free of pain. You are a great golfer and I have nothing but confidence you'll come back stronger next year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Hang in there[mention=2567]PMookie[/mention]. It sounds like you had a lot of variables that can wreak havoc on your game. With moving, the three different coaches, and didn't you have surgery? Dealing with pain has a way of negatively affecting how you swing. You start slowly making compensations to avoid pain and that can wreck a swing. Hopefully things will settle down for you in 2020 and you can play free of pain. You are a great golfer and I have nothing but confidence you'll come back stronger next year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you, Sir, very kind!!!!!

I was disappointed with my 2019 as well. There were many days I started out playing well and then I had a blowup(s) hole which messed with my head then several holes to recover. Perhaps the best thing that came out of 2019 is that I know my short falls and will be working on them between now and the start of next season.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I was reading the OP by @PMookie and it seems we are living similar games on the golf course.  I just checked GHIN for my handicap history this year, and I went as low as a 4.9, and I am currently at my high for the year, at 7.2.  I do know that I got down to a 4.9 because I posted a 71 in a tournament and that sort of skewed my handicap for a few months.  Now that that round is gone, I figure my handicap is about where it should be.  But that 71 was my personal best round ever, so 2019 wasn't all bad in my book.

Still, I used to be obsessed with my handicap and how to make it go lower, and now I am actually focusing on how to play the game as honest as possible, and counting each and every stroke, good or bad.

I mean honestly, I'm not even upset that my handicap is at 7.2.  I just go out and play, and let the game just sort of happen, with the expectations being virtually non-existent.  I've got my Saturday dog fight to keep me competitive, but honestly, when you are only able to play on Saturdays and maybe once during the week, with little to no practice, what should your expectations be?

I'm working on getting more time to practice and play, but I guess my attitude is just one of being happy to play the game.  Life is all about balance anyway, so it is what it is.  Just enjoy golf when you can and don't worry too much about the score.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 11/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, cnosil said:

Wasn't too happy with my year; just felt like I could play better than I have been.   Who knows,  trying too hard,  over compensating,  just a downward trend in the game, too much wrong practice,  too little practice,  too much instruction,  too little instruction.....etc.     Been getting frustrated over the last month or so since my iron play has been so poor. 

::raises hand::
Yep .. all those same kinda things here, too....
(along with some back spasms that refused to cooperate in playing golf the second half of the summer)

But biggest problem, I think .. and possibly echoes PMookie's OP .. was all that "stuff" resulted in *not* fully enjoying playing golf nor being out on the course ... and _that_ resulted in a downward death spiral of further poor performance......

Good news is the last two times out (just 9 hole rounds) have turned it around and am back to enjoying being out there and am starting to hit the ball better.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Reviewing the year, my biggest disappointment was not hitting the index target I set for myself. Second biggest disappoint was that I didn't continue my workout plans as intended.

On the other hand I got 80+ rounds in and pretty happy about that given I'm 72. My drives are a big improvement - they're dead straight now, I'm more consistent with my woods and hybrids (re: distance and dispersion).

So what do I need to do for 2020? It's really to straighten out my head vs. my swing. I still get bogged down when I have a bad hole and the recovery takes several holes.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1) Play a bogey free round.

2) Lower handicap to scratch

3) Become competitive again in tournaments. 

These are the 3 goals I set for myself in September of 2017 for my golf game. And have devoted myself to achieving them. May of 2018 I injured my back, something that I still deal with daily. There are good days and bad days and sometimes it just depends on how I sleep as to which is which. 2018 was not a great golf year. Enter 2019, Jan I took my first lesson after beating my head against a wall trying to get rid of a two way miss. I basically spent the whole year working through that, I had 20+ years on swinging improperly ingrained. I have finally got my swing to the point that I want it and am now able to move into correcting other things. never thought it would take me so long, but I digress.

2019 was an up & down year. I reached 1.5 of my goals. I reached an index of 0.0 and was competitive in a couple of tournaments, not great but competitive. The bogey free round still eludes me. I had one round where I made 1 bogey and another where I had 1 double. So it's close, just not there yet. I played a lot of golf and enjoyed all of my rounds, got to play many good courses and even got out with a fellow spy for the first time. Almost any golf is good and 2019 was another great year for that. 

2020 my goals are basically the same. I would like to keep the handicap at scratch for a longer period of time, be competitive in more tournaments and chase that clean card. I will be continuing with Fit For Golf training and will be taking a series of lessons in early spring when there is enough daylight to actually practice. 

Here's to 2020 🍻

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1) Play a bogey free round.
2) Lower handicap to scratch
3) Become competitive again in tournaments. 

These are the 3 goals I set for myself in September of 2017 for my golf game. And have devoted myself to achieving them. May of 2018 I injured my back, something that I still deal with daily. There are good days and bad days and sometimes it just depends on how I sleep as to which is which. 2018 was not a great golf year. Enter 2019, Jan I took my first lesson after beating my head against a wall trying to get rid of a two way miss. I basically spent the whole year working through that, I had 20+ years on swinging improperly ingrained. I have finally got my swing to the point that I want it and am now able to move into correcting other things. never thought it would take me so long, but I digress.
2019 was an up & down year. I reached 1.5 of my goals. I reached an index of 0.0 and was competitive in a couple of tournaments, not great but competitive. The bogey free round still eludes me. I had one round where I made 1 bogey and another where I had 1 double. So it's close, just not there yet. I played a lot of golf and enjoyed all of my rounds, got to play many good courses and even got out with a fellow spy for the first time. Almost any golf is good and 2019 was another great year for that. 
2020 my goals are basically the same. I would like to keep the handicap at scratch for a longer period of time, be competitive in more tournaments and chase that clean card. I will be continuing with Fit For Golf training and will be taking a series of lessons in early spring when there is enough daylight to actually practice. 
Here's to 2020 

I need to look at that fit for golf program myself. Now that I’ve been laying dead still on a couch or a bed for a month straight, I’m gonna need to do something to get back into some kind of golf playing shape for this coming year

I need to look at that fit for golf program myself. Now that I’ve been laying dead still on a couch or a bed for a month straight, I’m gonna need to do something to get back into some kind of golf playing shape for this coming year

How's the recovery coming along?

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

How's the recovery coming along?

Today has been my first “good” day. Down to only having to take Tylenol a couple times a day, so that’s good. I’m hoping I can get to Thanksgiving at the in-laws next week! Thanks for asking!

On 11/16/2019 at 1:10 PM, PMookie said:

Horrible scoring year for me this year. I very rarely got out to practice with the change in houses, and the job affecting my ability to play a whole heck of a lot, at least until summertime. I end the year with a two way miss off the teebox, reduced greens in regulation compared to a year ago, chipping yips, and just about everything else. I’m pretty frustrated with my game at this point, and my handicap moved from 5.6 all the way to 7.7 according to my latest GHIN update. A two-stroke rise is not what I was hoping for this year.

My biggest problem was lessons from three different coaches, so not a cohesive way to improve a swing. I will be moving forward with just using the Mike Bender approach, and I hope I make a little bit of bonus money to be able to continue to send him video for lessons. Just been an absolutely rough year on the golf course. Way more 90s than I’ve had in a long time, with very few 70s to offset that. I’m praying this coming year will be better as I will be closer to home, and hopefully back to practicing more often. I hate being a bogey golfer!

On the upside, you're playing in 2020 and every new season gives each of us an opportunity to improve. 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Horrible scoring year for me this year. I very rarely got out to practice with the change in houses, and the job affecting my ability to play a whole heck of a lot, at least until summertime. I end the year with a two way miss off the teebox, reduced greens in regulation compared to a year ago, chipping yips, and just about everything else. I’m pretty frustrated with my game at this point, and my handicap moved from 5.6 all the way to 7.7 according to my latest GHIN update. A two-stroke rise is not what I was hoping for this year.

My biggest problem was lessons from three different coaches, so not a cohesive way to improve a swing. I will be moving forward with just using the Mike Bender approach, and I hope I make a little bit of bonus money to be able to continue to send him video for lessons. Just been an absolutely rough year on the golf course. Way more 90s than I’ve had in a long time, with very few 70s to offset that. I’m praying this coming year will be better as I will be closer to home, and hopefully back to practicing more often. I hate being a bogey golfer!

It’s not the destination that is important, it’s the journey that brings lasting joy. If you really think about it your most enjoyable golf experiences have very little to do with the score card. What you remember most is the total experience highlighted by the people and the place.

While I do play what I consider handicap rounds, for the most part I don’t even keep score. Yes, after a round I could probably count up my strokes from each hole but honestly what is the purpose.

If Golf brings you joy then it’s the Golf not the score that does so.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

It’s not the destination that is important, it’s the journey that brings lasting joy. If you really think about it your most enjoyable golf experiences have very little to do with the score card. What you remember most is the total experience highlighted by the people and the place.

While I do play what I consider handicap rounds, for the most part I don’t even keep score. Yes, after a round I could probably count up my strokes from each hole but honestly what is the purpose.

If Golf brings you joy then it’s the Golf not the score that does so.

My rounds are always happier when I’m playing well. Scenery and a 95 is not enjoyable to me. I’m a competitor, always have been. I’m always trying to score well. That’s fun to me. I played some nice courses this year, as I’ve mentioned, and I played them pretty well. That was the most fun ever!!! Others might have fun just “being out there”, I can’t. Executing shots, making putts, beating the course is where I find joy. A two-way miss at Pebble sucks....... Period.

My rounds are always happier when I’m playing well. Scenery and a 95 is not enjoyable to me. I’m a competitor, always have been. I’m always trying to score well. That’s fun to me. I played some nice courses this year, as I’ve mentioned, and I played them pretty well. That was the most fun ever!!! Others might have fun just “being out there”, I can’t. Executing shots, making putts, beating the course is where I find joy. A two-way miss at Pebble sucks....... Period.

Was just trying to offer you a different perspective that might help you enjoy the shanks as much as the aces. I’ll always remember the people and places over the performance. This comes from a guy who shot a 63 this summer.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges.