Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Hole-in-One or Lowest Score?

fixyurdivot

Scoring Trophy  

1,063 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you rather have (or cherish most)?

• Hole-in-One
    • Round in the 60's
  2. 2. Do you have one or more Aces?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a round in the 60's?

• Yes
    • No

One of our new members has a low round of 64 in his personal best - that's crazy.  It got me to thinking about whether I'd want a 60's score or my first ace.  I'd love both but the odds of that are like next to none.  I just flirted with being -2 for the front nine this past Monday and that required some amazing (for me) sequence of stellar shots.  Shooting in the lower 60's sounds just unobtanium.... lower odds than getting an ace.

How many on the forum have both a hole-in-one and a round in the 60's?  If like me you have neither on your mantle, which one would you prefer?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Interesting topic.. I’d probably say ace because my personal best is a 70, and I know eventually, I’ll get a round in the 60’s. An ace is more just luck, and I’m never guaranteed getting one of those, so I’d pick to cherish more.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

... Shooting in the 60's may involve a lucky chip in or a few long puts that fall, but mostly it takes skill. I have plenty of rounds in the 60's but no HIO. I have two Albatross's and would make the argument they are even luckier than a HIO because I am aiming at the flag on many par 3's but just aiming for the green on my 2nd shot into a par 5. So It seems I have used up all my luck and a HIO is just a wish that probably will never happen. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I voted for a hole in one because that is all I really have a shot at getting.  To Chisags point I need one lucky shot to get a hole in one but at my skill level I'd need around 12 lucky shots to get into the 60s.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

As far as cherishing, a low round is much better IMO. It's 18 holes of great golf. An ace is just one lucky shot. Of course this is coming from someone that doesn't have one...

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

OK, I've had 3 aces.  The first one was exciting, but I didn't see it go in.  My last one was last year, and while it was fun and everyone was excited (for me to buy drinks probably), it was just a great shot that I saw go in.

I have also shot 69 at the Wildfire GC Palmer course in Phoenix.  While aces combine some skill with a lot of luck, a round in the 60's just takes a lot of skill.  In the case of my 69 it took mostly luck though.  Consider the fact that I shot that round nearly 20 years ago when I was an 18 'cap.  Yes, it was a fluke... a fun day out with 3 of my best buddies, and I wasn't even thinking about my score (one of my buddies kept score in the other cart).

I have not been able to break par since, even though I've dropped to an 8 'cap.  I have a couple of 73's but even those were 2 years ago.  With each year that passes I feel that par or better may not happen... maybe if I move up to the senior tees,  which I'm not ready to do yet.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

OK, I've had 3 aces.  The first one was exciting, but I didn't see it go in.  My last one was last year, and while it was fun and everyone was excited (for me to buy drinks probably), it was just a great shot that I saw go in.

I have also shot 69 at the Wildfire GC Palmer course in Phoenix.  While aces combine some skill with a lot of luck, a round in the 60's just takes a lot of skill.  In the case of my 69 it took mostly luck though.  Consider the fact that I shot that round nearly 20 years ago when I was an 18 'cap.  Yes, it was a fluke... a fun day out with 3 of my best buddies, and I wasn't even thinking about my score (one of my buddies kept score in the other cart).

I have not been able to break par since, even though I've dropped to an 8 'cap.  I have a couple of 73's but even those were 2 years ago.  With each year that passes I feel that par or better may not happen... maybe if I move up to the senior tees,  which I'm not ready to do yet.

100.webp?cid=790b76111596c34fb39bec870df

Kenny Rising from all the sand in his pockets. 🤣

That's a great round. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

low score trumps all holes in one- I've seen 24 h/cappers get a hole in one. I've seen beginners get a hole in one. I've not seen many golfers shoot in the 60's scratch.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I think low scores are better. I’ve never had a hole in one yet, many times I’ve scared it.

My best feeling in the course was when I shot +4 for 9. It felt that everything was clicking. A hole in one is just hitting a great shot once.

Doing it (hitting the ball well) for 9 or 18 is a great feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I have two holes-in-one, but nothing lower than 74 as far as total scores go. I’d probably rather the score in the 60s, but I want it at a “legit” course. If I were to say to a buddy, “Dude! I shot 68 today,” and he asked, “Where,” then laughed at my answer, it wouldn’t mean as much as another hole-in-one. My “home” course gives-up very few scores in the 60s, so if there, I’d be good with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Play a par 3 course.   🤣

I'm not sure that would even get me there 😆.

Never had a hole in one but been close a few times.  Closest was 2 inches that was witnessed by a former PGA pro that quoted a time when Hogan told him holes in one were just luck.  I think luck will happen one day and I will get my hole in one;  probably some skulled or fat shot that gets lucky.  

One of my golf goals for the last 5ish years has been to break 70.  Have broken par for 18 half a dozen times with a low score of 70.   The 60s scores are typically lost in the last few holes when the pressure builds.  The 70 came when I was -5 with 2 holes remaining.  Even though I have been struggling lately, I still think the goal is possible.  Probably going to take a few off season lessons to work on improving my ball striking.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Went 30 years without an ace and finally got one.  Didn't see it actually fall because the pin was tucked.  My low score has never broken par, but a lot of 73-75 rounds.  Can't seem to break that barrier.

Would rather shoot a low round than another ace.  Don't have to buy the bar a round with a low round like you do with an ace 🙂 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

... Shooting in the 60's may involve a lucky chip in or a few long puts that fall, but mostly it takes skill. I have plenty of rounds in the 60's but no HIO. I have two Albatross's and would make the argument they are even luckier than a HIO because I am aiming at the flag on many par 3's but just aiming for the green on my 2nd shot into a par 5. So It seems I have used up all my luck and a HIO is just a wish that probably will never happen. 

That’s incredible actually. The albatross is a much harder feat then a HIO since you are probably hitting a fairway club or long iron in at best from over 200 yards.

As for me, I’ve never shot in the 60s, and never had a HIO. I want the HIO more because I hate the fact that my brother has one and he likes to remind me of that everytime we tee it up.

I flirted with a 69 back in July. I was -3 through 15, as I had 3 birdies and no bogies. Then I rinsed my approach shot on 16 and walked off that hole with double bogey. For an 8 handicap like me, shooting in the 60s will definitely be a harder feat, because you have to be consistently good for 18 holes and stay mentally sharp that entire time. The HIO just requires one lucky shot.

Put another way, I’ve seen a 30 handicap make a HIO and I know he’ll never shoot in the 70s, let alone 60s. That’s golf though.

Good topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I would choose lowest score, provided that it was just to reach a scoring milestone you've never reached. I have five rounds in the 80's, but I've never even sniffed a score in the 70's. Right now a 79 would be worth more to me than a hole in one. My personal opinion is that a low score is the culmination of practice paying off and not just one lucky shot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think I'd choose lowest score. One of my nightmares is getting a hole-in-one while having a horrible round otherwise.
"That's great you got an ace! What did you shoot?"
"95. "

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

3 hours ago, SeeMore Putts said:

I think I'd choose lowest score. One of my nightmares is getting a hole-in-one while having a horrible round otherwise.
"That's great you got an ace! What did you shoot?"
"95. emoji2961.png"

... Haha reminds me of my cousin. He has 3 HIO's and has never broken 100. I was with him when he hit a 5 wood worm burner down a hill, hopped over a small creek, rolled up onto the green and in the hole. I was giving him a stroke and hit an 8 iron to 5 feet, made the birdie putt and lost the hole by 2 strokes. He said "I don't care if you tell people I topped a 5 wood down the hill for an ace, but please don't tell them I used a 5 wood from 158 yds. 🤣   

... A few years late he hit a 30 yd slice on a short par 3 that went in the side of the hole. The Golf Gods obviously have a sense of humor. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I put the hole in hole as Ive never had one. Round in the 60s would take far superior skill, but the ace sounds better for the girls. If I played more par 3 courses or executives, my odds of an ace would sky rocket as I scare the hole often. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Definitely a round in the 60s for me.  My low round is 73, which I've done four or five times.  My low nine is 34 (-2), but that came after a 42.  I feel that apple in my throat when I'm around even par on the 16th tee.

I've had two holes in one so far, and a full-shot hole out eagle.  Interestingly enough - I caddied for nine years; I probably saw north of 3,000 rounds as a caddy.  I never saw a hole in one.  To be fair, though, the course I caddied at did only have three par threes.  

I've never seen one from a playing partner either.  And I've seen both of my daughters hit the stick on par threes.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I've had 4 aces but a round in the 60's is far more satisfying. In fact, my first HIO was in 1993. I still had no real control over my golf ball and I remember taking 4 or 5 practice swings until I felt something akin to confidence and saying "if I can just repeat that, it will be good." I had 131 yards and I hit my Titleist Tour Balata with my Lnyx Parallax 9 iron right into the hole and shot 87 on the day. Exciting? Absolutely. Lucky? Completely! Shooting a solid score in the 60's is a completely different animal and something I find infinitely more satisfying. That said, I haven't had a hole in one in probably 15 years and I've never really had a great score with an ace on the card so a combination of the two would be great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

On 11/23/2019 at 4:08 AM, GSwag said:

That’s incredible actually. The albatross is a much harder feat then a HIO since you are probably hitting a fairway club or long iron in at best from over 200 yards.

Indeed.  According to this article, @chisagis really breaking the odds. 

image.png.275acb06be803d33ac0ba977aeb3ad24.png

I've been fortunate enough to have both.  I've had two aces and enough rounds in the 60's that I don't remember all of them.  We aren't talking 100's but we are talking 40 or 50. 

My two lowest rounds were 66 and 68 and those both came in competition, the 68 on a fairly difficult course - the 66 was on a not so tough par 70 and it was match play.  My opponent gave me a few putts none of which were likely to be missed until the one that he wanted to give me on 18 - I don't recall how long it was other than it was miss-able.  I begged him to rescind the concession and after I explained why, he did.

I'd love another round in the 60's.  I shot a 70 earlier this season so close.  I think that I still may have one a two in me so long as I play the proper set of tees.  Right now I would rather log another Ace.  If I make it to 70 and am still healthy enough I'd love to shoot my age sometime.  That would be cool.  I played with a guy in my golf league who was in his early 80's and shot his age regularly, God rest his soul.   

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If it's a one-time only sort of thing, then I think I'd prefer to have an ace. Sharing a story about the one time I broke 70 just seems a little less magical to me for whatever reason. Now, give me a season of scores in the 60's then yeah... THAT! Lol.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Currently 42/100 of us have an Hole-in-One.  I'm actually amazed it's that high and even more sad that I'm in the 58/100 group 😥.

Also, the data suggests those that have them on their mantle, have more than one... seems to follow lottery and sweepstake statistics... some are simply luckier than others. 🙂

I know I said I'd like 60's more; but I'm still working on that "Broke 80" badge.  Maybe a HIO would get me closer to both 🙂

A hole in one, a few lucky putts, a ton of lucky misses, and I'd maybe get that 79 🤣🙂

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :Fuji: Motore X F3 R 

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg PXV R. Aldila RIP 70 R; King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), Project X LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter