Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno Shaft Optimizer

Could anybody tell me what a 5436 with an 86 SS means from a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer? The guy at GG let me try one out but no one on staff knew what the readings meant. The device itself was a little glitchy, so that was only one (cautious) swing also. Thank you in advance.

Ok Jamo...

Software recommends

1) Dynamic Gold S300

2) Project X 5.5

3) KBS Stiff.

In that order.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

no worries. I am still trying to figure a way to post your chart, but my work computers are from the 1990's and firewalled like there is no tomorrow.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Sorry if my response came out a little (or a lot) douche-y. For some reason I couldn't seem to think of a way to put it into words. It should have been something closer to "Well then it's a good thing that I already have S300s in my irons :) " or something like that.

Didn't even come across that way....

Could anybody tell me what a 5436 with an 86 SS means from a Mizuno Shaft Optimizer? The guy at GG let me try one out but no one on staff knew what the readings meant. The device itself was a little glitchy, so that was only one (cautious) swing also. Thank you in advance.

Did a demo day with Mizuno last year and the shaft optimizer pointed me to x-stiff shafts but the Mizuno rep said, " I think you should be in a stiff " and gave me those to hit. I went along but it just served to confuse me. Do the reps find the optimizer inaccurate? Is my swing so tortured that he figured an old guy like me can't possibly require an X shaft? Both possible...but didn't help me..went with my S300's after all was said and done.

But made me wonder about the accuracy of the optimizer. Accurate tool or cute marketing toy?

Did a demo day with Mizuno last year and the shaft optimizer pointed me to x-stiff shafts but the Mizuno rep said, " I think you should be in a stiff " and gave me those to hit. I went along but it just served to confuse me. Do the reps find the optimizer inaccurate? Is my swing so tortured that he figured an old guy like me can't possibly require an X shaft? Both possible...but didn't help me..went with my S300's after all was said and done.

But made me wonder about the accuracy of the optimizer. Accurate tool or cute marketing toy?

I work with this tool every day. I feel like it gives a very accurate starting spot. The way it is intended to work, IMO, is to give the fitter and player some options. Then you go and try them. Sometimes the results can be surprising.

I work with this tool every day. I feel like it gives a very accurate starting spot. The way it is intended to work, IMO, is to give the fitter and player some options. Then you go and try them. Sometimes the results can be surprising.

I've never got to play with this tool (though I'd love to), but I agree. From what I've been taught, you get a starting shaft flex based on swing speed and make tweaks from there. If you have an agressive tempo, going stiffer is usually a good idea. But if your tempo's smooth, you can still be successfully fit into a softer flexed shaft.

Nic, I do have a qustion about the Optimizer... Does all it's recommendations end up being TTDG's, PX's and KBS's? I don't have any "real" experience with this thing, but based on the few people I've talked to about this, that's all it recommends. Would it recommend any other shafts than the "big three"?

Nic, I do have a qustion about the Optimizer... Does all it's recommendations end up being TTDG's, PX's and KBS's? I don't have any "real" experience with this thing, but based on the few people I've talked to about this, that's all it recommends. Would it recommend any other shafts than the "big three"?

It recommends the shafts that Mizuno sells. TT, PjX, KBS all come out fairly frequently. It also gives a Rifle option on every fit, and will recommend a stepping option where applicable.

It recommends the shafts that Mizuno sells. TT, PjX, KBS all come out fairly frequently. It also gives a Rifle option on every fit, and will recommend a stepping option where applicable.

Aaaahh... thanks for that, Nic! A stepping option sounds pretty interesting.

Thanks for the clarification...Makes sense..

Hey Nic, I was recommended the DG X100s, PX 6.5s, and KBS XS. Do you know the difference between the KBS Tour and FST Pro? I've been thinking about going FST Pro 125's, since they are $15 less per shaft than the KBS. My buddy is a fitter and he wants me to go either Tour Issue X100s or PX 6.5s (which are the two brands he sells in his shop), but he said if I bring in the FST and KBS, he'll put all 4 in 7Is and put me on the LM to see what gives me the best numbers. This is probably what I'm going to do, but I'd still like to get a little knowledge before I spend $50 on shafts that I might not use. Thanks.

• SPY VIP

Just my personal 2 cents... I've found that Project X launch the highest of the bunch, DG, the lowest, with KBS in the middle.

There are obviously other factors the Mizuno optimizer looks at. One thing the Mizuno Optimizer can't quantify is feel, and my perception, having at one time or another played clubs with all 3, with the Project X, you feel every bit of the stiffness, where the KBS tends to be, what I guess you might call, smoother.

This also being 100% subjective, the Optimizer recommended for me:

1. KBS Tour - X-stiff, soft-stepped once.

2. Project X 6.0

3. DynamicGold X-Stiff, soft-stepped once.

I had never tried the KBS either, but since it was for a set of test irons, I figured what the hell, why not take the chance. Very glad I did it.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Hey Nic, I was recommended the DG X100s, PX 6.5s, and KBS XS. Do you know the difference between the KBS Tour and FST Pro? I've been thinking about going FST Pro 125's, since they are $15 less per shaft than the KBS. My buddy is a fitter and he wants me to go either Tour Issue X100s or PX 6.5s (which are the two brands he sells in his shop), but he said if I bring in the FST and KBS, he'll put all 4 in 7Is and put me on the LM to see what gives me the best numbers. This is probably what I'm going to do, but I'd still like to get a little knowledge before I spend $50 on shafts that I might not use. Thanks.

We do not carry the FST in the shop, but I know that we have installed then quickly uninstalled a set for one of the local fellas who tries all the new stuff. (I think that he was not impressed.) :blink: Matt is right. It is a matter of flight and feel. What do you like? What have you been playing? If you are considering a shaft change, what are you trying to achieve? Do you prefer heavier or lighter weight shafts? ect..... Good Luck. :huh:

We do not carry the FST in the shop, but I know that we have installed then quickly uninstalled a set for one of the local fellas who tries all the new stuff. (I think that he was not impressed.) :blink: Matt is right. It is a matter of flight and feel. What do you like? What have you been playing? If you are considering a shaft change, what are you trying to achieve? Do you prefer heavier or lighter weight shafts? ect..... Good Luck. :huh:

Thanks. I currently game DG S300s and I'm looking for a lower ball flight. I have PX 6.5s in my wedges and I get the exact ball flight I'm looking for, I hit my 56* lower than my 5I. The problem is, I'm not really wanting to drop $300 on a set of shafts, so I was looking for some cheaper options. Anyone have any thoughts on the Apollo Humps? I know Furyk and Vijay are gaming them, but I'm not sure what kind of shot they promote.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived