edingc

Weed Torched Stainless Wedges

Great write up and step by step.  I agree they look 100% better, well done!

• Like 2

Hey total wacky non-golf related side question.. how does the torch do with finishing a sous vide steak? I've been curious about any possible propane flavor on the meat but I'm the only person in my own crazy world who even knows what the hell a sous vide even is so I can't really ask around. I use a cast iron pan but it's really easy to further cook the meat by the time you get a good caramelization.. and I've seen a bunch of videos recommending the torch approach.

"Sous vide everything" is a fun YouTube channel.

Excellent job on the wedges BTW!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Hey total wacky non-golf related side question.. how does the torch do with finishing a sous vide steak? I've been curious about any possible propane flavor on the meat but I'm the only person in my own crazy world who even knows what the hell a sous vide even is so I can't really ask around. I use a cast iron pan but it's really easy to further cook the meat by the time you get a good caramelization.. and I've seen a bunch of videos recommending the torch approach.

"Sous vide everything" is a fun YouTube channel.

Excellent job on the wedges BTW!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

I haven't used it a ton, but I often will use a combo of cast iron on the stovetop with a smaller handheld propane torch with good results. I don't notice any propane flavors, the important thing is to make sure the torch is lit before pointing it at the food. Based on my reading most of the "off" flavors are the result of uncombusted propane that can happen before it is fully ignited.

Part of the reason I haven't used it a lot is that I'm a little gun shy - I warped one of my nice stainless cooking racks with it (turned a blue/purple color - part of the inspiration for this project) and I haven't tried it since. Next time I think I'd put a cast iron pan right on the driveway and then blast the steaks inside of there! 

They look great! And good tip on the screwdriver/bolt - I could definitely see myself burning a hole through an oven mitt had I not read that warning.

Any residual scorching on the driveway or did the brick do a good job taking the brunt of the heat? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaturdayGolfer said:

They look great! And good tip on the screwdriver/bolt - I could definitely see myself burning a hole through an oven mitt had I not read that warning.

Any residual scorching on the driveway or did the brick do a good job taking the brunt of the heat? 

Thanks!

No scorching on the driveway or the brick. I made sure to cool the brick in a snowbank as well.

I ordered some shafts for these this past weekend and will be building them soon.

The 52 degree is looking really nice when shafted up with a black and white ferrule from msfix13 on eBay.

I went with a cheap Apollo Standard Stepless shaft from Hireko, trimmed to stiff, soft-stepped once. Just need a slight turn on the ferrule to get it flush with the hosel. Adding a black Star Sidewinder grip tomorrow morning to finish it off and it will be heading out to the range shortly thereafter to give it a whirl.

Based on Hireko's DSFI numbers, the Apollo Stepless should feel similar to my C-Taper Lites, but about 10 grams heavier with a slightly softer tip. At 35.5" playing length, it's going to come close to D8 swingweight, about four points heavier than my mid-irons. We'll see how that works out.

Total cost for each of the wedges will be around $26, $78 or so for all three. If they perform decently, that's a great deal.

IMG_29112019_181431_(800_x_1067_pixel).jpg.09a682a04230f8dc9d308798b1df5b66.jpg

• Like 2