TESTERS WANTED! ×

Who's Gaming Crossovers?

fixyurdivot

Are you bagging a crossover and where does it fit in your line up?  Did it replace a hybrid or fairway wood?  I'm looking for something between my G410 4i and G400 3w and will finally be able to test the crossovers and hybrids at the PING Demo Day next week 🤗.  I've never played either style club and really have no idea which will be best suited.  I almost just bought a used G400 5w to fit that spot in the bag but think I want something that offers good distance and hit-ability out of the rough.  I've now watched a half dozen videos comparing the G410 C/O and Hybrids and it seems more of the reviewers favor the hybrid.  I'm curious what others are finding out in choosing between the relatively new crossover irons and hybrids?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Are you bagging a crossover and where does it fit in your line up?  Did it replace a hybrid or fairway wood?  I'm looking for something between my G410 4i and G400 3w and will finally be able to test the crossovers and hybrids at the PING Demo Day next week .  I've never played either style club and really have no idea which will be best suited.  I almost just bought a used G400 5w to fit that spot in the bag but think I want something that offers good distance and hit-ability out of the rough.  I've now watched a half dozen videos comparing the G410 C/O and Hybrids and it seems more of the reviewers favor the hybrid.  I'm curious what others are finding out in choosing between the relatively new crossover irons and hybrids?  

I had a G400 crossover (3), tried real hard to keep it in my bag but it just didn't work for me. By the way I bought a 410 22* hybrid and LOVE it. The 410 (Tensi shaft) replaced an old G 22*. I'm getting narrower dispersion and more distance. 26* will be on the shopping list for next spring.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'm currently testing a 410 Crossover 4i for the last spot in my bag. I wasn't happy with the height of my 4i when I was gaming the 900 Tours, and didn't think the 919 Forged would be significantly different. It's only 2* stronger than my 919F 5i but the added length and nature of the head itself is gapping pretty nicely in my one-round test so far. The sound isn't the greatest, and it definitely doesn't feel as nice as my 900 Tour 4i did, but the results were nice yesterday.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

How would you classify the Tour Edge Hot Launch 4 Ironwood?  Is it a hybrid?  Is it a crossover?  It's a Twinkie on a UST Mamiya.  I'd say it's the ugliest club I've ever gamed, but I had the original TM Rescue with the Burner Bubble shaft*.

I have the 2i right now (18*), replacing the Cobra F8 3 hybrid.  It's actually longer than the 3 hybrid and may replace my 3 wood.  I'm pretty sure there's a 3i in my future.

* Fun fact - In the early 90s, I worked for an intellectual property law firm, and Salomon (then the owner of TaylorMade) was one of our clients.  I got to work on (fill out the cover sheets and staple) the patent application for the Bubble shaft.  It looked stupid in the patent application as well.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Just attended the PING Demo (course pro shop) and tested the G410 2 and 3 crossover, the 3 hybrid, and the 5 and 7 woods. I hit all of these from the short grass and rough. A big fat no on the hybrid.  I didn't like the feel at all and could not hit it consistently.  I tended to draw that club quite a bit - kind of odd. The 2 and 3 C/O's seemed fine but the distance was pretty close to one another and neither as long as I would have hoped.  The 3 actually quite close to my 4i. He then had me hit the 7w while they went to get a 5w set-up with the correct shaft.  Boy is this a sweet hitting club, easy to hit, and straight as heck!  It was yielding distance close to the 2 and 3 C/O's but dropping like a sack of sand.  I then tried the 5w and it too was very nice to hit, had nearly the same ball flight, but looks to have the distance I'm trying to fill.  Both were able to get the ball out of the moderate rough as well (even better) than the C/O's and definitely better than the hybrid.

It was quite blustery today, and I was hitting straight into it - making it tough to capture consistent data.  Good thing is that the  PING staff and semi truck will be doing demos and fittings on 12/14 and I can now just focus on which wood will work best. Also good news for my wife when she asks what I want for Christmas 🙂.

Side note.  Watching me hit, the teaching pro asked what my handicap is.  I told him I don't keep an official one but that it runs between 12-14.  He chuckled and said, "we need to work on your short game - I don't see too many 12-14 players hitting long irons and woods like you have this morning".  That was nice to hear and gives me hope I might still be able to get into single digits before I reach the end.

Are we talking specifically the ping “crossover” utility iron? Or all utility/driving irons? If the second is the case, I play a cobra king utility at 18 degrees and love it. Might be my fav club in my bag.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

55 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Are we talking specifically the ping “crossover” utility iron? Or all utility/driving irons? If the second is the case, I play a cobra king utility at 18 degrees and love it. Might be my fav club in my bag.

No, I was asking crossovers of all makes.  i'm not really sure the difference between a utility iron and a crossover... it seems the marketeers have us splitting the proverbial atom at times.

I asked the guys this morning what they have seen in sales and both quickly stated that far fewer folks are buying C/O's than hybrid or fairway woods.  As one who finds his game more or less in the middle of the bell curve, I tend to pay attention to what the masses are purchasing - and presumably playing.  I really thought I'd need/want a iron style club for getting out of the thicker rough, but was pleasantly surprised how well both the 5 and 7w worked. In fact, I hit some from partial divots on the thick grass and with the balls sitting quite low - and still launched them pretty good.

I am just now seeing this, but I have the PING G400 driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 4 crossover in my bag.  Basically the difference between the hybrid and crossover is hitability and distance.  I trust the hybrid more than I do the 4 crossover, and yes the hybrid has a tendency to draw/hook.  The 3 hybrid I hit about 205 and the 4 crossover goes about 195.  The crossover has more flexibility for me, as I can work it left to right and right to left a lot easier then I can the hybrid.  '

Honestly though, I rarely hit the hybrid or crossover during a round, at least at my home course, and the only time I pull 3 wood is on the 2nd shot of par 5s when I have a decent lie in the fairway and have a chance to reach the green.  But course management can dictate I pull 7 irons on those par 5s and just layup and take my chances with a wedge into the green.

And honestly, I think the PING nailed it with regards to working on your short game.  Count the number of times you hit chip shots from 90 yards and in, versus the number of times you'll hit a hybrid or that crossover, and you know why I hit my lob wedge every time I warm up on the range, and I rarely if ever touch the hybrid or crossover on the range.

All of these clubs have a permanent home in my bag, but those longer distance clubs are used sparingly at best at least by me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

17 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

No, I was asking crossovers of all makes.  i'm not really sure the difference between a utility iron and a crossover... it seems the marketeers have us splitting the proverbial atom at times.

I asked the guys this morning what they have seen in sales and both quickly stated that far fewer folks are buying C/O's than hybrid or fairway woods.  As one who finds his game more or less in the middle of the bell curve, I tend to pay attention to what the masses are purchasing - and presumably playing.  I really thought I'd need/want a iron style club for getting out of the thicker rough, but was pleasantly surprised how well both the 5 and 7w worked. In fact, I hit some from partial divots on the thick grass and with the balls sitting quite low - and still launched them pretty good.

Got it. I think the difference between a crossover and a utility is the difference between a gap wedge and an attack wedge. It’s in the name. I could be wrong and there may be a functional difference. I just don’t know what that is. I love my utility iron. It save me a lot of strokes.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a G700 4i head from kijiji locally (Canadian craigslist) and a shaft pull from ebay since it is very close in construction to the crossover while being significantly cheaper. I use it as a driving iron or for low punches out of trouble. It has been a great fairway finder (72% FIR) at 200-220 yards, the power spec would have been a great find in retrospect... It is very easy to hit 100-160 yard bullets with partial swings out of the woods 🙂 . The is so large I am not a big fan of hitting it off the fairway and the loft makes it poorly suited out of the rough. So i find it less flexible than my 17* hybrid which travels the same distance or up to 10 yards further with a higher trajectory.

The G700 4i is  similar in distance to the G410 4i currently in the bag and my old Cobra s3 4i off the tee. I usually default to the G700 for the added forgiveness and it plays 1" shorter with a standard length 5 iron AWT 2.0 shaft (my set is +0.5"), it is left biased due to the offset and I feel the blade length contributes to this as well. 

If you look at the MGS most wanted guides you will see the crossover launches significantly higher than the rest of the driving irons it was compared to and much more similar to hybrids. At the top of the bag you need to give consideration to the type of shots you need to hit and conditions (wind/lies/course layout) similar to your wedges as opposed to focusing solely on gapping like irons. I am currently leaning towards a 17* 5W, 20* G700 "driving iron", and keeping the 17* hybrid while removing the G410 4i. There is some overlap in distances but each club actually gaps about 10 yards in practice and fly on very different trajectories with applications in different lies. 

The "crossover" moniker is the ping equivalent of a utility or driving iron. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Well, I just won a bid on a like new G400 SFT 5w.  I've been hitting the G400 3w so well and consistently that it seemed the logical choice.  I hit the G410 5w and 7w well but actually like the look of the G400 vs. the G410.  So rather than get fit for the G410 5w, I plan to see what the PING Fitter guys can come up with for a set of forged blades 🙂👍