fixyurdivot

Hole-in-One or Lowest Score?

Scoring Trophy  

811 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you rather have (or cherish most)?

• Hole-in-One
    • Round in the 60's
  2. 2. Do you have one or more Aces?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a round in the 60's?

• Yes
    • No

One of our new members has a low round of 64 in his personal best - that's crazy.  It got me to thinking about whether I'd want a 60's score or my first ace.  I'd love both but the odds of that are like next to none.  I just flirted with being -2 for the front nine this past Monday and that required some amazing (for me) sequence of stellar shots.  Shooting in the lower 60's sounds just unobtanium.... lower odds than getting an ace.

How many on the forum have both a hole-in-one and a round in the 60's?  If like me you have neither on your mantle, which one would you prefer?

• Like 9

Interesting topic.. I’d probably say ace because my personal best is a 70, and I know eventually, I’ll get a round in the 60’s. An ace is more just luck, and I’m never guaranteed getting one of those, so I’d pick to cherish more.

• Like 7

I’ll take a 59 please.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

... Shooting in the 60's may involve a lucky chip in or a few long puts that fall, but mostly it takes skill. I have plenty of rounds in the 60's but no HIO. I have two Albatross's and would make the argument they are even luckier than a HIO because I am aiming at the flag on many par 3's but just aiming for the green on my 2nd shot into a par 5. So It seems I have used up all my luck and a HIO is just a wish that probably will never happen. 

• Like 8

I voted for a hole in one because that is all I really have a shot at getting.  To Chisags point I need one lucky shot to get a hole in one but at my skill level I'd need around 12 lucky shots to get into the 60s.

• Like 6

As far as cherishing, a low round is much better IMO. It's 18 holes of great golf. An ace is just one lucky shot. Of course this is coming from someone that doesn't have one...

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I’ll take a 59 please.

Play a par 3 course.   🤣

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

OK, I've had 3 aces.  The first one was exciting, but I didn't see it go in.  My last one was last year, and while it was fun and everyone was excited (for me to buy drinks probably), it was just a great shot that I saw go in.

I have also shot 69 at the Wildfire GC Palmer course in Phoenix.  While aces combine some skill with a lot of luck, a round in the 60's just takes a lot of skill.  In the case of my 69 it took mostly luck though.  Consider the fact that I shot that round nearly 20 years ago when I was an 18 'cap.  Yes, it was a fluke... a fun day out with 3 of my best buddies, and I wasn't even thinking about my score (one of my buddies kept score in the other cart).

I have not been able to break par since, even though I've dropped to an 8 'cap.  I have a couple of 73's but even those were 2 years ago.  With each year that passes I feel that par or better may not happen... maybe if I move up to the senior tees,  which I'm not ready to do yet.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

OK, I've had 3 aces.  The first one was exciting, but I didn't see it go in.  My last one was last year, and while it was fun and everyone was excited (for me to buy drinks probably), it was just a great shot that I saw go in.

I have also shot 69 at the Wildfire GC Palmer course in Phoenix.  While aces combine some skill with a lot of luck, a round in the 60's just takes a lot of skill.  In the case of my 69 it took mostly luck though.  Consider the fact that I shot that round nearly 20 years ago when I was an 18 'cap.  Yes, it was a fluke... a fun day out with 3 of my best buddies, and I wasn't even thinking about my score (one of my buddies kept score in the other cart).

I have not been able to break par since, even though I've dropped to an 8 'cap.  I have a couple of 73's but even those were 2 years ago.  With each year that passes I feel that par or better may not happen... maybe if I move up to the senior tees,  which I'm not ready to do yet.

100.webp?cid=790b76111596c34fb39bec870df

Kenny Rising from all the sand in his pockets. 🤣

That's a great round. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Play a par 3 course.   🤣

An executive maybe. Haha.

With an “ace-a-tros” (par 4 ace), and an ace on a short par 3, I only need a par 5 ace and sub 70, then sub 60 is all that’s left.
  • Like 6

low score trumps all holes in one- I've seen 24 h/cappers get a hole in one. I've seen beginners get a hole in one. I've not seen many golfers shoot in the 60's scratch.

• Like 8

I think low scores are better. I’ve never had a hole in one yet, many times I’ve scared it.

My best feeling in the course was when I shot +4 for 9. It felt that everything was clicking. A hole in one is just hitting a great shot once.

Doing it (hitting the ball well) for 9 or 18 is a great feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

I have two holes-in-one, but nothing lower than 74 as far as total scores go. I’d probably rather the score in the 60s, but I want it at a “legit” course. If I were to say to a buddy, “Dude! I shot 68 today,” and he asked, “Where,” then laughed at my answer, it wouldn’t mean as much as another hole-in-one. My “home” course gives-up very few scores in the 60s, so if there, I’d be good with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Play a par 3 course.   🤣

I'm not sure that would even get me there 😆.

• Like 4

Never had a hole in one but been close a few times.  Closest was 2 inches that was witnessed by a former PGA pro that quoted a time when Hogan told him holes in one were just luck.  I think luck will happen one day and I will get my hole in one;  probably some skulled or fat shot that gets lucky.  

One of my golf goals for the last 5ish years has been to break 70.  Have broken par for 18 half a dozen times with a low score of 70.   The 60s scores are typically lost in the last few holes when the pressure builds.  The 70 came when I was -5 with 2 holes remaining.  Even though I have been struggling lately, I still think the goal is possible.  Probably going to take a few off season lessons to work on improving my ball striking.  

• Like 8

Went 30 years without an ace and finally got one.  Didn't see it actually fall because the pin was tucked.  My low score has never broken par, but a lot of 73-75 rounds.  Can't seem to break that barrier.

Would rather shoot a low round than another ace.  Don't have to buy the bar a round with a low round like you do with an ace 🙂 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

... Shooting in the 60's may involve a lucky chip in or a few long puts that fall, but mostly it takes skill. I have plenty of rounds in the 60's but no HIO. I have two Albatross's and would make the argument they are even luckier than a HIO because I am aiming at the flag on many par 3's but just aiming for the green on my 2nd shot into a par 5. So It seems I have used up all my luck and a HIO is just a wish that probably will never happen. 

That’s incredible actually. The albatross is a much harder feat then a HIO since you are probably hitting a fairway club or long iron in at best from over 200 yards.

As for me, I’ve never shot in the 60s, and never had a HIO. I want the HIO more because I hate the fact that my brother has one and he likes to remind me of that everytime we tee it up.

I flirted with a 69 back in July. I was -3 through 15, as I had 3 birdies and no bogies. Then I rinsed my approach shot on 16 and walked off that hole with double bogey. For an 8 handicap like me, shooting in the 60s will definitely be a harder feat, because you have to be consistently good for 18 holes and stay mentally sharp that entire time. The HIO just requires one lucky shot.

Put another way, I’ve seen a 30 handicap make a HIO and I know he’ll never shoot in the 70s, let alone 60s. That’s golf though.

Good topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7

I would choose lowest score, provided that it was just to reach a scoring milestone you've never reached. I have five rounds in the 80's, but I've never even sniffed a score in the 70's. Right now a 79 would be worth more to me than a hole in one. My personal opinion is that a low score is the culmination of practice paying off and not just one lucky shot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 9

I think I'd choose lowest score. One of my nightmares is getting a hole-in-one while having a horrible round otherwise.
"That's great you got an ace! What did you shoot?"
"95. "

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4
  • Haha 3