Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

senior golf

pops

I play in a 18 hole senior golf league.  Players under 50 are allowed to participate do to the lack of senior golfers.   The league rules state that 70 and under play from the white tees, and over play from the gold.  Many golfers fall in the 62 to 70 range.  This group feels they are being penalized.  They feel they can't compete with the younger long ball hitters.  Super seniors at 80 can play from the reds.  My thoughts are that with my handicap at 18, my chances are slim that I can consistently beat a single digit to 12 handicap golfer.  I am going to propose at are preliminary golf meeting this spring, 62 and older hit from the senior tees, and under 62 hit from the whites.  Of course, super seniors hit from the red. Some of my friends feel we should follow the PGA senior tour, with everybody over fifty hit from the same tee.  Welcome feedback.

We play Seniors at 65 or over.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

We play Seniors at 65 or over.....

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8(10.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(17.0*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid; Ben Hogan PTx 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Also 65 and older Sr, 70 is Super Sr.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 2:59 PM, tony@CIC said:

However, one advantage of the guys playing forward tees is that on several holes at our Club, it takes water or other penalty areas out of play.

I would think that course ratings should take into account the fact that those penalty areas are out of play from those tees.  But playing mixed tees can be a little fraught.  My dad worked for ages with his senior group to get them to adjust handicaps based on course rating differences, per the USGA guidelines:  https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=6

On 11/22/2019 at 8:18 AM, ole gray said:

I currently  play the whites with a 58 year old who hits a long ball however there are four long par four holes that require I hit a hybrid on approach shots. They told me to move up with the old guys and I am considering mix tees.  Playing the whites on everything except those long par fours.

In this day and age, we really ought to be able to rate each hole individually from each tee to come up with a course rating from any combination of tees.  There are far more useless applications of technology these days.  But until then, you can create your own mixed tees and turn in scores with the following:  https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=14.  My older daughter used to do this because some courses she'd play had forward tees that were way too short on some holes, but middle tees that were far too long on others, so she'd pick tees to make up a fun golf course.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:39 AM, TheWahoo said:

Honest handicaps applied to an effective or adequate system should produce results where tee position  materially do not or should not matter.   Unfortunately, personally, that does not seem to be the case

See above for making adjustments.  And welcome back, Wahoo, even if it's just a guest appearance.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

This thread got me thinking about "age groups/flights" in sports.  When you're very young, being old is advantage.  But when you're old, not so much 🙂.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2019 at 11:54 AM, pops said:

I play in a 18 hole senior golf league.  Players under 50 are allowed to participate do to the lack of senior golfers.   The league rules state that 70 and under play from the white tees, and over play from the gold.  Many golfers fall in the 62 to 70 range.  This group feels they are being penalized.  They feel they can't compete with the younger long ball hitters.  Super seniors at 80 can play from the reds.  My thoughts are that with my handicap at 18, my chances are slim that I can consistently beat a single digit to 12 handicap golfer.  I am going to propose at are preliminary golf meeting this spring, 62 and older hit from the senior tees, and under 62 hit from the whites.  Of course, super seniors hit from the red. Some of my friends feel we should follow the PGA senior tour, with everybody over fifty hit from the same tee.  Welcome feedback.

I believe a ONE HUNDRED RULE is a good solution to the "problem" of age x ability. Quite simply, if your age plus your handicap equals 100 or more, you play from the ladies tee. A 64 year old off 36 and an 80 year old off 20 play off the ladies tee. If you're 75 and play off 5, if you're 95 and play off 4, forget it- you don't need help

The fairest system I've seen used is the AGE + Handicap arrangement, where some number is selected and if age plus handicap reach that point, they can move forward.  Other than that, the handicap system (assuming you don't have sandbaggers (aka cheaters)), should take care of the variances in skill and distance.  If your course is correctly rated and you use the GHIN handicap for the tees being played, adjustments should resolve the differences of tees.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I have played in tournaments for many years and have found that the same group will always win. Sorry, there is so way around it. Adjust to make it a little bit fairer but you will find some people are just better and/or work on their handicap and you just have to accept that. Play for the fun of it.

It's interesting how 'handicaps' work in different sports or activities. I use to race sailboats for many years and the 'handicap' or in our terminology, PHRF is solely based on the boat's performance rating vs. skill of the skipper and crew. Can you imagine how that would would in golf😱. I lobbied the PHRF committee many times to make adjustments based on the skippers abilities - since as in amateur golf the same people would win most of the time.  

Sorry for the hijack.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

28 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

It's interesting how 'handicaps' work in different sports or activities. I use to race sailboats for many years and the 'handicap' or in our terminology, PHRF is solely based on the boat's performance rating vs. skill of the skipper and crew. Can you imagine how that would would in golf😱. I lobbied the PHRF committee many times to make adjustments based on the skippers abilities - since as in amateur golf the same people would win most of the time.  

Sorry for the hijack.

+1. I raced sailboats for 25 years as well, to the exclusion of golf for 15 years, and I couldn't agree more. There were always some gift ratings in PHRF, and some impossible ratings that caused people to sell/trade boats. Other handicap systems all had their flaws too, such that one-design racing (everyone in exactly the same make/model boat no mods allowed) has increased in popularity. Interestingly yacht clubs are suffering from the same afflictions as (golf) country clubs, for largely the same reasons.

Now I leisure sail, and resumed golf about 4-5 years ago - WAY, WAY CHEAPER!

Sorry for the hijack.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

This one is tough for me. At 65, I play to an index of 0.9. Taken out of context, this doesn't reflect the length of course I normally play which is about 6400-6600 yards. At this length, I can get around pretty well. When forced to move back to 6800-7000 yards and compete with the young guys at the same handicap, I am at a distinct disadvantage. The young guys typically hit the driver 25-40 yards past me. That means not only are they that much closer to the green after the tee shot, but they also hit 1-2 clubs less from the same distance. Pretty hard to compete in this situation, the odds are drastically in favor of the young guys......

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15 / 18.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3H 20° (set for 22)

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T