PMookie

2019 sucked

Our Sponsors

On 11/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, cnosil said:

Wasn't too happy with my year; just felt like I could play better than I have been.   Who knows,  trying too hard,  over compensating,  just a downward trend in the game, too much wrong practice,  too little practice,  too much instruction,  too little instruction.....etc.     Been getting frustrated over the last month or so since my iron play has been so poor. 

::raises hand::
Yep .. all those same kinda things here, too....
(along with some back spasms that refused to cooperate in playing golf the second half of the summer)

But biggest problem, I think .. and possibly echoes PMookie's OP .. was all that "stuff" resulted in *not* fully enjoying playing golf nor being out on the course ... and _that_ resulted in a downward death spiral of further poor performance......

Good news is the last two times out (just 9 hole rounds) have turned it around and am back to enjoying being out there and am starting to hit the ball better.

• Like 6

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

Reviewing the year, my biggest disappointment was not hitting the index target I set for myself. Second biggest disappoint was that I didn't continue my workout plans as intended.

On the other hand I got 80+ rounds in and pretty happy about that given I'm 72. My drives are a big improvement - they're dead straight now, I'm more consistent with my woods and hybrids (re: distance and dispersion).

So what do I need to do for 2020? It's really to straighten out my head vs. my swing. I still get bogged down when I have a bad hole and the recovery takes several holes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

1) Play a bogey free round.

2) Lower handicap to scratch

3) Become competitive again in tournaments. 

These are the 3 goals I set for myself in September of 2017 for my golf game. And have devoted myself to achieving them. May of 2018 I injured my back, something that I still deal with daily. There are good days and bad days and sometimes it just depends on how I sleep as to which is which. 2018 was not a great golf year. Enter 2019, Jan I took my first lesson after beating my head against a wall trying to get rid of a two way miss. I basically spent the whole year working through that, I had 20+ years on swinging improperly ingrained. I have finally got my swing to the point that I want it and am now able to move into correcting other things. never thought it would take me so long, but I digress.

2019 was an up & down year. I reached 1.5 of my goals. I reached an index of 0.0 and was competitive in a couple of tournaments, not great but competitive. The bogey free round still eludes me. I had one round where I made 1 bogey and another where I had 1 double. So it's close, just not there yet. I played a lot of golf and enjoyed all of my rounds, got to play many good courses and even got out with a fellow spy for the first time. Almost any golf is good and 2019 was another great year for that. 

2020 my goals are basically the same. I would like to keep the handicap at scratch for a longer period of time, be competitive in more tournaments and chase that clean card. I will be continuing with Fit For Golf training and will be taking a series of lessons in early spring when there is enough daylight to actually practice. 

Here's to 2020 🍻

• Like 4

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1) Play a bogey free round.
2) Lower handicap to scratch
3) Become competitive again in tournaments. 

These are the 3 goals I set for myself in September of 2017 for my golf game. And have devoted myself to achieving them. May of 2018 I injured my back, something that I still deal with daily. There are good days and bad days and sometimes it just depends on how I sleep as to which is which. 2018 was not a great golf year. Enter 2019, Jan I took my first lesson after beating my head against a wall trying to get rid of a two way miss. I basically spent the whole year working through that, I had 20+ years on swinging improperly ingrained. I have finally got my swing to the point that I want it and am now able to move into correcting other things. never thought it would take me so long, but I digress.
2019 was an up & down year. I reached 1.5 of my goals. I reached an index of 0.0 and was competitive in a couple of tournaments, not great but competitive. The bogey free round still eludes me. I had one round where I made 1 bogey and another where I had 1 double. So it's close, just not there yet. I played a lot of golf and enjoyed all of my rounds, got to play many good courses and even got out with a fellow spy for the first time. Almost any golf is good and 2019 was another great year for that. 
2020 my goals are basically the same. I would like to keep the handicap at scratch for a longer period of time, be competitive in more tournaments and chase that clean card. I will be continuing with Fit For Golf training and will be taking a series of lessons in early spring when there is enough daylight to actually practice. 
Here's to 2020 

I need to look at that fit for golf program myself. Now that I’ve been laying dead still on a couch or a bed for a month straight, I’m gonna need to do something to get back into some kind of golf playing shape for this coming year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I need to look at that fit for golf program myself. Now that I’ve been laying dead still on a couch or a bed for a month straight, I’m gonna need to do something to get back into some kind of golf playing shape for this coming year

How's the recovery coming along?

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

How's the recovery coming along?

Today has been my first “good” day. Down to only having to take Tylenol a couple times a day, so that’s good. I’m hoping I can get to Thanksgiving at the in-laws next week! Thanks for asking!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 11/16/2019 at 1:10 PM, PMookie said:

Horrible scoring year for me this year. I very rarely got out to practice with the change in houses, and the job affecting my ability to play a whole heck of a lot, at least until summertime. I end the year with a two way miss off the teebox, reduced greens in regulation compared to a year ago, chipping yips, and just about everything else. I’m pretty frustrated with my game at this point, and my handicap moved from 5.6 all the way to 7.7 according to my latest GHIN update. A two-stroke rise is not what I was hoping for this year.

My biggest problem was lessons from three different coaches, so not a cohesive way to improve a swing. I will be moving forward with just using the Mike Bender approach, and I hope I make a little bit of bonus money to be able to continue to send him video for lessons. Just been an absolutely rough year on the golf course. Way more 90s than I’ve had in a long time, with very few 70s to offset that. I’m praying this coming year will be better as I will be closer to home, and hopefully back to practicing more often. I hate being a bogey golfer!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

On the upside, you're playing in 2020 and every new season gives each of us an opportunity to improve. 👍

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Horrible scoring year for me this year. I very rarely got out to practice with the change in houses, and the job affecting my ability to play a whole heck of a lot, at least until summertime. I end the year with a two way miss off the teebox, reduced greens in regulation compared to a year ago, chipping yips, and just about everything else. I’m pretty frustrated with my game at this point, and my handicap moved from 5.6 all the way to 7.7 according to my latest GHIN update. A two-stroke rise is not what I was hoping for this year.

My biggest problem was lessons from three different coaches, so not a cohesive way to improve a swing. I will be moving forward with just using the Mike Bender approach, and I hope I make a little bit of bonus money to be able to continue to send him video for lessons. Just been an absolutely rough year on the golf course. Way more 90s than I’ve had in a long time, with very few 70s to offset that. I’m praying this coming year will be better as I will be closer to home, and hopefully back to practicing more often. I hate being a bogey golfer!

It’s not the destination that is important, it’s the journey that brings lasting joy. If you really think about it your most enjoyable golf experiences have very little to do with the score card. What you remember most is the total experience highlighted by the people and the place.

While I do play what I consider handicap rounds, for the most part I don’t even keep score. Yes, after a round I could probably count up my strokes from each hole but honestly what is the purpose.

If Golf brings you joy then it’s the Golf not the score that does so.

• Like 4

It’s not the destination that is important, it’s the journey that brings lasting joy. If you really think about it your most enjoyable golf experiences have very little to do with the score card. What you remember most is the total experience highlighted by the people and the place.

While I do play what I consider handicap rounds, for the most part I don’t even keep score. Yes, after a round I could probably count up my strokes from each hole but honestly what is the purpose.

If Golf brings you joy then it’s the Golf not the score that does so.

My rounds are always happier when I’m playing well. Scenery and a 95 is not enjoyable to me. I’m a competitor, always have been. I’m always trying to score well. That’s fun to me. I played some nice courses this year, as I’ve mentioned, and I played them pretty well. That was the most fun ever!!! Others might have fun just “being out there”, I can’t. Executing shots, making putts, beating the course is where I find joy. A two-way miss at Pebble sucks....... Period.

• Like 2

My rounds are always happier when I’m playing well. Scenery and a 95 is not enjoyable to me. I’m a competitor, always have been. I’m always trying to score well. That’s fun to me. I played some nice courses this year, as I’ve mentioned, and I played them pretty well. That was the most fun ever!!! Others might have fun just “being out there”, I can’t. Executing shots, making putts, beating the course is where I find joy. A two-way miss at Pebble sucks....... Period.

Was just trying to offer you a different perspective that might help you enjoy the shanks as much as the aces. I’ll always remember the people and places over the performance. This comes from a guy who shot a 63 this summer.

• Like 5

Was just trying to offer you a different perspective that might help you enjoy the shanks as much as the aces. I’ll always remember the people and places over the performance. This comes from a guy who shot a 63 this summer.

I appreciate it!!!

• Like 1

2019 wasn't ideal for me on the golf department. Handicap essentially remained unchanged. I didn't practice anywhere near enough to get better. And I didn't play in any tournaments. And it was a bit rough in the personal life as well as my wife was diagnosed with skin cancer (thankfully it's been removed and all looks good), my mother in law was diagnosed with liver cancer, and my grandma was diagnosed with throat cancer. Cancer can suck it...

But I will say the birth of our little daughter has been the gift that keeps on giving. I love her so unbelievably much. And the start of my new business venture has done alright so far, and I'm hoping it takes off after the holidays.

Life is a lot of ups and downs...and no matter your situation, things sometimes come hard and fast. But I've learned you do your best, and move on the best you can.

I'm welcoming 2020 with open arms and an open mind with both my golf game and life in general. I'm planning a more focused practice/playing schedule and time with family. And of course putting my heart and soul into a business I believe in more than anything.

Here's to a great 2020 for all. IMG_20190930_172153.jpg.127bbcb8de0c0804b7c1a4d938fc17fe.jpgIMG_20191031_172054.jpg.688428e3ef68883238b4dd58a7c5be07.jpgdownload_20191023_132046.jpg.710d68ece3a924343c3e7643d8f38925.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Awesome

• Like 4

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

@pmookie - still down about the past season? Hope you're looking ahead to '20!

I was a bit down on myself, too, but a few lessons with a new coach and a few productive practice sessions recently and I am feeling kinda positive for the coming year!!

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring" 😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*; Tensei CK Blue)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR)
..Tour Edge HL4 #4 iron-wood (UST Mamiya)
..Callaway Big Bertha CF19 6i (Recoil ZTR) / Apex CF16 7i-PW (Recoil ES 760)
..Hogan Equalizer 50/54/58 black (Recoil ES 760 black SmacWrap)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator...
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/39526-2020-official-member-review-exputt-putting-simulator/page/1/#comments

@pmookie - still down about the past season? Hope you're looking ahead to '20!

I was a bit down on myself, too, but a few lessons with a new coach and a few productive practice sessions recently and I am feeling kinda positive for the coming year!!

Yeah, trying to scrounge up another $150 for a second lesson with Mike Bender. I need some range time right now. Just need to do my drills and get these few adjustments ingrained.

• Like 3